Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyberpunk 2077 Released

gulagdandy

Novice
The best looking, most immersive urban setting in any video game ever--for whatever is worth. The story is solid and feels like something out of William Gibson's 1980's catalogue, and you can tell it's really not what mainstream audiences expected. I insist, if you like actual cyberpunk literature (Gibson, Sterling, Stpehenson, etc.) you'll probably enjoy the story. It takes the character archetypes, the concepts, and the rest of the tropes, and mixes and matches them in its own way; it doesn't go beyond that, but it doesn't fall short either, imo.

The gameplay itself... it's RPG-lite, of course. In an ideal world, there would be classes not focused on combat that would have to solve different problems with different tools: there's none of that here. The leveling system is a pick of gung ho or stealth. The combat is good enough, nothing spectacular but some guns feel pretty good and the stealth playstyle is not significantly worse than the new deus ex games.

The open world is a mixed bag. It's so good looking that just driving around in it is satisfactory, but it's very barebones in terms of things to do: no barbershop/hair salon, no tattoo studio, no cosmetic surgery (all things I was sure would be in the game), no faction system with the local gangs, no different player house options. There are more emergent storytelling options than you would think: sometimes a simple interaction can trigger a quest that wasn't marked in the map beforehand.

TL, DR: A fun "classic cyberpunk" story in an astoundingly good looking environment, but light on RPG elements and open world activities, and surprisingly lacking on choice and consequence.

AndrewCC

Educated
I think they wanted to get out the base gameworld and the base story, and there's (hopefully) gonna be much more C&C in the DLC, and character customisation in-game in the FREE DLC.
I'm like 40h in and I'm not bored yet (mostly just exploring, and doing side-quests).

gulagdandy

Novice
That's what I'm thinking too, though I'm curious as to how will all this negative press affect their post-launch plans. I'm sure CDPR expected a much more laudatory reception. I'm probably close to 30 hours and I'm still really into it, don't forsee losing interest anytime soon though completing the main story will certainly change that to some degree.

Miserable Panda

Educated
This game is a mediocre - good at its best - action game, with a nice script and good visual quality. Unfortunately, it can hardly be considered an RPG, and that's what bothers me the most. CDPR developed Witcher 2, so I fail to understand how they failed so much in providing some agency to the player. I'm quite disappointed to say the least.

gulagdandy

Novice
This game is a mediocre - good at its best - action game, with a nice script and good visual quality. Unfortunately, it can hardly be considered an RPG, and that's what bothers me the most. CDPR developed Witcher 2, so I fail to understand how they failed so much in providing some agency to the player. I'm quite disappointed to say the least.

I agree it's disappointingly light on RPG elements, to the point where it might make sense to call it an action game with RPG mechanics instead of the other way around, but calling it a mediocre action game is a bit disingenuous in my opinion. It's a sublime action game, and a disapointing RPG.

Diggfinger

Arcane
The best looking, most immersive urban setting in any video game ever--for whatever is worth. The story is solid and feels like something out of William Gibson's 1980's catalogue, and you can tell it's really not what mainstream audiences expected. I insist, if you like actual cyberpunk literature (Gibson, Sterling, Stpehenson, etc.) you'll probably enjoy the story. It takes the character archetypes, the concepts, and the rest of the tropes, and mixes and matches them in its own way; it doesn't go beyond that, but it doesn't fall short either, imo.

The gameplay itself... it's RPG-lite, of course. In an ideal world, there would be classes not focused on combat that would have to solve different problems with different tools: there's none of that here. The leveling system is a pick of gung ho or stealth. The combat is good enough, nothing spectacular but some guns feel pretty good and the stealth playstyle is not significantly worse than the new deus ex games.

The open world is a mixed bag. It's so good looking that just driving around in it is satisfactory, but it's very barebones in terms of things to do: no barbershop/hair salon, no tattoo studio, no cosmetic surgery (all things I was sure would be in the game), no faction system with the local gangs, no different player house options. There are more emergent storytelling options than you would think: sometimes a simple interaction can trigger a quest that wasn't marked in the map beforehand.

TL, DR: A fun "classic cyberpunk" story in an astoundingly good looking environment, but light on RPG elements and open world activities, and surprisingly lacking on choice and consequence.

Fully agree!

40H in and having tons of fun. Just dont except a huge RPG, rather an action game with some RPG and open world elements tacked on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom