Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA: Honeyman's quest

Repressed Homosexual
"Children? We have very special visitors today. I will instruct them to come in. But before I do it, you must all promise me not to tell anyone else about them. Do you promise me?"

After all the children promise, the two awaited guests enter: agent Bruno Honeyman from Canada, and Ashley Graham!

All the children step out of their seats.

"Ashley! Thankfully you're safe!"
"Did they hurt you?"

Ashley: I was really scared, and held by very mean people. I worried that they would decide to get rid of me and that I would never see my parents again. But Bruno and his friends rescued me.

Bruno: Children, this was a very gruesome task. My friend Abbas from the other day was shot, he's in the hospital. Most of Ashley's kidnappers died in the crossfire. All because they were desperate to somehow extort money.

However tempting it might be, I urge you not to follow the path of criminality. It's only a matter of time before you pay a very heavy price for it.

Do whatever you can to lead honest lives. Study hard, work hard, and do not get discouraged. I used to be a criminal myself. But I never gave up.

Repressed Homosexual
Meanwhile in Quebec City...

"Cmdr Bourque? I am detective Steve Larose. It's about the two young men that were recovered from the former Deus Vult commune."
Réjean: Oh great! So they have recovered and are doing better now, I think? Have they started talking?
Steve: Yes they are doing much better. They are also both following therapy, they are both seen by a psychiatrist at CHUL. However, I have some very bad news. They... they are refusing to speak to the police now.
Réjean: Oh really? But I was told they seemed eager to help? How come?
Steve: Well the psychiatrist is bound to respect their confidentiality. Sure, we might consider that if he doesn't speak it *might* endanger someone's safety, but we're really speaking in hypotheticals here. We couldn't actually argue that in front of a judge.

However, I think I know why they clammed up.
Réjean : Why is that?
Steve: One of the officers guarding him said they have had a visitor a few days ago. An arrogant man in a suit called Lachance.
Réjean : Not him again? Well, that explains it. It's the same man who is representing the American businessmen, along with other people tied to the case. It seems pretty obvious that through him, someone paid both of them a pretty penny to keep quiet, and made them sign a nondisclosure agreement.
Steve: Exactly. I thought of something along those lines.
Réjean : Well, that complicates things. We really need to get to the bottom of this. I'm starting to suspect that some very powerful people are tied to this and are afraid that the truth will come out. I'll see to it that it will.

After hanging up, Réjean pondered to do. He knew that the operation with Louis and Éric, who would try to get information from that military guy in Val-Bélair, would soon be underway. But he started doubting that it would be enough. For now, he was at a loss on what to do. For sure, someone was following the efforts of the police, and sending not only Me Lachance as their figurative attack dog to prevent anyone from speaking, but also actual thugs when Lachance couldn't do anything. That lawyer is definitely fierce and one to take seriously. But who exactly is ordering him to do all those things? The American businessmen surely wouldn't do that for anyone and everyone even remotely tied to this. For sure, there is a conspiracy in need of being uncovered.

He decided that maybe the best idea was to pay a visit to his former mentor, Jacques Blanchette. A man who is now long since retired, but used to be chief of police before, and showed him everything he knew.

Well it can't hurt, can it? Let's see what he would do.

Repressed Homosexual
Meanwhile in Detroit, the time comes for Ashley and her parents to head to Florida. The story of the kidnapping is still heavily discussed in the news. As such, Detroit police thinks it would be wise for them to be accompanied. Due to your rapport with them, you are selected. You drive them to the Wayne County airport. This time, no shooting will be involved. Only insistant onlookers might.

You head along with them to the admission kiosks, where they receive their tickets. Once they have them and hand over their luggage, you hear a female voice.

"Oh, there you are! Thank God!"

You initially think someone recognized them. You prepare yourself to protect the family. After a split second, you think to yourself that this voice is familiar to you. But you're still confused.

Then you turn and you see a woman walking quickly towards you. This time, there is no more confusion. You very well recognize the woman who said this.

Bruno: Mylene? What are you doing here?
Mylene: I couldn't stand it anymore, Bruno! I couldn't stand doing nothing but study in Ottawa, while you're risking your life every day! Max told me you took part in a shooting! I couldn't take it, so on a whim, I hopped in a plane to Detroit to try to find you. Just what am I supposed to do in all this?
Bruno: Oh Mylene, it's my fault. I've been too taken in by my duties. I neglected you.

After you two embrace, you turn to see the family staring at you two.

Lauren: Your husband is a hero, Mrs. Mylene. We all owe him a debt that we can never repay him.
Bruno: Lauren... you all owe me nothing, except to live the best lives you can. That much you owe not to me, but to yourselves. I owe you can start over again in Florida and enjoy the sunshine.
Ashley: Thank you so much Bruno. I hope we can see each other again. I'll try to progress so I can excel at school and have a good career later.
Anthony: And I now know my goal: I have two precious women I must become worthy of, and protect with everything I have.

At this point, you part ways.

You go back to your hotel room, where you enjoy some tender moments with your wife.

Bruno: Mylene, Abbas is still in the hospital. We should pay him a visit.

Repressed Homosexual
Heading to the hospital and to Abbas' room, you hear a conversation from inside the room. There already seems to be a visitor there. You knock, and hear Abbas' voice telling you that you can enter.

In the room, you see another middle-eastern looking man.

Khalid: Greetings, I'm Khalil from the Disciple's Mosque. I heard about what happened, so I wanted to visit Abbas. I'm sorry for what Ibrahim put you all through. I was shocked to realize the extent of his horrible crimes. Some people in the mosque were enticed into following him, believing his outlandish claims about pursuing a Jihad. Be assured that Allah will make him pay for his sordid crimes.

As I told Abbas, I know he is lapsed from his faith, but I wanted to tell him that I am praying for him, and if he wants guidance at any point, I am more than welcome to provide it to him. I am also extremely thankful to you my friend, and extend the same offering to you. May Allah bless you.

He says that is a very soft-spoken, benevolent tone. He seems genuinely shocked at what happens and trying to help. He greets Abbas, as well as you and your wife, and then leaves.

Bruno: So how are you holding up?
Abbas: Oh well, the body armor saved me. One bullet entered me, and it hurt like f*** for a while but it wasn't deep or anything, nor did it hit any crucial organs. They successfully removed it. And oh... you're Mylene, right?
Mylene: Greetings Abbas. I came to Detroit because I was too worried. Very pleased to meet you, and I'm grateful of you valiantly protecting my husband.
Abbas: *Chuckles*... I tend to get carried away easily. I wanted to avenge my brother. It is now done. I'm grateful for him too. What we lived together, we can never forget. And well, it sure changes from dealing with hypocrites in Manhattan. Sometimes these people I want to strangle... and this one time, I actually could!

Everyone laughs.

Abbas: Anyway, I'll need to come to Canada eventually. Or you come to New York, I'll show you both a good time. And if you never need me again, I'm there for you. I think I've taken a liking to it.

It is now time to go back. You held it up for too long. You have unfinished business in Thunder Bay.

You head to the airport with Mylene, who takes a flight back to Ottawa later this afternoon.

Mylene: I... I'll go with you! Let's not be parted anymore.
Bruno: Mylene... I can't put you through something so incredibly dangerous. I'm sorry but I have no other option. You need to go back to Ottawa and stay safe. All this stuff will be over one day, I promise.
Mylene: Still... I want to do something for you. I think of it constantly. I worry every minute of every day!
Bruno: Keep me in your prayers, Mylene, and I'll do the same for you. I'm sure you will find a way to help me eventually. I just don't want you any of these dangerous gangsters.
Mylene: Ok... I will.

It is now finally time to go back.

Repressed Homosexual
You arrive at the Thunder Bay airport at the end of the afternoon. You take your chances and have a taxi leave you at Mr. Day's restaurant.

You're in luck, he is still there. You enter and he quickly comes to greet you. Apparently he is very happy.

You become relieved. The more sordid details about Ibrahim's situation didn't filter out in the media. Michelle didn't want to speak to the media or have her traumatizing situation spread out, and Ibrahim is dead, so there was nobody left to press charges against. Furthermore, the book of accounts doesn't contain any references to Ibrahim himself. Essentially, Mr. Day doesn't have any apparent means to know that you had a hand in Michelle's situation or for exposting Ibrahim for who he truly was. However, it's not completely impossible for this information to leak to the criminal underworld, and for it to reach Mr. Day, thus blowing your cover. But maybe you're just worrying too much about it.

Day: Well done my friend. I received the book. We can pursue our business now. So you got it back from some f***s from Detroit? Wasn't too difficult or dangerous I hope?
Bruno: No, not that much. I just had to find the right people. I learned where it was stored from someone who spoke too much, then I stole it at night. I quickly left. It seems to have been at the right time, because there seems to have been some sort of infighting at that point.
Day: That's good. I'm really grateful for you. If you want, you can work for me from now on.
Bruno: That's very generous of you. Unfortunately, I have more of my father's business to pursue in the East.
Day: I really recognize him when I see you. You're a free spirit, just like he was. I admire that. I know I can't retain you by now. You've more than earned the key. And I'm in your debt.

Not knowing what else to do, he offers you a good meal. You then thank him, and leave.

You book a hotel room and a plane ticket for tomorrow. Your next destination appears to be Montreal, to get the second key from the Italian mob.

However, before you leave, you feel like you want to say goodbye to the people at the St. Francis house. How are the young people doing? And Father Mpambara?

It is about 9pm when you arrive there... however, when you arrive, you are shocked to discover that the place is cordonned off. What happened here?

Repressed Homosexual
A few officers from the Thunder Bay police are inspecting the site, while someone stands at the entrance.

Officer: I'm sorry sir but this place is closed. It's a crime scene. You should probably leave now.
Bruno: Did someone die?
Officer: Yes, one of the young native people that was staying here died. On the morning, he was found dead in his room. That's all I can share right now.

You show him your card.

Bruno: I'm working undercover on another case. I happen to pass there. These young people trust me. Maybe I can get more information from them than you guys can. I'm sure they really don't trust the police.
Officer: Oh wow. Maybe it can work. See what you can find out. I'll tell you about our story so far: it seems to have been the work of that priest, Father Mpambara. According to some of the youths, he was suspected of molesting the teen who was found dead, Matt. That boy was stabbed with an unidentified heavy object, seemingly in his sleep.

(You remember Matt from the singing class. In a sense you are relieved it wasn't Nick, the basketball player. Although it is still extremely sad... but Father Mpambara? Really??)

Bruno: How can this be? Such a kindly, mild-mannered man!
Officer: I agree. He doesn't seem to fit the part. But when you look at the evidence, it's a little different. When someone checked in on Matt this morning, his door was locked from the inside. The only ones who have a key to open it are staff. Including Father Mpambara. Plus, there are these rumors of him having preyed on Matt for a long time. Also, a student who claims he heard a smashing noise at night, followed 5 minutes later by coughing, which sounded distinctly like Father Mpambara's.
Bruno: Hmmmm... that looks suspicious, but also completely circumstancial. Still... I have a hard time believing he could have done this. Still... even though I really don't want to... I guess not all evil people are obvious.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Bruno: So where are they?
Officer: Since these youths have nowhere else to go right now, they are lodging at the hotel. If you still have a cover, it might be worth it to see what you can find out. Here's my phone number. Call me so we can talk about what we could do. These youths really don't trust us.

You decide to head to the hotel. You head to the reception desk, and ask where the youth people from St. Francis are. They give you a range.

You head to a nearby hall, and find the cafeteria. There, you see the mid-twenties young man from the choir! You decide to speak to him.

Youth: Hey, I recognize you. You were at the choir the other day! My name is Ralph by the way.
Bruno: Yeah, I went to the US for a while. So what's going on? Matt really got killed?
Ralph: I can't believe it. He was so kind and gentle. But... who knows what really went on behind closed doors? Altough... although

(He seems to have doubts)

Bruno: So you doubt the story?
Ralph: Well, I've noticed something. Joy looks really uncomfortable these days. She mostly just stays in her room, and the rare times she goes out, she keeps squarely to herself. Nick doesn't look really comfortable these days, but considering what he admitted to, and what happened to someone who was probably still a role model to him, it's not surprising.
Bruno: Do you know anything else?
Ralph: Well, I know that there's a band of natives that sometimes liked to harass people from St. Francis. Most of the times, we just told them to piss off and drove them away.
Bruno: Ok, thank you. Hopefully, the police finds the truth.
Ralph: I'm trying to stay neutral in all this. I don't want to belive that it's Father Mpambara. But if it is him, I don't want to blind myself to the truth either.

You go back to the reception desk and book a room for yourself. Then, you call the agent:

Agent: Hello, detective Frank Blair speaking?
Bruno: Honeyman here, I talked to a witness. Here's what I found out.

(You tell him everything).

Frank: Ok, that's interesting. You have to be careful, because if you are too insistent or start questioning too many people, the others might start to get suspicious and clam up.

A) I want to question Nick, he's behind the allegations.
B) I want to question Joy, she looks uncomfortable.
C) I want to try to find the band of native vandals.

ERYFKRAD baud

Repressed Homosexual
Because they both seem unwilling to talk, you decide not to talk to either Nick or Joy. Instead you want to attempt to find the band of vandals.

It doesn't take long for you to find a lead as to their whereabouts. Asking at one of the houses situated close to St Francis, you learn that these people tend to hang out on a basketball court early in the evening.

Looking up the location of the court, you find out it is in fact the same one that you previously played at weeks ago.

Heading there you find about 5 young native people, mostly hanging around and talking. One of them is practicing his dunks.

You walk up to the court. Immediately, the five youths stare at you. They seem amused.

"Hey dude what the f you're doing here?"

Bruno: You wouldn't happen to know anything about the murder at St Francis the other day... would you?

At this point, the boy who was talking to you, who appears to be acting as their leader, looks aggrieved.

Leader: We don't like St Francis too much. But, we didn't have anything to do with it. Wouldn't surprise me if that priest is a goof though. What's it to you anyway?
Bruno: Just curious. But that does warrant further scrutiny, wouldn't you say? Your feud with the St Francis boys is well known.

(One of the other boys start talking)

Youth: Hey guys, I remember him! Yes, he was playing basketball with St Francis the other day in this court. I was watching it happen. He's with them!

(Your cover has been blown!)

A) Intimidate the youth who just talked.
B) Blow it off and keep talking to the leader.

ERYFKRAD baud

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom