Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Cyclopean announced

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
dagorkan said:
This better not be a joke...
Not a joke.

...that cuts away one of the major obstacles to independent/fan projects leaving them to focus on the story and C&C.
Which is why we are doing it. Our experience and technology, no matter how dated, can help a lot of talented indie developers. We are making it easier for them.

VD are you following an existing PnP ruleset or making up the mechanics from scratch?
For the record, it's not me. It's Scott & Co, so all questions should be directed at him. As far as I know, everything is designed from scratch, which is the best way. If you want to influence this process, drop by and talk to Scott.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
dagorkan said:
"Diminishes his work"? Are you really this stupid?

The entire way Lovecraft writes is based on appealing to archetypes, built on irrational fears and prejudices. The reasons we react to the portrayal of the Old Ones and their servants, the haunting, alien landscapes and the eery descriptions of bizarre geometries have the same causes as the common prejudices 97.5% of human beings have about strangers, about the Other. The entire theme of Lovecraft's work is the external world, full of unknowns (filtered through untrustworthy sense-perception) versus the inner world of instincts and emotions in constant struggle reason. By the end of most of the stories the characters can't even trust their sense of reason and those who survive do so because they reverted to instinct.

If you truly are the PC idiot you just painted yourself as you should not pretend that you like Lovecraft which would be clearly contradictory. Somebody with no prejudices at all cannot by nature appreciate literature, someone like that can never be more than semi-human.

Someone who does not have prejudices is better off dead because their soul is already dead. In any case having prejudices and failing to control them are two different things.

How you can judge Lovecraft or anyone who has racist or sexist thoughts as 'bad people' is beyond me. As far as I am aware he was a private person and mainly stayed at home and wrote, he never lynched anyone or persecuted any individual, and his first wife was Jewish which proves he was able to distinguish between reality and fantasy (unlike many people on the internet).
Ummmmm... I said "I don't believe it diminishes his work." Character flaws of individuals aren't something you even consider when looking at something like the art they made. So, basically, your post was misdirected. I enjoy the stories of Lovecraft to the fullest just like the next fan.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Yeah I know you didn't say precisely that but I'd already started writing it it so it'll stay for anyone who was thinking of saying that.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
dagorkan said:
[...] and his first wife was Jewish which proves he was able to distinguish between reality and fantasy (unlike many people on the internet).

They divorced though it was an amicable one. During their marriage he kept making anti-semitic remarks around her and she had to ask him to stop. But it's true he wasn't a violent man and he somehow softened his views later in life. He was mostly obsessed with the English being the pinacle of civilisation and culture and the rest of humanity lying under it.

Anyway whoever the artist is does not diminish the quality of his work, as it was said before. My favourite exemple is Truman Capote who was a repugnant person, manipulating everyone around him, friends and acquaintances, to achieve personal success. Yet In Cold Blood is one of the best books ever written, reading it does not mean you feel sympathetic to its author or his line of thought.

Fenril

Scholar
Best of luck to Iron Tower on the new project.

I am kind of anxious of getting my hands on AoD, the only downside I see is that all the C&C and branching aside a playthrough will be kind of short by old school rpg terms. I really hope they dont fuck it up. Indie rpg development efforts need more sucess stories.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
<a href="http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=175">It's here</a>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom