Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I never play with smaller dungeons on. The large dungeons are a true test of your navigational ability in video games and I think that's what makes them fun to me despite them being procedurally generated and made up of premade blocks, even though handcrafted level design and the art (make no mistake, it is an art, one that modern game developers often fail at and add yellow paint to everything offset their total lack of talent) of guiding the player naturally are usually some of the things I value most in a video game.
Couldn't agree with you more sir.
Colossal Dungeons that can take hours to fully navigate, filled with all manner of monsters and undead. That's true dungeon crawling.
After a while, you kinda start to notice patterns in certain dungeons, which can help in navigating them.
There is also the Recall spell that pretty much every player should have.

catfood

AGAIN
Yeah, there's no real reason to pick the DOS version.

The only thing you'll need to decide for a fresh, unmodded DF Unity install is whether or not you want to play with DF Unity's smaller dungeons feature enabled. Most people agree it improves the game, but it's a personal choice.
The large dungeons is the only reason i even liked the game lmao.
The problem with shorter dungeon crawls is that they mess up the progression of factions. You end up getting too much reputation at too low of a level, and all of a sudden you're being sent out to kill Ancient Liches by your Knightly Order at Level 6. Something twice as big as the current 'Smaller Dungeons' option would probably be ideal. Not completely labyrinthine like vanilla, but definitely not the brevity of Smaller Dungeons.
The game becomes piss easy after a few levels anyway so it doesn't matter that much especially if you use magic (items). The only way to make the game challenging is to either gimp yourself to oblivion in the character creation and abstaining from ever using any sort of magic at all, except maybe for cure potions.

RetardedChimp

Novice
Spawning quest items behind a secret door in a massive dungeon was one of my least favorite things in DF.

Some of these new mods for DFU are amazing, still don't think I will ever enjoy walking to locations rather than just fast travelling. I always thought boats were underutilized, I'm hoping there is some mod to address that.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Spawning quest items behind a secret door in a massive dungeon was one of my least favorite things in DF.
Even though I'm very familiar with Daggerfall's blocks and the placement of secret doors, I do tend to agree that having some of the quest spawns behind secret doors is dickish. It's not too bad if it's a quest monster you have to kill because you can hear them (the Acute Hearing trait helps for this) and try to find a way to their location, but when it's a quest item it's obviously silent so if you don't already know theres a secret door there (or you don't want to exploit a little by using the automap to find them for free) it is a bit annoying.

I highly recommend this mod, it alleviates the problems with hidden doors a lot (you can adjust the volume and pitch of the wind sound effect in the mod settings to make it easier/harder to find them, and it feels a lot less videogamey than relying on the automap): https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/211?tab=description

Lemming42

Arcane
Looks like there's been a big update for World of Daggerfall. New mountain geometry which looks kinda like Delta Force, and lots of little locations placed along the roadside. Playing now and found some cool campsites in the woods and a woodcutter's lodge with a pissed off looking dude stood there.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Looks like there's been a big update for World of Daggerfall. New mountain geometry which looks kinda like Delta Force, and lots of little locations placed along the roadside. Playing now and found some cool campsites in the woods and a woodcutter's lodge with a pissed off looking dude stood there.
You found them while travelling on the map on foot/on horseback?

Lemming42

Arcane
Yep, the new version seems to have put a lot more locations within view of roads and trails. I only really remember seeing shrines and occasional bandit camps close to roads before but now there's little huts, campsites, ruined forts, watchtowers, all kinds of stuff.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's pretty nice.
Original Daggerfall had almost no random encounters other than a monster or bandit here and there.
Assassins with poisoned arrows, those are pretty nasty.

Cologno

Educated
That's pretty nice.
Original Daggerfall had almost no random encounters other than a monster or bandit here and there.
That was normal in the OG game? Huh, could've sworn with stock install of DFU I was getting a lot more variation than that along with monsters and bandits. Some randoms were really cool too, like whole battles between some knights and orcs/goblins/whatever. Never starved for gear in the beginning.

RetardedChimp

Novice
That's pretty nice.
That was normal in the OG game? Huh, could've sworn with stock install of DFU I was getting a lot more variation than that along with monsters and bandits. Some randoms were really cool too, like whole battles between some knights and orcs/goblins/whatever. Never starved for gear in the beginning.
In OG I remember I used to always get werewolves attacking me if I slept/waited outside a dungeon entrance. Some thieves guild quests always seemed to have archers and other human enemies spawn and ambush you when you fast travel back to town to turn in quest.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's pretty nice.
In OG I remember I used to always get werewolves attacking me if I slept/waited outside a dungeon entrance. Some thieves guild quests always seemed to have archers and other human enemies spawn and ambush you when you fast travel back to town to turn in quest.
Some quests can also trigger these random encounters.

RetardedChimp

Novice
The new
Even though I'm very familiar with Daggerfall's blocks and the placement of secret doors, I do tend to agree that having some of the quest spawns behind secret doors is dickish. It's not too bad if it's a quest monster you have to kill because you can hear them (the Acute Hearing trait helps for this) and try to find a way to their location, but when it's a quest item it's obviously silent so if you don't already know theres a secret door there (or you don't want to exploit a little by using the automap to find them for free) it is a bit annoying.
For an open world game, even as a kid the whole concept of finding one mummy wrapping sitting on the floor behind a secret door in some massive labyrinth for the Mages guild struck me as a dumb excuse to force a dungeon dive. There are apothecaries in town and crypts nearby but they only accept the specific mummy wrapping from the dungeon. They should have had us recovering a unique magic amulet or something not able to be purchased next door.

Made me feel justified house-ruling a limit of 30 mins of actual dungeon exploring for a quest item until I just "]" teleport until I'm there. Usually in some random block miles from where I was looking.

BruceVC

Magister

I highly recommend this mod, it alleviates the problems with hidden doors a lot (you can adjust the volume and pitch of the wind sound effect in the mod settings to make it easier/harder to find them, and it feels a lot less videogamey than relying on the automap): https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/211?tab=description
Absolutely, I used this mod and it helps

And the Enchanted Compass mod makes a huge difference with navigating the vast world of DFU

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?t=4798

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom