Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA: Honeyman's quest

Repressed Homosexual
Chief: What, you guys are still up for more? That won't be necessary this time. Our detectives are working around the clock to find this girl back.
Bruno: We've met her by chance while we were conducting our own investigation. We really want to try and help. You know that time is of the essence. Every hour that passes, the chances of Ashley ever be found alive diminishes. By the end of the day, we will have almost no chances.
Abbas: You can deputize us. Give us at least today. We have to try. And I know how it works. The media is going to hound you relentlessly to find her.
Chief: Well... I guess you're right. Indeed, I shiver just thinking of briefing the media, while having nothing to say. Alright, you did good work. I'm going to put my trust in you both once again.

You two are then deputized.

The chief then explains to you what happened: her mother's boyfriend, called Anthony Courts, says he drove her to school that day. He usually does, apparently, because the neighborhood is thought to be not very safe. However, her teacher says that she never came in to class that day. It's confusing as to what really happened.

You have to act fast. Try to find out the truth. Now, where to start?

A)Talk to Ashley's mother, Lauren Graham.
B)Talk to Lauren's boyfriend, Anthony Courts, who says he drove her to school.
C)Go to school and talk to the students and her teacher.

Repressed Homosexual
Anthony lives in an apartment building located just a few blocks away from where Lauren and Ashley live. He acts as Anthony's on and off boyfriend. Sometimes, they quarrel, and start seeing other people. It's unfortunate that Ashley has to suffer from such an unstable domestic situation. You are told that apparently, he uses drugs. You wonder if this has anything to do with what has been going on. But to kidnap a child? That seems way beyond the pale. You're not ready to condemn him yet. At least, let's hear him out.

You ring his unit number at his apartment complex.

You then hear the voice of a man who appears annoyed.

Anthony: I ain't seeing anyone today. Please just go away.
Bruno: We're investigating for the Detroit Police. Will you please hear us out?
Anthony: The police? I know my rights. I don't have to say a word to you. I already told them the basics of what I know, why you hassling me again? Now, until you have a warrant, piss off. Stop harassing me.
Abbas: It's a little different, Tony. We met the little girl before, along with her mother.

Upon hearing this, Anthony opens the door for you.

You enter the apartment complex and head for the third floor. You knock.

He opens for you. His apartment is very messy, and littered with empty beer bottles and pizza boxes.

Anthony: Like I said, I don't know much of anything. I left Ashley on the sidewalk next to her school, as usual. This neighborhood is really rough, so I do that as a service to her mom, although we have our ups and downs.
Bruno: Lauren seems to have many lovers.
Anthony: Yeah, like I said, we're kind of in an open relationship, but she's down with it. In fact, maybe it's one of her exes that got pissed at her? That might be worth talking to her about it. When I asked her, she shut down the conversation immediately.
Abbas: And what happened after you left Ashley?
Anthony: Well she started walking down the sidewalk. I can't park right next to the school, so I have to drop her from a small distance away. I didn't get much of a look at her though, I left quickly because I needed to be in for work.

Through this, Anthony warms up, but only slightly. He comes off to you as worried and aggravated. However, who wouldn't be if they would be suspected of being complicit to a child abduction?

You leave not too sure what to make of it.

Now, what should be your next destination?

A) The school where Ashley was dropped off.
B) Lauren, Ashley's mother.

Repressed Homosexual
I want to say I will update this thread again very soon. This summer I went on a binge to find a lot of inspiration and add detail to scenarios I had planned out for the rest of the adventure, which involved viewing many movies, TV shows, reading books, true crime stories, historical events in Quebec and other places with Canada, among others, in order to use my own original ideas combined with the best that already exists in other media. And I just went way overboard with it, although in a good way. I promise that the best is yet to come.

Repressed Homosexual
After the encounter with Anthony, Bruno Honeyman and Abbas Hariri drive hastily towards the school attended by Ashley. They both know that time is of the essence. With every passing minute, Ashley's chances of being found alive diminish a little more. If she is not found today, except for a miracle, it's essentially over for her.

In spite of the immense pressure laying on their shoulders, the two friends are determined. They will not give up. They will give it their all, even if they have to explore every nook and cranny of the dirtiest, most dangerous corners of Detroit. Somebody somewhere must know something! With resolute hearts, they decide they will not give up. Ashley is worth it.

As Abbas is driving towards the school, Bruno's phone rings. Someone is calling him on the encrypted app. Maybe it's Mylene, eager to get comforting news from her husband? At the very least he thinks, it will provide him with a little reprieve, which he sorely needs.

Bruno: Hello?

The person who then replies to Bruno does so in a somewhat accented, French-sounding English.

Louis: Hello, agent Honeyman? It's me, I'm detective Marcoux.
Bruno: Oh, Mr. Marcoux. Glad to talk to you, although I'm busy with something pressing. I do have some time as we are driving across the city. So, what's up, and how can I help you?
Louis: First, you can call me Louis.
Bruno: Alright Mr. Mar... I mean, Louis. As long as you call me Bruno. *chuckles*
Louis: Haha, for sure, Bruno. Seeming as we're going to have to work together for a while anyway. Has Max told you about what happened here?
Bruno: Hmmm, I don't think so. So, have you found out anything about the OTS?
Sylvain: Well...

While Bruno was busy with his adventures in Thunder Bay, in Duluth, and in the Detroit area, at the same time, detective Louis Marcoux didn't stand idly. At least, as soon as he found something important to act upon. But what news does he have to bring?

To find this out, let's first go back a few weeks. Let's see what Louis has been doing during this time.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
CHAPTER 5: DEUS VULT

There's nothing on TV tonight. Yet again. You couldn't possibly enjoy those dumb reality TV shows if your life depended on it. And those news stories with politicians that lie through their teeths don't inspire you either. You see premier Antoine Lavallée, making another boring announcement that you couldn't possibly care about, and while being questioned by a journalist, trying to give a plausible excuse as to why he can't respect one of the promises he made before the last election.

You're sick and tired of excuses. You struggle to find anything to do.

After all the new information you found out recently with your new friends, you went back to work for the SQ. Mostly, your time was spent into either Trois-Rivières, close to your house in Nicolet, or sometimes in Montreal. You thought you would quickly have to go to Quebec city, on the trail of the OTS. However, Commander Nolin told you to wait until they found something to act on.

And so you went about your days, every day wondering when you could finally start. But that day never seemed to come.

At least, some nice things happened in the meanwhile. You were glad to see that Rachel's mental state gradually improved. She gets along famously with your family. She greatly enjoys the outdoors that abound around Nicolet. She frequently accompanies the rest of your family on family outings. And regularly, she has online therapy sessions with a therapist based in Montreal. Once in a while, you drive her there personally so she can meet her therapist in person. And also, to let her enjoy the hustle and bustle and various attractions of Montreal. You also found out that her initially limited French is greatly improving, although obviously, she still has a lot to learn. You see that in Montreal, she seems to be coming alive. She confides to you that when she feels good enough, she now wishes to take a small apartment in Montreal and study at McGill University. Plans which you of course fully approve of. You really wish to see her succeed. You now almost consider her as your own daughter. Cliff, her father, is also pleased to her about Rachel's steady improvements, and visits your family on occasion. He is almost becoming a trusted friend.

And yet, you know this temporary state of bliss cannot last. It eats at you at night when you lay in bed with your wife. You have a hard time enjoying anything anymore, knowing that such dangerous people are pursuing wicked schemes unimpeded. You know that Agent Honeyman, having finished his training, is now on a dangerous mission. But you want to do something, too!

After a while, you get a call from Commander Nolin. He is asking you to find a hotel room in Quebec City, and says you will need to spend most of your time there from now on. They don't have anything concrete right now, but you are told to stay there and wait, it shouldn't take long anymore.

Louis: Well Patrick, you told me that a while ago. These people are sneaky and well-organized, I understand that. But it really makes me worried.
Patrick: Sorry, Louis. I don't know what to say. I'll get back to you soon. In the meantime, just enjoy yourself. Your accomodations will be fully paid for.

You are getting more and more disgruntled. Reluctantly, you start searching for another hotel room. You end up going to the same hotel on boulevard Wilfrid-Hamel, in L'Ancienne-Lorette. Yes, there again. After the recent events that happened here, that made even more obvious to you what sorts of unsavoury activities are sometimes occuring around these parts, you feel a little more uneasy. But for some reason, you're starting to like the place. You're starting to get kind of comfortable. You're not even really bothered anymore by the frequent humming of places circulating in the sky, from nearby Jean-Lesage airport, or by the relatively busy Boul. Wilfrid-Hamel, with a constant flow of cars driving at 70/km per hour. They've become your only company.

You use this time to relax, to clear your mind. You enjoy the nearby restaurants, and movie theater. You take long walks in the city of L'Ancienne-Lorette itself, which is essentially a giant residential neighborhood.

But now, you're feeling stuck. Nothing brings you satisfaction anymore.

As you turn off the TV, you get a call.

Patrick: Louis? It's Patrick Nolin. Sorry to have kept you waiting for so long, but we really need you.

Repressed Homosexual
Louis: Sure, what do you need me for?
Patrick: Well, I think we would need your, well your special talents. For a really delicated task. I've got this request from Commander Réjean Bourque.
(Réjean Bourque is the head of the SPVQ, that is the Service de police de la ville de Québec [Quebec City Police Force])
Louis: Ok, so how can I help him?
Patrick: Réjean prefers to tell you himself. Your hotel is in L'Ancienne-Lorette, I believe?
Louis: Yes.
Patrick: Oh, I see. You missed those girls, right?
Louis: Haha. Very funny.
Patrick: Ok, well there is a hot-dog restaurant that closes at 10 PM I believe on Boul Wilfrid-Hamel. What time is it now? It's about 8:30? Can you meet him there at 9:00 PM? In civiliian clothing, as he will be.
Louis: Sure, I'll be there. I'm eager to see what this is all about.

You already have a copious supper. But... suddenly, you have a craving for this hot-dog restaurant. They have a hot dog and poutine combo to die for, you see. Yes... that sounds good. It sounds like a good distraction from the moribund last few days you've had to endure.

As the hot-dog restaurant is located very closely, you just decide to go there on foot. You cross Boul. Wilfrid-Hamel. Looking to your left, you see people going about their lives, enjoying the various restaurants on this Friday night. You wished you were somehow part of them. But tonight you feel, is not a time where you'll have a really good time.

You enter the hot-dog restaurant, and place your order. As you look around it, you see it is largely deserted. You see an old man, and then what appears to me a couple in their late teens enjoying themselves. And then in a corner, you see a middle-aged man. You recognize him as Réjean Bourque. You wave at him. He appears to recognize you, and wave back. But as he does, you see that a young man that appears to be in his late teens/early twenties is sitting besides him, and also waves at you. What? Who is this guy? Nolin didn't tell you anything about this. He has this tendency of coming up with bad surprises. But maybe he is an important witness?

You get your order consisting of a hot-dog with cole slaw and mayonnaise, a poutine with fresh fries, and a tiny cola. Then you head towards their table.

Réjean: Oh, detective Marcoux. Patrick told me all about you. I heard about that operation in the Maritimes, and the great results you and your colleagues obtained. I must congratulate you for your prowess.
Louis: Thank you, but I prefer not to get too much undeserved credit. Without my friends and colleagues, I could've achieved nothing.

You then turn towards the young man. He is very young, too young to be a police officer. But he has a look of confidence on his face. You start doubting that he is a witness. Then, what is he? A journalist? Someone's relative?

Young man: Hello detective Marcoux. I'm honored to meet you. I'm Éric Gingras. I'm a student at the École nationale de police (the national police school in Nicolet).
Louis: Pleased to meet you, Éric. I live in Nicolet myself.
Réjean: Now, allow me to explain what this is all about. Nolin told me you are on the lookout for some cult or something.
Louis: With all due respect Cmdr. Bourque, it is not just "some cult". It is something very, very bad.
Réjean: Please forgive me. Well, today's business is not really about that, at least I haven't found any hint that it might be. But something very bad is happening in this city.
(You shrug mentally. Of course, it didn't have anything to do with the OTS. And Patrick just so happened not to tell you about it, so that you couldn't weasel out from the meeting. He's a good guy, but he has a tendency of doing sneaky things like these, which occasionally get on your nerves. But oh well, you're not exactly doing anything fantastic these days, you're lazying in your hotel room and walking around pointlessly. While you're here, you might as well listen to what he has to say).
Louis: Ok. Well, the cult investigation is my priority. But while I'm waiting on updates for that, I am willing to help you. So I am all ears.
Réjean: Great! I am relieved. Well, the issue we have is... well, you see... there seems to be a recurring pattern as of late.
Louis: Really? Which kind of pattern?
Réjean: Well... we seem to have a pattern of... of young gay men simply going missing. They're never heard from again. And their relatives are getting worried. I also have a gay rights organization constantly calling us, and demanding us to take action.
Louis: Oh, I see. And you suspect it might be the work of a serial killer? You hope I can help you catch him?
Réjean: I don't know that for sure. But, it puts us between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, I have a gay rights group asking me to take action. And on the other hand, when we actually try to interview people, they just clam up. Nobody in this community who might be a potential witness wants to talk to us. You see, they have been wary of us for a long while. They consider us as "oppressors", although the days when we raided their bars and other hang-out places are long gone, and happened decades ago. But still, how are we supposed to solve this if nobody will talk to us?
Louis: Indeed, I see that you're in an impossible situation.
Réjean: And so... that's where you come in. And also, that's where our friend Éric comes in.
(You're starting to guess what he's about to tell you).
Louis: Let me guess... I suppose you want me to pass off as a homosexual, and go into some of these bars, and try to gather information, since they refuse to talk to the police?
Réjean: It's like you're reading my mind, Louis. People have told me that you're the best for this type of task. They've been raving about the operation in New Brunswick. Would you feel comfortable with it?
Louis: Well... I never thought of it so far. Obviously I'm happily married and don't swing that way... but I suppose I could see it as some sort of light-hearted challenge. I guess I'm up for it.
Éric: And that's also why I'm here. I'm also good at acting. I'm still a student, but obviously I pass as young. I'm also going to head in town and try to dig up info.
Louis: Ok, I appreciate the help Éric. And I'm glad to meet you. Let's start tomorrow night.
Réjean: I'm glad to see you two getting along so well already. And I'm sorry if this puts you in a awkward spot in any way. You should go in establishments on rue St-Jean, that's in Montcalm, it's fairly close to the old town, and to rue Cartier, the one that has all the restaurants. Rue St-Jean is where all the gay bars are.

You finish your meal, shake their hands, get Éric to add you on the encrypted app, and walk back to your hotel room.

Tomorrow, you will have to change your wardrobe a little, in order not to look too stuffy.

Yes sir! Tomorrow night, you're hitting the streets. But in a way you've never done before.

Repressed Homosexual
After you wake up on Saturday, you hit the nearby Wow-Mart. You shop for clothes, but are not sure how to proceed, so you ask for help. After about an hour, you are pleased of the results. You have all you need to groom yourself and look like the hot new guy in town. You choose a shirt that's a little smaller in order to let all your muscles show.

Once back in your hotel room, you look at various TV shows featuring gays. You try to imitate their mannerisms. You decide to do it very subtly. You spend most of the day practicing.

Then once it is the evening, you take the bus. Once you are in Terminus Les Saules, you take another bus that leads you into Montcalm.

You leave the bus when it stops at rue Cartier. Rue St-Jean is just a few roads away.

It is a busy evening tonight, you see lots of young people on a party vibe.

Finally, you arrive at what is supposed to be the biggest gay bar in town: Le Dragueur.

Entering this place with exhuberant confidence, you see many pairs of eyes looking your way, eliciting many smiles. You've already attracted attention. You order an (obscenely overpriced) beer. You sit at a table. You cannot hear much, as it is a very loud place. The music is loud, and people are laughing and talking loudly everywhere.

Looking around, you see some men glancing your way. You decide that you should approach one of them for a friendly talk. Which one should it be?

A) A muscular guy.
B) An accountant with glasses and a suit
C) A party guy.

ERYFKRAD baud

Repressed Homosexual
You decide to head to the table of the welcoming, energetic "party guy" who has been eyeing you. He seems surprised and quite delighted to be the one chosen by you. As he sees you approches, he gives you a hug. You are surprised by such a display of affection, but you suppose that in the gay community, even with strangers, such displays are not uncommon.

Party guy: Hi, I'm Luc.
Louis: I'm Sylvain.
Luc: I've never seen you around here. You knew, I suppose?
Louis: Yeah, you could say that. I'm still fairly new to this. I'm from Trois-Rivières, not much of a scene there, as you can guess. So I came to the big city. Not Montreal, it's still too crazy for me.
Luc: Oh, then welcome. Hopefully you have a great time. We're a friendly bunch, you'll see.
Louis: I was closeted until very recently. My wife went back to her parents' place. You see, a few weeks ago, she caught me looking at gay porn. So, our relationship has been tense ever since then, to say the least. That's how I "came out".
Luc: Ouch! It's kind of funny though, haha. Sorry.
Louis: Yeah, I can see it. But I guess it was a matter of time anyway.
Luc: Don't worry, we've all been there. You'll get more and more comfortable in your own skin. And you'll enjoy finally being able to be you.
(You thought, rightfully it seems, that such a cover story would allow you to easily dispel any awkward vibes you might give.)
Louis: Good to know. So, what's going on around here these days? Anything I should know?
Luc: Well... everyone is a bit on edge as of late.
(Seems this is what you're investigating. Hopefully, you can press him for more info.)
Louis: Oh really? Why?
Luc: People are saying that some young gay men haven't been seen in a long while. Nobody is sure what happened to them. It could be that they just left their party life, moved to Montreal, what have you. But it's curious that some of them seemed to have just vanished, without giving news to any of their friends.
Louis: Oh wow, that's kind of spooky!
Luc: Look. You see over there?

He subtly points to the other end of the room. You see a man with a suit, who looks to be in his late fourties, talking with a man who looks in his early twenties tops. He is putting his hands on the young man's shoulder. The two are laughing.

Louis: Who is this?
Luc: His name is Nick Quimper. He's some big shot lawyer. He has his office on Grande-Allée. I come here often, and I see him frequently. And he always seems to be with a new young man.
Louis: Ok, well that doesn't make a criminal out of him though. Right?
Luc: Sure. He's able to wow them due to his money and status. These young guys are just so impressionable, and desperate for validation. They are easy prey for the likes of him.
Louis: You seem to almost suspect him.
Luc: Well a lot of people are scared about this guy. Apparently, he likes activities like bondage, and sadomasochism... anyway, sorry, I don't want to scare you out either.
Louis: No, that's ok, I appreciate it. Anyway, I'm not expecting to make any moves tonight. I'm just dipping my toe in the water, so to speak. Hopefully you'll understand.
Luc: Oh, of course. You're welcome any time. Here, take my number, and if you want to go out or anything, just give me a call.

You keep conversing with Luc (you learn that his last name is Beaucage), and then end up parting ways. You spend about one more hour having some chit chat with other people, but you don't learn anything new. At some point, you look back to the spot where Nick Quimper was. He's not here anymore, along with the young man who accompanied him.

You then decide to leave. You're surely not going to get ripped off by buying anything else here. Gosh, these prices are criminal!

You leave Le Dragueur. You message Éric, who replies back to you. You meet him and start walking alongside rue St-Jean. You talk to him about what you uncovered.

Éric: Oh, people told me about Nick Quimper too! Everyone is scared of him. Some guys told me to beware of Nick, because I was exactly what he was looking for.
Louis: And apparently, Mr. Quimper has some... peculiar sexual tastes.
Éric: Yeah, I heard that. It seems we must follow that trail. But what should we do now?
Louis: Hmmmm...

A) Éric offers to try to hit on him on the next evening. Let him do it, in the hopes he is invited into his home, and is able to find clues there. Then find an excuse so he can leave abruptly.
B) Start shadowing Nick Quimper.
C) Pay him a visit to interview him.
C) The last three options are too dangerous, or the risk is too great for Nick to start suspecting something. Hit the bars again on the next evening in the hopes of finding out something new about him.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Éric: Quimper looks like kind of an odd name, I think. Where does it come from?
Louis: If I had to guess, it sounds Irish.

You say this to Éric as you board the taxi leading you back to your hotel. As you enter the car and give the taxi driver directions to your hotel, you look up the name on a search engine. Indeed, Quimper is an Irish name. You show this to Éric.

Éric: I didn't know there were Irish families living here.
Louis: It's actually very common in Quebec city. You know a very long while ago, there used to be huge famines in Ireland. Many families boarded ships bringing them to the American continent, a travel which many people didn't survive. Then, after a period of quarantine, many settled in their town of entry. Along with the likes of Boston and New York, Quebec City was one of the places that welcomed many of them. In some cases, the parents died of disease. Yet, every orphaned child was adopted by local French Canadian families. Many of them were even allowed to keep their original Irish last names.
Éric: I didn't know this, thanks. You're quite resourceful. Well, apparently, Mr. Quimper is sure giving his Irish ancestry a bad name.

As Éric speaks to you, you look up info on Nick. He has a successful practice as a lawyer, with many high profile customers. Politicians, businessmen and other bigwigs use his services. He even delved in philanthropic work.

Using the police database, you quickly find where Nick lives: he has a big house in Ste-Foy, in the West part of the "haute ville", on boul. Neilson.

Discussing with Éric, you decide you will at least have a drive there to look at what he's up to. If necessary, you will contact the SPVQ tomorrow to ask them to follow him closely.

Louis : I've seen on this boulevard before. It's close to the big Revenu Québec glass building. Unfortunately for us, it's not a very good spot for us for any kind of stealth work. It's a residential area with low traffic. If we linger close to his house too long, we will easily stand out. Still, I suppose it's worth a shot.

Driving on Wilfrid Hamel boul., you then turn left on autoroute Duplessis. You drive upward on it, gaining your way towards the haute ville, admiring the city lights of the basse ville while doing so.

You then turn right and reach chemin Ste-Foy. Then after a while, finally you are on boulevard Neilson.

You're getting closer and closer to Nick's house.

You are nervous and not sure of what, if anything, you will find there...

Repressed Homosexual
Finally, you see Nick's house. It is pretty massive. Most other houses in this area are bungalows or semi-detached houses. Nick's stands out. However, there are two garage doors. So unfortunately, it seems difficult to determine whether or not Nick is there, or if he also has a guest. You don't find any windows that let you see through. You could try getting closer, but in doing so, you run the risk of attracting Nick's attention.

The house is located close to a clearing, that exists because of the presence of high-voltage lines.

Louis : let's go there and wait a little while. Nick won't see us from such a distance. I can use my camera and zoom in. I'll see if anyone comes out.
Éric: Ok, good idea.

You do this for about 30 minutes. However, nobody comes out of that house.

You are about to give up, drive Éric back to his hotel, and call it a day.

However just as you do... you hear what appears to be... footsteps.

There could always be someone walking this late. It's refreshing, quiet, and even majestic at such a late hour. However, the footsteps are infrequent, and seem to be drawing closer to your car.

What should you do?

A) Drive away.
B) Go see what this is about.
C) Ask Eric to see what this is about. Stand ready to drive away while also readying your gun.

Repressed Homosexual
You open the door and look backward, towards the high-tension lines. You notice somebody with a coat, a hat and a face mask. He is a few meters away from the car. However, when the individual notices you, he starts running away.

At the same time, Éric decides to come out too. He immediately starts running towards the individual. He shouts:

Éric: Eille, kossé que tu fas icitte?

The individual seems to be more panicked. You join in the chase. Fortunately you think, you see nobody around you, so you're not creating a scene. When the individual reaches the grounds of a church, Éric finally catches up to him. He jumps him, smashing him onto the crowd. Then he holds him.

Éric then looks towards you.

Éric: I got him, Louis, I got him!

You then advance towards the man. Are you finally going to get some real answers now?

You remove the mask...

And you have a big surprise.

Louis: Oh, it's you?

You find Luc's surprised face. The surprise soon gives way to a smile. He raises his hands into the air. He says sarcastically:

Luc: I surrender officer! I surrender!
Louis: Ok, come on. You have some explaining to do.
Éric: Wait, so you know him?
Louis: He's one of the people I interrogated tonight.

The three of you walk back to the car.

Louis: You hungry? My treat.
Luc: Ok yeah, I'm in the mood for a poutine.

You decide to go back to the snack bar on boul. Wilfrid-Hamel, as you know it is open late.

You order a meal for him, along with Eric, who is eager to eat the poutine again.

Louis: So, what were you doing here?
Luc: The same thing as you. And if anything, you owe me some answers as well. Imagine how betrayed I felt when I found out you're a cop.
Louis: Well, how did you?
Luc: Initially, you got me good. I totally believed your cover story. After you left, it made me think back of all this stuff about Nick Quimper. I kept mulling it over. Then, I saw you outside, speaking with a young man. I figured that I lost you, that you preferred to just go with a young guy. But then... you two seemed to have a very solemn expression. It started to make me suspicious. Then, I thought back of your questions, and it seemed you were subtly trying to pry answers out of me. You were good at it, I mean. Well anyway, thank for the meal. I'll take it as compensation for my broken heart. *chuckles*
Louis: Ok then, sorry for the misunderstanding. You understand the position we're in. We want to stop that guy too, if he's really killing or snatching gay men away. But gay people don't want to talk to the police.
Luc: Oh you know, I totally get you. Sometimes in the gay community, we're our own worst enemies, I swear. That's why I did the work for you.
Éric: You what?
Luc: Well, people know me around these parts. It's always going to be easier for me to get answers than for an outsider like you. And guess what... I found someone who went to Nick's house, and escaped.

(You didn't expect it. Luc has a rebellious streak, but overall seems harmless and to mean well. Well, let's hear what he found out.)

Luc: This guy was picked up by Nick. He went to his house. Started making out with Nick. Then, Nick got a call, and he told him to wait. It lasted for minutes. So, the guy approached his office. Then he overheard some of the conversation. He didn't understand much... but some of what he understood was "going to Deus Veux..."... well, something like that. Deus Vult?

Afterwards he looked around some more, and found his bedroom. However in his bedroom... he found a whip and handcuffs. So it freaked him out, he thought this guy was dangerous. He was still taking on the phone, so the guy ran out of there. Then he ran away from his house, up to rue Pie XII. He took a bus there. And he never talked to Nick again.

Louis: I have to say Luc, that's very useful. We're not sure what this means though.
Éric: I just looked it up. Apparently, Deus Vult is latin. It means "God wills it."
Louis: It must be a codename though. I can't think of a single place in this area called Deus Vult.
Luc: Anyway, hopefully I've been of service.
Louis: Luc, thank you. Also, thank you for having been a good sport. But please realize that you've been treading very dangerous ground. This guy is very-well connected, a pillar of the community. If he learns you've been trying to dig out info about him, who knows what he could do? Please lay low for now.
Luc: Maybe I will. I mean, I can't just stand idly. Everyone in the bars puts up a front, but everyone is scared. I can't let this freak get away with it.
Éric: Thank you. But at least please try to be careful.

You give Éric a ride back home, to his condominium, located in Charlesbourg. Then you drive Éric to his room as well. Then, finally, you go back to your hotel.

On the next morning, you only have one thing in mind: what is Deus Vult? You need to find out what this name means.

Will you...

A)Look up in old newspaper archives.
B) Go to the Quebec City archdiocese. Since this is a religious name, they might have heard of it. They might have someone who can help you.
C) Shadow Nick Quimper again. Maybe he will interact with someone who can lead you to more.

Repressed Homosexual
Fortunately, this kind of work is much easier now than when you first started as a police officer. All the great newspapers of the 20th century are full digitized, and you can look up all of these archives by keyword. No longer do you need to spend days scouring old dusty archives.

You look up DEUS VULT. Most hits are articles that talk about the Crusades. You learn that Deus Vult was uttered by popes, in order to galvanize their troops and their parishioners, in support of the Crusades of old.

You browse through a lot of irrelevant articles. And just when you are about to give up...

You find an article in the May 5th, 1977 issue of LE SOLEIL, one of the two big daily newspapers in the city.

The title of the article says:

LES DISCIPLES DE DEUS VULT MANQUANTS. LA POLICE EST PERPLEXE.

(The Deus Vult disciples are still missing. The police remains puzzled).

It's so odd... this must be it! It must have a link somehow!

You read the article. It talks about a small religious commune nicknamed Deus Vult, located "beyond the east of Stoneham, in the middle of the woods". The commune was populated by a man named Chanoine (Canon) Olivier Dubreuil and his disciples. It is explained that Chanoine Dubreuil used to be an appreciated member of the Catholic community in town, intelligent and a highly compelling speaker. But then, he started to claim having Marian visions of impending apocalypse. He tries to get the authorities of the Catholic archdiocese to listen to his visions, to no avail. Frustrated, he bought some obscure plot of land located in the middle of nowhere with a few sympathizers, and they moved there.

After not being heard of for a long while, the family of one of the disciples pressured the police to investigate. With great difficulty, the police found the little commune. However, they found it deserted. Every building was thoroughly examined, but no clues were ever found.

It then says that according to some unconfirmed information, the group decided to move away in rural Manitoba, due to fear of impending persecution. Then, it ends with a discussion from a bishop, Mgr. Émile Rousseau, who knew Chanoine Dubreuil very well. He says he is worried, and hopes and prays he will come back to his sense and all the disciples will be found safe and sound.

You look up Olivier Dubreuil or Chanoine Dubreuil, but are unable to find any further hits. You look up online... and there are no mentions that you can find of Chanoine Dubreuil either. The only source you can find is the article from Le Soleil.

You call Le Soleil and ask if they have the contact information from the original journalist who worked on the story. However, you are told that he has long since died. They are not able to find anyone familiar with this story.

You didn't expect to find something so eerie. It seems Deus Vult in this case is referring to an old, seemingly vanished religious sect. But is this the same group as that discussed by Nick? What happened to them? Are they really somewhere in the West in English Canada? Is there any link between them and the OTS?

You face more questions than answers. You seem to have hit a dead end. Then you think, hmmm... maybe someone in the archdiocese remembers Chanoine Dubreuil and Deus Vult?

Since you have no other options, you decide to head to the archdiocese now. You know it is located on boulevard René-Lévesque, so you begin your drive there.

Repressed Homosexual
Driving through the majestic 100 year old trees on boul. René-Lévesque, you easily reach the headquarters of the archdiocese.

An archdiocese that is only a shadow of its former self, seeing as like you, most Quebecers have long since become indifferent to the practice of Catholicism. But what a self it was!

Indeed, it is often said, with reason, that the Quebec City area is considerably more conservative than the rest of the province. Not from a social standpoint, but from an economic standpoint, that certainly remains true. Outside of a few student-heavy ridings, it only ever elects conservatives.

Much of that is due to the considerable sway the Catholic Church used to hold over the French Canadian population, in Quebec City in particular, which was once nicknamed "the Rome of the North".

With some nervousness, you walk towards the entrance of their offices. After having entered, you are greeted by an enormous painting of the Christ. You then see the reception desk, manned by a female receptionist.

The receptionist notices you.

Woman: Yes? Can I help you?
Louis: I'm detective Louis Marcoux, I work for the SQ. I need help with an investigation. I need information on a breakaway sect that broke off from the church to establish itself up north in the woods. Ideally, someone who was involved in the archdiocese in the 1970's and was pretty in the know.
Woman: Oh wow, I see. Well... I need to go and check out something in the back. Do you mind waiting?
Louis : I don't. Thank you very much.

You sit and wait.

The lady comes back after about 10 minutes.

Woman: Agent Marcoux? Archbishop Guy L'heureux is in his office right now. I didn't really know which way to go about your request. So I asked him directly. He says that back then he was studying in a seminary in Montreal and too young to be in the know with what happened here. However, he might know people who could possibly help. Go right, and it's the third door to your right.
Louis : that's very helpful. Thank you.

You are very nervous as you walk towards his office. You didn't expect this. An archbishop! A cardinal! That's who you're about to meet. You haven't been to mass for a long time... but you must recognize that even for you, meeting with a prestigious holy man puts you in a state of awe. That's probably human nature.

You knock lightly.

Man: Yes detective? Please enter.

As you open the door, you see a tiny man with a friendly appearances and glasses who invites you to sit. He is warm and instantly puts you at ease.

Mgr L'Heureux: You've got me quite concerned and intrigued detective. Do you mind explaining to me what this is all about with as much detail as possible?

You spend about 20 minutes describing to him what happened. You show him a copy of the old article from Le Soleil.

Guy: That sounds like it's been quite an adventure. I commend you for busting that sex trafficking ring. It must have been quite an ordeal for you. I can't comprehend how someone could do that to another human being. And the same goes for this supposed gay serial killer. Some people are simply deranged.

After viewing the article, my sense is that most of the people mentioned in it have long since died. However, there is one man who is still alive. Mgr. Rousseau is still alive, although he is now 91 years old. He lives in a long term care home called Les jours heureux. He spent his last few years in active ministry in Trois-Rivières and settled there afterwards. If I had to venture a guess, he's probably the only man who can still help you.
Louis : Good to know, father. I can go meet him in person without issue. I happen to live in Nicolet.
Mgr. L'Heureux: I will call him and tell him that you will be coming, this way he can prepare. I can't believe that this has happened, and these people have just vanished. Seemingly, for fifty years, these people have been lost to history. Society has abandoned them. And I suppose, we as a church have abandoned them. Sure, we found them to be heretics. But we had even more of a duty to reach out to them. I hope we can all make amends by finally finding out what happened, and hopefully by making the killings cease.
Louis: you've been more than helpful, Father. I'll drive there immediately.
Mgr. L'Heureux: oh, and I suppose you're not really too much into this stuff. But if you'll allow it, I'll pray for you. May God keep you safe, and enlighten your path.
Louis: I appreciate it very much, Father. We'll reach out to you if we find out what happened.

You leave and see that Mgr. L'Heureux looks very worried about this situation, even a little shameful. He's right in that everybody forgot about these people. You can't even find where their commune was anywhere!

You begin the familiar drive towards Trois-Rivières on highway 40.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
You already know where to go, seeing as you know Trois-Rivières like the back of your hand. Les jardins heureux is a long term care home located in downtown Trois-Rivières, bordering the St-Lawrence river.

You park and enter the building. Looking to your right, you see a list of names. Browsing through the names of the tenants, you find E. ROUSSEAU. Most surely, that's Mgr. Rousseau.

You press it.

"Oui? C'est pour quoi?"

Louis: Mgr. Rousseau? I'm Louis Marcoux. You were told of my coming, I believe?
Mgr. Rousseau: Yes, I've been eagerly expecting you. My apartment is on the 3rd floor. Please come in.

You came in plain clothes, because you do not want to cause alarm in the population. Seeing as you are more muscular than average, you notice people looking at you. But then again, they don't know anything about you. For all they know, you are a distant relative of Mgr. Rousseau.

You go into the elevator.

You arrive on the 3rd floor. Then, you quickly find your way to apartment 312. You knock.

Mgr. Rousseau: S'il vous plaît, entrez.

You enter to find an old man sitting on his sofa. He is worn out by old age, and seems to suffer from arthritis. Nevertheless, he looks at you benevolently, and seems to possess an alert mind. It seems the old man is still sharp.

Louis: You are quite alert for your age. That's good to see.
Mgr. Rousseau: Actually, I've been starting to show early signs of dementia. I'm quite vivid most of the times. Perhaps the Lord kept my mind sound until I was able to meet you. This unfinished business has been gnawing at me for a long time. I've wondered what has become of these people for a long time, and I'm profoundly sorry we weren't able to find them.
Louis: So what is Deus Vult, exactly? Is this the group? The commune they lived in?
Mgr. Rousseau: I believe it's pretty much both. Olivier Dubreuil named it this way, and I think they ended up calling the lot they settled in this way as well, but it never had any official designation.
Louis: How come it seems nobody knows where this lot was?
Mgr. Rousseau: I think this matter made people deeply uncomfortable. So people tended to want to forget all about this mysterious group. Also, their land was on the edge of the city of Stoneham's grounds. Of course, Stoneham since then no longer really exists, it's been merged into Quebec City proper almost 25 years ago. As far as I know, it was always a little vague which government entity was responsible for the land, nobody wanted to touch it. It's a vast plot of woods, with a clearing in the middle, where they actually constructed their commune.
Louis: Really, the status of the land is probably vague to this day? And nobody really knows who owns it?
Mgr. Rousseau: Actually no. Olivier purchased it back then with his savings. About 7 years after he disappeared, he was declared legally dead, and so his estate as far as I know sold the land.
Louis: And who is the new owner?
Mgr. Rousseau: This was in the eighties. The owner was a prominent businessman in Quebec City. His name was... give me some time to recall it... it was... it was Declan Quimper.
(What??? Quimper?????)
Louis: Thank you so much, it seems I'm getting closer! We suspect a prominent lawyer from Quebec City, Nick Quimper, to be responsible or indirectly tied to the disappearance of several young gay men. I presume that Declan was his father. So it seems to me... that this place, seemingly forgotten by everyone, would be the perfect emplacement to either bury these young men after they were killed... or even worse, to hold them captive in some sort of dungeon.
(At this point, Mgr. Rousseau looks at you with scared eyes)
Mgr. Rousseau: Oh my God... how horrible! I guess we musn't jump to conclusions. But still... I really regret not having done more. What if I could've prevented it?
Louis: Mgr. Rousseau, nobody could have foreseen this. I'm determined to put an end to it.
Mgr. Rousseau: Here, you will need it. I printed a map of the area. It will show you how to get there. You must stop at a road, upon which you must cross the woods for a long while. There used to be a small path there, but it's probably been completely overrun by weeds by now. I didn't think I would remember it, but I've been there once, to try to help the police identify potential important artefacts or signs. I will never forget that day.
Louis: So who was Chanoine Dubreuil? You knew him?
Mgr. Rousseau: I was his contact point between the archiocese and him. He was very zealous, and beloved. We all thought he would be up to great things. But that's when he started claiming to have visions of the Virgin Mary. There was some sort of process, by which we determined that his so-called visions were not genuinely from God. After which he became disgruntled, and convinced a few sympathizers to follow him to this new plot of land he bought.
Louis: What is on the commune?
Mgr. Rousseau: It's just a few buildings. There was a tiny school, a tiny apartment building, a house, a church with a chapel... and that's pretty much it. He wasn't very successful at it. He was too strict and demanding, too quickly.
Louis: If there are actually prisoners there, where is the most likely area where they would be held?
Mgr. Rousseau: Sorry, I really have no idea.

You discuss for a while, and then start leaving. Mgr. Rousseau thanks you profusedly. It seems that he has felt really guilty about the situation for a long while. Hopefully, you can put an end to this, and give the old man some well-deserved peace of mind.

It seems you now have all the information you need. You already know your next destination.

Repressed Homosexual
"I don't know Louis... it still seems way too circumstancial. I don't think we'll get a judge to give us a warrant. We don't really have any evidence here, only hearsay."
Louis: What? But gay young men might be buried there! Nick Quimper might kill more of them? What will it take you to act?
Réjean: *Sigh*... I know... it's tearing me up inside. And you've done some great work. But face it, we don't have any proof that Nick Quimper is kidnapping or killing gay men, let alone keeping them on that plot of land. The only proof we have is that he owns it. Declan Quimper died of a heart attack 15 years ago, and Nick was his only son. We have some hearsay, about some guy who went to his house, and heard the name Deus Vult... but that's not evidence and you know it. A judge will throw it out in a heartbeat! Sorry, but we need more. I'll ask my agents to keep a very close watch on Nick Quimper.
Louis: Allright.. I understand...

No, it can't be! We're so close!

You call Éric to vent about the situation.

Éric: Man, how frustrating!
Louis: We need to act quickly. Gay men might be held captive in this land. Quimper might decide to get rid of all of them if he finds out the police is on his trail. I'm sorry... but my decision is made. I'm going in.
Éric: You're serious?
Louis: Yes. I can't stand idly. I won't! It's very late... but I'm going as quickly as possible.
Éric: I'll help you too!
Louis: Éric, I think it's too risky. I don't know what I'll find there. But since I think there might not be any cell reception in this area, if you want to help me, please remain in Stoneham. If I am not back after two hours... call the SPVQ. I'll give you a copy of the map. Make up as excuse to have them investigate the place.
Éric: Alright.

After a little bit of preparation, you start the drive towards Stoneham... and Deus Vult. You need to find this place that time seemingly has forgotten.

What will you find there?

If only you knew at that point you decided to go in... if only...

Repressed Homosexual
As you arrive in view of Stoneham, it starts raining. You seem dark gray clouds in the sky. It doesn't matter anymore. You won't back down. You CAN'T back down!

You find the spot on the road where you are to start walking. You park out of the way, and hide your car in the forest. Then you go back.

After walking for two minutes, you indeed see some sort of faint path. It is barely visible. As Mgr. Rousseau expected, it is completely overrun by weeds. You can't even look at the ground and see if there are other footsteps. So much so that walking forward is very challenging. Nevertheless, you keep doing it.

On the horizon, you see a vast mountain. There are many mountains in this area. Stoneham is renowned precisely for it. The view is fantastic. But who knows it might hold something so sinister?

After walking for 10 minutes or so, it seems the clearing is finally in view. You arrive in front of a metallic fence. You see a sign: DÉFENSE D'ENTRER. PROPRIÉTÉ PRIVÉE.

You circle it. It is so dark that you can't really see what's on the other side. You end up finding what appears to be a door, but you don't find the key.

There are trees just besides the fence.

Mmmmm, how to go in?

A) Try to force open the door.
B) Try to climb over the fence.
C) Try to climb up a tree and jump down on the other side.

ERYFKRAD baud

Repressed Homosexual
Your first thought is to force the door open, but if you were to do that, you figure that Quimper or anyone else who would come here would find out that someone trespassed on these grounds.

You find a pine tree that looks sturdy, with a branch that leads to the other side of the fence. You carefully, slowly climb up the tree. Then, you walk slowly on the branch.

After about five minutes, you are on the edge. You get close to the edge, which goes downward under your weight.

Then you do your best to fall gracefully onto the tall weeds you see on the ground. You fall.

Your legs are a little hurt, but overall, you're fine.

You are now one of the very, very few outsiders to have reached the Deus Vult commune in over 50 years.

Repressed Homosexual
It is extremely dark. There's no source of light at all around you, and dark gray clouds in the sky. In the same time, heavy rain pours down on you.

You have no choice but to use your flashlight.

You see some weeds and trees. You then point your flashlight on the dark horizon.

After walking for a few minutes, you finally see some buildings on the horizon. Most seem made out of wood, and in extremely bad shape.

You draw closer to the buildings. The first one in front of you seems to be a building with some tiny apartments. Just like Mgr. Rousseau mentioned.

As you draw closer to it... suddenly, you hear a sound... it is a growl...

Then you seem to hear more growlings, and some sort of movement. What is going on here?

After five seconds, you quickly have your answer: you see three doberman dogs staring at you menacingly.

The dogs seem ruthless and mean. They seem to be here to deal mercilessly with any outsiders who would dare to trespass. Then they bark loudly and start running towards you.

Just as you are about to grab your gun... uh? Where is it? Oh no! It must have fallen out while you were climbing the tree!

The dogs in the distance keep running towards you. They look like they want to rip you to shreds. They have a demented air about them.

If it was only one dog, you might stand a chance. But three fast dogs, who are presumably heavily trained for combat, and being purposefully famished... you don't stand a single chance.

You need to take refuge in one of the three buildings in your vicinity, and hope to get in before the dogs get to you!

A) The apartments.
B) The school.
C) The church.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom