Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA: Honeyman's quest

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A

Repressed Homosexual
You immediately react by trying to grapple something around you repeatedly, kicking and jumping around. Eventually, you bump into someone. You can barely see him in the obscurity. You only see a silhouette.

Man: Ah tabarnak!

You feel the man pulling away from you. You grapple him successfully! Then, he kicks your foot. It hurts and you lose your hold on him. You end up grabbing his hand. You can discern a gun! With a quick motion, you grab the gun off him. The gun is thrown away in another corner of the room!

The unidentified man, seeing that he has lost his advantage, seems to decide to flee before you can see clearly enough to overwhelm him.

Man: Toé Marcoux, tu perds rien pour attendre!
(Marcoux, you're going to get it. Just you wait!)

The man then leaves the condo. You hear footsteps on the stairs. You try to pursue him, but it takes time before you reach the door. You leave the condo building. Unfortunately, you hear a car that appears to be speeding away. The man has now escaped. But at least, you've avoided the worst. You fell into a trap, but dodged it successfully at the last minute.

You presume that Samuel is long gone by now. But then you look around, and over the next identical condo building, you see a man who appears to be of Middle-Eastern origin holding someone to the ground. You approach closer... and you see that the man being held to the ground looks suspiciously like Samuel.

The middle-eastern man turns towards you.

Middle-Eastern man: This man was trying to flee from this building. I was just coming back from a party, you see. I found that suspicious. So I grabbed him and held him. The police are on their way right now.
Louis: Good job. I'm detective Louis Marcoux, from the SQ. This man who calls himself Samuel tried to lure me into a trap. A hitman was waiting for me, but he ended up escaping after I grappled him in the dark. Did you see him flee?
MEM: Sorry, I did hear a car speeding away, but I didn't pay attention to it. I was focused on our boy here.

Samuel sounds increasingly panicked.

You approach him. You look him in the eyes.

Louis: Hello, Samuel. You've got some explaining to do.
Samuel: Screw you, I don't have to talk to you! I... I... I was forced! That's it! He threatened me so that I'd lure you! They wanted the document that was hidden, and to get rid of you! You're becoming a major thorn in their side!
Louis: And who was that man? Plus... you were riding in the car with me the whole time. How come you didn't ask me for help then? You were under no threat in the car with me.
Samuel: Because I... I...

Samuel then realizes he made a mistake by talking to you and ceases talking. At this point, you see a patrol vehicule from the SPVQ approaching.

You greet the officers and explain them the situation. They are shocked and in disbelief. You arrest the suspect, read him his rights, and leave it in their care. They tell you they will keep him in a jail cell in their neighborhood police station in Charlesbourg, and will interrogate him tomorrow.

You thank the Middle-Eastern man again. Then you make the 20 or so minutes drive back to your hotel room.

This time, you no longer are bothered by anything. But you have a long day ahead of you, that you already know.

Someone tried to kill you. Apparently, somebody important didn't appreciate your investigation with Deus Vult, or Nick Quimper, or both.

After today, you can no longer stay in this hotel. You do not want to endanger anyone else.

Still worried, and wondering who was that man who tried to kill you, you fall into a delirious sleep.

Repressed Homosexual
You wake up at 11 AM. You turn on your phone, and see many missed calls. You barely pay attention to it.

You are most anxious to see the news. The Deus Vult story is big right now. You listen to a news video channel. The SPVQ is doing a press conference. You see Réjean Bourque briefing a stunned media. Looking at another channel, you see footage from an helicopter, flying over the former Deus Vult commune. Bystanders are gathering, around the site, and the police is trying to keep them away.

Another story is that of Nick Quimper. Unfortunately, for now the press seems to be going with the murder-suicide theory that you now know is patently untrue. A journalist is interviewing people in front of the Dragueur.

"I always knew Luc was weird! He kept asking around about Nick Quimper. I guess he just lost it! Or maybe he was jealous!"

These people are simply spouting nonsense. But what can you do.

What about the note? You finally decide to read it.

"Hi Louis. I decided to go back to Nick Quimper's house. I was able to sneak in, even though I had the suspicion of being followed. I tried to find something. I found Nick's agenda, and there was a mention of a call to a man named Daniel Lavallée. There were also the letters OTS next to it. Wondering what those letters could mean, even though I'm just speculating wildly, it made me think of the old story with the Solar Temple cult. Then, I thought I heard noises, and left. I went back home. I'm leaving you this note to help you in your investigation. Nick is a major creep, surely involved in very shady things, and I'm determined to go back and find out more as soon as I can. Take care, and keep me posted."

Hmmm... what could this mean?

Judging from the recent events, you guess that Luc was captured. He was interrogated and asked what he knew. He was asked about you, whatever he had discovered, and whatever evidence of such discoveries remained. Then, they dragged him back to the house. Nick Quimper was probably assassinated by a group or by someone who thought that, with the Deus Vult story and kidnapped gay men story about to be revealed, his indiscretions had become too inconvenient to them. He needed to be silenced permanently. Then, they killed Luc, and disguised it as a murder-suicide story that the authorities would easily believe. Which fortunately, you ended up seeing through.

Now... who is Daniel Lavallée?

While wondering that, you see another story on the news.

"Tonight a man suffering from dementia in Trois-Rivières fell off from his balcony. An ambulance and the police were called, and he was found dead on the ground. The administration from Les jours heureux is not commenting the situation so far, but they are cooperating with the authorities."

What... Les jours heureux??? You've just been there! And... oh no! Could it be? Is... is it Mgr. Rousseau? Did he die? Was he... was he killed too?????

Oh my God. It's too much! Did they kill him too???? Was he... was he silenced?

But wait, how did they know about this? Only two people knew that you were visiting Mgr. Rousseau: Mgr. L'heureux from the Archiodese of Québec, and Réjean Bourque.

Just as you start feeling suspicious, you receive a call.

Réjean: Hello Louis. Again, nice work last night. Sorry for all you went through. Just got done with my press conference. Can we talk now? We need to try to figure out what happened.
Louis: Sorry Réjean, but not yet. I need to go somewhere first.
Réjean: Alright, you seem to know what you're doing. I'll go back to my office and wait for your call. Oh yes, and one more thing.
Louis: Yes?
Réjean: How did it feel to smash that bastard at the hotel? The guys were really impressed with how you handled it. Apparently they had a tense situation, but they were too intimidated to do anything.
Louis: Pretty good I guess. But we'll discuss it later.

You decide to go to the Archiocese.

Repressed Homosexual
Arriving back inside, you find no one is at the desk. You decide to wait. Then, you see someone coming out. It is Mgr. L'heureux.

Louis: Mgr. L'heureux, did you hear about the story at Les jours heureux? Did Mgr. Rousseau actually die?
Mgr. L'heureux: I did hear about it. I was afraid of the same thing. I have no details right now. But it's a good thing you came here. There's something else that troubles me a lot that I need to tell you about.
Louis: I'm all ears.
Mgr. L'heureux: At the end of the day yesterday, I came back to the archdiocese, because I had forgotten important notes for an upcoming speech. I entered, but then I was surprised to hear a my secretary, Sophie. She was there too at a very late hour. I don't know who she was talking to. It seemed suspect to me, so I listened without making myself noticed. I heard her talking about Mgr. Rousseau. I think I also heard her talk about "other interlopers". That there was a delicate situation and that some people "needed to get rid of". I was so horrified at this point that I left.

I didn't want to believe it in the beginning. I thought it was just my paranoid, sleep-deprived mind. But then I came back today, Sophie is nowhere to be found. I went to her condo, but nobody is answering. I came back here and was about to call the police when you came, especially after I saw the news stories about Deus Vult and about Les jours heureux.

It's a very good thing that you finally brought that terrible story into the light. I offer my deepest sympathies for these poor victims and I am relieved that at least some of the kidnapped men were found. If they want it, I offer to go visit these men myself to comfort them and pray for them. It's the least I can do. And no, I won't try to criticize them for their orientation or anything like that. I just want to offer compassion and the love of Christ.

Louis: I'm sure they'll greatly appreciate it. Thank you archbishop. I fear the worst about Sophie. If this truly did happen and she's nowhere to be found, I fear that either she went into hiding, or she is trying to flee the country after coordinating a hit. I will need her full details.

You get the details from the archbishop. Then you contact Cmdr. Nolin from the SQ.

Louis: Nolin, I need the details for this woman to be sent to every border station in the country to our US partners, and also to the security personel of every international airport in Canada. This woman is very dangerous, and I fear she is trying to flee the country. If that is indeed the case, she must be stopped! We have the testimony of Archbishop L'heureux who heard her taking part in a probably murder conspiracy. That should be enough to get an arrest warrant from a judge. Please see to it immediately.
Nolin: Ok, I'll indeed get to it immediately. The earlier we do, the more chances we have to catch her.
Louis: Thank you, I have some pressing matter I need to get to.

You start driving on highway 40. Back to Trois-Rivières. What really happened at the Les jours heureux residence?

Repressed Homosexual
You arrive in view of Trois-Rivières. Soon enough, you are in the parking lot of Les jours heureux.

You enter, and head to the reception.

Louis: I'm detective Marcoux from the Sûreté du Québec. I need to talk to the head administrator of the residence.
Clerk: One moment, I'll see if Mr. Despatie is available.

The woman at the reception makes a phone call. She seems to be almost whispering into the phone. She then hungs up.

Clerk: Unfortunately, Mr. Despatie is not available to talk to you right now. We have already given our full cooperation with the SQ. We have nothing more to add right now.
Louis: Alright, enough with this nonsense. I'm going myself.
Clerk: But I said that Mr. Despatie...
Louis: Well, I guess you'll have to call the police! So work on that.

You ignore the woman. You ask one of the elderly residents where the office of the head administrator is. He points you to a hallway.

Elderly man: It's at the end. Everyone is really tense because of what happened. Although based on what the residence staff has said, it seems to be a very unfortunate accident.

Not daring to tell this frail old man how skeptical you are, you head to the administrator's office.

You knock. Nobody answers. You seem to hear noise inside.

You just open.

Despatie: Officer? What are you doing here? I'm not available right now. We've already given the SQ our full cooperation. You're just harassing us right now. Please, be reasonable, and be patient. Otherwise, you'll give me no choice but to file a complaint with your superiors. Anyway from the looks of it it really is nothing but a terrible accident from a man who wasn't quite well.
Louis: That's nonsense. Mgr. Rousseau wasn't really suffering from dementia, or barely so. I talked to him myself just recently. He was in fact surprisingly lucid for his age.
Despatie: Well, that may be so. But you know, sometimes dementia can come in waves. What's to say that Mgr. Rousseau didn't have a sudden relapse, that proved fatal?
Louis: I have every suspicion to believe that it wasn't an accident. I believe it was a murder disguised as an accident. Somebody who might have taken part in the conspiracy is about to be arrested really soon. I'm not joking, Mr. Despatie. Please cooperate with me. I know what you want above all is to protect the reputation of Les jours heureux. But you're out of your depth here. And if you refuse to help us, when that person will be arrested and the truth probably revealed, you will only look worse off.
Despatie: Alright... fine... I don't think I can do anything much to help you though. I just don't want to create panic here. Surely you'll agree with that? This establishment has had several happy customers for decades and indeed it wouldn't be fair if our good name would be sullied.
Louis: First off, I would like to have your security footage to review.
Despatie: I would like to help you. But unfortunately, our camera system has been broken for months. It's not recording. I wanted to get around to fixing that for a long while, but something always came up with our budget. I know how lame it sounds.
Louis: Fine, I guess. I would like to interview anybody who was working last night, along with maybe Mgr. Rousseau's neighbors.
Despatie: If you promise to be discreet, I'll agree to that. Please, these are elderly people in the twilight of their lives. They deserve peace and quiet as much as possible.

You find out that only one person was working on that evening. A nurse who was on guard. You come to interrogate her. Unfortunately, she isn't sure if she noticed anyone suspect entering the building.

Usually, it's impossible to enter without entering the correct PIN. However, you find out that an alternate, slightly obscure exit is unsecured. Anybody could have came in and out without being noticed.

Unfortunately, the neighbors have not noticed anything special either. One of them might have heard foodsteps in the night, that sounded too dynamic to be that of a sluggish elderly person, but they are not sure.

Discouraged, you leave the building. You will seemingly never have a clear answer as to what happened, unless a surprise witness who has seen a suspect comes in.

As you are about to leave, you come across the same man you saw earlier.

Elderly man: It's about Mgr. Rousseau, isn't it? You think it wasn't an accident?
Louis: I don't want to cause alarm, but yeah, I don't think it was.
Elderly man: I actually agree. I met him at diner almost every day. He was coherent and lucid. He might have the onset of dementia, but it really didn't show. And a sudden relapse, that just so happens when he is found dead after having fallen from a balcony? That makes no sense.
Louis: It's sad because nobody seems to have seen anything.
Elderly man: Well, I had dinner with him in the dining room recently. At least I can tell you this. He seemed very happy and serene. I asked him why, and he said that recently, he had a huge burden offloaded off his shoulders. So, I think he was in a good state of mind before he died. At least, I believe we can get some relief out of that. Well, you have a good day, officer. Keep chasing those bad guys. They sure better watch out!

Was it your visit that made Mgr. Rousseau relieved? He said he felt a lot of guilt over what happened to the Deus Vult commune. Maybe in your visit, he was able to unburden himself from some of the guilt and self-loathing he carried for so long. You're only sorry that you weren't able to share your success with him.

Maybe from up above, he knows? Hopefully.

Repressed Homosexual
You head to Nicolet, to your house.

Louis: Honey, something serious is happening. I think you need to leave this place for now. Someone tried to kill me the other day.
Wife: Oh my God! I agree. But where will we go?
Louis: I asked Rachel's father. He says he would be more than glad to help us. I doubt they will pursue you there. Plus, he says he is armed. He wants to return the favor for us having taken care of Rachel.
Wife: But what about the children and their schooling?
Louis: I'll ask Nolin. He will make a tutor available for them, who will coordinate with their school. They will be able to complete their semester.
Wife: What should I tell them?
Louis: I hate to make them worry but... I think they deserve the truth. Let's not sugarcoat things. Rachel's father is coming tonight, he's on his way here with a van.
Wife: I guess it will be a good experience for the children. Maybe we can visit some of the beautiful landscapes and attractions in New Brunswick. Come see them with us when things get quieter.
Louis: I promise.

After that, you go see your uncle. You go back to Quebec City with him, so he can fetch the dogs. The dogs seem to be happy to meet their new master. But while they do, St-Marc seems to be clinging to you.

Uncle: Seems that he likes you and wants to stick around you, Louis. How about it? You said you've been up to some dangerous things as well. You would be safer this way.
Louis: I'm not sure I have the right to.
Uncle: Oh who cares? Just bring him back if he causes too much of an issue. What if he would save your life?
Louis: Alright. Thank you.

You pet your new companion.

You go back to the hotel on boul. Wilfrid-Hamel, to tell the manager that you have to leave.

Manager: I've seen what you've done for us the other day. If you want, I have a house in L'Ancienne-Lorette that is unoccupied. It will need some heavy repairs eventually, but it's fine to live in for the time being. I will give you the first three weeks of stay for free. After that, I'll offer you a reasonable price. This way, you'll stay safe and not put anyone else in danger.
Louis: You're very generous, sir.
Manager: It's me who thanks you. The SPVQ officers were too cowardly to do anything. Thank God you were there.

You take the key to your new place, and go make yourself comfortable there.

Then, you receive a call on your phone.

Réjean: Louis, I have very good news! They caught Sophie! She was trying to take a flight from the Lester B. Pearson airport in Toronto, to the Republic of the Congo. But someone from airport security recognized her pictures. She was then arrested. These officers are coming right now in a chartered flight to deliver her to us, which will land at the Jean-Lesage airport. Can you go there and help escort her to the police station? You're the ideal man for the job. She will no doubt need to be interrogated.
Louis: With pleasure. I'll go right now.

Well, that's at least some good news to go on. Let's see what Sophie has to say for herself. And why was she trying to flee to Congo?

Repressed Homosexual
Driving first on boul. Wilfrid-Hamel and then on route de l'Aéroport, you quickly arrive in the incredibly sparsely used Jean-Lesage airport.

It keeps growing every few years, and yet, there is only very little traffic in this airport. It simply makes no sense. Something smells funny about these contracts. It looks to you like a white elephant.

Anyway, after you enter, you see Jolicoeur waiting for you.

Raphaël: The man of the hour! Can I have your autograph?
Louis: Very funny. Do you know if her flight is about to arrive?
Raphaël. Yes, come with me.

You take the escalator leading to the first floor.

Louis: I wonder why she chose to go to Congo. Does the OTS really have operations there?
Raphaë: Personally I think it's because it's a banana republic. Also, there's no mutual assistance treaty between Canada and Congo. Remember that pastor who was accused of molesting some of his congregants? He used his bail to take a plan to Congo from the same airport. They had confiscated his Canadian passport, but he still had his Congolese one, I think. Anyway he just flew there, and of course now he's untouchable. So in the case of Sophie... I guess that so long as you have ties with somebody powerful, who might put money in the right pockets from some government official ready to look the other way, you'll enjoy a safe haven there.
Louis: That makes total sense.

Airport personnel waves you in. You wait for Sophie to arrive.

It doesn't take long for you to see Sophie descending another escalator, in cuffs, accompanied by two RCMP officers.

They give her into your care, you have small talk with them, and off you go.

Louis: Sophie Letendre. Comme on se retrouve!
Raphaël: I trust your flight was comfortable?
Sophie: Yes, very much so.
Louis: Hopefully, your cuffs are not too uncomfortable either.
Sophie: *sighs*... no, not really...

Sophie comes off as haughty and indifferent. She doesn't say anything unless spoken to. She doesn't offer any resistance.

You then drive her to closest police station from the SPVQ. It is located on route de l'Église in Ste-Foy. You intend to proceed with an interrogation.

Unfortunately, Sophie largely stays mum and dismissive.

Louis: The Mgr. L'heureux heard it all. You plotted to have people killed. Mgr. Rousseau died. Luc Beaucage died. Nick Quimper died. And you know what? Other than the archbishop and the chief of the SPVQ, you were the ONLY person who knew I was going to question Mgr. Rousseau. It really doesn't look good for yourself.
Sophie: So you say.
Raphaël: What links do you have to the OTS? Who committed all these murders? Who were you talking to over the phone to order these murders? Detective Marcoux here was ambushed in Luc's condo by a hitman and barely escaped alive. Who are the people behind it?
Sophie: Well, you tell me.

The interrogation is quickly cut short. A fat man wearing a suit enters the interrogation room.

Man with a suit: Ok, stop, STOP! Stop harrassing my client! You Sophie, not a word, you heard me? This interview is over!
Louis: And you are?
Albert: My name is Albert Lachance, attorney. I've been assigned to represent Mrs. Letendre here. You guys are seeing wild conspiracies where there are none, because of some sad misunderstanding from the archbishop. But you will only succeed for so long. We will prevail and your dishonest tactics will be exposed!

Raphaël starts whispering in your ear.

Raphaël: Oh, you don't know? Mr. Lachance just so happens to represent the two American businessmen who were caught red-handed in Deus Vult the other day. Oh, and "Samuel". Stand-up guy, don't you think?

Louis: Alright, Mr. Lachance. We will respect your client's wishes. She's going to the Charlesbourg jail though. She should pass in front of a judge then. You can argue for bail, but I'm really doubtful the judge will grant it, considering your client's little attempt to escape outside the country.
Albert: Say whatever you want. We will have the last laugh.

Sophie then looks at you straight in the eyes.

Sophie: I really don't know what any of this is about. But you do have my sympathies, detective.

Indifferent and mocking to the end.

Repressed Homosexual
On that night, you invite Raphaël, Éric and Réjean to your new house in L'Ancienne-Lorette. Saint-Marc is acclimating well to it. And you do feel much safer with him around.

The pow-wow starts.

Réjean: So, much has happened. But what do we do now?
Louis: I don't know. Samuel doesn't know anything, he's probably some desperate street kid that was used. Luc's and Nick's deaths look obviously staged with all we know. So does Mgr. Rousseau's death. It's obvious that Sophie spied on my conversation with Mgr. L'heureux and plotted the rest. Somehow she's a plant. But she surely won't say a word, other than her wry platitudes.
Réjean: It seems somebody really dislike the progress we've made, and is intent on keeping some... inconvenient people quiet. So you think it's the OTS?
Louis: Either them or some of their accomplices. The man who ambushed me in the condo, for instance, he seems middle-aged, and from a rough background. I doubt he's OTS. He sounded like a biker. But who ordered the hit, I have no idea. Something really bothers me about Mgr. Rousseau's death. The probable fact that he was killed, of course. But why would someone kill a frail old man living peacefully in a long term care home?
Raphaël: Now that you mention it, I hadn't really thought about it this way. That does look strange. Why would he be so threatening?
Réjean: Is it because he could know something important or incriminating to our enemies?
Louis: Mgr. L'heureux told me that he was just about the only person left who personally knew Chanoine Dubreuil when he was in the Archdiocese, and eventually ended up creating his own group and leading people out of it. On the face of it, there's nothing that makes it look that important... the only thing that makes sense is that there's something really important about Deus Vult that we've missed. A gamechanger of some sort that we need to find or become aware of. And our enemies are intent on covering it up.
Réjean: Oh, don't tell me about this Louis. What a disturbing story. You're reading the news? They dug up in the area indicated to you by that disturbed Quasimodo wannabe, and they have found human bones. Most of whicjh appear to be very old and are partly decomposed. We don't know who they belong to. It's tricky to find relatives for anyone who could be there 50 years ago. We've found the place where he lived, which apparently used to be the residence of Dubreuil on the commune, but we've found nothing. It's long been swept clean.
Louis: There is something else I did find. The theological book, written by Chanoine Dubreuil. It was stuck in a bench. I find it suspicious that no other trace of what these people believed, or almost any other item remained. I guess that somebody really didn't want to leave any written trace of the group.
Réjean: Oh, so it would be a good idea to analyze the content of the book, I guess? I'll call Laval University. The theological faculty will probably be willing to have one of their teachers look at it, to analyze its contents.
Louis: I think I have a better man for this work. If someone in the province knows everything there is to know about cryptic, mysterious cults, it's Mathieu Lehoux. We've already met the living legend earlier. I'll send it to him. If he's able to trace parallels to something else he's already heard about, he'll let me know. Although, that might not be a serious lead. So right now we still need to figure out what to do.
Éric: Louis, what about the note you found in the condo? It mentionned a man named Daniel Lavallée. Surely it's our next lead!
Raphaël: Actually, I followed up on this. I'm pretty sure I found out who this is. There's a colonel Daniel Lavallée in Valcartier.
Louis: In the army base?
Raphaël: Precisely. He's the only person of any significance in town with this name that I've found. A highly decorated individual. But of course, I don't know how we could approach him. If we do, he's gong to clam up immediately, and destroy evidence. And also probably warn his bosses, whoever they are, to what we are up to.
Réjean: Is there any angle to approach him with?
Raphaël: Actually... there might be a way. According to what I've found out, the man is divorced, and lives with his 19 years-old son, in a bungalow in Val-Bélair. Val-Bélair, as you all know, is a suburb north of L'Ancienne-Lorette that's very close to the Valcartier army base. As such, it's a prime location for people working in Valcartier. I didn't find out much about this son, but I did find something.
Louis: Go on. What is it?
Raphaël: He took a selfie of himself at some sort of "event" in Val-Bélair. But it's not really an event. It's a bunch of people with fast cars and other teenaged interlopers who gather in one place to party, drink and make noise. Many people in Val-Bélair are complaining about these activities, though. These people are reckless. But what it does...
Louis: It gives us a cover. Éric, if he's willing, could pass off as a teenager, and befriend his son by "accident". Eventually, he could be able to go to Daniel's house to play with his son. And if he plays his cards right... attempt to find evidence in the house about the OTS. It's the only shot I see. Éric, what do you say?
Éric: What do I say? Count me in! When do we start?
Raphaël: According to social media posts, the next one will be tomorrow.
Éric: So that's when we strike! How cool!

It seems you all figured out what to do next.

You are determined to find out the truth, and to avenge those who were shamelessly murdered.

It takes a long while before you fall asleep. Because you are haunted by a simple fact: the OTS had infiltrated the archdiocese. And it means that if they went to that lenght, they're probably in other institutions. Effectively, it means that there are very few people left that you can genuinely trust. But at least tonight, you gathered with people you can truly rely upon.

You have a long, restful sleep up to late in the morning.

You are awakened by Saint-Marc. You give him food and refill his bowl of water.

There's one thing you forgot. How is Agent Honeyman progressing in all this? Did he learn anything helpful? Or does he need any help?

You decide to call him to find out.

END OF CHAPTER 5

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
CHAPTER 6: THE MAN EVERYONE'S AFTER

Bruno: Louis... you delivered again. I would like to congratulate you for your incredible courage and heroics. We will speak more about it later. I'm on an important mission.
Louis: For sure, farewell Bruno. At this point, it seems inevitable for our paths to eventually cross.

Abbas: So what has just happened?
(You explain quickly)
Abbas: A creepy pervert who was kidnapping young boys, torturing them, and selling them to rich businessmen? And multiple assassination attempts? What is this? Nevertheless, that guy Louis sounds hella cool. He seems to be in some sort of unofficial competition with you as to who will leave the bigger mark.
Bruno. I guess so.
Abbas: Let's give him a run for his money, brother. Today, we save Ashley. Even if we have to inspect every nook and cranny of the most disgusting slums in Detroit.
Bruno: Yes! Let's do this!
Abbas: I still can't believe this creepy stuff. Well... f***. What can you do, right? These people are not normal.
Bruno: Errr...

You think back of the sermons you heard while with the Vagrants. Homosexuality was severely criticized as being a sign of a fallen society and a depraved mind. But linking it directly to such terrible acts... you don't think you're ready to go that far.

Bruno: Is that necessary? Anyway, let's focus on Ashley. There, her school is right there.

Repressed Homosexual
Just like everything in this district that the people living in safe and comfortable suburbs of Detroit and the rest of America would prefer to never look at, this school looks sad. Very non-descript with brown bricks. It looks in serious needs of improvements. On the "playground", you don't really see anything but very badly maintained asphalt.

There are almost no cars in the parking lot, but there do are a few. The school looks empty, assuredly it has been closed due to what recently happened. However there do see some people inside.

You arrive at the front door to find it locked. A black guard with a stern look is standing on the other side. For sure, they're not taking any changes.

Unlocking and opening the door slightly, he says "State your business."

You say that you're working for the Detroit police and show them your credentials.

"Ok, welcome. Right this way. There are still some teachers and children inside."

Bruno: But why is that? Part of me expected to find this school deserted.
Guard: Well, not all children have a place to go to. Parents gotta pay the bills, after all. So we keep some of them inside, keeping watch over them, until they can go back home.
Abbas: I see, it makes perfect sense. Hopefully they're not too panicked.
Guard: Oh you see in this part of Detroit, crime is very common. That's the one positive thing in all this, although I don't really know if I can call it positive. These kids are already though.

The guard brings you next to a classroom, and asks you to wait outside. After a few minutes, he opens the door.

You find a black female school teacher looking at you, smiling. You also see about 40 or so children of various ages sitting in the classroom. They are all looking at you. Most of them appear intrigued. A few of the girls appeared scared. None of the boys do. You are sad when you realize this. What horrible things did these little boys already see? Are they already getting involved in criminal activity at such young ages? Such a terrible thing to consider. As a former criminal, you know that there are things that can ruin a child's life and that he should never be exposed to. Unfortunately though, life is cruel and cares nothing for such noble principles.

The teacher shakes both of your hands.

Teacher: Can you please present to the class?
Abbas: I'm Abbas. I'm normally a lawyer, but through circumstances, involved in the Ashley Graham case.
Bruno: I'm Bruno, from the Canadian authorities. We bought worked here on another case, that was tangentially related to this one. After successfully completing our work, we were deputized by the Detroit Police for this special occasion. We aim to find Ashley and save her life before it is too late.
Teacher: Wow, that's interesting. Now class, I know these are stressful times. But I would ask anyone who has any information to give these agents to do so now.

The children look at each other, each wondering if anyone has seen anything of Ashley. Then, a little girl raises her hand.

Bruno: Your name?
Lisa: I'm Lisa, sir.
Bruno: And you have something that can help us?
Lisa: Ashley is in my class. Today she didn't enter the class, but I'm sure that I saw her playing on the playground!
Bruno: Can any of you other children corroborate this information?

The chldren again look at each other. Nobody replies. They seem genuinely puzzled.

Abbas: Ok well, that's helpful. I would like to thank you all very much.

Then you see a little boy raise his hand.

Bruno: Your name please?
Carl: I'm Carl!
Bruno: And what do you have to ask us?
Carl: So, what it is that you did here? What kind of case did you work on?

You see all the other children stare at you attentively. It seems to have been the question that was really on their minds.

Bruno: Haha. I really don't like to boast.
Abbas: Let's just say that our efforts and intelligence helped lead to the... dismantling of a certain criminal gang in Detroit.
Carl: Wow that sounds cool! I hope I can be like you guys one day!
Bruno: We're nothing special. We only have our dedication and our hearts set at the right place. These are the two values I would hold onto if I wanted to do this type of work.
Carl: Yeah, promise!

You see the guard coming back in. He says another employee would like to talk to you two.

The class is livelier now. Some of the children tell you to come back. You leave the class. The teacher follows you.

Bruno: Sorry, it kind of got derailed.
Teacher: I really don't mind. These children have to deal with such depressing things. And nobody cares about this school, as you probably gathered. You gave them a bit of courage.

You thank the Teacher for her time, tell her to keep taking good care of the children until the situation at school is normal, and follow the guard.

He leads you to a man who says he was monitoring the school ground.

Bruno: Did you see Ashley that morning? (You show her a picture)
Man: No, I didn't see her. Although, sometimes it's hard to tell them apart.
Abbas: So what do you have to tell us?
Man: Well, it might be nothing, but I thought I'd tell you just in case. At some point when the first children started coming in, I heard a car that appeared to be speeding away. It caught my attention so I tried to look, but at this point it was hard to see. As far as I can tell, a black car was speeding away. Although we really can't tell if it was Ashley's kidnapper, or just someone late for work.

The man then apologizes for not being able to say more. The guard then accompanies you to the entrance.

You leave the school grounds.

Abbas: Well, that wasn't much.
Bruno: Yeah, I don't know if we can read much into Lisa's testimony. She said she saw her playing for a long time. But who says she remembers the right day?
Abbas: I hadn't thought of that. So I guess that leaves open the possibility of the black car belonging to a person who would have kidnapped Ashley.

You walk around the school and knock on a few doors, asking people if they have seen anything about this black car speeding away this morning. Unfortunately, you get very few answers. Those who do open the door look at you very suspiciously, and as soon as they realize you work for law enforcement, they become cold and find an excuse to close the door.

Bruno: People here are leery of law enforcement, to say the least.
Abbas: Well, kind of anticlimactic, don't you think? So what do we do now?

The only other thing on your mind is to go talk to Lauren. Apart from that you really don't have much of anything to work with. This is bad. You need more than that to save Ashley. Much more. She might be a very short time away from a very cruel death.

Repressed Homosexual
It is now later in the afternoon.

You are in a race against time, one that you might well already have lost.

You go back to the ruined apartment that Lauren lives in.

You go up to her room, and knock.

You hear crying on the other side of the door. Lauren opens it.

Lauren: Oh, it's you!
Bruno: Mrs. Graham, we're working for the Detroit police. We're on Ashley's trail.
Lauren: She... she's dead isn't it? What hope do we have of even finding her alive.
Abbas: Mrs. Graham, you can't give up hope yet. We need to give it our all.
Lauren: Yes, yes, I suppose... I... I made an ass out of myself the other day. I was completely drunk and made a pass at you. In front of my little girl. I... I've invited men back... to... because I felt... oh, how I wish I would have been a better mother for Ashley! I'd do anything to have another chance!
Bruno: You will, Mrs. Graham. Now, is there anything you could tell us about Ashley? Do you know anyone who might want to abduct her?
Lauren: N... no, I don't. I just don't see it. Probably some random sicko.
Abbas : So you don't suspect your boyfriend Anthony at all?
Lauren: Certainly not! Anthony and I we've had our ups and downs, but he loves that little girl. He always drives her to school and to placed. I simply can't see him doing this!

You talk to Lauren a little more, but sadly she doesn't really know anything. You thank her and leave.

Abbas looks at you worried.

Abbas: So, this is it, isn't it? We're out of leads man!
Bruno: We have the black car speeding away that could be linked... but we don't have any details about it. There are probably like 100000 black cars in Detroit. It won't get us very far. I... I don't know that to tell you.

Just as the two of you fall into despair... just as you start considering reluctantly that everything might be lost...

Man: Psssst! Over here!

Repressed Homosexual
Someone has opened the door leading to the stairs. You recognize the cigarette-smoking black man from the other day. You have time to look at him more carefully. He has curly hair, and is obese.

Man: Hey you guys. Come here. We need to talk.
Abbas: And who do we have the pleasure to speak to?
Ransford : I'm Ransford. My friends call me Rans.

You head into the stairs area. Rans takes another puff of his cigarette.

Rans: So anyway... I don't trust the police one bit. We black folks, we often plain don't like them. But the other day, I heard what you did to Lauren, and talk to Ashley. So I trust you two, you're cool.

While I was smoking, I was thinking about this case. I was reading the news, and then I saw a picture of Anthony. Then I realized who he was! I see him from time to time, he comes to meet Lauren and Ashley. But... just last night, I saw him with another man. And this conversation looked very, very tense. The other man grabbed Anthony at some point, and seemed to threaten him.

Now I can't prove that this has anything to do with Ashley's disappearance, but... what if it did? My guess is that our friend Anthony knows more than he's letting on.

Abbas: That man... after the tense conversation... did you see him going away? Did he drive a car?
Rans: Yes. I didn't see the plate number... it seemed to be some sort of Chevy. A black Chevy.

You and Abbas look at each other. What if that man kidnapped Ashley this morning?

Time to pay another visit to Anthony. He better spill the beans this time!

Repressed Homosexual
Driving fast, you head towards Anthony's apartment. You try to make sense of the situation.

Bruno: So what do you think happened?
Abbas: I don't think Anthony kidnapped the girl. It's like, way to draw a target on his back. I think that the guy that this jolly fellow Rans talked about is the culprit.
Bruno: I'm thinking the same thing. I can think of only one reason for it. Anthony probably owed him a lot of money, and for some reason, that man needed the money fast. So he did this in order to pressurize him to pay him back fast.
Abbas: Yes, that's the only thing I can see.

At Anthony's apartment however, he is nowhere to be found.

Abbas: We need to get to him and fast?

A) Try to look at nearby banks.
B) Try to look at nearby jewelry stores.
C) Ask other tenants of the building if they know where Anthony went.

ERYFKRAD baud

Repressed Homosexual
Most other tenants have no clue. However, when asking an old lady

"I just heard Anthony mumbling to himself! I'm pretty sure he said "Ok, Janus Liquors... Janus Liquors... it's the most successful liquor store in the area. You've surely seen here, other than convenience stores, liquor stores and churches, there's absolutely no business of any kind that succeeds."

Thankfully you came around and asked! You and Abbas rush to the car. You are intent on helping Anthony making a terrible mistake.

You quickly arrive after five minutes. Just as you do, you find a man with a hoodie, who seemingly is walking around the door hesitantly.

You get off the car. You find a black man looking your way, who looks very nervous.

Bruno: Anthony! Please don't! Come in, we'll help you.
Anthony: Ok... thank you...

Anthony embarks in the car with you two.

Anthony: It's probably a good thing. Sorry for having lied to you. You stopped me from doing the irreparable. But... I was under terrible duress.
Abbas: So you owe these people a lot of money?
Anthony: Yes, I've relapsed and became addicted to crack cocaine again. I've accumulated a huge "tab" or so to speak. Lately, the pusher has come to collect on it. Apparently, from what I heard, their leader was hit, so his followers are scramling to gather whatever money they can to leave town and lay low.
Bruno: So that explains it. Are you positive they have Ashley?
Anthony: They haven't explicitly told me they have Ashley... but I'm pretty sure they do. They were like "You can't find your girl? If you want to find her again... you know what to do."
Bruno: Dammit these bastards!
Abbas: I don't think they intend to let her go. They must have been really desperate to pull something crazy like this.
Anthony: I'm supposed to meet some guy just a little later to hand over the money.
Bruno: Are you ready to act as if you had the money? This will allow us to ambush him.
Abbas: And then I'll make sure he tells us everything. And I mean EVERYTHING about how we can get to her.
Anthony: I'm ashamed of myself. The ordeal that I put Lauren and Ashley through... If we ever get through this, I promise to do so much better.

With a little preparation, you later head to the agreed upon meeting.

You stand a little farther away from the house. Anthony goes it.

You approach and hear So you really got the money? I have to make sure. Let me count it.

You don't have much time.

A) Barge in with your guns.
B) Try to find an alternate entrance to sneak in.
C) Bust in through a window.

ERYFKRAD baud

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
C

Let's show some kung-fu moves!

(I finished reading the previous part just as you were posting this one)

Repressed Homosexual
C

Let's show some kung-fu moves!

(I finished reading the previous part just as you were posting this one)

I have a hard time updating it because it's difficult for me to have time with my laptop without my 4 years old daughter running around the house, and I keep daydreaming other parts.

Repressed Homosexual
You approach a window with Abbas. You look through it. Anthony is trying to keep the man distracted. He doesn't have the money to show him. You don't have much time before the man notices Anthony is wrong and things go wrong. Anthony notices you. He tries to get him staring at himself, and not towards the window.

Anthony: I hope you're not BSing me. That girl better be safe and sound and left unharmed. What a horrible idea.
Man: I thought it was crazy actually. But we need money. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We intend to flee this place ASAP.

While his back is turned away from the window, using a nearby crate, you put it below the window, which mercifully can be opened from outside. You silently jump on the other side. The man talks so loudly he doesn't notice anything.

You both approach him, and you kick him, holding him to the ground.

Man: What the f*** is this?
Abbas: You stupid t***, you helped kidnap a child! You're disgusting! You tell us where the girl is being hidden right now, or I'm going to hurt you real bad.
Bruno: I don't like violence, but you better do as my friend says. He's dangerous when he's pissed off.

The man looks around the room in confusion. He now has three men who are extremely pissed off staring at him, looking upset. He realizes he no longer has any chance.

Man: Ok... ok! I know it was a stupid idea to begin with. Figures it would get us in trouble. She's in a warehouse close to the Port of Detroit. (he tells you the address)

Bruno: You just made a very wise decision.

You leave the building, and call the chief of police. He quickly becomes elated.

Chief: Great job you guys! Fantastic, we might pull this off! Ok, your job is done there. I have a SWAT team on speed dial. For this type of thing, it needs to be handled by the best of the best. The team will head there, neutralize all these bastards, and save the girl.

You arrest the suspect, read him his rights, and bring him in your car. You start driving towards the police headquarters.

When suddenly... turning towards the suspect... you see something that surprises you. It's very subtle... but he appears to be grinning.

Why is he doing this?

Repressed Homosexual
Bruno: Hey, I have a feeling you haven't been straight with us. You better be now.
Abbas: What the F***?
Man: Hehehehehe.... well...

You grab him by the throat.

Bruno: Are you going to talk here or what?

Man: It's... it's... it's too late anyway. The gang that's stacked there had specific instructions. They were to leave at 6 PM no matter what. I knew there was probably an intervention team ready to bust them. That's why... I made sure they were sent far away.
Abbas: YOU STUPID F***! YOU'RE DEAD!

He stops the car. He goes out. He opens the door. He grabs the suspect. Throws him on the ground. He kicks him repeatedly.

Abbas: SPEAK NOW YOU F*****! WHERE THE F*** ARE THEY?

The arabic boy who grew up in the Bronx and had to be though to survive has reemerged and replaced the slick Manhattan lawyer.

Man: OK! OK! They're in this warehouse close to Fort Wayne! They're going to kill me when they know I've spoken!

He throws him back into the car and reembarks.

Abbas: Ok, what time is it now?
Anthony: We're 5:51 PM.
Bruno: Ok, we can probably barely make it, but you have to drive as fast as you can!

Immediately, Abbas starts driving as fast as possible, deftly dodging any cars on his way.

You call the chief:

Bruno: Boss, the guy betrayed us. (you tell him what happened)
Chief: Oh f***! No! No way! Ok, I'll...
Bruno: We're close enough, we think we can make it.
Chief: That's crazy! You don't know what these people are capable of!
Bruno: They're on the verge of escaping. If we don't do this now, we'll probably never see them again.
Chief: Whatever, I can't stop you. I'll send you a nearby patrol.

Repressed Homosexual
You arrive at the desolate warehouse, bordering the Detroit river.

The three of you get out with the unarmed suspect.

Bruno: That is a dangerous situation. How many people are in there?
Man: They'll be about six or seven. Armed to the teeth.
Abbas: That sounds really bad. What do we do?
Anthony: The only thing I see is ask him if he can throw them off. Go in, say that he has the money, and distract them so we can take them by surprise and compensate for their higher number.
Bruno: If we do this, we'll see if we can get you a lighter sentence or more protection.
Abbas: What? You're really going to trust this bastard? I really don't think it's a good idea. Well, your call, Bruno.

A) Let's have him bait them. We're all going to get shot otherwise.
B) It's too dangerous, he could betray us.

ERYFKRAD baud

Repressed Homosexual
Rolled randomly. Picked B.

Bruno: No way this guy does anything but stay cuffed in the car. I wouldn't trust him with a nickel!
Man: You're never going to get them! They're going to annihilate every last one of you!

The guy keeps protesting, but you leave him cuffed to the seat of the car.

The warehouse appears barren and desolate from the outside. However, that is only a facade, because there are two cars parked at the back.

Anthony: Ok so what's our strategy here?
Bruno: I'll try to go in and listen, observe the area a little first.

You find a locked side door. You easily pick the lock. You enter.

It doesn't take long before you hear people talking.

"Where's Marcus? Has he got caught?"
"What were you thinking, kidnapping a child? The police must be on us now! It's too much! We should get rid of her whenever possible!"

(Oh my God! It sounds like she's still alive and with them! You cannot hear her voice but strongly presume she is held with them. It sounds like they're extremely tense and on the verge of leaving.)

Your scour the place. There is a long hallway, and they seem to be in the main section, laying behind some doors.

You go back and explain the situation.

Bruno: Anthony, I'll try to make a diversion. This way hopefully we can get a few of them and catch them off-guard.

The three of you look at each other, armed and determined. This is it!

You enter the warehouse from the door on the side. You hear people now yelling at each other. Most people seem to be urging to leave immediately.

You go closer to the door. You see a window at the other end. You take a rock, and you throw it in the window, which shatters.

"WHAT THE F** IS THIS! THERE'S SOMEBODY HERE!"

While people are running towards the direction of the shattered window...

You bust the door from the hallway open.

In the next few seconds, the three of you look towards the left. You see four men running towards the window to check it out.

It happens very, very quickly. You shoot the four men 2-3 times each. They're caught off guard by your diversion, and have no chance to fire back. They collapse on the ground.

Then quickly, you scour the rest of the room. You see two men stunned by what has just happened, trying to take cover. Since their back is turned, you take the opportunity to shoot them both. They also collapse on the ground.

It went far better than expected! Then, you see someone emerging with his hands up in the air.

Man: Ok, I surrender! Please, don't shoot!
Abbas: WHERE THE F*** IS THE GIRL?

She's in this room over there!

You he points towards a door.

You run towards it, you open it.

It is dark and you only hear slight sobbing. Oh thank God, she's safe!

Bruno: Ashley, it is me, Bruno. It's all over now.
Ashley: Br... Bruno?

The terrified Ashley crawls out of the darkness and looks at you, choked up with emotion.

At the same time, Anthony busts in.

Anthony: Oh, baby!

Anthony hugs her.

Anthony: It's over now. I'm sorry baby. I've been a terrible example to you. I haven't treated your mother well either. I promise to be a good dad to you from now on.

All of you get out. Abbas who was keeping the last guy standing in check, lights up when he sees Ashley emerging safe and sound.

Abbas: Hello Ashley. Nobody will touch you anymore now.

As he is smiling and all of you are caught off in emotion... you don't notice one of the men who is crawling slowly... bloodied, stunted, barely conscious... he uses the last of his strenght to shoot at the nearest available target: Abbas.

Man: Die bastard!
Abbas: ARRRGH!

Abbas collapses on the ground. Seeing this, you shoot at the man, who collapses instantly.

At the same time, police barges in.

Bruno: Call an ambulance, quickly! We've got a man down!

Repressed Homosexual
After that, Abbas is rushed to the hospital. Most of the bullets that hit him hit his body armor, except one that hit him on the side. Fortunately, he is not seriously harmed and is set to eventually recover.

Upon going out, you instruct the police to take care of Marcus. However, the car is gone entirely, and no trace of him can be found. However, while you despise him, he is the least of your concerns right now.

You wait around Detroit for a few days. The family goes into hiding in a hotel, because the story makes national news, and everyone wants a piece of them.

You receive a phone call from Ed Snodgrass:

"I heard about what happened to this family. I've made some phone calls, I know people in Tallahassee. I believe that so long as they remain in such a harsh environment, especially with all the scrutiny there is around them, they will be at risk of relapsing and going back to their old habits again. So if they accept, I offer them to stay at a place I own them for a few months, rent-free. I also know people in a community center. They're ready to offer them to find jobs, a private tutor for Ashley, along with therapy, and drug addiction recovery for Anthony."

Bruno: Ed, that's extremely kind and generous of you. But... but...
Edward: Yes? Is there a problem?
Bruno: My heart aches, Ed. I've seen these neighborhoods. I've seen the dilapidated school Ashley goes to. I've seen the children living in places where crime is common, and where many of them aspire to be part of gangs from a very young age. It's great to save Ashley... but I feel terrible for all the other people that will be left in the worst neighborhoods on the continent.

Ed goes silent for a while. Then, after 20 seconds, he finally speaks.

Edward: I feel the same, Bruno. I'd want nothing more than to take all these children out of 7 Mile forever, along with their parents who fall prey to criminality and addictions to get by. I've seen it over and over again in Edmonton albeit on a much more limited scale. But sadly, I just can't help them.

All I can do is try to make the world better one step at a time with whatever means I have.

Do not get discouraged, Bruno. There is one little thing you can do for these people.

Bruno: What is it? I'll do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom