Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA: Honeyman's quest

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
C
can't tag too many people in a post by the way.

Repressed Homosexual
You drive to the edge of Duluth, at which point you see what appears to be a strip pall.

You drive up to the largely empty parking lot and park. You look back to what happens.

The car is quite bit away now. The driver seems to have stopped close to the side walk and appears to be observing you. There is at least one other person in the car, but you're too far away to see them clearly.

At this point, they seem to realize that you've caught up to them. They appear to want to avoid a confrontation and they quickly drive away.

You weren't able to confront them, but at least you got them to leave you alone.

Abbas: Weird. Who the f*** are these guys? You think they are part of the gang who killed my brother?
Bruno: Maybe well. It's hard to say for sure. Maybe they followed us as we drove away from your brother's house. Or maybe they're undercover cops. I really can't tell.
Abbas: Anyway, now we can try to find a weapon store.

Looking up on your phone, you find "Milton's Sports, 100% independent arms dealer since 1989", which appears to be a few minutes' drive away. Well, off you go!

Milton's Sports itself appears to be just in a tiny building. You've never been in a place like this before and are not quite sure what to expect. Even seeing people having guns is surreal to you.

You and Abbas get off the car and enter. The store is empty, except for the owner at the cashier.

When he notices he has customers, he immediately puts his best foot forward.

"Welcome to Milton's Sports, gentlemen! How may I help you?"

It is about as you expected it. You see displays, guns, ammunition boxes, armors everywhere.

Bruno: Funny sir, I don't seem to see any sporting goods here except for guns and ammunition.
Milton: Well I abandoned it, the margins were getting too bad. It was too much of a hassle to change the name and banners though.
Bruno: Actually good sir... we would require your help for, for something else. Can you have a look at this and tell us what this is?

You show him the Ziploc bag with the cartridge.

Milton frowns, picks it up, and stares at it for 30 seconds. It doesn't take long for him to come up with the answer.

Milton: That's easy, it's a .44 Magnum. Has fallen out of favor a little, but still a very popular cartridge. It's been around for a really long time.
Abbas: And now the crux of our coming here... are there some... "entities" around here who tend to use it?

Milton, who appears to be jolly by nature, isn't smiling anymore. He seems to know. But also, he seems reluctant to tell you.

Abbas: Sir... my brother... he's Mohammed Hariri. I dunno if you've read about it in the papers. He was killed. And we found this in his house, the police appears to have overlooked it. They are stonewalling me, and they don't seem to care. I must get to the bottom of this.

Milton appears more motivated to be talkative.

Milton: The Italian mob has some presence here. I heard, although I didn't sell them guns myself, that they tend to use Desert Eagles in their... in their "line of work". And that gun uses just these types of cartridges.

You and Abbas look at each other. Did the mob try to eliminate an asset from the Wolverines to have the city all to themselves?

Abbas: Those motherf******! They'll pay!
Milton: Hey, easy son. You're not going to solve anything by going berzerk, the only thing that will happen is that you'll get yourself killed. I know it must be hard for you. But you have to act smarter than that.
Bruno: He's right, Abbas. If these guys did this, they might not be ones to be trifled with. This is no joking matter.
Abbas: My brother's death is no joking matter either!

Milton starts smiling.

Milton: Well, anyhow, it looks like you guys tend to get yourself in troublesome situations. So while you're here... are you sure you don't need some protection?
Abbas: Thank you, I already have some myself. Plus there's a delay before you can get it, don't you think?
Milton: Well then, how about bulletproof vests? I have this new super lightweight model. Plus it's on sale!
Bruno: Well, I'm from Canada. I came here to help my friend here. I wouldn't think I'm eligible to buy these things anyway.
Milton: Actually as far as I know you can. Weapons know, but for bulletproof vests, the only restriction is that you're not a felon, but it's an honor system anyway, and that you don't take it out of the United States. So, what say you?

Milton knows how to show himself to be convincing. He ends up giving you two another discount and this seals the deal. You spend some time so you can both find vests that suit you. Then you pay.

Milton wishes you good luck and for God to bless you.

Now, you have a difficult decision to make.

A) Try to confront the mob.
B) We have to be more careful. Try to find another way to know who Mohammed's killers were.

baud ERYFKRAD

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Abbas seems intent to go straight to the source. He seems tired of wondering and looking around. You agree, but think it might be dangerous.

Bruno: Abbas, at least control yourself. Who knows, they might even be able to help us. At any rate, I doubt they just start shooting at us in broad daylight.
Abbas: You heard that gunshop owner. The bullet is what they typically use. That seems pretty damning to me. They better have a good explanation.

You easily find where you might be able to find them by asking around. The local head of the Italian mob, of which there is precious little in a place like Duluth, apparently has a coffee shop downtown.

You and Abbas conceal your bulletproof vests under your shirts, and head to the coffee shop.

After entering, you find a young barista, a customer at the back of the coffee shop reading a newspaper, and a partly bald man with grey hair. The bald man starts studying you both.

Bald man: Are you sure you guys chose the right place to get your coffee?
Abbas: We have business with you.
Bald man: Well, pleased to make your acquaintance. My name is Paolo. I presume you have some business with me?
Bruno: Yes... business of a most sensitive nature.
Paolo: Oh, of that nature... well then, I have a reception room at the back just for that. If you'll please follow me there. And Andrew, bring us three coffees.

You follow Paolo in the tiny reception room at the back, which can host 8 people at most. You presume he uses the place for his reunions where sensitive topics are discussed with his accomplices.

After you've started drinking the delicious espresso coffee, you go to the point.

Bruno: I'm from the Wolverines. They've sent me to investigate because their accountant Mohammed has died. He was overseeing a lot of their business in this city and in some of the rest of Michigan as well, I believe. Along the way, I met Mohammed's brother Abbas that sits here alongside me, who is also looking for answers but isn't getting any from the police. While we were at his brother's house... we were surprised to find this:

(You show him the ziplock bag with the .44 Magnum cartridge. Paolo picks it up, but instantly recognizes it. He looks genuinely surprised.)

Paolo: I see. I guess I can see how it looks, and not very good. True, I'm an old-school guy, and with my crew, we tend to like to use older guns that use this cartridge. However I can tell you, the hit on Mohammed, that wasn't us. I have no interest in starting some turf war with the Wolverines. They operate on the West of town, and we operate on downtown and the East. It's been this way for a while and I have no interest in any confrontation. We don't have the manpower to win it anyway. From what I know, the few Wolverines in this town went away for a little while to wait until things would settle down. I have no intention to encroach on their territory in the meanwhile.
Abbas: We had a grey Chrysler car following us... was it some of your men?
Paolo: Yes, they told me they started following two guys who went out to Mohammed's room. We started wondering what had been going on as well. They saw you leaving and wondered who you were, if you were going to leave them to anywhere interesting. But when they noticed that you caught on, they left.

So... it seems you can help us too. I am in fact surprised that the police never noticed the Magnum cartridge. They're being incompetent buffoons, as always. It's good for now, because they're not onto us. But I guess it could change.

Well... if you'll let me, let me call these men. They'll come here, and we'll see if they uncovered anything else.

Paolo offers you two other espresso coffees, and makes a phone call. After 15 minutes, two Italian-looking guys enter the coffee shop. He whispers in their ears.

One of them enters the reception room and starts talking to you:

Mobster: Sorry for having followed you. Anyway, I did discover something that was interesting. One of our whores was taking an outcall, and she said his customer told her something interesting. He had come back from a party and had drunk too much. He was so tired that he started slumping in his car and fell half-asleep. While he was in this state, it was about 2AM and he heard two men getting close to him. They didn't notice him, but they talked about the "hit on Mohammad" and the "guys in the Disciple's Mosque". He was dizzy so he didn't pay attention to it until he woke up in the morning. But he didn't felt like explaining himself to the police, because he would have had to admit to such embarrassing circumstances.

Abbas: Oh wow. the Disciple's? I sure know where that is. I have to thank you, actually.

Paolo, thank you. I presumed wrong about you.

Paolo: We will not bother you anymore. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of this. We're hoping for it too.

You both leave the coffee shop. You head back into your car.

Abbas: The Disciple's Mosque is the biggest mosque in Dearborn, Michigan. I know about it because I went there a couple of times. My brother used to live in Dearborn before he moved here to serve local customers. It seems the only way we're going to find out more is going there. It's a long drive, though. Around 13 hours or so.
Bruno: Well, are you up for it?
Abbas: To avenge my brother? I'm up for anything. If you'll agree, then let's both go.

You of course are willing. By now. Abbas' car is repaired. You leave your rental car at the local outlet, embark in Mohammad's Honda Civic, and the both of you start driving towards Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit.

Repressed Homosexual
The drive is very long, and gives you a good view of the northern states. Mostly you see suburbia, strip malls, highways, industrial areas that clearly knew better days, fast food restaurants, and other examples of today's America. You first pass through Minneapolis, and then a few hours after through Milwaukee. When you get close to the Chicago suburbs, it is getting very late, so the both of you agree to have a bite to eat, and to rent a room in a hotel located close to Chicago.

During the drive, you regal Abbas with more tale of your adventures, to which he is captivated and constantly presses you for more details. He is also a good raconteur, he talks to you about the various cases he took on as a lawyer.

You cannot resist your desire to look him up, and find many news articles featuring him. He is very active in the corporate world and has won many cases. He is known for his agressive style, and is nicknamed "The Pitbull".

And surprisingly to you, he speaks very good French.

Bruno: Oh tu parles français? How come?
Abbas: Haha, well in Lebanon it's fairly common, it used to be a French colony after all. We learn it in school. Although those who speak it very well are largely some people working in government or business, or tourism, or the privileged few who are highly educated.

During these hours where you explore America, you joke and bond a lot with Abbas. It is no exaggeration to say that the two of you are becoming very good friends. And you do need as many allies as you can get, after all.

Lastly, you find a hotel located close to a diner open 24 hours. The both of you are exhausted and eager to get a bite to eat.

While you eat, you find that someone tried to call you: it's Mylene. You haven't contacted your wife in quite a while.

Bruno: I need to call my wife, I haven't given her news for way too long.
Abbas: Do you have a picture?.... oh wow, she looks like an angel.

Bruno: Hello Mylene, you tried to call?
Mylene: Bruno, I've been worrying sick about you! I tried not to, but I can't help it. Max told me most of what happened. I saw the news about the exploited workers in Thunder Bay. How terrible! Hopefully their fate will improve now. And now Max told me you've been hearing to America?
Bruno: Yes, we're going to the Detroit area now. I can't give you too many details, but I'll be careful. In the meantime, you can meet my new friend Abbas.
Abbas: Enchanté, Mylene! Comment allez-vous?
Mylene: Très bien et vous?

(The both of them talk a little. Then you have some chit chat with Mylene. She tells you that her studies are ongoing in Ottawa and she has been doing well. She's met Patricia Campbell a few times and started hanging out with her. Then the two of you say goodbye).

Abbas: You have a real gem here, Bruno. Fortunately, you recognize her for what she is. Me... right now, all I have to fight for is my brother. I need to make sure that those who are responsible for what happened to him will pay.
Bruno: What can you tell me about Dearborn, by the way?
Abbas: In the US, it is the only city that is majority-Muslim. It harkens back to the days of Henry Ford, actually. Mr. Ford wanted a lot of cheap labors, which he obtained from the Middle East, and it all grew from there, essentially. There are many mosques there.
Bruno: So you've been to the Disciple's Mosque?
Abbas: It is meant to be an inclusive mosque welcoming people from all backgrounds. Security is pretty tight though. Their main imam is called Ibrahim, he is a famous figure in the area.
Bruno: Anyway, we'll see.

The both of you pay, and head to your room.

Then the next day, your drive starts anew. You leave early in the morning.

After roughly five hours, finally you are in Dearborn, Michigan.

Repressed Homosexual
In Dearborn, you can indeed see many Middle-Eastern people. It is quite striking to see in America, for it is fairly unusual. Other than that, Dearborn looks like most middle-sized American towns, and fairly clean and quiet. Except when you go to a local grocery stores, alcohol and pork products are nowhere to be found.

After leaving the grocery store to head to the Disciple's Mosque, while Abbas is driving, a motorcycle driver to the back of you on your left starts accelerating. He starts accelerating repeatedly, remaining just in front of you. This aggravates Abbas, who drives faster, which in turn leads the driver to start accelerating again.

In the end, Abbas because very upset. He drives well over the speed limit.

Abbas: Not this s*** again. I'm going to give this motherf***** a good lesson.

He drives close to him, he takes his gun in his left hand, and the wheel with his right hand. He then rolls down his car window.

Abbas: HEY!

The motorcycle driver looks at him. Abbas then gives him the finger.

Abbas: F*** YOU!

He then goes further over the speed limit, well past the stunned driver who is left behind.

Abbas: F***, I hope no cop saw this.

You are shocked. What just happened? What did he just do?

Bruno: Dude you're nuts! What took you?
Abbas: You have to understand... yes I was a little nuts. But here, there are a lot of immigrants from the Middle East who come from very violent backgrounds. They left countries that are always in a semi state of war or unrest, and they live like they're still at war. That guy was tries to assert his dominance over us. I had to put him in his place. If you start giving these guys even an inch, they'll always walk all over you.

You didn't see it this way... still, that was an extremely reckless move, one you're sure glad you don't have to explain to the police. You guess that Abbas is a man who doesn't shy away from a confrontation if need be. Probably that's what makes him effective as a lawyer.

Finally, you get close to the Disciple's Mosque.

Repressed Homosexual
The Disciple's Mosque is the biggest one in Dearborn and can welcome more than a few thousand congregants at the same time. It welcomes devout Muslims as well as newcomers who are aimless and interested in the Islamic faith. It also prides itself on its desire to maintain good relationships with Christian groups and also other religions, which is unusual for most mosques who come off as more fundamentalist.

Abbas leaves his gun in his car. He instructs you to leave anything that could be constructed as a weapon in your car, as security will notice it.

The construction is very impressive. You walk in the parking lot, and most of the people walking in appear to be Middle Easterners. People greet you when they recognize that you are not one. So far your first impression of the community is positive.

Both you and Abbas must go through a metal detector before you are granted entry.

After that, you see a large room that can seat many people. A few people are kneeling and praying quietly. You take off your shoes and leave them at the entrance. Two people who appear to be elders are located close to the entrance, and warmly welcome you in.

Elder: Greetings, brother, welcome to the Disciple's Mosque. You have come to the right place. Allah bless you. Oh, and Abbas! I haven't seen you in a long time!
Abbas: Yes, although... I have some very bad news. (He tells him about Mohammad's passing).
Elder: Oh no! How tragic! Although I am sure Mohammad was a devout Muslim, he must be in paradise by now. Ibrahim will surely want to talk to you and your new friend. He makes a point of personally welcoming many newcomers. Would you kindly wait here? I'll go in his office.

The both of you wait. While you do, many other Muslims trickle in, and greet you, leaving you with a good impression.

The elder comes back.

Elder: Ibrahim wants to see you now to offer his condolences, and see if he can offer any help.

Abbas thanks the Elder, who directs you towards his office.

You knock, and hear a voice telling you to come in.

You enter, and see a man in his early fifties with a long black beard looking like an old sage. Obviously, you are now facing imam Ibrahim.

Repressed Homosexual
Ibrahim greets you and congratulates you for visiting the mosque, and then offers his condolences to Abbas. You are very surprised, you expected a harsh man. But Ibrahim speaks so kindly, looking at you with eyes full of compassion. He truly comes off as a gentle soul.

Ibrahim: So the men who killed Mohammed would be in this very mosque? That's a very serious situation indeed.

He starts looking very uncomfortable.

Ibrahim: I... I do know of a man involved in some criminal activities who frequents the Disciple's Mosque and who would fit this profile. I have been trying to compel him to surrender to the authorities and confess to his crimes, but he is in denial and not willing to yet. I've been meeting with him privately and working on it. I am confident I will eventually prevail. I would ask you to please give me a little more time, I think he needs just a little more push and convincing. Once I do, I will contact you.

Abbas: Thank you, Ibrahim. Here's my number if you need to contact me.

Ibrahim: I've been told that you apparently slipped away from the faith. Although, I understand you've been through some very hard times lately. I understand your discouragement. But do know that Allah is always watching over you, and to those who did this horrible crime, he will not let their actions go unpunished. I will pray for you.

You both thank him and leave his office.

You walk back towards the entrance.

Abbas: Dammit. I want to choke this f***** with my bare hands. We're so close! And yet we can't do anything! I understand he's working on him... but I want to act now!

As you arrive towards the entrance, the elder who greeted you in asks how things happened. He takes the two of you apart from everyone else, looking gravely concerned. You tell him of what you discussed with Ibrahim.

Elder: I see. And I suppose that you would like to meet this man now, and that you find this secrecy cumbersome. Hmmm... give me a few minutes...

He leaves. Then after a few minutes, he comes back.

Elder: Here's something, but you didn't get it from me. Allah may enlighten your path, brother. And you as well, brother Bruno.

The both of you leave the mosque. On the parking lot, you look at the paper, and find an address.

Bruno: He went it and found the criminal member's address and gave it to us!
Abbas: Nice, it's payback time! Let's see where it is located. What? 7 Mile Road? Ouch!
Bruno: What's wrong?
Abbas: It seems to be in an apartment on 7 Mile Road in Detroit. That area is very dangerous, it is bustling with trigger happy gang members. We'll have to be very discreet. Probably we'll go in at night. Are you up for it?
Bruno: Sure, but don't be too reckless. I would like to go back to Mylene in one piece.

You rent a hotel room in Dearborn. You eat with Abbas at another diner. You sleep a little. And when 1AM has come, it's time to go in the heart of darkness. In the harsh territory of 7 Mile Road.

Repressed Homosexual
You put your bullet-proof vest on, and Abbas puts his on. He gives you a gun, even though you are not legally allowed to shoot it. Where you're going, things are so dangerous that you don't care about it.

Abbas: Before we leave, I want to show you something.

Abbas heads on a road that separates Dearborn from Detroit.

It is absolutely astounding! On the Dearborn side, it's clean, the houses are well-maintained.

On the Detroit sides, most houses look derelict, and the area looks sinister and unkempt.

Bruno: Wow that's hilarious!

Abbas starts driving towards 7 Mile Road. Every time he has to stop at a traffic light, he looks around nervously, sometimes brandishing his gun. Not very reassuring, for sure.

Most of the part of Detroit you are going in is in a state of disrepair and decay. This city has never recovered since the auto industry fell apart decades ago. The only places that seem to be thriving are fast-food restaurants, thrift stores, dollar stores, churches, and liquor stores.

Things only get more and more unkempt as you get close to 7 Mile Road.

Bruno: So you think we actually run the risk of getting attacked or shot at?
Abbas: It's possible, yes. So keep your head down.

Yikes.

In the end, you park on 7 Mile Road, close to an unkempt apartment building. Tenants are living there, but these accomodations aren't exactly glamorous. There is nobody outside that you can see. The tense atmosphere of the city at night is seriously creepy and unnerving.

You head towards the apartment building. You parked in an hidden area, and have a few minutes of walking to do.

You then see a black man walking on the sidewalk who looks though, and stares at you both.

Black man: Hey hey hey, Muslim boy and white boy! Wha'chu doin' here?
Bruno: What are you doing here? Huh? HUH?

You try to act demented. He appears spooked, and start walking away fast from you.

Abbas: Good thinking. The only people they leave alone here are those who appear too crazy to be worth messing with.

Finally, you approach the apartment building. You hide, and wait for a few minutes. You see nobody. You only hear the bound of what appears to be a TV from the ground floor. But his apartment is on the first floor.

You discreetly enter with Mohammed.

Still nobody.

In the entrance hall, you hear the humming sound of the fluorescent lights. You head in.

The sound of the TV is to your right. You choose to head to your left. Then at the back, there are stairs leading up.

You head up to the first floor.

Then up to apartment 109, where your man apparently lives.

You are nervous, fearful that someone will jump on you at any time.

You are now in front of apartment 109. What will you do?

A)Knock.
B) Pick the lock.
C) Wait around for a while.

baud ERYFKRAD alcoholyte

Repressed Homosexual
You knock softly on the door. There is no answer.

You try again. No answer either. Not a sound is coming from inside.

Abbas: He's either asleep, or he's not there. Maybe we could find clues inside, or interrogate him. Do you think you can pick the lock?
Bruno: Yes I can, without issues.

You easily pick the lock after 30 seconds. You push the door open.

You see a shabby, messy apartment. All the furniture is worn. Bills and flyers are laying on the ground. Whoever lives here hasn't cared very much about keeping it tidy.

As soon as you both went a little past the door, someone turns on the lights. You hear a voice.

MAN: HANDS UP IN THE HAIR! ON YOUR KNEES, NOW, OR I SHOOT!

Unfortunately, the man was very well awake. He laid there in wait.

You comply with his orders. You turn around, and face a black man in his early thirties or so, with a bald head. He is pointing a gun at you, looks at both of you with hatred, and looks very nervous.

MAN: It's either you both or me. The choice is easy for me to make.
Abbas: Piss off. You killed my brother. I don't care, just shoot me right then and there. You'll rot in hell.
MAN: Alright this time you've really do...

As he is saying this, he hears the sound of a car screeching loudly outside, he turns his head towards the window of his room for a second.

A)Use this opportunity to grapple him!
B)Don't do anything reckless. Try to talk to him.

baud ERYFKRAD alcoholyte

Repressed Homosexual
You are tempted to jump him and grapple him to the ground, but decide to refrain.

He turns back to face you.

Bruno: Sir, I could've easily jumped you. I bested plenty of men tougher than you in combat. But I didn't. I want to show my good will. I also get the sense that you don't really want to kill you. In fact, something really isn't adding up here.

The man looks at you and seems more and more puzzled.

Bruno: Why were you expecting us? You were already ready.
Black man: My name is Jay Duncan, they call me "Easy Jay". I... I... well...

(You think you've figured it out now. If true, it truly was a diabolical plan.)

Bruno: Did anyone warn you that we were coming? Couldn't it have been... someone from the Disciple's Mosque?
Easy Jay: How do you know? How... oh... oh no, that motherf*cker! What a bastard!
Bruno: It is as I thought. I just guessed it. Ibrahim tricked us into going to your apartment. Then, either he or one of his men warned you to expect us, so you could ambush us. The goal being that you would get rid of us. That... or that we would get rid of you. Either way, he wins, as it means less cumbersome persons to deal with.

Abbas looks at him angrily.

Abbas: You... you... you killed my brother?
Easy Jay: I didn't, but I was part of it. Mohammed did something that really pissed Ibrahim off, or something that made him want to get rid of him. I didn't go inside the house, but I drove over to Dearborn with two other guys. I didn't know they were going to kill him, I thought they would just extort him. But afterwards, I figured he was dead. They tried to frame the mafia for the hit.
Abbas: How can I trust you?
Easy Jay: There's not much more I can do for now. Either way, I was part of it, and I'm sorry. If the roles were reversed, I would want to kill you for sure. I totally get you.
Bruno: How did you get involved in that gang? And what kind of gang is it anyway?
Easy Jay: Me and my sister Michelle, we were kind of lost. She was prostituting herself, and I was involved in petty crime. We lived in a poor area of Detroit without much of a family to raise us. Then one day, we heard about the mosque in Dearborn. We decided to attend, and they welcomed us in. They treated us like family, and got us to change their ways. Only at some point, Michelle disappeared, she was killed or I don't know, the police didn't care and I never found out what happened. At this time, the mosque and imam Ibrahim were very supportive of me, at the time I had lost the only family I had. That's when gradually... I learned Ibrahim controlled his own gang, and he got me involved with it.

By the way, the other two guys who took part in the hit, they are both dead now. They died in an "accident". But I'm starting to think it wasn't an accident. And the reason Ibrahim sent you here... it was so you would be involved and not them. To get heat off of them after they murdered the two accomplices. I'm the only one left.

At this point, someone knock at the door.

Woman: Hey Jay, I heard some screaming here. Is everything alright?
Easy Jay: Oh, yes, it was just some misunderstanding. We're cool now.
Woman: Ok, good to know. I'll go back to sleep now.
Easy Jay: Sorry for waking you up.

The three of you are discussing peacefully now. You all realize that you have been used. Ibrahim acted like a devil. Truly, what a manipulator. He came off as kind and saintly... but apparently that only is a disguise.

Easy Jay: Ibrahim justified the gang as part of the jihad against a corrupt America and the "people of the book". I got more and more ensnared into to. I won't act so innocent and say I was just a victim, though.
Bruno: So what can we do now?
Easy Jay: Whatever we do, we have to be very careful. Now that we've survived, the gang is going to want to kill us.
Bruno: I'm looking for an accounting book that Mohammed has. Would you have any idea about where it would be?
Easy Jay: If it's anywhere, it's most probably in Ibrahim's house. It's sort of a big mansion, past Dearborn. I don't know where that is, I've never been. However, there might be a way to know. If you'd go at the apartment of one of the two killers of Mohammad. Police probably never went it at all. It's somewhere in Detroit. (He tells you the address. Based on the location, it's in another dangerous, run-down area. Just great.)

Abbas: Ok, I guess we'll go. You don't seem all that bad. I'm a lawyer, I've interacted with enough assholes to know when I see one. And I just don't get that vibe from you.
Easy Jay: Be careful. I'm going to lay low for a while. Here's my phone number if you have any updates. I would go to the police at this point. I want out of this life, but my testimony is not enough. We would need more evidence. And be careful about Ibrahim's mansion... people seem scared about this place.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
You leave the apartment complex. Easy Jay will leave a little later, and take a different direction.

You go back down. You exit the building.

You walk back outside. But quickly, you find the same man you met earlier. This time, he is with an accomplice.

Black man: So Jay was no match for you? Good to know, but unfortunately, we can't let you go.

He brandishes a gun which he aims at you, and his accomplice is closer and draws a long knife.

Abbas wants to draw his gun but he was caught by surprise.

The man with the knife draws closer... too close at this point. He doesn't know what you're capable of.

While he is in front of you, you make a quick move. You grapple him, holding his knife with your right hand as he also keeps holding onto it, and holding him against your chest with your left arm. Then you turn him against him. You're essentially using him as a human shield.

You hit him with your right knee, and the man drops his hold on the knife, which you quickly grab, and press against his throat.

Bruno: Ok dude, you're going to BACK the F*** off!

You say this as you motion closer to him, and Abbas stay aligned behind you, rendering his gun useless.

Black man: Tsss... clever boy. Would have brought more guys with me had I known.

As you draw close enough and the man is still unable to act, you push your hostage against him, and they fall on the ground on top of each other. Then, you quickly hit them both repeatedly. They are so stunned that they cannot act. After 30 seconds, they stand inanimate. They cannot move anymore.

You take the gun out of his hand.

Black man:You... you... I'll get you for this! You're going to pay, mark my words!

Abbas kicks him as well while he passes in front of him, and he passes you.

Abbas: F*** you! Shut up already! F****** piece of shit!

The both of you walk towards the car. You enter.

Abbas: Bruno, those were some nice moves. You saved our lives. We were almost toast.
Bruno: Quite a surprise for Jay, isn't it?
Abbas: Yeah, Ibrahim is such a piece of s***. We got rolled by him big time!
Bruno: And now we need to go in another strange apartment, in the most dangerous city in America. Just great.

Repressed Homosexual
The new apartment is 10 minutes away. It is on the third floor.

The drive there in the middle of the worst neighborhood in America is not pleasant. This area looks like the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse. Everything looks dead or extremely run down. You feel deep despair in this area, and are very eager to leave. How do people even live there? Even worse than that, how to families establish some sort of normal and stable life in what feels like a warzone?

Finally you arrive next to the building, looking barely better than the last. There is very little lighting in this area. This place seriously gives you the creeps.

While getting out of the car, you and Abbas nervously look around yourselves, nervously on the lookout for more of Ibrahim's men, or other people who could cause trouble.

You then enter the apartment complex. This time, no key seems necessary to access it. Or perhaps the front lock has been broken for a long while, and the owner has not bothered fixing it. Or similarly likely in the worst areas of Detroit, the owner simply abandoned his property.

Inside the apartment complex, there is very little light. You have to use your phone to light up your way. You end up finding stairs leading up to the third floor.

Once on the third floor, you realize that the apartment of the murdered is at the end of it. But once arrived midway, you hear some strange noises from the end of the hall leading right that's midway, but you're not sure what it is.

How will you approach the stiuation?

A)Abbas, I'll go look at the noise, and join back with you. You deal with the apartment.
B) Abbas, I'll go inside the apartment. You investigate what this noise is.

baud ERYFKRAD alcoholyte

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Bruno: Abbas, I'll go look at the noise, and join back with you. You deal with the apartment.
Abbas: Will do. I'll come back for you if I can't pick the lock though.
Bruno: Come to think of it, I didn't know you could pick locks.
Abbas: Well, I learned it in... in... in my past life, so to speak.

Abbas heads towards the end of the hall, while you get close to the source of the noise.

You quickly discover what is going on: you see a black woman in her mid to late thirties, looking completely drunk, walking around slowly and talking to herself.

She is making such a scene that you worry that other people will come out if this continues.

Seeing that she doesn't appear to be a threat, you approach her. A decision which you quickly regret.

She immediately grabs you.

Woman: Helloooo.... handsome..... want to keep me company tonight?
Bruno: Are you sure you have all your faculties right now?
Woman: What's wrong handsome? Come with me...

You don't want to push her aside or raise your voice, so you are helplessly being motioned towards what appears to be her apartment's door.

She then puts her hand in her right pocket.

Woman: W... where are my keys? Hopefully I haven't lost them. Wh...

Looking closer at her left hand, you find out that she already holds her keyring in her left hand. She is so drunk that she is barely aware of her surroundings.

You don't even have time to point out to her where her keyring is, however. Someone opens the door from the inside.

You now see a young black girl, appearing to be 9-10 years old or so. She throws a downcast look at the woman, presumably her mother.

You tell yourself, what an embarrassing ordeal for a mother to put her child through. Did she really live a young child alone in order to get drunk at a bar and try to pick up guys?

Girl: Hello sir. Are you my mom's date for tonight? Sorry, she tends to drink to much. Come in, I'll just go back to my room to sleep.

Oh my God... you have no words...

Bruno: You are mistaken little girl. I came here to see someone. I just happened to notice your mother in this state in the hallway. She then grabbed me.

The girl looks at you with a sense of deep embarrassment. You understand her. You find her mother's behavior even more appalling.

Woman: What's wrong baby? I'm fine. Let's go in and ha...

The woman then appears to go into some sort of stupor.

Bruno: Well, tell me where her room is. She's not doing too good right now. Let's put her to sleep. Is anyone else in this apartment?
Girl: No, just me. My name's Ashley by the way.
Bruno: I'm Bruno.

Ashley shows you the location of her mother's room. You slowly drag her as she becomes semi-conscious. Ashley opens her bedroom for you. Then, you gently lay her on her bed. She falls asleep.

Bruno: That musn't be easy for you Ashley. Your mother doesn't act very responsibly, at least as of tonight. I think your mother will keep needing your help. Try to be there for her, and to encourage her to get better.
Ashley: Thank you sir. My mom had me when she was very young. She made a series of bad choices. Most of her relationships were volatile. Right now she's with a man named Daryl. He's decent most of the times, but my mother and he had a fight. Since then they started seeing other people.
Bruno: I don't know what to say Ashley. You'll be in my prayers. We must turn to God in difficult circumstances, when things appear hopeless.
Ashley: Thank you. I will be sure to.

As you say this, you hear a voice coming from the hall.

Abbas: Hey Bruno, where are you? I got it, we can leave now.

He appraoches the apartment, and sees you with the little girl.

Abbas: Hi sweetie, everything is going alright here?
Ashley: Yes, my mother came back completely drunk, but your friend Bruno helped bring her to her room and comforted me.
Abbas: Oh, that's too bad. I wish we could do more. We'll think of you, do not lose out on hope.
Bruno: It's late now Ashley. You should to go sleep. Take good care of yourself and of your mom. She might be discouraged and ashamed in these times. She will need to lean on you more than ever.

For the first time, Ashley appears more hopeful.

You both greet her and then leave.

Repressed Homosexual
You and Abbas get the sense of having done a good thing.

While you exit the door to the right leading to the stairs, you hear some noise. There appears to be someone there.

Unfortunately, you are too late to avoid him. You have no choice but to come out in the open.

You look up, and you see on the next floor that a black man appears to be smoking.

Usually, you would think lowly of him for not going outside to have his smoke. However, considering the neighborhood you are in, you kind of understand him.

Black man: Uh... hello? Do... do you need help?
Bruno: We just came to meet our friend, we're leaving now. Take care.
Black man: Ok good... take care. Be careful out there.

He seemed a little weirded out in the beginning, but seems less wary now.

You both leave the building and get back to Abbas' car.

You now have the address for Ibrahim's house.

Abbas: So what do we do now? Should we strike now? We need to think carefully about what we will do. That motherf*cker is really dangerous. And remember what Easy Jay said, there are strange rumors about this house. Who knows what we will find there? Regardless, we have to act. Ibrahim had my brother killed, and for that he must pay.
Bruno: Hmmmm...

A) Go to Ibrahim's house right now to get the book, and find out whatever else he might be up to. Ibrahim's men might be on high alert if you wait too long, condering you escaped their ambush and their will probably warn all their accomplices once the day comes. You also have less likelihood of being seen at night.
B) It's too dangerous to go at night, while it's dark in a house that is reputedly creepy, and while he is probably sleeping there as well. It's better to come back during the day while the house will likely be unattended.

baud ERYFKRAD alcoholyte

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Bruno: I prefer we go now. It's risky, yes. But well at this point, everything is risky. My guess is that Ibrahim will do something really bad quickly, unless he is stopped. He will have the both of us killed on the first chance he gets, he already sent men after us.
Abbas: I should just kiill him. He's the bastard ultimately responsble for killing Mohammed. He should pay.
Bruno: It's tempting Abbas, but we can't do this.
Abbas: Then how? The people are his mosque fanatically believe in him. We don't really have any proof that we can bring to the authorities. All we have is a bunch of people we lost track of who say they were sent by him, and the testimony of what the court will view as an unreliable criminal.
Bruno: There must be more clues at his house. I will go there now, sneak in, and try to find something, along with the book. I will try to be very discreet. Stand guard and wait for me while I venture outside.
Abbas: Ok, his house is in Birmingham, essentially about the cushiest suburb of Detroit.

You both drive there. Once you know how to get there, you turn your phones off.

It is about 3AM when you approach his superb, two story white house, in an area completely devoid of crime that's the complete and utter opposite of the desolate urban wasteland you just left.

Nobody appears to be outside.

You put a mask on and exit the car. Abbas gives you a thumb up.

A fence "prevents" entry, but as everybody knows, anyone who really wants to go into a fenced house will not be stopped by this. Which you aren't. You climb it over quickly and jump on the other way.

Then you step up to the front door.

Locked, of course. But you make quick work of it.

Then you push the creaking door in... what unfathomable evil will you find here?

Repressed Homosexual
All lights are turned off. The rooms are not completely dim because there are a few, faint sources from the electronics of the house. To your right is a kitchen. The noise from a huge refrigerator is all you can hear.

You aim to try to find some sort of office.

You take a flashlight and turn it on, looking around.

You come across some stairs. Ibrahim's bedroom is probably there, and you also think that if he has an office, it's likely to be there as well.

Then suddenly... it's very, very subtle... you don't know what it is... but you believe you have seen... some sort of movement. But what coud it be? It happened so fast.

What the f*uk is this? It gives you the creeps.

You've had men pointing a gun at you. And yet this, somehow, is infinitely scarier.

You're about to climb up...

And then... you hear something behind you!

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

You turn away... what is this!

It's a snake!

The snake almost bit your leg!

You push him down the stairs with your foot.

What the f*ck? He has snakes guarding his house? This man is nuts!

What if these are venomous snakes?

You have a gun, but you can't use them without alerting Ibrahim. And they are such thing creatures that you wouldn't be able to shoot them anyway.

A)Go back down and try to find a weapon before venturing up.
B)Try to go up while carefully looking for any snakes.

baud ERYFKRAD alcoholyte

Repressed Homosexual
As you venture down and point your flashlight down, you see a glimpse of the snake you previously pushed away, which is escaping. It is fairly long at around 8-9 feet, and grey and white in appearance. You cannot tell what kind of snake it is, but none of this sounds good. For your own good, you will presume that it is extremely dangerous, should it ever bite you.

Moreso, it doesn't make sense that this snake was preying after you. You reason that almost no animal preys on humans. Especially small ones. These types of snake probably feed on mice or other relatively tiny animals. Surely, you think, it would only attack humans if they felt in great danger.

You end up thinking that the only reason it is attacking you, is because their master groomed them in such a way as to be very agressive towards any outsiders. If Ibrahim indeed is such a twisted individual, as he's shown so far, it makes perfect sense that he would do so. He doesn't want anyone uncovering his secrets.

Back down, you face the kitchen. On the other side of it is a living room. You point your flashlight around the room and see a giant TV screen, along with a book shelf in the corner. Most of the books are about Islamic theology, and many are written with arabic characters. While you do so, you remain cautious and constantly peek at the floor, since now you know what kind of sneaky foe lurks around the house.

And then, on a wall, you see a painting. And on top of it, you see something very interesting: you see what appear to be two scimitars intertwined in opposite directions. Hmmm... you've already learned how to handle a sword. This seems to be just what you are looking for. The ones you've used so far were considerably more nimble, but this will protect you much better than your fists would.

You grab one of the scimitars with ease. The scimitar is large, stands out a lot and looks very extravagant. But you now feel more confident with it. Not overconfident though; you know these snakes are not to be trifled with. Just a little bit of distraction could prove fatal.

You now make your way back up the same stairs.

Once you arrive, you come in front of three rooms. To the left, you see large doors. You approach the doors, and you actually hear what appears to be some faint snoring. Surely, Ibrahim is sleeping soundly. That at least is good. You have enough with the snakes to worry about. You don't need their dangerous master in your way on top of that.

The middle room is only a bathroom, there is nothing special in it.

And the room to your right is what appears to be an office. Hmmm... could there be something there?

Stepping inside the office, you use your flashlight to discern your surroundings. There is a desk, a couch, another bookshelf with a lot of books, most written in arabic characters, and others in English, that seem to mostly talk about politics and economics.

On the desk itself, there is nothing that seems to be much of interest. These are mostly letters, newspapers and invoices.

Where could that book be?

Hmmm... there doesn't seem to be any obvious area where it could be hidden.

And... what about below the sofa?

You crouch and peer below it... and come face to face with another grey snake!

Repressed Homosexual
Its wide face and empty eyes, devoid of any life and looking like some sort of demonic entity peers at you. You pull away immediately! You do so in time to avoid its bite. This little beast is susprisingly ferocious!

You pull back some more, but the snake pursues you. It tries to flank you on the right.

Not so fast! Finally you can use that scimitar.

Once the snake approaches closely enough... SWASH!

You hit it violently! The snake hisses in terror! Blood comes out!

Then it slowly stops moving. Soon enough, it lays dead before you.

One less snake to deal with. For sure, these beasts are far scarier than any thug you've yet to encounter.

Examining below the sofa again, you don't find anything of interest.

No, the office doesn't appear to be it.

You head back down.

Now you think... well, what abput the ktichen?

You look inside various compartments... no, no books.

Then suddenly... you come across some boxes of cereals.

Well.. come to think of it... that sounds like a good hiding place!

You examine the boxes of cereals one by one...

When suddenly...

Instead of cereals, you find... a tiny book in one of them!

You quickly open it up... and... YES! You've got it! This is it! The book they stole from Mohammed, that details the accounts of the Wolverines!

Your rejoicing doesn't last long however, when you distinguish some more movement coming from the living room. However, you know what to expect this time.

You almost defy him. You remain in a wide open space, so it cannot flank you.

It tries to do so, but you see him from the corner of your left eye.

The snake pursues you unaware of your awareness of it. And when it is close enough...

SWASH!!!

Another of these terrible snakes taken care of.

"YES!" you blurt out. You then realize your blunder. You must not awaken Ibrahim!

Hmmm... is this all you need to do here?

As you are thinking this... you seem to hear some sort of faint noise in the background... it is very, very subtle...

But it seems like... what is this? A voice?

What is going on? Is someone else there?

Could it be below?

Repressed Homosexual
You head back in the main hallway. To your left is another bathroom. To your right, two guest rooms. And at the end of the hallway, to your left, are stairs leading below.

Heading downstairs, you find that the basement contains yet another living room, yet another bathroom, and a few guests rooms. Also, you have access to the garage, where his superb Porsche is parked, and to a room which contains a lot of tools.

You enter each room but they are empty. Nobody is in any of them.

You no longer hear the voice, you think you heard it just once. Or... was it a noise coming from outside?

What should you do?

A)Try to find a hidden room in the basement.
B)Try to find a hidden room at the ground level.
C)Look outside to see if the voice is coming from there.

baud ERYFKRAD alcoholyte

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom