Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA Circlejerk Round-Robin - Currently Showing: The Adventures of Baron Von Schwarznatter

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Tower/rewind will mesh well. Also, I hate to say this but I've been burned out about your CYOA since it turned to anime (not that I absolutely hate it).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:lol: Well, it's not for everyone. I did give a disclaimer before we took the plunge.

Cassidy

Arcane
6. Succession: Like in those "continue the story" forum games, each update is written by a different author following the previous one and based on the choices voted in it.

Let's do it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought the multiplayer idea was the coolest, but you need some dedicated people to really make it work.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
6. Succession: Like in those "continue the story" forum games, each update is written by a different author following the previous one and based on the choices voted in it.

Let's do it.

Agreed, CYOA round-robin should be pretty interesting and much easier to get going than any of the other ideas. Might devolve into insane parody by the third update depending on who the participants are, but that's a good thing.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just draw up a list of participants in order, set a deadline, bump people up and down as necessary? I would probably prefer spontaneous writing for a round-robin, though, as well as a word limit to keep things moving swiftly and smoothly. Just bang out whatever comes to mind, though there still needs to be some consistency.

Can also be combined with the -quest format you and The Brazilian Slaughter mentioned.

It probably works best in a setting everyone is more or less familiar with, like fantasy with horses and knights and dragons, so we don't need to do too much world-building.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'd be interested, yet I can't promise decent quality writing, only a horrible mockery pretentiously feigning as a good quality update.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah. That's turned out well the times we've tried it so far after all. :roll:

Though, with treave as the GM, things might turn out better. :troll:

Cassidy

Arcane
Or maybe Warhammer Fantasy, considering treave already has experience when it comes to depicting the taming of bears.

map-the-old-world.jpg

PS: In the Warhammer Fantasy setting, Djinns exist.

Obviously it needs to set as a Border Prince attempting to behead unite his squabbling neighbors in order to undergo the great Ork removal.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, I don't know, I figured that if we're going to have a succession LP it should be a more accessible setting without subsequent authors having to read up on pages of discourse on Skaven society.

I'm not too familiar with WH Fantasy myself, what little I know coming from Blood Bowl.

Though if I were to do this, I would probably start with...

THE ADVENTURES OF BARON VON SCHWARZNATTER

You are a young baron of the Empire.

Well, you were.

Due to circumstances best left untold - it involved a cross-dressing orc, and enough of that! - you find yourself on a horse, with nothing in your possession but the clothes on your back and the silver candlesticks and cutlery you managed to quietly pocket from your family manor before you were unceremoniously evicted by the brutish servants of that vile rat - metaphorically, of course, though you have your suspicions of his true parentage - the Grand Duke Leopold. You can't believe that you fell for such a nasty, silly plot, though in hindsight the stench of betrayal was obvious.

"The stink is everywhere," you mutter under your breath.

"I'm sorry, sire."

Your trusty manservant, Baldric, had been the only one faithful enough to stick with you after you were reduced to a penniless vagabond. You sniff the air and blanch.

"No, I did not mean you, but yegads, have you not taken some clean clothes when we left?"

"Bit of a hassle, sire," grunts Baldric, scratching his arse and adjusting his flat-hat. His clothes - if they were fit to be called that - are nothing more than rough, dirty, shapeless sacks. Filthy, even.

You frown. He has never been much for hygiene, this servant of yours. "Well, the day grows longer, and you need to find me a place to sleep, Baldric. Run along down the road and get me an inn. I still have coin to pay for my stay." There won't be much left after this, however, but you do have a plan to clamber back up the treacherous ladder of high society. Perhaps it might not be a particularly cunning one, but you are not without resources. Ah, the Grand Duke will rue the day he stole your plush armchair!

"Which road, sire?"

"What do you mean, which road?"

"Well, there are three. Sire." he replies, patiently.

You look down the road. Indeed, there are three roads. They are even marked with helpful signs.

A. You have him go down the road less taken, leading deep into the woods. If you find any place to stay there it will be cheap - you've heard travellers tell tales of witches and gingerbread cottages they rent out to weary travellers - and the gods know you need to save and scrimp every single penny right now.

B. You have him go towards the road marked "Ham's Hamlet". It's a hamlet. Of course it would have a tavern of some sorts. Obviously. That's your best and safest bet. Clearly.

C. You have him head for the Dwarven fort of Stonehamster. You are not keen to visit the dwarves - not after what happened the last time you hosted a visiting dignitary of the short folk - but surely they have forgave and forgotten, and would willingly reach upwards to grasp your eager (and desperate) hand of friendship?

Someone else can take it from here. :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We can, perhaps except for whoever's supposed to write next? Though I don't see how that would matter too much if everyone's sporting and willing to give it an honest go.

For the record, my vote will be with C.

Well, if the setting I put forth up there is not appealing enough, anyone is free to step up and start something that'd be more attractive for the round-robin format. That's why I started this thread, as a circlejerk where everyone joins in.

I'd be interested, yet I can't promise decent quality writing, only a horrible mockery pretentiously feigning as a good quality update.

Eh, don't worry about that. It'd actually be easier to get started here, instead of trying to write a whole chunk of text on your own.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In keeping with the theme of succession, the writer of the post should choose who writes the follow up.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I would personally prefer volunteers or a shortlist, but eh, any other opinions about this? We can spend the next week or so getting people and slotting them in order, I figure.

Failing that, I don't mind picking a successor myself... via dice roll.

Tigranes

Arcane
The formula is delightful, though I must be part of the selfish leecher majority. I promise to vote with impunity.

B for me.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Smashing Axe is busy, and besides him I think only you and Cassidy have expressed any interest in writing something? Eh, you seem to have more free time to spend on the boards so if it's going to come to a coin toss, you might as well do it.

root , I summon thee.

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom