Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut
Oblivion guessing what 'class' you wanted to be based on how you got through the intro was a pretty cool idea though.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Oblivion guessing what 'class' you wanted to be based on how you got through the intro was a pretty cool idea though.

There are few other things done for the tutorial dungeon, like how Glenroy says "maybe the Emperor is right about you." if you manage to kill one mythic dawn agent before his demise and how Baurus changes his line from recovering Renault's blade to comrades if you went out to grab Glenroy's as well.
Ultimately nothing significant in grand scheme of the game, I would say wasted effort.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Looks meh so far, I don't s-

le44EYF.jpeg

What is this :prosper:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Looks meh so far, I don't s-

le44EYF.jpeg

What is this :prosper:
It's the problem with Daggerfall Unity's character art that I pointed out in 2017:
Morgiah in TES II: Daggerfall
180px-DF-npc-Morgiah.jpg
20170411024056%21DF-npc-Morgiah_%28face%29.png

Morgiah with the Andyfall mod installed
DF-npc-Morgiah_%28Andyfall%29.png
DF-npc-Morgiah_%28face%29_%28Andyfall%29.png

Both of these are superior to the garish new version of Morgiah
tT0hUpj.png
It isn't simply a matter of de-pixelization, but rather that whoever is responsible for these faces lacks the talent of the original artists.

mck

Cipher
honestly given the choice between vanilla daggerfall and a slightly weird looking remaster with tons of QOL improvements, i'm picking the update every time

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You've got to appreciate the effort and work that went into that, but I think unless you totally re-do the models into 90s-ish 3-d to match the rest of the graphics (as I believe someone did with the skeletons), it's always going to look a bit weird to have the models as cardboard-cutout-looking and always player-facing.

Also, as is often the case with fan-made replacements for anything, while the upgrade in quality is nice, one sometimes has to question the aesthetic choices.

Although having said that, since a lot of the charm of Daggerfall is just wandering around, the countryside improvements are amazing (though again, cardboard cutout trees - eh). The other place where the visual upgrade is pretty safe is in dungeons themselves (again, apart from the cardboard cutouts). The worst part is the towns and cities.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I think the major problem is the 3d replacements for 2d sprites --It doesn't feel like the characters as we know and love, now brought into 3 dimensions. Instead, they have a completely different vibe, and what used to be adult and gritty is now cartoony and childish. Check out that friendly skeleton for example -- I don't remember any cuteness like that existing anywhere in the original Daggerfall.

Also, there's a mod being worked on at the Daggerfall Workshop forums that doesn't replace the trees, but affects where they are placed and how they are spaced out. That mod makes a big difference to making the wilderness shots look right. That's one of the first mods I would get. In this video they use a lot of flashy mods that don't always look right.

bildschirmfotovom2021zyj1s.png

bildschirmfotovom202134j9f.png

bildschirmfotovom2021uhk5q.png

bildschirmfotovom2021eyk9g.png

(Wilderness Overhaul)

There's also mods that do things like put more characters in towns, make transparent windows, put more desert-style buildings in the south, that kind of thing. Things that subtly improve the believability of the game-world and which may have been considered by golden-era Bethesda themselves. Not things to bring a 1996 game in line with modern or Disnified tastes.

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
There is no current-day conception that 'pixelated' graphics were not considered inherently cartoonish or childish, nor were they intended to be but in fact often the complete opposite. Less T_T showed this exactly in the MicroProse thread:

"a throw back to old top-down retro soccer games of the 90's"

ss_85a096ded860b3ad9bcd3881b197e49ffed4ed8c.600x338.jpg

*spend much less pixels per character than MicroProse Soccer.*

ss_524f2e20214b46813c540148bcc5f5fceb73ba6a.600x338.jpg

This is exactly like that indie pixel art meme.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
There are mods: Roleplay and Realism
WTF?
Is there a mod for everyday have to take a dump and wipe your ass?
That would be really realistic!

Of course I can understand that really hardcore players will not wipe their ass.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
You do not get the appeal of making a game easily playable on modern machines and fixing countless bugs while optionally giving you various mods and tweaks to adjust the game to your personal preferences?
:nocountryforshitposters:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
You do not get the appeal of making a game easily playable on modern machines and fixing countless bugs while optionally giving you various mods and tweaks to adjust the game to your personal preferences?
:nocountryforshitposters:

Daggerfall runs fine on modern machines. Sure, modding games is fine. The stuff being done with Arcanum, Gold Box or ToEE by great developers is legendary. Making a Unity clone of Daggerfall sure could help further modding and make it run better. That's awesome.

Turning beautiful, classic 2D games into what I see in those screenshots is what I don't get.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom