Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters
I'm testing some of the mods GOG added to Daggerfall. I've thrown out much of it (especially the 5 GB Dream-mod). I do enjoy some aesthetic stuff like added birds, topographical elements though. Alas I'm utterly unable to figure out which mod is responsible for this disgusting bloom effect. Has anybody an idea which one it is? I'm to lazy to try them all one at a time...

gdsgdgdsggdqhkxf.png

Sacibengala

Prophet
I'm testing some of the mods GOG added to Daggerfall. I've thrown out much of it (especially the 5 GB Dream-mod). I do enjoy some aesthetic stuff like added birds, topographical elements though. Alas I'm utterly unable to figure out which mod is responsible for this disgusting bloom effect. Has anybody an idea which one it is? I'm to lazy to try them all one at a time...

gdsgdgdsggdqhkxf.png
I believe the author read your mind (or this thread, lol)https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/1538330545213480960?s=20&t=LwUTaoDBU9w1GVyqCt79cw

gdsgdgdsggdqhkxf.png
I believe the author read your mind (or this thread, lol)https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/1538330545213480960?s=20&t=LwUTaoDBU9w1GVyqCt79cw
Thank you so much brother! I can't understand why they hide this most crucial configuration menu like this instead of integrate it in the launcher itself... anyway, now it finally looks as it should.

I now play the game with Distant Terrain, Skyboxes, World of Daggerfall. The flat landscapes are gone and there are some nice panoramas to catch:
unbenanntj3j7j.jpg

3z7kxp.jpg
4bjkgo.jpg

6ofjau.jpg

9xlja9.jpg

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I might try daggerfall at some point.

Is Daggerfall Unity better in terms of gameplay and mods (affecting gameplay)?
Cosmetic-wise, I think I prefer the original and of course, I prefer anything not run by unity.

So, is there gameplay mods for the original?

Narushima

Cipher
Is Daggerfall Unity better in terms of gameplay and mods (affecting gameplay)?
Just use the Unity version. It fixes bugs and makes the game much more playable. If you don't add the ugly graphics mods we see everywhere, it will look like the original. And there are plenty of mods which improve the game without turning it into a mess.

Unity has a bad reputation because it's very easy to use, therefore many amateurs create a lot of garbage with it; but in capable hands, it's just a 3D engine and can be used to create very good games.

index.php

Arcane
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity/releases/tag/v0.14.0-beta

Daggerfall Unity 0.14.0 Beta [Pre-release]

Preview Release​

Due to the large number of bug fixes and other incremental changes, this release is marked as a preview / pre-release of 0.14.
If you do not wish to test upcoming changes or provide feedback to developers and modders, please download the previous stable Beta release Daggerfall Unity 0.13.5 instead.

Impact to Mods​

Changes in this release are considered "low impact" to mods. Mods compatible with 0.13.5+ should generally remain compatible with this release. Some mods could be impacted depending on which part of the game mod targets. Mod creators please test your mods to confirm compatible with this release and update/rebuild if needed. This ensures your mod is ready for the next general release.
If you are a mod creator and encounter any difficulties rebuilding your mod for 0.14.0, please reach out on the forums for help.

Providing Feedback​

Please help mod authors by testing their updated mods with this release and providing them with your feedback on Nexus or on the forums.
If you encounter any new issues in this release not present in the previous general release, please post details to Help & Support on the forums.

Featured Changes​

Pango - Fix ground seams on some hardware/drivers #2317

The issue of ground seams visible under certain hardware configs should now be resolved.

KABoissonneault - Quest can target Individual Static NPCs outside of dungeons #2325

With Famous Faces of the Iliac Bay mod installed, quests can now target famous NPCs added to the game world.

Nattfarinn - Replace ClickToAttack with WeaponSwingMode (Vanilla, Click, Hold) #2319

Click to attack has been replaced with an option for Vanilla (hold-and-swing), Click (one click per attack) and Hold (hold and keep auto-attacking).
Note: If you previously had Click to Attack enabled, you will need to enable again using Weapon swing mode slider in below screenshot.

Interkarma - Implement Dispel Magic effect with selection popup f5baac8

Dispel Magic effect is now fully implemented with spell selection UI.

Interkarma - Smaller Dungeons setting now available from launcher b62e5fc

Smaller Dungeons can now be enabled simply from launcher under Advanced > Gameplay. Recovery checks have been added so player can change this setting during a playthrough. Player will be warped to exit if this is changed while inside a dungeon. Quests targeting a dungeon will retain whatever setting was active at time quest started. Teleport will detect if anchor was created with a different smaller dungeons setting than recall and warp player back to exit.

Fixes & General Improvements​

Numidium
  • Start difficulty dagger trail in correct place #2343
Jay_H
  • Smuggling reputation change #2304
  • Quest fixes for The Possessed Child, Hunt for a Spriggan, The Heirloom #2330
  • Quest fixes for Lord Kavar 3, A Mix-Up, Unwanted Houseguest, and add missing display names #2351
jefetienne
  • Make controller cursor and controller-look frame-independent #2322
  • Prevent setting null values for setting text in TextBox and TextLabel with empty string #2323
  • Add "Done" button to GameEffectsConfigWindow #2324
KABoissonneault
  • Fixed multiple calls to Billboard.SetMaterial #2333
  • Per-enemy name for custom enemies #2348
  • Fixed "has bow attack" crash for custom enemy casters #2354
  • Fixed "PayMoney" quest action infinite money drain #2357
nkrisztian89
  • Made ShowSkillsDialog() protected virtual to allow overriding by mods #2337
jeniferirwin
  • Fix to allow animals loaded in RDBs to make sounds #2340
ahouts
  • Do not list logical drives on Linux and MacOS, use root "/" instead #2336
jonoser
  • Draw circle gizmo at the bottom of BillBoards (editor only) #2321
andrew-raphael-lukasik
  • See DaggerfallLoot items listed in an Inspector window (editor only) #2312
  • Fix NullReferenceException at SaveExplorerWindow #2315
  • Add mathematics, collections, jobs, burst packages for future use #2316
  • Fix DivideByZeroException in DaggerfallGuildServiceDonation #2320
muttleyxd
  • CreateCharClassQuestion: Allow scrolling with controller right stick #2328
Hazelnut
  • Fix IsValueEqual for ColorKey's #2303
  • Makes %pgX macros consistent with %gX #2341
  • Allow overriding standard guild services #2346
  • Fix edge case for arrow generation which would still set the material properties #2350
  • Add fireplace animate check box to World Data Editor #2360
Interkarma
  • Upgrade Unity Addressables Package from 1.17.17 to 1.19.11 #2308
  • Upgrade Unity Localization Package from 0.8.1-preview to 1.0.5 #2308
  • Upgrade Unity Scriptable Build Pipeline Package from 1.17.0 to 1.19.3 #2308
  • Fixed several wrong names in FLATS.CFG #2308
  • FLATS text strings now part of localization using Internal_Flats table #2308
  • Stubbed BOK (book) string tables for introduction to localization #2308
  • Localization now loads text assets using WaitForCompletion() #2308
  • Fixed localized string not found for Gold info when skipping launcher UI #2308
  • Reduce TAA Motion Blending and Jitter Spread pending another fix ca6c4a1
  • Missing Prince quest now selects either Castle Faalem or Fortress Fhojum to match classic d86c771
  • Fix Morgiah's Wedding improper QuestorPostfailure text d26e63d
  • Only allow one variant of light or darkness disadvantage 30cfde2
  • Improve random treasure alignment to surface 923e1f7
  • Improve quest NPC alignment with ground 76d5bdd
  • Fix progressively sinking loot models with 3D loot models 850066b
  • Fix multiple sizing and alignmemt issues with painting info popup 89a31a2
  • RepairsObjects now properly repairs all items in inventory not just equipped items 6846029
  • Fix arrow collider not aligned properly to arrow missile 26e7433
  • Fix jewellery drawn on paper doll when not equipped to body 83333a6
  • Complete Identify effect to use Chance - player needs to re-create any Identify spells in spellbook for fix bff417a
  • Fix quest debugger place marker alignment in retro mode 1fbe5ea
  • Teleport effect is no longer incumbent to fix issues with persistence in combined effects and dispelling anchor 239ad20
  • Improvements to Regenerate effect IsLikeKind check to fix issues with duration stacking 8311b81
  • Improvements to Fortify effect IsLikeKind check to fix issues with duration stacking 091db29
  • Patch bad Free Action data from SPELLS.STD at runtime to fix improper circinate Free Action spell 35e28b1
  • Use consistent paper doll colour space to fix colour conversion issue d5d3678
  • Fix issue in Open a Chest where two pawn shops were required b6d58ec
  • Don't allow player to absorb more than cost of spell and patch conditional error 5c2f81c 49f6ae4
  • Add INI setting DisableEnemyDeathAlert to disable "Enemy just died" message on HUD a9e817a
  • Create arrows with CreateWeapon as partial fix for arrows with materials 0bb15b1 e98c58d
  • Lower default WeaponAttackThreshold sensitivity from 0.03 to 0.01 06f66ff
  • Fix spymaster wrong info in C0C00Y12 ca51d32
  • Make "The Infested House" only target random houses 020272b
  • Fix "cowled woman" face index in FLATS.CFG 4f658a8
Thank you for helping to test Daggerfall Unity!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity/releases/tag/v0.14.0-beta

Daggerfall Unity 0.14.0 Beta [Pre-release]

Preview Release​

Due to the large number of bug fixes and other incremental changes, this release is marked as a preview / pre-release of 0.14.
If you do not wish to test upcoming changes or provide feedback to developers and modders, please download the previous stable Beta release Daggerfall Unity 0.13.5 instead.

Impact to Mods​

Changes in this release are considered "low impact" to mods. Mods compatible with 0.13.5+ should generally remain compatible with this release. Some mods could be impacted depending on which part of the game mod targets. Mod creators please test your mods to confirm compatible with this release and update/rebuild if needed. This ensures your mod is ready for the next general release.
If you are a mod creator and encounter any difficulties rebuilding your mod for 0.14.0, please reach out on the forums for help.

Providing Feedback​

Please help mod authors by testing their updated mods with this release and providing them with your feedback on Nexus or on the forums.
If you encounter any new issues in this release not present in the previous general release, please post details to Help & Support on the forums.

Featured Changes​

Pango - Fix ground seams on some hardware/drivers #2317

The issue of ground seams visible under certain hardware configs should now be resolved.

KABoissonneault - Quest can target Individual Static NPCs outside of dungeons #2325

With Famous Faces of the Iliac Bay mod installed, quests can now target famous NPCs added to the game world.

Nattfarinn - Replace ClickToAttack with WeaponSwingMode (Vanilla, Click, Hold) #2319

Click to attack has been replaced with an option for Vanilla (hold-and-swing), Click (one click per attack) and Hold (hold and keep auto-attacking).
Note: If you previously had Click to Attack enabled, you will need to enable again using Weapon swing mode slider in below screenshot.

Interkarma - Implement Dispel Magic effect with selection popup f5baac8

Dispel Magic effect is now fully implemented with spell selection UI.

Interkarma - Smaller Dungeons setting now available from launcher b62e5fc

Smaller Dungeons can now be enabled simply from launcher under Advanced > Gameplay. Recovery checks have been added so player can change this setting during a playthrough. Player will be warped to exit if this is changed while inside a dungeon. Quests targeting a dungeon will retain whatever setting was active at time quest started. Teleport will detect if anchor was created with a different smaller dungeons setting than recall and warp player back to exit.

Fixes & General Improvements​

Numidium
  • Start difficulty dagger trail in correct place #2343
Jay_H
  • Smuggling reputation change #2304
  • Quest fixes for The Possessed Child, Hunt for a Spriggan, The Heirloom #2330
  • Quest fixes for Lord Kavar 3, A Mix-Up, Unwanted Houseguest, and add missing display names #2351
jefetienne
  • Make controller cursor and controller-look frame-independent #2322
  • Prevent setting null values for setting text in TextBox and TextLabel with empty string #2323
  • Add "Done" button to GameEffectsConfigWindow #2324
KABoissonneault
  • Fixed multiple calls to Billboard.SetMaterial #2333
  • Per-enemy name for custom enemies #2348
  • Fixed "has bow attack" crash for custom enemy casters #2354
  • Fixed "PayMoney" quest action infinite money drain #2357
nkrisztian89
  • Made ShowSkillsDialog() protected virtual to allow overriding by mods #2337
jeniferirwin
  • Fix to allow animals loaded in RDBs to make sounds #2340
ahouts
  • Do not list logical drives on Linux and MacOS, use root "/" instead #2336
jonoser
  • Draw circle gizmo at the bottom of BillBoards (editor only) #2321
andrew-raphael-lukasik
  • See DaggerfallLoot items listed in an Inspector window (editor only) #2312
  • Fix NullReferenceException at SaveExplorerWindow #2315
  • Add mathematics, collections, jobs, burst packages for future use #2316
  • Fix DivideByZeroException in DaggerfallGuildServiceDonation #2320
muttleyxd
  • CreateCharClassQuestion: Allow scrolling with controller right stick #2328
Hazelnut
  • Fix IsValueEqual for ColorKey's #2303
  • Makes %pgX macros consistent with %gX #2341
  • Allow overriding standard guild services #2346
  • Fix edge case for arrow generation which would still set the material properties #2350
  • Add fireplace animate check box to World Data Editor #2360
Interkarma
  • Upgrade Unity Addressables Package from 1.17.17 to 1.19.11 #2308
  • Upgrade Unity Localization Package from 0.8.1-preview to 1.0.5 #2308
  • Upgrade Unity Scriptable Build Pipeline Package from 1.17.0 to 1.19.3 #2308
  • Fixed several wrong names in FLATS.CFG #2308
  • FLATS text strings now part of localization using Internal_Flats table #2308
  • Stubbed BOK (book) string tables for introduction to localization #2308
  • Localization now loads text assets using WaitForCompletion() #2308
  • Fixed localized string not found for Gold info when skipping launcher UI #2308
  • Reduce TAA Motion Blending and Jitter Spread pending another fix ca6c4a1
  • Missing Prince quest now selects either Castle Faalem or Fortress Fhojum to match classic d86c771
  • Fix Morgiah's Wedding improper QuestorPostfailure text d26e63d
  • Only allow one variant of light or darkness disadvantage 30cfde2
  • Improve random treasure alignment to surface 923e1f7
  • Improve quest NPC alignment with ground 76d5bdd
  • Fix progressively sinking loot models with 3D loot models 850066b
  • Fix multiple sizing and alignmemt issues with painting info popup 89a31a2
  • RepairsObjects now properly repairs all items in inventory not just equipped items 6846029
  • Fix arrow collider not aligned properly to arrow missile 26e7433
  • Fix jewellery drawn on paper doll when not equipped to body 83333a6
  • Complete Identify effect to use Chance - player needs to re-create any Identify spells in spellbook for fix bff417a
  • Fix quest debugger place marker alignment in retro mode 1fbe5ea
  • Teleport effect is no longer incumbent to fix issues with persistence in combined effects and dispelling anchor 239ad20
  • Improvements to Regenerate effect IsLikeKind check to fix issues with duration stacking 8311b81
  • Improvements to Fortify effect IsLikeKind check to fix issues with duration stacking 091db29
  • Patch bad Free Action data from SPELLS.STD at runtime to fix improper circinate Free Action spell 35e28b1
  • Use consistent paper doll colour space to fix colour conversion issue d5d3678
  • Fix issue in Open a Chest where two pawn shops were required b6d58ec
  • Don't allow player to absorb more than cost of spell and patch conditional error 5c2f81c 49f6ae4
  • Add INI setting DisableEnemyDeathAlert to disable "Enemy just died" message on HUD a9e817a
  • Create arrows with CreateWeapon as partial fix for arrows with materials 0bb15b1 e98c58d
  • Lower default WeaponAttackThreshold sensitivity from 0.03 to 0.01 06f66ff
  • Fix spymaster wrong info in C0C00Y12 ca51d32
  • Make "The Infested House" only target random houses 020272b
  • Fix "cowled woman" face index in FLATS.CFG 4f658a8
Thank you for helping to test Daggerfall Unity!
Adding 'Smaller Dungeons' option to the main menu is a game changer, now I will surely return to playing the game at some point.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I downloaded the Daggerfall Unity GOG version because- well, what the hell - it's free and I was curious, right? I uninstalled it within minutes because it's simply mind-blowing that those hideous, smudgy-looking upscaled models were selected as the default. Oh, I know I could find the offending mod(s) in the mod-pack and disable it but tbh, I couldn't be arsed. Call me when it's perfected and the upscaled models (or new original ones by actual artists preferably) DO look good.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Censorship by whom? Daggerfall was created for an American audience
As were just about all of the classic CRPGs, many of which included nudity, but "Americans are prudes" has been the trendy thing for Europeans to spout for awhile now because of censorship on 90s consoles.
And censorship of US version of the Witcher (cards you get after successful sexual conquest).

Even totally obscure titles like Amiga RPG Fate: Gates of Dawn had a censored version for the US market.

1497550179656.png

Also juvenile sex scenes in DAO (Morrigan who does not wear bra under her dress puts it on for a sex scene, because in US tits are HARAM)

American culture is quite puritan, there is no doubt about it. A few boobs in early Bethesda games (they never returned in titles with better graphical fidelity) does not change this fact.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
As were just about all of the classic CRPGs, many of which included nudity, but "Americans are prudes" has been the trendy thing for Europeans to spout for awhile now because of censorship on 90s consoles.
And censorship of US version of the Witcher (cards you get after successful sexual conquest).

Even totally obscure titles like Amiga RPG Fate: Gates of Dawn had a censored version for the US market.

1497550179656.png

Also juvenile sex scenes in DAO (Morrigan who does not wear bra under her dress puts it on for a sex scene, because in US tits are HARAM)

American culture is quite puritan, there is no doubt about it. A few boobs in early Bethesda games (they never returned in titles with better graphical fidelity) does not change this fact.
You realize you just helped his argument, right?
You listed a bunch of non-american devs preemptively censoring their games for an American release.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

1497550179656.png

You listed a bunch of non-american devs preemptively censoring their games for an American release.
Obviously they knew the market.

Codex Year of the Donut

1497550179656.png

Obviously they knew the market.
How so? The only American game listed so far(Daggerfall) was uncensored.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What would be a good pure caster build using spell absorption and the classic cheat of taking critical damage from paralysis as a high elf?

mondblut

Arcane
Okay, I played it for an hour and I'm getting a bit frustrated, unsure if it's because of my skill or botched character creation, but both magical imps and skeletons appear to be downright immortal.

Getting ebony dagger at startup makes all the difference.

Okay, I played it for an hour and I'm getting a bit frustrated, unsure if it's because of my skill or botched character creation, but both magical imps and skeletons appear to be downright immortal.

Getting ebony dagger at startup makes all the difference.
Yeah, that dagger is gold at the beginning. And skeletons are assholes but from lvl 4-5 on you hack them to tiny bone fragments without blinking an eye. If you have some fighting capabilities that is.

Zlaja

Arcane
Beside imps requiring at least steel weapon to damage them, it's also important to note that harpies require at least dwarven weapons. Harpies can often be encountered in dungeons in early game and you can run in to them before dwarven stuff starts to drop. Can be a major issue in certain dungeons.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Here's my overpowered character class. It does require save editing to get all the advantages and disadvantages. I run Levelup Adjuster and set the modification for stats to be 50. The stat maximum is set to 200.

Name: War Mage,

AdvancementMultiplier: 0.5,

HitPointsPerLevel: 30,

Strength: 50,

Intelligence: 50,

Willpower: 50,

Agility: 50,

Endurance: 50,

Personality: 50,

Speed: 50,

Luck: 50,

PrimarySkill1: Destruction,

PrimarySkill2: Restoration,

PrimarySkill3: LongBlade,

MajorSkill1: Alteration,

MajorSkill2: Mysticism,

MajorSkill3: Thaumaturgy,

MinorSkill1: CriticalStrike,

MinorSkill2: Dodging,

MinorSkill3: Illusion,

MinorSkill4: Jumping,

MinorSkill5: Running,

MinorSkill6: Streetwise,

Paralysis: Immune,

Magic: Immune,

Poison: Immune,

Fire: Immune,

Frost: Immune,

Shock: Immune,

Disease: Immune,

ShortBlades: Normal,

LongBlades: Normal,

HandToHand: Normal,

Axes: Normal,

BluntWeapons: Normal,

MissileWeapons: Normal,

UndeadAttackModifier: Normal,

DaedraAttackModifier: Normal,

HumanoidAttackModifier: Normal,

AnimalsAttackModifier: Normal,

DarknessPoweredMagery: ,

LightPoweredMagery: ,

ForbiddenMaterials: ,

ForbiddenShields: ,

ForbiddenArmors: ,

ForbiddenProficiencies: ,

ExpertProficiencies: ,

SpellPointMultiplier: Times_3_00,

SpellPointMultiplierValue: 3.0,

SpellAbsorption: Always,

NoRegenSpellPoints: false,

AcuteHearing: true,

Athleticism: true,

AdrenalineRush: false,

Regeneration: Always,

RapidHealing: Always,

DamageFromSunlight: false,

DamageFromHolyPlaces: false

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom