Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D Dark Alliance - co-op action brawler where you play Drizzt's party

I wish people would just start licensing Forgotten Realms, rather than D&D. I know they are synonymous, but I'm very tired of being sold D&D when it fundamentally is not. About the only deviation I can tolerate is RTwP (pre-5th Edition only).

Corporate Suit A - "Let's make a D&D game. It's very popular and in high demand among the plebeians."
Corporate Suit B - "Agreed, only, let's gut out the actual D&D mechanics, because nobody truly likes D&D."
Corporate Suit A - "Only this time we need to change even more, because the last one flopped."
Corporate Suit B - "Obviously we just didn't go far enough."

Sigh.

Exhuminator

Arcane
There are plenty of those games - from Dark Alliance to Demon Stone - and in all of them the D&D rules were nothing but unnecessary bloat, while the action gameplay tried to copy some other well established franchise.
The original Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was a very fun co-op action-RPG. That said, it certainly did not feel like a real D&D game. I agree that a gameplay system designed to be taken in turns, using statistics and die rolls, isn't ideal to translate into pure aught action.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess WotC liked what they're working on: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/wizards-of-the-coast-acquires-tuque-games-300946810.html

Wizards of the Coast Acquires Tuque Games
Wizards Expands Digital Game Capabilities with Purchase of Montreal-Based Studio

RENTON, Wash., Oct. 29, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS), today announced that it has acquired Tuque Games, a digital game development studio based in Montreal. Tuque is led by veterans of the game industry with experience working for leading publishers. Tuque will continue the development of games for Wizards of the Coast's best-known brands, beginning with Dungeons & Dragons.

"At Wizards, we're continuing our commitment to creating new ways to bring our fan favorite brands to life," said Chris Cocks, President, Wizards of the Coast. "Our unique approach of connecting fans around the tabletop as well as through our expanding portfolio of digital games is redefining what it means to be a games company."

Founded in 2012 by Jeff Hattem, Tuque Games released their first title, Livelock, to critical acclaim in 2016. Now with over 55 full-time employees, Tuque will focus on the development of digital games based on the popular Dungeons & Dragons franchise.

"Tuque is thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the Wizards of the Coast team," said Jeff Hattem, Founder, Tuque Games. "By working more closely together, we can accelerate our joint vision and bring to life new games, characters and worlds in Wizards of the Coast's roster of franchises."

"In Tuque, we believe we have found a unique partner that pairs the nimbleness of an indie studio with the veteran leadership and scale required to deliver complex AAA games for our largest franchises," said David Schwartz, VP of Digital Publishing, Wizards of the Coast. "We are excited to bring Jeff and the Tuque team to the Wizards of the Coast family, which we believe will allow us to continue to meet the needs of our fans while enabling us to scale our digital games development capabilities even faster."

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara are great games. Definitely in my top 10 Dungeons & Dragons adaptations.

Dedup

Augur
I would love to see a Dungeons and Dragon's Dogma game, replacing the pawns with party members. Unfortunately the chances of seeing such a thing from a relatively unknown indie studio are pretty much nil.
:negative:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Former Eidos Montreal designer who worked on Deus Ex Breach and Thief 4

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*wheeze*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

yeah it's gonna be shit

To be fair looks like he was just a designer on that, not even a lead or senior.

(Well, it's not like I have any hope this will be good or inclined. High chance this will be yet another AAA action game with RPG elements that lots of other Monteral-based studios are generating these days.)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This game was funded by WotC even before the acquisition: https://jeuxvideo.rds.ca/rachat-de-tuque-game-nos-questions-a-jeff-hattem-directeur-du-studio/

Google Translate:

Wizards of the Coast buys Tuque Games: interview with Jeff Hatem

This week, the Quebec studio Tuque Games came under the thumb of Wizards of the Coast. With its first title launched in 2016, Livelock, the studio was quickly noticed and attacked his next game currently in development: Dungeons and Dragons. We contacted Jeff Hattem, director of the studio, to learn more about this takeover and the future of Tuque Games.

What will Wizards bring in this purchase and what will you bring them?

The passion for good games is present at both Wizards and Tuque. Tuque brings development expertise. Several members of the team have many years of experience working on some of the biggest games in the world. Whether at Ubisoft, Warner Bros., Eidos, EA or other. Tuque has managed to attract D & D and Magic the Gathering passionate developers over the years. It is a childhood dream for many to say that now we are part of Wizards of the Coast. As for Wizards, they know their players very well. D & D is a brand that celebrates 45 years of history this year! D & D is the first role play. There are video game design basics that we take for granted. Concepts like raising a character's level, developing skills, etc.

Regarding your games, you are recruiting for Dungeons and Dragons, but will there be additional recruitments, and if so, does that mean more games?

We continue to grow and still have several positions available within the team. You can visit our website to find out more ( www.tuquegames.com ). Wizards of the Coast has bought Tuque to solidify our first D & D game, but it's important for everyone that the acquisition does not stop there. We want to build on solid foundations with our first game and then use that experience to continue to be successful.

IMG_20191101_124854.jpg

What are the reasons that pushed Wizards to take an interest in Tuque Games?

Following the launch of Livelock, I embarked on a mission to convince Wizards to grant us the license of D & D. For more than a year, we developed a prototype demonstrating our ability to make a good game. After a long process of seduction, Wizards finally decided not only to work with us, but even to help finance the game. edit it directly. It was by working directly with them on our current game that Wizards saw that we were able to create a very good game and decided to go even further with us by discussing an acquisition.

Finally, is this acquisition synonymous with even more resources?

I would not say it means more, because on a daily basis it does not change much for Tuque. What this means is that now we are part of the same family and our goals are the same. We have a long-term vision to please and even exceed the expectations of the players. We aim to build one of the best video game studios in the world and now we have the ability to do it.

IMG_20191101_125116.jpg

Deleted Member 16721

Sounds fun to me. Will be nice to get an action game for a change, rather than the standard RTwP or TB games we get. I look forward to smashing some kobolds and stuff, hoping the RPG elements are solid too. :)

Deleted Member 16721

I'll like to see beholders.

Me too. I'd like to see enchanted unique items and handcrafted bosses too. And at least some stat manipulation when leveling up. Being it's AAA it could be anything.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"a sneak peak of their work in the months to come": https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ccoc...tuque-games-activity-6594955520199786496-adPk

We’re thrilled to be welcoming Montreal developer, Tuque Games, into the Wizards family. Tuque joins our other digital development teams in Seattle and Austin giving us access to a great team and deep talent pool in Montreal as we expand our digital game portfolio for Magic and D&D. So excited to share a sneak peak of their work in the months to come!

DoritoPope's TGA or something?

Funny to think that a studio much smaller than Larian Studios is making a co-op action RPG and BG3 might not be an action RPG.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Inb4 "Tuque game gets gameplay trailer but not BG3" hate :argh:
So it's going to be some orc genocide coop game?

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
What kind of game company with right mind reveal only non-gameplay CG trailer these days?

Oh.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Follows R.A Salvatore's The Crystal Shard, set in Icewind Dale

https://venturebeat.com/2019/12/12/...rizzt-dourden-and-the-companions-of-the-hall/

Dark Alliance is a new D&D action-RPG starring Drizzt Do’Urden and the Companions of the Hall

The adventures of the rogue drow Drizzt Do’Urden started in 1988, 31 years old. The dark elf has gone on to become one of the most beloved Dungeons & Dragons characters, featured in more than 30 novels, but he and the iconic Companions of the Hall have never had starred in a video game of their own.

Until now. At The Game Awards tonight, Tuque Games is announcing its first project since D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast acquired the studio this fall. It’s Dark Alliance, a “spiritual successor” to the PlayStation 2-era Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance games. It’s a four-player co-op action-RPG for PC and consoles coming in fall 2020, and it stars Drizzt, Bruenor Battlehammer, Catti-brie, and Wulfgar — the Companions of the Hall. It takes place after the events of R.A Salvatore’s The Crystal Shard (the characters’ debut), and Icewind Dale is its setting. Tuque sets out to capture the incredible action from Salvatore’s novels, which sees Drizzt and the Companions dispatch legions of foes with both brutal efficiency and pinpoint precision — all with the spirit and trust of longtime friends who trust one another with their lives.

Dark Alliance joins Baldur’s Gate III as triple-A game projects that Wizards of the Coast has announced this year. Dark Alliance also fills a space we haven’t seen in years on console and PC — couch-co-op action-RPGs with a splitscreen. It also fills a gaping hole in D&D‘s game catalog. It hasn’t had a proper action-RPG since the broken Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale in 2011. It also offers online co-op play. With D&D more popular now than it’s ever been, putting out well-crafted games is a good way for Wizards of the Coast to not just capitalize on what it’s built but also sustain and bring that momentum into other markets — and expand its audience, both for video games and pen-and-paper products.

“I feel like there’s a great need for games that offer that local co-op aspect, that couch co-op,” Tuque Games founder and head Jeff Hattem said in a video call with GamesBeat last week. “That was one of the things that was really cool about the original Dark Alliance games. They introduced a lot of people to Dungeons & Dragons. The co-op aspect was part of the reason why those games were successful.”

Drizzt has appeared in games such as Menzoberranzan (1994, his first video game appearance), the Baldur’s Gate RPGs, 2004’s Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone, and the D&D MMORPG Neverwinter. But this icon of the Realms has never had a game of his own.

“He needs to [have his own video game], right,” Hattem said. “That’s why I wanted to make this game. I’m ecstatic to have the opportunity to do this for the first time.”

Hattem said he started talking with Wizards of the Coast about making this game in 2013. “It’s always been about Drizzt. I like to make high-action, visceral games where I feel the intensity. For me, those two things just work together so well. I would’ve been open to doing other stuff, but it wouldn’t have been my first choice, that’s for sure.”

Tuque’s lone game is Lifelock, an action-RPG it made for Perfect World in 2016. Hattem has worked at Behavior Interactive and Ubisoft, where he worked on Assassin’s Creed over his 20-year career.

Hattem said Tuque had talked early on with Salvatore about the project, saying that the author was “happy to see Drizzt and his other characters come to life.”

Draw your blades
In the PlayStation 2 days, two of the best co-op action-RPGs on the console were the Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance games. Hattem says that Dark Alliance is a spiritual successor to those games, though it changes the story and setting.

You play as either Drizzt, Bruenor, Catti-brie, or Wulfgar. Each has iconic weapons in Salvatore’s novels:

• Drizzt wields the scimitars Icingdeath and Twinkle
  • Bruenor’s notched axe
  • Catti-brie’s magic bow Taulmaril
  • Wulfgar’s mighty warhammer that Bruenor crafted for him, Aegis-fang
“The way that Salvatore reveals those weapons in the books are some of the best bits of those books, at least for me: when Bruenor’s crafting Aegis-Fang, when Drizzt acquires Icingdeath and Twinkle as well later on,” Hattem said. “We’re definitely going to showcase them.”

Dark Alliance has the characters using weapon types, not just these iconic arms: Bruenor has axes, Wulfgar wields warhammers, and so on.

“We thought it was important to give them an identity based on the weapon they wield. Especially in the books, I know Drizzt is a weapons master and he can wield many weapons, but through the course of a lot of R.A. Salvatore’s books, he’s wielding scimitars, Catti-brie’s got her bow, and Wulfgar has his warhammer. We added a lot of depth in the way you wield those weapons, as opposed to going with having many different weapon types without much depth.”

“Each of the [characters] plays in his or her own way,” Hattem said. “Drizzt is wielding scimitars. Wulfgar’s wielding a warhammer. It’s not only Aegie-fang or Icingdeath. There are other weapons with different properties. We’re letting [players] explore the playspace of those characters so they can [tinker with] their builds in their own way. The way I build Drizzt may be different than the way you build him. Depending on which weapons you equip and what skills you unlock, and how you decide to progress the combo system, those are all ways you can tailor the experience to your playstyle.”

The Companions have other powerful items and abilities as well. Drizzt carries a Figurine of Wondrous Power that summons his loyal panther friend, Guenhwyvar. They’re an iconic duo, and when he was on his own surviving in the Underdark before arriving in Icewind Dale, the panther was about the only touchstone Drizzt had to who he was, to his soul. Guenhwyvar isn’t just a magic item to him; she’s a trusted friend.

“Guenhwyvar is a very interesting aspect of Drizzt. He usually summons her from a figurine in times of need, and I think we’re going to approach it in that way for Drizzt,” he said. “But she’s not going to be a character.”

Getting into character

Readers love Drizzt not just for his bravely or his willingness to risk his life and soul for his friends. They enjoy his introspection. Every book has interludes in which Drizzt ponders his place in existence, the events around him, and the nature of good and evil. How he battles against The Hunter, the part of himself that focuses on pure survival with savage efficiency … especially in the years after he first arrives in Icewind Dale and discovers some people, such as his beloved friends, can look beyond his heritage. Will that introspection be something Tuque is looking to bring to Dark Alliance?

“His inner drama always tries to find a way out. He keeps that at bay. Those kinds of inner struggles are absolutely best captured in R.A.’s books,” Hattem said. “There are certain advantages and disadvantages of each medium, and there’s nothing like a book to be able to go inside the head of a character like that. So we wouldn’t be doing it justice if we tried to bring that experience to the game, because we’d just fall short.”

But this doesn’t mean that Tuque isn’t finding some way to bring out the characters’, well, character beyond their iconic weapons and fighting styles.

“There a lot of ways where the personality for Drizzt and the Companions is going to come through. If you play with your friends, and you have more than one character playing in the game, they are constantly talking to each other, expressing how they feel about the events that are going on in the game. And that’s a way for us to get insight into their personality.”

Which fits with the characters in the books. They often banter as they’re taking on challenges and fighting foes.

Why Icewind Dale
The Icewind Dale trilogy wraps up in 1356 Dale Reckoning (the calendar of the Forgotten Realms), but as of this falls’ Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus campaign, the official Realms timeline is in 1494 DR. Dark Alliance is an original story taking place after The Crystal Shard, as the group is still in Icewind Dale.

Icewind Dale is a cold, dangerous land. It’s in the far northern reaches of Faerûn. It’s a land of imposing mountains, blistering gales, and snow and glaciers. Many of the hardy folk who live there are clustered in Ten Towns, a group of small burgs. Barbarian tribes also roam the frozen landscape, and dwarves live under Kelvin’s Cairn, supplying Ten Towns with metal goods and weapons.

And it’s also the home to monsters. White dragons, goblinoids, frost giants, and ogres are just some of the malevolent threats in Icewind Dale. And plenty of beasts can ruin your day as well.

“We are definitely showcasing Drizzt and his friends, and the time frame takes place, quite a few years before the current events happening in the books right now, so we’re going back to a time some,” Tuque Games head and founder Jeff Hattem in a video interview. “A little bit after the events of The Crystal Shard.”

In that story, a wizard finds the evil artifact Crenshinibon, a crystal shard with incredible powers and malevolence. He uses it to try to conquer Icewind Dale, controlling the minds of goblinoids, giants, and more and recruiting the powerful balor demon Ertu as his general.

It’s curious why Tuque and Wizards picked Icewind Dale for the setting of this action-RPG. In Salvatore’s latest novel, Boundless, Drizzt found himself in a desperate flight against demons and abyssal constructs as his friends once again faced danger at the hands of those seeking power and the death of the renegade drow to appease the evil god Lloth.

Being set so far in the past, I wondered if this signified Wizards of the Coast’s newfound interest in telling stories set in any period of the Forgotten Realms, not just the current timeline.

“Dark Alliance is intended to appeal to existing D&D fans who already know and love Drizzt and the companions, but it’s also meant to attract new D&D fans through a different platform and style of gameplay. It made more sense to start earlier in the Legend of Drizzt as an entry point for the newer fans,” said Nathan Steward, the vice president for Dungeons & Dragons for Wizards of the Coast, over email. “For people who know and love R.A. Salvatore’s work, it gives a new adventure for the companions set in between his novels.

“As for whether or not Wizards is open to telling stories outside the current Realms timeline, we want to work with the most passionate developers on amazing D&D stories and if expanding that beyond the current TRPG makes sense for the fans, we will gladly craft that adventure.”

A couple of years ago, Stewart told me he would love to see a D&D open-world RPG. Considering that we’re now seeing Wizards forger ahead with Baldur’s Gate III and this action-RPG revisiting an older timeline, I wondered if this openness was a step in that direction.

“We have a long-term vision for Dungeons & Dragons and a big part of that future is digital gaming and entertainment. This game, the acquisition of Tuque and the game development, is a major investment in the future of D&D, and everything we are doing is with purpose and a passion for the brand,” he said. “So, while I can’t speak to this being a stepping stone or a test, I will say that Jeff and his team in Montreal are a very talented group of game developers and they are now part of the D&D and Wizards family. I don’t see us taking any steps backward, and this game is a huge step forward … just imagine what we can create together in the future.

“The reasons for me are quite straight-forward, The reasons for me are quite straightforward, because we wanted to make a really visceral, harsh game that had an environment, a setting, that is … some of most dangerous places in all of the Realms are in Icewind Dale, and for me, that was the setting that I really like.

“I grew up reading R.A. Salvatore’s books with Drizzt Do’Urden, and a lot of the earlier books took place around Icewind Dale, and it’s just very fertile for my imagination.”

Icewind Dale may also be a familiar setting to D&D video game players. The Icewind Dale isometric RPGs have a good reputation, and Beamdog’s Enhanced version of the first is now on just about every platform out there. It’s also an adventuring zone in the MMO Neverwinter.

Someone’s missing
So far, we’ve talked about all the Companions of the Hall except one — Regis, the halfling rogue.

“Regis is not there,” Hattem said. “He’s definitely part of the group, but he’s not the character that’s the most athletic or … how can I say — he’s not the guy who’s going to stick his neck out in the middle of things. He usually comes in at opportune times, so he’s not there right now.”

I asked if he would appear as a merchant nonplayer character, someone the Companions sell loot to.

“You know, that could be a good idea for him, where he can go,” Hattem said. “I’m not ready to commit to where he takes place in the game or not. Still, it’s still up for debate whether he’s going to be there.”

‘Putting action back in action-RPG’
A straight translation of the turn-based 5th Edition D&D system wouldn’t be practical for an action-RPG, so like the old Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance games, this affair will be an adaptation of the rules. “It’s our own system that we’ve built,” Hattem said, noting Tuque is trying to be faithful of D&D and Salvatore’s characters while at the same time noting “we need to be true to the experience that we’re making, which is a high-octane, dangerous, action game. I think our game stands in a unique place and hits all those checkmarks.”

“From a progression standpoint, we’re putting a lot of emphasis on the momentum of an action.” I brought up if progression would resemble either Diablo II or Diablo III, and Hattem responded that “those games put more emphasis on your stats and your progression in terms of the way you’re built out from a stat standpoint. We’re putting as much emphasis as on the moment-to-moment action. We’re asking players to pay attention to the action aspects of the game. I’d say we’re putting action back in action-RPG.”

This answered confused me. I asked if you’d have abilities such as Wulfgar throwing his warhammer in a whirlwind-like attack; after all, he’s done this countless times in the novels. “That is exactly one of the abilities that Wulfgar has,” he said, noting that while it may be generic to say so, each character has their own set of abilities and role. “Wulfgar is a basher. He’s the guy that does a lot of crowd-control, smashes monsters. Drizzt is more dexterous, and it’s a higher skill cap to play Drizzt to the level in which he can be effective. But he is devastating, quick and nasty, pokey with this two scimitars.”

As you build your characters, you unlock new combat moves and can upgrade them. They also have what Hattem calls “kits” that are based around their skills. Their scope is more limited; they’re “special abilities that you use contextually do deal with challenges thrown at you.” And the final part of progression is in the choice of the weapons you wield.

The other way Tuque wants to bring out the action is by removing the top-downish isometric perspective and using a third-person presentation instead. “I want to make people be a part of Icewind Dale and really witness first-hand how harsh the world is, how bad-ass the monsters are, and it’s not an easy place to survive,” Hattem said.

Monstrous menagerie
Dark-Alliance.jpg

Above: Dark Alliance pits Drizzt Do’Urden and friends against the horrors of Icewind Dale.

Image Credit: Tuque Games
Since this takes place after The Crystal Shard, I was curious if Crenshinibon would factor into Dark Alliance, like it was still lingering around.

“I won’t get into that part today because that that relates more to the narrative aspects of the game. And it’s a really good, astute, precise question that I wouldn’t want to reveal at this point because I don’t want to spoil anything for people,” he said.

Likewise, since he’s still Drizzt’s mortal enemy at this point, I asked if Artemis Entreri would show up. “Same answer,” he said. Ditto for Errtu the Balor, one of Drizzt’s deadliest foes at this time in the drow’s history.

As for the monsters, Hattem wouldn’t get into specifics, saying that they’d have their own areas as they showcase them. “We’re treating the monsters as importantly as the companions. We get a glimpse at more than just combat, more than just them bashing heroes. We see them in a way as ‘How do goblins get their power from Maglubiyet [their god]? How do the gnolls get their power from Yeenoghu [a demon lord]? We’re going a bit more into the lore of these monsters. I think that’s interesting.”

He wouldn’t confirm if my favorite monster from the icy reaches of Faerûn, the remorhaz, would be in Dark Alliance (though with its powerful jaws, huge size, and scorching back, it feels like a fitting challenge for the heroes in this game).

Friends until the end
Drizzt Do’Urden and his allies have survived dragons, drow, demons, and vengeful gods through the years. And Tuque is going to showcase their fighting spirit in Dark Alliance. But the studio also wants to show how important the friendships, the bonds, between these brilliant warriors are.

“Drizzt wouldn’t have survived any of this if it weren’t for his friends and his allies. One of the main themes I got out of the books was that, no matter how awesome you are, if you can get together with other people who share the same bonds and value system, there’s nothing that can stop you.”

Not even Lloth.

deuxhero

Arcane
The trailer was prerendered and the animations still looked terrible. AAA Gaming!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom