Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Cyberpunk 2077 Released

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Dec 10, 2020.

1. RRRrrr Arcane

RRRrrr
    I haven't tried it on Nvidia Now yet, but I can confirm Nvidia Now works fine, as long as your connection is good.

^ Top  
  2. Trojan_generic Magister

Trojan_generic
    On the other hand, some of the stuff rated "Overwhelmingly positive" on Steam is quite shit.

Downloaded this turd - installed - playing maybe next year if I have the time.

^ Top  
  3. sigard Learned

sigard
    The most important question:
    Is this game a shitty popamole dogshit already for codexian edgelords?

• Yes Yes x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    If there were, this certainly isn't one of them.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Diggfinger Cipher

Diggfinger
    Metacritic 91% though...thats usually pretty solid, I believe.

Mr Matty (F:NV lover) says the game is solid and progression systems complex and worthwhile.
    Mix of skill trees and progressing by using skills (a la Oblivion) which encourages different builds.

Biggest downside bugs (mostly solved with latest patch) and some 'fake' skill-checks.

• Shit Shit x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Would it be accurate to say that they made hub-style content like that found in Bloodlines and The Outer Worlds and put it in a pointless open world?

• No No x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Open-world is pointless only from a gameplay design perspective, not so pointless from the financial one. Sales numbers are the best proof of it.

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MarxistPlato Novice

MarxistPlato
    Isn't that Mr. MattyPlays a guy who said that Fallout 4 is a near perfect game? I would rather have opinion from some codexer that plays these amiga games, see shit through these 1 pixel-on-screen-graphics and calling them all-time RPG's.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    The initial idea behind Daggerfall, as expressed by its lead designer, was that the computer would be your DM and shuffle the furniture of the world around behind the scenes, on the fly, according to your choices.

The game fell far short of that ofc, and open world games since then have tended to rely on a bunch of kludgy tropes because of the difficulty of implementing such an idea; but the idea, as a gameplay design idea, at least in terms of aspiration, is sound. It's probably just going to take a few more iterations in terms of computer horsepower and AI before it can be fully implemented.

Once graphics are "done" (which I think we're fairly close to, in the large, since the incremental improvements there are getting tinier and tinier, and once RT is solid we'll be pretty much there), then I think developers will probably focus again on implementing that idea - much better AI, and a game that's actually quasi-intelligent, and interacts with the player more.

And it's going to be glorious :)

It's what a lot of people have always wanted from games, a virtual world that's a mirror. The ultimate in narcissism :)

• Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. jac8awol Savant

jac8awol
    Well the obvious takeaway is that they forgot about a core tenet of Cyberpunk: the high-tech/ low-life dichotomy. They were too busy focusing on the next gen super performance graphics, that they forgot their main audience is a scumbag gamer with a 5 year old potato rig that will crash to desktop just from gog galaxy. Amateurs!

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. tritosine2k Augur

tritosine2k
    yeah just like hollywood cgi is pretty much there with their 1000s of processors at WETA and they tackled weather/weathering/time of day/fluids/RT and it's not hours per preview of a single frame.

Oh wait..

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    The design goal of Daggerfall will never be achieved because it is financially problematic. A game you can play over and over with amazing gameplay and storyline? Have you ever heard of something called capitalism mate? Because that system will never allow such a game. How will they make money after you have such a game?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    By and large, I don't think gamers are that attuned to a quest for absolute realism. In fact, I'd say graphics are actually good enough for "realistic" games right now, and the real "uncanny valley" problems are things like animation (esp facial), janky shoulders, weird body morphing, etc., etc.

I mean I'm sure they could implement a proper musculo-skeletal emulation right now, but it's probably too "expensive" - but lack of that is the big area where the illusion breaks down, especially when it's animated. The problem areas aren't textures, surfaces, reflections, etc., any more (PBR was a big step forward). That's all close enough for jazz now. What we need now is things like muscles squishing appropriately against body - given the bone limits underneath - and that sort of thing, and getting away from figures being just hollow shapes that morph. We need weight and momentum emulation too, etc. Ragdolls are still lamentable. Even hair and cloth still have some way to go.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Make a better one?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Necroscope Arcane

Necroscope
    Codex 2014
    The word on the street is that the game is shallow, buggy and with lots of spectacular but uninteractive decoys. I really hope the butthurt and apologism will be of the second coming magnitude.

• incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I suppose DLC with increase interactivity?

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    I dont see how this is relevant. I'm not saying you can't achieve the design goal, just that no studio that could do it would try to because its not good for the bottom line. Sorry your edgy one liner was misplaced.

^ Top  
  18. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    So you're saying developers purposely make shitty games to toss into the trash after a playthrough or two?

^ Top  
  19. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    Not shitty mate, just not with extensive procedural content.

^ Top  
  20. Markman da Blitz master Patron

Markman
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They got their money back and doubled it at midnight. God damn

^ Top  
  21. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    That should just about cover Keanu's wages at least :)

^ Top  
  22. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  23. Outmind Augur

Outmind

Go to Steam and look at the second-highest-rated negative review by a user called Hypo. they bring up valid points across the board, but the comment section underneath is an utter shitshow.

^ Top  
  24. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    I would not call Daggefall having "extensive procedural content", it had about like 8 templates and all of the random quests were pretty much the same simply ones just switching the where and what ... not much difference of guarding the Fighters Guild (that pretty much bog down to be there at x time and kill the spawned enemies) and go to a house and kill the spawned enemies there, they were "functional" when they worked because it wasnt that rare the game deciding to spawn the item on a unreachable location.

Daggerfall fame was the scope of having such a large landmass that wasnt separated by loading screens (even if it was certainly loading cells) that is still impressive today but it was mostly irrelevant, the dungeons also had a tendency to break in some form.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Ah ok. I see what you mean. Yeah, even boomer-types like Hellgate london had a bit too much of that.... way too much and not enough original areas. CP2077 is loaded with this? Ugh! Will definitely wait until the very last patch and DLC ultimate edition is on mega sale then.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.