Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Cyclopean announced

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Elwro, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Tags: Cyclopean; Iron Tower

I always wanted to play a cRPG set in the Lovecraftian mythos. It turns out I might have the chance to do so - Iron Tower Studios have announced forming a second development team ("Team Omega") and beginning the design phase of their new game, titled "Cyclopean". To quote Scott, the lead designer (who also worked on the <a href="http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hamms/portfolio/3dmodels/gameenv.html">Keep on the Borderlands</a> ToEE mod):<blockquote>The player starts out in Lovecraft&#8217;s most famous fictional town, Arkham. Over the course of the game the player will travel to several other locations in and under the State of Massachusetts, and come in contact with cultists, law enforcement, hapless citizens, shadowy organizations, criminals, otherworldly creatures, and if he&#8217;s lucky, horrors beyond imagining. The game will concentrate on dense, quality writing in Lovecraft&#8217;s style, thrilling dialogue, and stimulating turn-based combat versus people and other things. Emphasis will be placed on quests with many possible solutions and outcomes. Players will not be restricted to fighting evil, but may ally themselves with those who wish to bring back the Great Old Ones, as well as various other organizations. Details to follow. The player will be able to pick up autonomous NPC support, a la Fallout, during the game. Influence over ally&#8217;s basic AI will be available, but equipment changes will be limited.
    <br>
    <br>
    A concern already raised is that Lovecraft&#8217;s canon does not suit itself to a computer game. I think the locations, creatures and atmosphere established by Lovecraft are entirely adaptable, not just as a colourful background to the same tired old RPG themes, but as an entire game experience. Any established body of work translated to a computer game, or any other form of media, will have to be bent somewhat to accommodate its new form. It is my belief that a more faithful translation of Lovecraft&#8217;s world can be implemented as a fun and worthwhile CRPG.
    <br>
    <br>
    Finally, here are a few things which will not be in Cyclopean: immortal and chatty NPC&#8217;s with abandonment issues, elves, giant rats, sewers, black and red hellscapes, and Monty Python references.</blockquote>Sounds perfect. Also, we learn from the <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=485.0">FAQ</a> that the game will be isometric and turn-based. Hell, judging from the examples of writing the game would probably be fantastic as a text-only IF title. Just check out <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=482.0">these</a> <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=483.0">two</a> (the previous words are two different links) suberb writing samples. To conclude this newspost, let me just quote a line from the second one, which I'd wager at least semi-accurately describes the lead designer of the game:<blockquote>I <i>was</i> a Professor of Mathematics. But soon, I will be so much more.</blockquote>Best luck to the project!
    <br>
    <br>
    Thanks, <b>Lumpy</b>!

^ Top  
  2. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    What good fortune. :)

Sounds like it might be pretty cool, as long as it stays true to Lovecraft's own version of the Mythos. None of that dumb Good vs. Evil war and mighty god stuff made up by other authors like that fucker Derleth who've fooled around with the mythos.

And no cases of punching out Cthulhu. :D

^ Top  
  3. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    In before bought by EA and switched to epic RT combat .

Seriously, sounds good, looks like Irontower is growing up just nicely.

^ Top  
  4. shihonage Subscribe to my OnlyFans Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    I hope they use the AoD engine, which seems to be mostly done. That would actually make this game a reality.

^ Top  
  5. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

^ Top  
  6. shihonage Subscribe to my OnlyFans Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Yeah I saw that earlier. It doesn't change what I said/think.

^ Top  
  7. Nick Iron Tower Studio Developer

Nick
    Most likely, if AoD engine satisfies Cyclopean needs, we will gladly share it with Team Omega. That's much more than just TGE. That's years of coding for isomeric, 3D, turn-based RPG. Think of the effect on their development process.

^ Top  
  8. shihonage Subscribe to my OnlyFans Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Oh I have quite a good idea about the developmental difference :) Hence I would much rather see them use the (enhanced ?) AoD engine.

The development would go a hell of a lot faster, mostly because of all the HUMONGOUS RPG framework that is there, and also because they could start by reusing AoD graphics as temporary measure.

^ Top  
  9. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    The AoD engine would be a very interesting engine to mod. Don't neglect this possibility.

^ Top  
  10. Jaime Lannister Arbiter

Jaime Lannister
    No screenshots = vaporware until proven otherwise. Hell, AoD looks finished from screenshots, and I'd guess it's at least a year away from release from VD's statements.

^ Top  
  11. Dire Roach Prophet

Dire Roach
    Isometric turn-based horror cRPG? Iron Tower is biting off more than they can chew LAWL!

But seriously, are traditional RPG elements like stats and turn-based combat really appropriate for the Mythos or any serious horror game? How will the IMRRSHN be handled? If it's meant to be conveyed primarily through text, it might as well be planned as an adventure game instead.

^ Top  
  12. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    I've no problem with it being turn-based and isometric. I don't think it would take away from the atmosphere and immershun a Lovecraft Mythos game would have. Fallout was isometric and turn-based but it got pretty damned atmospheric and a little creepy around the time you start investigating the Master's army, especially when you enter the lower levels of the cathedral.

That said, I personally would prefer a first-person perspective and gameplay similar to something like Bloodlines or Deus Ex though I've no problem with what they've chosen to go with.

^ Top  
  13. Longshanks Augur

Longshanks
    Could mean a move away from the superficial and repetitive scares of so many "horror" FPP games.

^ Top  
  14. FrancoTAU Cipher

FrancoTAU
    I don't mind a couple cheap scares ala Resident Evil. The more important thing will be the atmosphere set up by the narrative and music/sound.

Anyways, great unexpected news. TB RPG trying something new? They have my 20 bucks.

^ Top  
  15. Psycroptic Liturgist

Psycroptic
    I don't believe a Lovecraftian RPG has ever been done. It's always been adventure or IF. There would always be instances where the hero would punch or wound an enemy to escape, but somehow I don't see anyone doing so much combat that they would level up. It seems like this might be called an RPG but if it was faithful to the Mythos it actually would wind up being an adventure game with stats.

Not that that's a bad thing.

^ Top  
  16. bozia2012 Arcane Patron

bozia2012
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    I fapped.

Would you kindly release the first game before you definitely delve into the realm of vapourware?

^ Top  
  17. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    So adventure game with stats != an RPG but combat simulator with stats = RPG? What about AoD's non-combat paths then?
    RPG = game where you play role. If the game allows you to develop your character in various ways, it's an RPG.

Or we could simply say that the project is in pre-production with a possibility of getting cancelled and leave it at that.

^ Top  
  18. Jaime Lannister Arbiter

Jaime Lannister
    They're being too ambitious. Why not put the whole team that wants to do Cyclopean on AoD and then have the whole team do Cyclopean.

Two projects at once is for major studios, and Jeff Vogel.

^ Top  
  19. Korgan Arbiter

Korgan
    Do want. Sounds incredible, and hasn't really been done before.

^ Top  
  20. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    If they needed more people for AoD they would've put up a job offering. Currently, the CP team has a lead designer and a graphic artist, neither of which AoD needs at this point.

Why? It's not like Iron Tower got split - they're hiring a whole new team for this project. If they've got the money, why not? It's going to attract talented people easier than a whole new company would, and it will probably help boost the sales of both games if they both get released.

^ Top  
  21. FrancoTAU Cipher

FrancoTAU
    AoD isn't exactly a production values intensive project. I'm sure multiple programmers and artists would just slow down the project due to the learning curve.

Or even more likely, Vince probably doesn't own this other project outright. He seems more like the publisher than developer.

^ Top  
  22. Longshanks Augur

Longshanks
    The AoD team will not be working on Cyclopean, and the "whole team" that wants to do Cyclopean are currently a lead designer and a graphic artist, it's only in pre-production:

^ Top  
  23. muds_animal_friend Arcane Patron

muds_animal_friend
    Please don't. Lovecraft's prose is the literary equivalent of a deep fried Mars bar.

^ Top  
  24. Seboss Scholar

Seboss
    Holy crap! I'm so sold.
    Despite the debatable Lovecraft's writing quality, I think it's a must have at least for descriptions and background text (quest log, diaries etc)...

^ Top  
  25. The Vanished One Prophet

The Vanished One
    Although I've never read Lovecraft, the project sounds really interesting. Wish you best luck, team Omega!

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.