Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dan Vavra presents: "100 reasons, why I hate Skyrim."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well, may be it's just me. I hate downtime in games. I barely could play FF after 6, because I could not set emulation to double speed.

Are you ready to protect us all baturisky?
Sure it's all easily fixable, if you know what to do, what patches to apply, what artifacts to get, what exploit to use, etc. But for new player that try to play spolier-free game can be quite tedious.
And they fixed this problem for you:
121_zps7523e027.jpg

Murk

Arcane
I uhh... I don't really like this dude, cuz he sounds full of himself, but there's obviously a lot of truth to his list. Namely, I appreciate this:

"If you cannot do well with light and shadow play, High Dynamic Range and/or Bloom to the rescue. Everything becomes blurred and over saturated mess. Amateurs, as we truly are, going for set ambient light, so during day at snow each object facing away from light source appears black as butt hole and your eyes bleed from the contrast."

UserNamer

Cipher
well it's funny how he still plays that shit. He doesn't recognize he has a mental problem. I know a guy like that, he HAS to play videogames, he hated oblivion at the time but still spent hundred of hours on it, it's like he has some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder. I don't understand playing games regularly, routinely, and playing a game you hate (and for good reasons) baffles me. But I like how they defend themselves- "open world games are addictive" "oh well I'm just a completionist". Jesus goddamn christ.

Psquit

Arcane
well it's funny how he still plays that shit. He doesn't recognize he has a mental problem. I know a guy like that, he HAS to play videogames, he hated oblivion at the time but still spent hundred of hours on it, it's like he has some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder. I don't understand playing games regularly, routinely, and playing a game you hate (and for good reasons) baffles me. But I like how they defend themselves- "open world games are addictive" "oh well I'm just a completionist". Jesus goddamn christ.

"open world games are addictive" if only that were true...

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't know the author's experience with Bethesda games, but from my experience I know this: if I spent money on Bethesda games after Fallout 3, I am part of the problem. If you continue to pay to get shit on, expect to continue to be shit on. I will not watch another Star Trek movie, I will not watch another Star Wars movie, I will not buy another Bethesda game, I will not play another Deus Ex game, and so forth.

Psquit

Arcane
I don't know the author's experience with Bethesda games, but from my experience I know this: if I spent money on Bethesda games after Fallout 3, I am part of the problem. If you continue to pay to get shit on, expect to continue to be shit on. I will not watch another Star Trek movie, I will not watch another Star Wars movie, I will not buy another Bethesda game, I will not play another Deus Ex game, and so forth.

Those things are Mainstream Ergo shit. They wont make non-popamole games cause they got greedy and they want moar.

Ninjerk

Arcane
psquit said:
Those things are Mainstream Ergo shit. They wont make non-popamole games cause they got greedy and they want moar.

I'm sorry, I've read this a couple times now and I don't know that I understand what you mean with the first sentence. Mainstream Ergo? I agree that the companies that are "franchise raping" probably won't smart up over lost sales (assuming people would actually exercise restraint over their wallet), but at least they would go out of business and "clear the air" so to speak.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
psquit said:

I'm sorry, I've read this a couple times now and I don't know that I understand what you mean with the first sentence. Mainstream Ergo? I agree that the companies that are "franchise raping" probably won't smart up over lost sales (assuming people would actually exercise restraint over their wallet), but at least they would go out of business and "clear the air" so to speak.
Yeah no buddy, he means that they won't stop "franchise raping" because they are making money doing it....

lost sales :lol:

corvus

Arcane
OP wasn't very convincing at all. The only person who has ever argued well about the faults of post-Morrowind Elder Scrolls is this guy. Someone that isn't DraQ, anyway.

zwanzig_zwoelf

After Daggerfall every TES games seems dumbed down and shitty.
Starting with Morrowind, actually.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Starting with Oblivion, actually.

Fixed.
Morrowind is a different type of experience than Arena and Daggerfall, but calling it dumbed down is just blatant "I haven't met my edgy quota for this month yet"-ness.

Morrowind was different, yes, but it was already moving towards dumbing the game down. Of course, that didn't make the game the utter shit, like Oblivion and Skyrim, but the stench of upcoming shit was there.
You just have to admit it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Daniel.Vavra said:
I love western style role playing games. Hence I represent typical target audience for Skyrim.
:nocountryforshitposters:

I stopped reading right there, but a brofist for the translation is deserved.

MCA
Combat is shit in all Elder Scrolls games

Combat is pretty good in Daggerfall. One of the absolute best in a first person RPG.

Guilds are pretty much the thing I play ES games for and Daggerfall just sucks the life out of them.

Yes, "go fetch # many of X item", "kill X creature"; the epitome of ES guild quests which haven't changed since Daggerfall. Except you can be the master of every guild in later games.

LOL

Daggerfall had the balls to kick your sorry ass out of a guild when you did things your guild didn't agree with.

-dungeons aren't as confusing

You actually want dungeons to be confusing? I guess there are all kinds of people in this world...

Dungeons are serious business in Daggerfall. Going into a dungeon, searching for your objective, getting lost, running into a section that you passed through before and feeling that relief of finally knowing where you are, finding your way out. Until you realise that there is a limited number of dungeon configurations and that you can eventually memorize all of them, dungeons are serious fucking business in Daggerfall and every single dungeon feels like an adventure epic. It's something unknown and dangerous the way it should be. What's not to love?

In most other games and especially in other TES games, It's a theme park ride.

baturinsky

Arcane
Dungeons are what killed Daggerfall. That, and buggy confusing main quest.
They should have hand-maid story dungeons, and made others several times smaller.

DraQ

Arcane
Starting with Oblivion, actually.

Fixed.
Morrowind is a different type of experience than Arena and Daggerfall, but calling it dumbed down is just blatant "I haven't met my edgy quota for this month yet"-ness.

Morrowind was different, yes, but it was already moving towards dumbing the game down. Of course, that didn't make the game the utter shit, like Oblivion and Skyrim, but the stench of upcoming shit was there.
You just have to admit it.
Partially. Reduction of scale was bad, removal of seasons, holidays and banking sucked, but those didn't really impact gameplay that much (in particular the overland size had absolutely no impact on anything as nothing ever happened outside designated locations), and you got actual, handcrafted content in exchange.
Lack of climbing was a shame.
Lack of local law (and trials), more forgiving diseases, and dumbing down of chargen and enchanting were borderline criminal.

OTOH the game integrated both lore with gameplay (you can for example use Hanin's Wake to find his tomb) and gameplay systems with each other, and presentation (NPCs have inventories they actually use, they wear armour visible on them, there is a lot of information hidden in plain sight within what NPCs wear, landscapes and so on). It also smarted up the lore in general.

I'd say Morrowind is a draw between dumbing down and its opposite. Oblivion, OTOH was just uncontrolled tumble down the shitter in all aspects barring NPC activity cycles.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Daggerfall's dungeons are just incredible; even Morrowind's hand-placed content couldn't replace them for me.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Hand maid you say?

star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-queen-amidala.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom