Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyberpunk 2077 Released

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Not shitty mate, just not with extensive procedural content.

I would not call Daggefall having "extensive procedural content", it had about like 8 templates and all of the random quests were pretty much the same simply ones just switching the where and what ... not much difference of guarding the Fighters Guild (that pretty much bog down to be there at x time and kill the spawned enemies) and go to a house and kill the spawned enemies there, they were "functional" when they worked because it wasnt that rare the game deciding to spawn the item on a unreachable location.

Daggerfall fame was the scope of having such a large landmass that wasnt separated by loading screens (even if it was certainly loading cells) that is still impressive today but it was mostly irrelevant, the dungeons also had a tendency to break in some form.

If you read the quote I originally referenced it talked about the "goal" of Daggerfell. The computer was your DM and the game would generate cool scenarios comparable to or superior to tabletop.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Superior to tabletop? Oh that's fucking laughable.

crazy%20laughing%20dog.gif

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Tabletop isn't limited to the constraints of a program. The GM/DM can literally pull anything out of nothing. Players can be as dynamic and try to anything. If the GM doesn't allow for it like say you want to dig through a wall with a butter knife well... they're close-minded. A bunch of eye candy and strict adherence like a robot is just limiting. Of course if neither players or GM have no imagination or abilities to add/subtract/read, etc then play your CRPG. Superior? Like how? Its like saying just because you win at assassins creed or battlefront from your couch that makes you an expert assassin or soldier irl. Pshhhh...

Until you get a holodeck CRPGS are just number crunching VN wannabes compared to tabletop storyteller game masters and adept players.

Nyast

Cipher
Been playing. It's an RPG-lite version of sci-fi GTA / Watch dogs. It has its charm, the visuals look awesome sometimes, look crap sometimes, and none of its gameplay element is great or never-seen before. So the reality is that it's neither a garbage game nor a great game. Something in between. Maybe a 7/10.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a pretty good game, I really like it.

Could be a Goty for me but with the caveat that I have not played many of the 2020 releases and that I am not through the story.

It's definitely not an RPG more of a Stylish GTA with a nice RPG addition, I really like how the dialogues are done, very impressive not super excited about the actual dialogues though.
The main missions are pretty fun and varied, gunplay is great. I am going through enemies like they are butter with a SMG INT/TECH build, mass vulnerability is just to strong, having my weapons always at level cap is probably the other deciding factor no bullet sponge enemies for me, on Hard.

The game looks amazing, but I have high end hardware and thus far have not encountered many bad bugs, two crashes, twice stuck somewhere temporarily nothing that cost me more than 20 secs of my play time. Loads of minor visual bugs that are pretty ugly but do not really impact the enjoyment for me but are annoying.

The story hook is a bit wierd, feels a bit like babies fist Cyberpunk run at the start and is a bit weak. Even though a classical story (beginning) does not break a game if the story is expertedly told which they are through the graphical systems they have used.

Male Vs Voice is kinda shit, so are the menus. I have not bothered changing my armor at all, as enemies die so fast I am barely getting hit and thats a good thing as I hate the mix and match system of the tiered clothing. I just bought something halway not retarded looking and stuck with it. Now as a techie I am disassembling everything anyways so I am not bothering much with Inventory management. And honestly that aspects looks pretty Ass. Driving of which you do much is also pretty ass.

Side content is not really great, so it's sanbox standard fare, most of the time, which is bad but nothing to harmful as the gameplay remains fun thus far.

So the game excels in many places, and I am sure will Impact a lot going forward, for good reason. I am really interested in how impactful decisions are as well, some decisions seem to be *extremely* impactful if they are actually there and not just well faked, I need to replay the game for that.

Now, though.

I said it may be Goty for me, but at the same time, this is not an RPG its a very well executed take on the GTA 5 formula when it comes to character differentiation, therefore it will not be my pick for RPG of the year that would be just not be right compared to the other games I have played this year (of which Wasteland 3, was a actually positive surprise)

Hype was worth it, but I am biased by being a SR player for decades, the game looks absolutely amazing in some places when it comes to the dark and gritty style of the Cyberpunk genre. I believe one of the areas you can fight a Cyberpsycho battle in is modelled after the first combat scene of Ghost in the shell and fucking amazingly so.

Nyast

Cipher
It is an RPG. A good one ? that's debatable, but it's not less of an RPG than, say, Witcher 3 or Outer Wilds were. It has xp, levels ( in fact multiple ones ), an inventory, tons of enhancements / gear / loot, crafting, multiple skill trees to unlock in parallel, a main quest and tons of side quests. It even has choice & consequences for many quests. I fail to see how it's an rpg-lite or not-an-rpg-at-all.

That being said, none of its elements are all that great. The UI is bad, with tons of junk loot that accumulates, sorting is hard, and managing your inventory/gear requires so many clicks it's not funny. You'll have dozens of weapons and items and 99% of it isn't any better than your current gear, and you'll have to sell/disassemble these items one-by-one. There are worse UIs there, but I certainly would rate it as under average.

Dialogues are the typical "choose between 2 lines but only what you say is different, the flow of the discussion remains the same" which is cringe. The skills you can unlock aren't too impressive and original and often feels like they ran out of ideas just to increase their quantity ( taking less damage from your own grenades ? really ? ). Gunfights are of the looter-shooter style ( bloated unless you have a really good weapon and hit the head ) which I kinda hate.

It has tons of "gamey" elements that break immersion. Police that conveniently spawns nearby ( even if there was nothing 10 seconds ago ) when you hit somebody with your car.. also everything is ultra scripted and must be done exactly in the order the designers want to. Best example: I had a side quest about retrieving an item from a gang. After doing so, I need to exit the "fight area" to contact my fixer. Instead I called her on the phone one meter still inside the action zone. She doesn't answer the phone. I walk out one meter out of the zone, and 2 seconds later, guess who's calling me...

What remains is a game with a pretty engaging main story ( not that it's very original, of course, but then tons of older games/sci-fi series got inspired by Cyberpunk. So who copied who ? The loop is looped.. ) and I genuinely want to see more. The side quests are pretty good. The city is very detailed and has the illusion of life ( illusion that gets destroyed if you watch carefully, of course ). So as I said, it's not the greated RPG ( or game ) ever, but it does have its moments and I'm looking forward to playing more.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dialogues are the typical "choose between 2 lines but only what you say is different, the flow of the discussion remains the same" which is cringe.

ugh! I should have figured it'd be like that.

1eyedking

Erudite
Terribly bad game. Some general observations from 4-5 hours of playtime, of which you need even less to come to the following conclusions:
  • Graphics, technically speaking, are bad. Seen way better use of pretty much every resource they implemented (dynamic lighting, screen space reflections, temporal anti-aliasing, etc.)—RED engine is a mess
  • Visual design I won't even comment—though I guess if you're a degenerate this game is the bee's knees
  • Optimization is beyond terrible. At this stage lowering crowd density is a must, and so is disabling motion blur. For crying out loud the latter isn't even meant to be a resource hog...
  • Main story is retarded and unsalvageable, consisting of "You got Keanu in your brain! You must become the Cyberpunk! Trust no one!" tripe
  • Underwhelming presentation of characters: too rushed, no attachment generated, constantly bombarded by meaningless NPCs with zero personality
  • Prologues don't mean shit and all converge into you becoming a Street Kid. It adds some extra dialogue lines but most of them except for very few are purely cosmetic and have no meaningful impact.
  • Leftist propaganda on literally every lore dump item you find that feels completely out of place
  • RPG quest and combat gameplay is retardedly basic and consists of the following:
  1. Way of the Bullet Sponge*: shoot stuff for a long time until it dies
  2. Way of the Smash*: spam attack with melee (faster than Way of the Bullet Sponge)
  3. Way of the Distract Guard*: spam distract and kill enemy when not looking
*: you must repeat these mechanics for all enemies in the vicinity. They're also incredibly unsatisfying.​
  • Hacking HUD is ugly, and most hacks are retarded and take too much time to develop and for the effect to happen
  • UI is a clusterfuck; very basic design mistakes such as guns in the inventory not being even sorted by type (pistol/shotgun/rifle/sniper/etc.)
  • Sounds missing from a lot of events/actions (doors closing, hands clapping)
  • Music consists of mostly rap, pop, synthpop, and hip-hop in a setting that is crying out for tasteful synthwave, of which there is very little and nothing to write home about
  • And I saved the worst for last, which is that the general flow of the game is a terrible drudge: roam around map, fixer calls you when near POI, solve POI via Way of the Bullet Sponge/Smash/Distract Guard, sweep the encounter for clutter items/weapons (which is torture), sort inventory by DPS, sell lower DPS items, repeat—it's a war of attrition against boredom and just quitting the game
I don't even understand how this thing took 8 years to develop.

It's a fucking trainwreck.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
  • Graphics, technically speaking, are bad. Seen way better use of pretty much every resource they implemented (dynamic lighting, screen space reflections, temporal anti-aliasing, etc.)—RED engine is a mess

I know opinion is subjective but I genuinely don't understand people saying the graphics look bad ( performance is another debate ) and I'd really like to understand. Do you seriously think the graphics are horrible ? Or are you playing in low at 720p ? I mean just watch that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZp8fXLXgqg

Is that really your definition of "bad graphics" ? If these are your definition of bad, then what games do you consider have good graphics ?

1eyedking

Erudite
I know opinion is subjective but I genuinely don't understand people saying the graphics look bad ( performance is another debate ) and I'd really like to understand. Do you seriously think the graphics are horrible ? Or are you playing in low at 720p ? I mean just watch that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZp8fXLXgqg

Is that really your definition of "bad graphics" ? If these are your definition of bad, then what games do you consider have good graphics ?
Opinions are not subjective.

Take RDR2 for example, in which pretty much every technology implemented is outright better-looking and optimized (which is to say a lot given RDR2's optimization is shit):
  • Ambient lighting
  • Dynamic lighting
  • Mirroring (for fuck's sake in CP2077 you have to enable/disable mirrors because the code is so badly implemented)
  • Long-distance shadowing
  • Ambient occlusion
  • Temporal anti-aliasing
  • Mesh scaling
  • Screen space reflections
  • Volumetric effects
  • Motion blur
You can also take Alien Isolation as a, though less recent, good example of both implementation and optimization, though I'll admit the temporal anti-aliasing isn't great (fixable with a mod).

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
  • Mirroring (for fuck's sake in CP2077 you have to enable/disable mirrors because the code is so badly implemented)

Mirrors are a new technology only recently made available in games due to the advancements in hardware, like ray tracing, >12 cores processors, and so on, so it is only natural that the current implementations are somewhat lacking. Still, props to Cyberpunk for bravely implementing it.

bj4TDfj.png

Nyast

Cipher
Take RDR2 for example, in which pretty much every technology implemented is outright better-looking and optimized (which is to say a lot given RDR2's optimization is shit):
  • Ambient lighting
  • Dynamic lighting
  • Long-distance shadowing
  • Ambient occlusion
  • Temporal anti-aliasing
  • Mesh scaling
  • Screen space reflections
  • Volumetric effects
  • Motion blur
You can also take Alien Isolation as a, though less recent, good example of both implementation and optimization, though I'll admit the temporal anti-aliasing isn't great (fixable with a mod).

You just posted a list of features, from one of the best-looking games ( RDR2 ), most of which are implemented in CB2077 and you haven't said a word or given examples ( except maybe the mirrors ) on why RDR2's implementation is superior.

Even then, that's not even what I wanted to point out. You didn't say "CB2077 doesn't look as good as RDR2". You said it looked like crap. So what I'm questionning is your choice of words. You could've said it wasn't the most impressive game, that the tech had its issues, etc.. but no no, you said it looked bad. So if CB2077 is bad, how would you call a game like Underworld Ascendent for example ? or Underrail ? or any of the indie RPGs, really ? Or maybe you were only comparing it with other AAA games ? so let me rephrase the question: would you say a game like Doom: Eternal looks good or bad ? Or Watchdog: Legion, for something more directly comparable ? I'm not trying to attack you there, I'm genuinely curious about all these people calling the game "crap" when I think it's one of the better looking games ( not "the best", mind you ) released this year.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Mirrors are a new technology only recently made available in games due to the advancements in hardware, like ray tracing, >12 cores processors, and so on, so it is only natural that the current implementations are somewhat lacking. Still, props to Cyberpunk for bravely implementing it.

bj4TDfj.png

It is not mirror.

It is another room with same stats.

racofer

Thread Incliner

bj4TDfj.png

It is not mirror.

It is another room with same stats.
Does it matter? Do you want to implement actual wind physics on games too, instead of simulating their effects on the environment/objects?

Arthandas

Prophet
Judging by the typical Steam forum discussion, half of that morons are barely literate and THEY GAVE THEM A BOOK HAHAHAHAHA
tenor.gif

Arthandas

Prophet
Opinions are not subjective.
All opinions by definition are subjective.
RDR2 looks so bland it's putting me to sleep just by looking at it. I couldn't care less what kind of technology powers it and how good is it implemented when everything looks like 50 shades of shit.
CP looks awesome and basically fuck you :) Only a filthy console peasant playing it on PS4 could say it looks bad.

Akkarin

Literate
From what I have seen thus far its an adventure-ish rpg set in an open world. It is not a sci-fi GTA, and its not a cyberpunk Skyrim. This, combined with some of their marketing choices, naturally upsets some parts of the mainstream audience. And although I would not judge the choices and consequences before I played through the game twice, it will probably not satisfy rpgcodex. But the PC game (cant speak for the console ports. which appear to be a mess) is a solid-to good effort that will most likely turn out to be great once most of the technical issues are fixed and the DLCs are out.

I dont really understand the critique of the skill system etc. as "dumbed down". Although I think individual perk nodes could use some polishing (a few too many +x%), its perfectly in line with if not better than your average post-2010 AAA rpg. With a bit of tweaking it has the potential to be quite a bit better even.

Leftist propaganda on literally every lore dump item you find that feels completely out of place

Politics ? In my Cyberpunk ? Its more likely than you think.

Not having mirrors despite having raytracing is a bit embarassing though.

JustMyOnion

Educated
Feels like an Ubisoft title, except that braindead monkeys were doing the QA instead of writing dialogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom