Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Cyberpunk 2077 Reviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

Only three days remain until the release of Cyberpunk 2077. The Internet is already inundated with leaked gameplay footage, and today the review embargo officially lifted for the PC version. It shouldn't be a surprise that most of the review scores are quite high, including several perfect scores. I won't bother trying to exhaustively summarize them, but in short, Cyberpunk 2077 is a massive game with tons of content, including a few stand-out side quests with a more humane touch. However, it's also somewhat janky and despite the hopes for an "open world Deus Ex" is not really an immersive sim, and a few of the reviews have penalized it for those reasons. Here's the list of today's reviews, including a video from IGN:

There are also several outlets that have published review-in-progress articles, and of course the console reviews will be coming at a later date as well. Note that no gameplay footage is included with any of these. The embargo on that will lift on December 9th.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CNET:

Which brings me to a major twist: I first saw the credits of Cyberpunk 2077 roll after about 26 hours of gameplay. I spent around 85% of my time to that point on the main quest line, so you could probably see an ending in 20 hours if you rush it. After early reports about the game's length, this was surprise.
[...]
While you can technically finish the game in just over 20 hours, don't let that make you think Cyberpunk 2077 isn't gigantic. I suspect you could spend well over 100 quality hours exploring Night City and dealing with the people that inhabit it.

Plenty of gamers will find Cyberpunk too much. It has a slow start -- you'll play for about four hours before even seeing the "Cyberpunk 2077" title screen -- and sometimes the main story moves at too slow a pace. Additionally, the roleplaying elements allow for varied combat, but some may find them needlessly complex, or simply overwhelming. (The features I've noted above are truly just the beginning.)

A lot of people don't want to spend 50 hours playing one game, much less 200 hours to 100% it, and would rather a more linear, streamlined experience. Even with its shorter main quest, Cyberpunk is unlikely to sustain this type of player from start to end.

But Cyberpunk 2077 isn't designed for that type of player. Anyone who's followed the game knows what they're in for. Players keen for a world to get lost in, a game to sink untold hours into, will be satiated by Cyberpunk 2077.

thinking.png

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Immersive sim" is right now the single greatest red herring created to distract from the fact that the gameplay is subpar and the writing is lacking. I wonder how it will work in this game.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
7/10 from Gamespot? That's the closest to a shit rating they'll hand out. Apparently Polack Bethesda lacks the zloty to pay them off.

Jinn

Arcane
Looks like it's stat-lite, slightly more than Witcher 3.

How so? This actually has stats, whereas W3 had the joke that was the ability and mutagen system.

Does it have stats or is it just a shooter with dialogue?

The 5 main attributes are Body, Intelligence, Reflexes, Technical, and Cool. Each are tied to a perk tree. As far as I can tell, this has more character customization, build variety, and progression than W3 had, but that's not saying much.

Skdursh

Savant
Seems like a lot of the complaints I'm seeing is the game has trannies, but doesn't have trannies as the central focus so because of that it's "stuck in the past". Also, sometimes it isn't "sensitive", which as we all know is tantamount to genocide.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Cyber pacifist since pacifism is a thing now? You know, even though Vampyre BL2 was floundering, this is like a nuclear powered cyber-stake to its heart.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
It appears the game will be EXACTLY like Witcher 3. Generally poor main story with wacky side quests being it's high point. Negligible RPG elements with simple "Need X STR to break open this door" and generic perks giving percentage bonuses to dmg/bleed chance/reload speed. Melee combat seems to resemble Gothic 3 with attacks stunlocking enemies (something firearms do not do) and gunfigts "feel like Mass Effect". Enemies appear to be exceptionally stupid as well. Also:

Cyberpunk 2077 is phenomenally buggy.
The sex scenes are all POV-style to fit with the game's first-person perspective, and they are awkward. One was so awful that I actually rolled back my save and told the guy I'd rather be friends instead.
There's a great deal of lore surrounding Night City but most of it is communicated unimaginatively through text files you pickup as loot. The history that precedes 2077 is fascinating, but you'll have to go out of your way, and have a high tolerance for reading long in-game text files, to learn about it.
It often feels like Reeves is sleepwalking through his lines, especially compared to the deeply felt character performances surrounding him. That almost works for the cynical, disaffected character he's playing, but not quite.

In short: not breathtaking.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
It appears the game will be EXACTLY like Witcher 3. Generally poor main story with wacky side quests being it's high point. Negligible RPG elements with simple "Need X STR to break open this door" and generic perks giving percentage bonuses to dmg/bleed chance/reload speed. Melee combat seems to resemble Gothic 3 with attacks stunlocking enemies (something firearms do not do) and gunfigts "feel like Mass Effect". Enemies appear to be exceptionally stupid as well. Also:

Cyberpunk 2077 is phenomenally buggy.
The sex scenes are all POV-style to fit with the game's first-person perspective, and they are awkward. One was so awful that I actually rolled back my save and told the guy I'd rather be friends instead.
There's a great deal of lore surrounding Night City but most of it is communicated unimaginatively through text files you pickup as loot. The history that precedes 2077 is fascinating, but you'll have to go out of your way, and have a high tolerance for reading long in-game text files, to learn about it.
It often feels like Reeves is sleepwalking through his lines, especially compared to the deeply felt character performances surrounding him. That almost works for the cynical, disaffected character he's playing, but not quite.

In short: not breathtaking.
0algt2biozu41.png

Dont believe his lies.

Melcar

Arcane
The game being buggy on release should be of no surprise and just a given. What AAA game is not a buggy mess on release? I don't know why people are complaining about that. It's current year. 500GBs of patches in a few months from now will surely iron things out.

Curratum

Good thing they delayed it 9 months, because a delayed game is eventually... oh wait, they delayed it to downngrade the living fuck out of it to make it run on PS4 non-pro, not to release it in a marketable state.

Antigoon

Augur
Complete nonsense.
In context he isn't wrong. Whoever wrote that has likely no idea what immersive sim means or has even played DX enough to come to the conclusion its no open world DX, but its rather just using that as a fancy buzzword thinking it makes him look knowledgeable.

CWagner

Augur
> It takes liberally from its direct predecessor, The Witcher 3. It shares […] a dedication to hardcore RPG mechanics in a mainstream-oriented game

Witcher 3 has hardcore RPG mechanics?

Ghoulem

Erudite
I need an aggregate score from non-trans reviewers so I can make up my mind on whether to buy this game in five years time or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom