Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA - The Miniature World

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not keen on the hippogriffs. Not sure how to respond, but thinking we can go unnoticed on a hill, from something from above seems... optimistic.
Leaning towards either B or C
I'm thinking C for now, but might be swayed.

As for the bridge, of course we should burn it. :obviously:
I guess that's a B with a twist.

And Charlotte should link up with Hikari.
B

I think our own troops should go towards the ford. Except for Lady Kay, who I think we ought to send help Hikari with burning the bridge, and picking off enemies from afar.
I'll support that

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Given the map is roughly symmetrical, I think it's safe to say there is a ford near where our personal forces are located, but crossing it in the face of crossbowman backing plate armored soldiers seems dumb. Leaving it unguarded for them to cross and hit our rear is dumb too.
The enemy is fielding some interesting troops, and unless they are very costly units, we might not be seeing their full force.

If neither side captures the flag, the win goes to the side that inflicted greater casualties?

Belle's light cav: D - head towards the forest, but TRY to be spotted. If we can get the flyers to follow them to Hikari's archers... turkey shoot. Heavy cav to do a flanking maneuver / support as needed
Hikari - A Wait and watch. Back up Charlotte as needed.
Charlotte - C proceed and hold our end of the bridge. Retreat towards the hills we're station on traveling between the river and forest if engaged. Draw the enemy into the triangle asxetos noted and we have archers on 2 sides.
As for us: Scout and hold the likely ford. Send some (5) Regulars to bring the flag to us. Make the hill our castle. Have Lady Kay start sniping crossbowmen and see how they react. Should be doable given her performance in the last battle. Make the enemy come at our high ground and pass our forest ambush to do so.

tsuke

Educated
Ok so if im counting correctly this is what i have so far

Belle 2 votes retreat
2 votes stand ground

Charlotte 3 votes link with Hikari
1 vote advance alone

Hikari 2 votes engage with archers and burn bridge
2 votes stay put

Eggbert - 1 vote camp on hill bring flag
2 votes send kay back rest of troops look for ford
1 vote Leave half archers and 10 regularls on hill rest go to Hikaris position

Ill check back in later.

tsuke

Educated
ill put off tonights update till there are some tie breakers.

tsuke

Educated
Since there are no tie breakers I just decided evreything at random.

Belle - Stand Ground

Charlotte - Link with Hikari

Hikari - Burns Bridge

Eggbert - Sends kay back and rest of troops look for ford

tsuke

Educated
Plans within Plans

Belle prepares to withdraw her scouts when you gesture to her "Stop. Leave them there"

Belle looks at you as if you were crazy. "But they are scouts... they will get killed"

You look at Belle and smile "Trust me I have a plan"

Belle still looks at you as if you were an escaped mental patient but remembers the days you spent with them and the fact that you even trusted her to requisition special troops. The least she could do was give that trust back.

She smiles at you "Ok Eggy-baby. Show me what you got"

Hikari is pouting in the background.

The scouts hold their ground and prepare their spears. They loosen their swords just in case they need them. The flying band comes closer and you can see each pegasus has a rider. They seem to be equipped with the regular knightly accoutrements of lance, heavy armor, and shields. Their leader sees your band of scouts and gestures as his fellows form a wedge behind him.

The scout commander, Jeffrey, speaks "All right lads, here's where we earn our pay. For Sunburst and Glory!" The formation charges at the oncoming knights.

It goes about as well as expected. One side are lightly armored scouts with horses and the other heavily armored troops with beasts out of legend. The scouts are instantly smashed aside just from the weight of the flying horsemen. They do inflict some damage and hits on their assailants but not enough to bring down anyone. After all they did not even have numbers on their side.

The Pegasus Knight commander dismounts and makes his way towards your fallen soldier. He hears Jeffrey breathe his last few breathes as his lifeblood is seeping into the field. He draws his sword from its scabbard and proceeds to decapitate the poor fellow.

"Paysan Sale" He says in contempt as he spits upon the body.

Two of his compatriots take one of the surviving horses and mounts Jeffrey onto it and sends it back the way it came. They want everyone to know what happened here. The engagement being done they mount up and continue their mission.

Belle looks at you "Eggbert! The plan! do your plan!"

You look at Belle sheepishly "That was kinda it. They were supposed to act as bait and kill the flyers when they landed"

"BUT THEIR SCOUTS!" Belle is beginning to lose it.

"Well I couldnt have known they would have lost to those guys. Now we know better for next time"

Belle begins crying "Waaaaahhhh!!! Give me back my scouts! Eggbert!"

Hikari comes over to console Belle "It's ok Belle my partner always has a plan"

Belle looks at her " He does?"

Hikari nods. "He wants them overconfident so he let them kill all our scouts. Also he wants the flying troops tired! Its a very deep plan!"

Belle continues crying "Mommy! The retarded amnesiac took your daughters special gift! Waaah!"

And so we bid farewell to the scouts in the first day of battle.

Your own troops do claim the hill successfully and begin to search for a ford. All the while Lady Kay runs back to the forest to stand with the contingent of Hikari. Everything goes well. The hill gives your archers extra range and they are able to fend of the opposing crossbowmen. The opposing forces don't seem to want to move in any case and seem to be content letting you do whatever you want to do as long as you stay in your side of the river. Eventually your scouts do find a fordable location on the far side of the hill near the edge of the battlescape. If you do Ford the river here you would be in striking distance of the gate and the flag therein.

A. Ford the river. If you do select who goes first 1) knights exemplar 2) Rangers 3) Regulars
B. Stay put and see how things develop.

Charlotte advances to the edge of the forest just beyond the bridge and rests her troops. The two Iron soldiers and her regiments are in a virtual stare down while the portly fellow is sitting on some rocks reading what looks to be a book.

Hikari sends out her archers and volley after volley of flaming arrows hit the bridge. The golems walk back making sure that they are not damaged and watch as the bridge burns and falls into the river. The portly fellow stands up and shouts in your general direction.

"You motherfuckers. And who do you think is going to have to repair that?" He makes an obscene gesture and storms off towards the forest on their side.

When he is about halfway to the forest the automatons run after him. They end up beating him to the forest as you hear laughter from within.

You do get a better look at the obese fellow during the whole exchange. He does not seem to be a soldier. If anything he looks more like a craftsman. Around his waist are various things you can only assume are tools but are way to complex for you to use. Or maybe they could be weapons. Maybe you would know more if any of you were educated.

While this is happening Lady Kay makes it back to the forest as the day winds down.

The giant blazing number turns to 14 as both sides gear up for another day of fighting. The morning is calm but things heat up in the afternoon. The Phalanx of Hoplites begins moving towards the bridge led by the giant brute.

"My name is Ajax Skullbreaker! Only Cowards burn down bridges! Fight me in single combat if you dare!"

Lady Kay takes the opportunity to introduce herself. Killing a hoplite for every sentence Ajax utters. At the end of his tirade three hoplites lay dead. All with arrows to their heads. Eventually Ajax gestures them back out of range and proceeds forward alone.

"Bows are cowards weapons! Ajax is here! Send out your champion!"

Kay predictably tries to kill him but her arrows cannot penetrate the huge shield.

A. Do you send anyone to fight her? if so who?
B. Do nothing
C. Do something else?

While this is going on the Sisters of Power spot a formation on your side of the bridge. It seems that the enemy has taken this opportunity to ford the river. They spot 15 troops in heavy armor armed with maces and Shields. Their leader seems to be chanting something as they advance. They stop at the spot where the scouts and flyers clashed and stay there in formation. You don't see the pegasus knights anywhere but they could be hiding.

A. Full Charge!
B. Hold
C. Retreat (specify direction)

As always if you have specific instructions for troops not in flashpoints just say so.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Well, that was a waste. We lost our most mobile unit for nothing and seem to be outclassed just about everywhere.

B - stay put and wait for Belle's Cav if we think we're observed. A3 ford and hold a bridgehead if we think we're not observed.
C - Ignore him. Have Charlotte and Hikari fortify in the woods. Protect the flag.
C- Retreat and join our forces at the ford.

At this point I don't think we can win the contest at arms. I'm hoping Charlotte and Hikari can defend the flag in the forest, and that Belle's troops can retrieve the enemy flag and return it to us at the ford.

tsuke

Educated
Well, that was a waste. We lost our most mobile unit for nothing and seem to be outclassed just about everywhere.

B - stay put and wait for Belle's Cav if we think we're observed. A3 ford and hold a bridgehead if we think we're not observed.
C - Ignore him. Have Charlotte and Hikari fortify in the woods. Protect the flag.

At this point I don't think we can win the contest at arms. I'm hoping Charlotte and Hikari can defend the flag in the forest, and that Belle's troops can retrieve the enemy flag and return it to us at the ford.

I think we should just close this for lack of interest.

It was a pleasure playing with you all and thank you for letting me practice my writing again. I m just sorry that I could not make it more interesting.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, codex is a fickle place. I'm enjoying it and would like to see it continue.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

I like the most parts of this plan. And even if I'm not too sure about some of the parts, I got nothing better.

+1 for the above.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I like the most parts of this plan. And even if I'm not too sure about some of the parts, I got nothing better.

+1 for the above.
Same then.

tsuke

Educated
i guess i could try for an update or two. But lately ive been thinking it might be better to just do this in light novel form.

tsuke

Educated

Your not really outmatched. Codex just picks strange confrontations. I dont know what people expected when they put up scouts against knights. Its like parking a regiment of pistoliers in front of Knights of the realm and asking them to run you over.

tsuke

Educated
Berserk

Belle receives the order to withdraw and freezes. How can she withdraw? She asked for help from her family and even told them that they could watch her match on the TV. She lost the brand new miniatures her father sent her and for what? They got slaughtered like animals. Now withdraw? Its probably a trap but she had the finest unit in this whole battlefield and she was going to damn well use it. Belle quietly moves away from Eggbert.

The Abbess begins her speech "Sisters! Now is the time! You saw how our fellow soldiers were killed! Vengeance! Vengeance for the dead! To me! Let us show our "allies" how it is done"

The Sisters of power cantor of at a brisk pace ready to engage the new arrivals. They lower their lances and charge.

"For the Sisterhood!"

Maces were generally a counter to heavy amour but at the end of the day a mace is just a glorified club. It may be able to cave in the chest of someone wearing heavy plate mail but it did not have the reach to fight against charging knights. Still the heavy infantry knew it would only be temporary and the trap would be sprung soon. They just had to endure the punishment for a little while. The heavy infantry locked shields and their commander shouted "Percursors! Hold!"

What they did not expect is the sheer savagery of the Sisters of Battle. As the saying goes there is no fury like a woman scorned and scorned they were not just by their opponents but by their very own allies. Just in the initial charge half of the heavy infantry lie slain. Impaled by the wicked lances. Three more poor souls have their heads caved in, trampled by cruel hooves as they could not withstand the momentum of the horses. In just one instant two-thirds of them have perished. The rest break and run trying to escape.

The Abbess sees the pegasus knights charging at their flank. She expected something like this would happen. The infantry was probably just bait. "let them come sisters! Trust in our armor and faith! We will kill them as well."

The sisters make the best use of their time as three more heavy infantry are cut down. Bright wounds upon their back. A lucky pair make it to the ford while the sisters brace for impact. They knew it would be bad but there were only 5 of those strange beasts. Hopefully enough sisters would survive to drag the rest down.

The Pegasus Knights make impact and three of the sisters are knocked from their saddle. Never to rise again. It now becomes a matter of steel and bravery as the mounted troops engage in swordplay. Hours pass as stone ground into whetstone and both sides are exhausted. 4 more sisters lay in the ground unmoving, joined by 2 knights. The Abbess and her 2 remaining charges prepare for death when the enemy commander speaks.

"You are ferocious. Your honor is well satisfied. Let us call a truce for today" He knew he could probably kill all 3 of the women here but not without them killing more of his own and today's results have been disastrous enough. There would be more opportunities later when their blood was not up.

The Abbess nods and gallops away with her charges. They travel to the their campground behind the forest and rest ignoring all attempts at communication from allied forces.

(Authors note: You have lost control of Belle's forces. Due to your sight abilities you can still see where they are but they will act on their own from now on)

Hikari and Charlotte are holding in the center of the battlefield. The place is rather uneventful as the enemy show no desire of moving forward. The bridge is gone so even if they were able to reach the crossing under withering fire they would have nothing to do. Lady Kay makes use of the time scouting as best she can from the rivers edge. She reports that she can make out figures in the forest. From what she can see there seems to be troops armed with slings and stones hiding in the forest but she cannot make out how many.

Hikari uses her troops to replenish everyone's supplies in the forest and the stalemate continues.

Do you

A. Rebuild the bridge and claim it
B. Stay put
C. Have other plans

Your forces still hold the hill. With the amount of troops there the opposing army knows they would be outnumbered almost two to one if they attempted to cross. Both enemy regiments just sit tight and stare at you while your forces stare at them back.

Impatient and impetuous one of the Knights Exemplar makes his way to the rivers edge and begins to shout.

"My name is Alexis champion of Camelot! Does anyone dare to fight me in single combat?"

The opposing crossbowmen laugh "Wait right there were going to call Lord Ajax"

Alexis responds "Fuck your sister. Lets not involve the bosses. Surely one among you here is worthy?"

The infantry look at each other. Truthfully they were bored to tears. This would be the second day were they were idle. One of them shrugs and moves forward.

"My name is Knossos! Slayer of the Lion! I will meet your challenge"

Both warriors discuss terms and it was decided that Alexis should cross the ford and would have free reign to return if he won.

Both warriors circle each other. One armed in platemail and greatsword while the other armed in the more traditional roman Heavy armor Tower shield and short sword. The difference in the weight of arms they are carrying is apparent as Alexis all but dances around Knossos. Greatsword hitting the Tower Shield over and over again as its sides begin to chip. Knossos is so hard pressed to defend that he does not get an opportunity to launch his own offensive.

Eventually Alexis tires and stands still. "That's a lot of armor" he cries.

Knossos just grunts trying to catch his breath. The two warriors go at it again and Knossos is able to surprise Alexis in mid thrust stabbing thru his leg with his short sword. This elicits a groan of despair from your army but that quickly turns to cheers as Alexis traps the sword in his leg and runs Knossos through. He collapses. It looks like it will be a draw after all.

A lady in a hempen robe draws near to Alexis and with a wave of her fingers heals the worst of his wounds. He is then helped across by two crossbowmen as both sides cheer.

After things calm down and before another warrior can issue a challenge the crossbowmen withdraw along with their protecting infantry. Your army seems to be unopposed.

A. Do you stay put
B. Ford the river and stay put on the opposite side
C. Ford the river and make for the town gate where you still see the flag.
D. Something else

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Can our archers reach the other forest with their arrows, from our side of the river?
If so, set the shit on fire. Which I guess is a C for the first choice.

For the second one I'm content to stay put for now. A

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I've got a disconnect in how an option reads and what I logically expect to happen.

Yeah, set their forest on fire if possible. Send our rangers if their longbows will get the job done. C

You're the author and we're getting a free story. Do what ya gotta do.

A but recall Lady Kay to snipe crowbowman (assuming she isn't participating in arson) - the choices read like crossing the ford is easy peasy. I expect that if we move to cross the ford, the enemy heavy infantry will move to intercept and deny us the shore and then the crossbows hit our dudes in the river which would obviously be a bad idea.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
trying to set fire to the forest seems like a good idea.

If I read thing correctly, there's two fords, right? So maybe the enemy is moving most of their forces to the ford where we aren't, then rush toward the wood where our flag is

tsuke

Educated
trying to set fire to the forest seems like a good idea.

If I read thing correctly, there's two fords, right? So maybe the enemy is moving most of their forces to the ford where we aren't, then rush toward the wood where our flag is

I read someone say earlier that the map is symetrical so yeah theres 2 fords. Essentially its one ford near your hill, one bridge i the middle and one ford in the south near the other hill where belles troops did most of their fighting.

Its too far for Kay to burn the woods. She is not opposed to it but she is not even attempting to snipe the peltasts she saw inside because it would be a waste of ammo.

tsuke

Educated
If the general strategy is burn the forest you would have to repair the bridge move to the opposing bank and then fire your bows. Of course that is if the enemy does nothing to stop you.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
If forest is out of range, flop to
B - stay put and guard the flag
A - stay put but recall Lady Kay to snipe crosbowman

tsuke

Educated
This is the running butchers bill if it helps

Your army

7 sisters of power
5 scouts

Enemy army

1 infantry with tower shield
2 pegasus
3 hoplites
13 mace infantry

baud

Arcane
Patron
I'm wary of staying put, because we're ceding the initiative to the enemy, especially as they've got the mobility advantage with their pegasus (pegasi?).

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I don't like sitting either, but what do you suggest? We have the advantage of hill and forest where we are now and lose those if we go anywhere else. Now we should be able to shoot Pegasi out of the sky. The riders are armored but the beasts shouldn't be. At least not fully. A horses belly is a pretty big target for our archers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom