Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FriendlyMerchant

Imagine if Kingmaker and Wrath, or any other D&D game with a good combat system came with a powerful module maker like NWN. I can't think of any better idea than developing one to go with a well performing game. In spite of NWN's boring clunky gameplay, it resulted in a bunch of modules to download and quite a bit of longevity for the game as you can download new modules when you get tired of the terrible OC.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Imagine if Kingmaker and Wrath, or any other D&D game with a good combat system came with a powerful module maker like NWN. I can't think of any better idea than developing one to go with a well performing game. In spite of NWN's boring clunky gameplay, it resulted in a bunch of modules to download and quite a bit of longevity for the game as you can download new modules when you get tired of the terrible OC.
But then they can't sell bad DLC.

nwn2 does, kotc2 does, solasta does, bg3 will
Divinity Original Sin had a bad module making kit, I played with it a bit and it either hides the power tools somewhere I didn't find, or its not on par.
You need either Warcraft III's World Editor, or Neverwinter Night's DM Tools to make good custom campaigns, not just a map editor with flags.

Old Hans

Arcane
I always loved messing with the NWN editor even though I also hated the engine cause the interior rooms were so big and you had like 5 props to work with

FriendlyMerchant

But then they can't sell bad DLC.
You don't know it's bad until someone buys it and reviews it. Trust me.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think most people would agree with you. Personally, having a functional editor would push me from "maybe buy later at sale" to "buy at full price."

Buuuuut that would be incline and we don't do that anymore.

Maybe 70% of the reason I bought Solasta was for the editor, but I haven't even gotten around to trying custom maps. :/

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
See the thing about NWN's editor was that it was super easy to get things going and you was super friendly to work with. Stuff like where D:OS was at launch wasn't friendly at all, in fact, it kind of pushed you out instead of bringing you in with how obscure every thing was.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
See the thing about NWN's editor was that it was super easy to get things going and you was super friendly to work with. Stuff like where D:OS was at launch wasn't friendly at all, in fact, it kind of pushed you out instead of bringing you in with how obscure every thing was.

It's funny how they made NWN2's editor intentionally harder to use... because NWN1 had so many amateurs releasing modules even shittier than the OC.
So the bright minds at Obsidian figured, if the editor is harder to use you need to spend more time learning it, improving your module making skills in the process.

What it really led to was a lower module output in the community because people understandably don't wanna bang their heads against an intentionally clunky editor.

Codex Year of the Donut
people who need an easy to use editor aren't going to make anything of value
"b-b-but that's not true!" you say
I merely have to point at the fact that Fallout/2, with no real editor whatsoever, has multiple fan modules worth playing. Probably more than NWN.

Yea, would be great if ToEE, Kingmaker, and PoE had easy to use campaign makers. The less captivating parts of those games were the stories/characters.

Unlike some here, I do think ease of use in a campaign creator is key. There are many creators with good thematic story telling ability and/or great tactical minds for encounters who can't be arsed with the autistic level of dedication needed to learn a difficult editor.

Codex Year of the Donut

It's funny how they made NWN2's editor intentionally harder to use... because NWN1 had so many amateurs releasing modules even shittier than the OC.
So the bright minds at Obsidian figured, if the editor is harder to use you need to spend more time learning it, improving your module making skills in the process.

What it really led to was a lower module output in the community because people understandably don't wanna bang their heads against an intentionally clunky editor.
nwn and nwn2 probably have about the same amount of good mods worth actually playing, nwn just has a lot more really, really bad mods
The Maimed God's Saga
Conan Chronicles
Misery Stone
Black Scourge of Candle Cove
Tears of Ilmarid
Path of Evil

etc

FriendlyMerchant

I merely have to point at the fact that Fallout/2, with no real editor whatsoever, has multiple fan modules worth playing. Probably more than NWN.
An editor should be fairly easy to use. That way the process of designing thing is streamlined and you can focus on actually designing things instead of trying to get the thing to work. It's part of being a good product.

Codex Year of the Donut
An editor should be fairly easy to use. That way the process of designing thing is streamlined and you can focus on actually designing things instead of trying to get the thing to work. It's part of being a good product.
An editor should be difficult to use so that it filters out the idiots, gatekeeping is good.

FriendlyMerchant

They can't sell DLCs if their games include editors. Simple as that.
Editors never stopped people from buying the official modules for NWN, DLC for Skyrim or Fallout 4, or Frozen Throne back when it came out. This just isn't correct.

FriendlyMerchant

An editor should be difficult to use so that it filters out the idiots, gatekeeping is good.
A screwdriver should just be solid steel bar. You should have to file down the end to get the right shape and size yourself. That way it filters out the idiots. Gatekeeping is good.

Codex Year of the Donut
A screwdriver should just be solid steel bar. You should have to file down the end to get the right shape and size yourself. That way it filters out the idiots. Gatekeeping is good.
Yes.

Gargaune

Magister
That wasn't the intent. The developers never sat down and thought "let's make our tools shittier to filter out the amateurs", rusty_shackleford never worked at Obsidian. A "difficult" toolset like Electron doesn't just set a high bar of entry, it also increases time and labour requirements for skilled users too. What you saw there was a small, unfiltered glimpse into Obsidian's software engineering standards at the time and why they were constantly releasing games held together with spit and duct tape.

The sad part is that they had some good ideas to increase fidelity and flexibility over Aurora, but they fucked up the interfaces beyond any excuse. Electron isn't just harder to learn, it stays more labour intensive even after you've learned its processes, and far more so than would be justified by its upgraded visual standards. Its concept of ergonomics is a runaway freight train filled with flaming dumpsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom