Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The dungeons in Daggerfall are procedurally generated, yes, but they were procedurally generated way back when Daggerfall was in development, so they are actually the same layout on every playthrough
Main quest dungeons and capital cities in Daggerfall are manually designed. Everything else is procedurally generated at runtime - but with a fixed seed. So yes, the general layout of all dungeons remains the same from game to game - but the position of the quest item and IIRC the type of monsters that inhabit the dungeon are randomly generated when the quest is created with a dynamic seed.
Yeah I knew the main quest dungeons are manually designed. And yeah I knew that enemies/objectives in dungeons are randomly placed whenever you enter them. The fixed seed that is used to generate the procedurally generated dungeons at runtime, is that modifiable then? I can go type a different number in somewhere and get a totally different array of dungeon layouts? But by default all of the dungeons in an unmodified game are the same on every playthrough (layout-wise only of course) like I thought, right? I did think all this time that they were procgen'd during development and the algorithm never actually made it into the game files to be reverse engineered because why would it when you have the dungeons in the game already and don't plan to change them.
The dungeon generation algorithms are very much accessible to modders. Daggerfall Unity actually comes with a "smaller dungeons" setting that makes sidequest dungeons significantly more compact.
However, the dungeons are not generated the same way as in roguelikes, but put together from pre-made blocks.
Yeah I knew that the Smaller Dungeons option exists (I even suggested it a few pages back under the assumption it would be helpful for those who get lost easily), but I've never actually used it (I like big dungeons!) so I wasn't educated enough on the subject to know exactly what it modifies. Does it just shrink the scale of the place or does it chop off areas and turn them into dead ends earlier than having to run down a huge hallway and through 5 rooms to find a dead end with no objective? What exactly does that do?
What DFU cannot do is change these blocks themselves.
Can't as in "it's impossible" or can't as in it would break a bunch of layouts if they weren't all generated with the same or similar sizes? Why wouldn't one be able to change some of these dungeon blocks to add more furniture or add some ledges?

Cliffworms

Novice
The dungeons in Daggerfall are procedurally generated, yes, but they were procedurally generated way back when Daggerfall was in development, so they are actually the same layout on every playthrough
Since the World Data Editor's release a year ago, it has been possible to edit dungeon blocks with Unity's editor interface. Someone with enough time on their hand could, for example, take a dungeon block and add objects to its layout according to a specific theme (like an orc stronghold). That block could then overwrite the existing so that all dungeons using it have the changes, or saved as a new one to use in a specific dungeon.

I've often toyed with the idea of taking dungeon blocks and making them fit more their dungeon type while keeping the same layout, but that's a lot of blocks to edit.
It's on the idea list, but I always find something else to work on instead.

Does it just shrink the scale of the place or does it chop off areas and turn them into dead ends earlier than having to run down a huge hallway and through 5 rooms to find a dead end with no objective? What exactly does that do?
Dungeons are made of several pre-built blocks. What the smaller dungeon setting does is keep only one block. As a reference for size, the starter dungeon is one block. So you could say that it chops off all blocks in the dungeon and keep only the one that is specified as the entry point.

Last edited:

CootKeeper

Augur
Since the World Data Editor's release a year ago, it has been possible to edit dungeon blocks with Unity's editor interface. Someone with enough time on their hand could, for example, take a dungeon block and add objects to its layout according to a specific theme (like an orc stronghold). That block could then overwrite the existing so that all dungeons using it have the changes, or saved as a new one to use in a specific dungeon.

I've often toyed with the idea of taking dungeon blocks and making them fit more their dungeon type while keeping the same layout, but that's a lot of blocks to edit.
It's on the idea list, but I always find something else to work on instead.

Does it just shrink the scale of the place or does it chop off areas and turn them into dead ends earlier than having to run down a huge hallway and through 5 rooms to find a dead end with no objective? What exactly does that do?
Dungeons are made of several pre-built blocks. What the smaller dungeon setting does is keep only one block. As a reference for size, the starter dungeon is one block. So you could say that it chops off all blocks in the dungeon and keep only the one that is specified as the entry point.

Welcome to the Kodex Cliffworms. Love your Daggerfall mods!

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Man, with the right mods, you can really turn this game into a horror game. Using a mod which disables most torches and lights when entering a dungeon, and its fucking great for dungeon exploring.

Daggerfall Screenshot 2022.12.28 - 09.07.11.95.png

mastroego

Arcane
So I've installed something like 20 mods so far, but I want moar.
Just messing around a bit yet.

Didn't remember at all the mouse swing moves to attack.
I'm afraid I've already activated the Unity option to switch to a click attack. I'm old now, folks, I'm not in this for mouse acrobatics.

Tried a couple of starts.
First time, got killed by the tutorial rat, which didn't bode too well.
Second time, got killed by the tutorial bat.
Tutorial Imp didn't even need to intervene.
Well.

Efe

Erudite
What is the problem?
no hits? no damage? no health?
phobia of animals?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Man, with the right mods, you can really turn this game into a horror game. Using a mod which disables most torches and lights when entering a dungeon, and its fucking great for dungeon exploring.

View attachment 31988
I've actually been trying to get a combination of these mods to work together for this effect but to no avail. My dungeons are as bright as ever even if I turn all the lighting settings down in DFU and mod settings. Which mods specifically are you using to achieve this?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

View attachment 31988
I've actually been trying to get a combination of these mods to work together for this effect but to no avail. My dungeons are as bright as ever even if I turn all the lighting settings down in DFU and mod settings. Which mods specifically are you using to achieve this?
Improved Interior Lighting
Darker Dungeons
Better Ambience

mastroego

Arcane
What is the problem?
no hits? no damage? no health?
phobia of animals?

I've reverted the attack click thing, I'll try the vanilla setting, but it sure needs getting used to.
Hitting something is hard and I get hit back for big damage pretty often even by bats and such.
Not sure how one's supposed to do the first dungeon.

It's just an autogenerated test-character though. No optimization or anything. I don't really remember the game.
Can the first dungeon be skipped?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What class did you pick? You'll probably spawn with a weapon that applies to one of your primary/major skills, just use the weapon that is the highest grade material of the highest skill level you have. You absolutely can't play this game with a close quarters combat focus if you have 5% in Blunt Weapons and want to use a Flail, for example. You can also just run past every enemy in the first dungeon to reach the exit if you are determined to run a hipster build, but really the initial dungeon and how your character performs in it kinda sets the tone for the rest of the game, if you can't even kill the rat/bat/thief in the first stretch you're not going to be able to kill anything else, and you won't be able to earn money via (most) quests because most of them involve combat with creatures worse than rats, which means you won't be able to pay for training to up your weapon skills. Privateer's Hold is by no means impossible, it's actually a good tutorial imo because it lets you know right away if you've made a dogshit custom class by accident, it effectively filters bad builds from reaching the open world.

mastroego

Arcane
What class did you pick? You'll probably spawn with a weapon that applies to one of your primary/major skills, just use the weapon that is the highest grade material of the highest skill level you have. You absolutely can't play this game with a close quarters combat focus if you have 5% in Blunt Weapons and want to use a Flail, for example. You can also just run past every enemy in the first dungeon to reach the exit if you are determined to run a hipster build, but really the initial dungeon and how your character performs in it kinda sets the tone for the rest of the game, if you can't even kill the rat/bat/thief in the first stretch you're not going to be able to kill anything else, and you won't be able to earn money via (most) quests because most of them involve combat with creatures worse than rats, which means you won't be able to pay for training to up your weapon skills. Privateer's Hold is by no means impossible, it's actually a good tutorial imo because it lets you know right away if you've made a dogshit custom class by accident, it effectively filters bad builds from reaching the open world.
Ok I see one has to take it seriously from the start.
I was just trying to get out to see how some of the mods work.
(I went with Vanilla Enhanced BTW, since it adds model variety)

I still have a lot of mods to check. I was tempted to go with the Realism stuff too, and when it's all set start with the "real" character made through the questions.
I'd prefer to avoid powerplaying and such.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
To be clear, I'm not suggesting you go full autism minmax, but having a weapon skill you can rely on in a game where 95% of the content is combat-related is pretty much a requirement.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm using that one too, though there is another one that is much closer to vanilla (Skyboxer) that I'd rather be using, which is unfortunately totally fucking broken at anything over 60 FOV for some reason, had to make do with Dynamic Skies for stuff to not look like ass with Distant Terrain.

mastroego

Arcane
So I was thinking about adding:

- Roleplay and Realism
- Climate and Calories
- The Penwick Papers
- Skulldudgery
- Bossfall (too many changes, unsure)
- Lousy Licans
- Vampiric Options
- Repair Tools
- Harvestable Crops

Too difficult?

Cliffworms

Novice
So I was thinking about adding:

- Roleplay and Realism
- Climate and Calories
- The Penwick Papers
- Skulldudgery
- Bossfall (too many changes, unsure)
- Lousy Licans
- Vampiric Options
- Repair Tools
- Harvestable Crops

Too difficult?

You'll be fine I'm sure. Climate and Calories add some more micro-management with the survival elements, but I love it. It gives a meaning to gold since you now have to spend it on food and lodgings, along with proper clothing for the elements. Combining it with Travel Options, Realistic Wagons and Basic Roads makes the adventure of traveling between cities as fun, if not more, than the quest you're on. It sometimes plays like the Oregon Trail where traveling in the mountains during winter can be a death sentence if you're not prepared.

Note that Skulldudgery changes legal mechanics. Guards who simply spot you doing a crime will drop your reputation instead of having to be hit first to get the rep drop. It does make criminal activities more fun in my book, though.

I can't vouch for Bossfall. From what I read on it, it's not really my taste.

Welcome to the Kodex Cliffworms. Love your Daggerfall mods!

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying them. I've been lurking that thread for some time actually. It has been a very interesting read so far.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks, I have decided indeed to go full overhaul.

Some advise against it on the first run, but gaming time is limited.
Besides, I already play Skyrim Requiem + Frostfall + Sunhelm, it's not entirely a new concept for me.
We'll see.
I'm more worried about unleveling enemies and such to be honest, but other mods I've added are meant to play with those....

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Reading the Nexus comments sections under good mods... a good chunk of them are people:
1. Asking if it's compatible with DREAM
2. Demanding the creator make it compatible with DREAM
3. Wondering aloud why anyone would choose to imitate the disgusting original pixelated graphics with their mod in the year of our lord 2022 when DREAM exists, instead of making their mod high-res and DREAM-compatible to begin with
That mod really has poisoned the well, even if the creator of it is totally inoffensive.

I remember when I was like 11 years old and I thought those Duke Nukem 3D high-res 3D models mods looked good, now I can't stand looking at them without wanting to claw my eyes out.

Cliffworms

Novice
On one hand, DREAM has brought a lot of attention to Daggerfall and Daggerfall Unity, so that's nice. On the other, there are the three valid points you made. ;)
Keeping to Daggerfall's retro graphics makes things easier for artists. In the long run, there will be more mods keeping to retro aesthetics than others who go the Dream way.

Ninelan, author of Daggerfall Expanded Textures, makes awesome sprites and models in Daggerfall's aesthetics. Such as Skakmat's sprite here :

52362058989_62d09d33c6_b.jpg

Puukko

Arcane
I only use DREAM's environment/building textures while all NPCs and creatures are original. Best of both worlds, I think. This playthrough is barely off the ground though so it could be I end up favoring vanilla all the way later on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom