Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dangerous Rays : S.T.A.L.K.E.R like

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Might be interesting, the alpha will be out in April.

Developed by one person and using a custom made game engine, Dangerous Rays is a single player survival game inspired by the S.T.A.L.K.E.R™ game series, where you play as a normal citizen that survived to a nuclear accident disaster, after some years in your fallout shelter you need to get out because you start to run out of food. It is time to confront the new world.

Explore the huge procedurally generated world of the game to find food, water, guns and everything else you'll need in order to survive in this new ruthless world. The game support extensive modding possibilities. A complete 3D world editor is coming soon after the release to allow players to create their own worlds and stories in Dangerous rays universe.

Videos :

http://www.dangerousrays.com/

spectre

Arcane
So, made by one guy in his garage for 6000$, subsiding on noodles. This can only be a horrible, horrible trainwreck, or a fucking great game.

I like the pedantic approach to ballistics, procedural content and singleplayer focus is also nice.
Lots of brown but this looks like it has potential as a hiking sim with guns at the very least.

Raapys

Arcane
The engine and shooting gameplay could end up decent, but I just don't see one person being able to make enough interesting stuff to fill a game like this with, even assuming he has skills in all the areas required.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
STALKER with world size of Deep Shadows games? I'm in but don't believe that it's "one man made".
Hope there will be no hipsterist indie contamination from other "independed moranz" to turn it into something capable for west audience.
And here is the thing - only eastern europeans know about surviving. Western - not so... Wonder where the creator come from/

spectre

Arcane
The guy's French.

Technically, I could see one immensely talented guy implementing all this since 2011, just he, his PC and the lonely basement.
That would also explain the studio name.
Seriously though, most of the stuff cold have been supported by the engine, the biggest task here may have been to tweak it to handle procedural content.

I'm pretty interested in what this game will be about - nomadic life of exploration and survival, or will there be some metastructure to give it some actual purpose apart from larping.

Object manipulation and physics shows some potential. If it won't kill the comp, it may be possible to do some freeform crafting and building. Stalker inspired survival FPS meets Dwarf Fortress... I think I'm getting too excited for my own good here.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
I'm getting a slightly schizophrenic vibe out of that website, it's as though it's developed by one guy who keeps referring to himeslf as we :)
I don't think there's anything to gain for a larger comapny pretending that they are a one-man show (then again, in indie gaming there are things horatio...).

The feature list for this engine has me incredibly skeptical that it was 100% scratchcoded by one man, and thus all other feature claims about this game are suspect as well. Getting strong Miasmata vibes from this.
Can't really say for sure without knowing the guy's background. Obviously he's got a lot of talent and experience in the audiovisual department.
On the other hand, 3 years is a lot of time (and the website claims work on the game began in 2011).

Check this out:
http://esenthel.com/
This engine was also made by one guy around 2007, it's gone a long way since then, and I really dunno if he's gotten some help with it along the way, but up to a point, it was all one-guy.
If you dig out some old codex threads, you may find some threads about a planned RPG game with the same name, using that engine. It seems that project is long dead, but by 2011 the engine becomes this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7TaAcHUcZA
BAM, vehicles, ragdolls, fully functional world editor powerhouse, not to mention motion blurs, sun rays, the whole shebang.

I don't know diddly squat about engine programming, but the Dangerous Rays thing looks doable, still doesn't make it less impressive.

Last edited:

Azazel

Arbiter
Oh I know they exist, I've played around with most of the publicly available ones over the years, for some reason this one is just giving me a weird vibe (though I think the "we" is just an attempt to use the royal we in corporate-speak). The visuals aren't that impressive, TBH my first thought was that it's running on C4 or Leadwerks but neither of those support PhysX.

Pretty sure Slazinski either hired on a team to expand Esenthel a few years back or sold the rights to someone, I can't remember.

Azazel

Arbiter
The development of Dangerous Rays started in 2011, from the beginning I knew that I wanted to do a "modding friendly" game and that's why I decided to do my own game engine. This is way more fun for the brain ! The engine base code was finished at the end of 2012. Then from this date I have been developing Dangerous Rays gameplay.

Yeaaaaaah. Miasmata's engine MILO doesn't have half the features that this claims to, and it took two guys over 4 years to crank that thing out. He's definitely using Vision or Torque, or hell maybe even Esenthel since it apparently has PhysX support now.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
by one guy who keeps referring to himeslf as we
Oui - oui!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Still - project is strange, especially part about the time compared to the effects. I mean - how one person could do that much in 2 years on his own made engine?
Lot of people don't have that much will or strengh to make anything beyond scratches (or jumping to other projects) or before giving up.
Something that happen if you're got best manager/supervisor or anyone who lead you and keep your shit together, in shape.

Hope this game will be moddable - it's huge part of success.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
I suspect he's exaggerating at least some of the features. At any rate, there should be some sort of alpha coming out at the beginning of the next month, so we can see how it handles in an uncontrolled environment.
(not that I would give him any monies just yet, unless its something really impressive).

Hope this game will be moddable - it's huge part of success.
He says modding will be a big thing - mostly lua scripts and xml files - but to what extent it's anybody's guess.
I doubt you could make a total conversion with this, but something akin to M&B vanilla expansions and overhauls seems reasonable.

TedNugent

Arcane
Oh my God, that ballistics sim. Need a FPS with that type of trajectory/penetration simulation and I'm good.
Lonely Bits Games is happy to announce you that Dangerous Rays early alpha access will be available on April 15th for 16.99$ with a special price of 12.99$ during the first two weeks after the release. This version will be 100% DRM free and distributed on the game official website.

http://forums.lonelybitsgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14
I'll have to consider opting in for this if just to play around with the ballistics sim/gun handling. I consider that to be kind of useful in and of itself.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Concerning the engine and wether it's custom or not, here are some words from the dev I translated :

Someone in the comments said the engine is LeadWerks. LeadWerks (an old 2.x version) has only been used for some functions regarding OpenGL. The rendering code is custom as well as the day/night cycle, the PhysX3 integration, the sound engine, the AI navigation system are all custom.

spectre

Arcane

New vid. Doesn't show too much, apart from a lulzy bad tree chopping (WIP), promising fire propagation system (unfortunately, he doesn't go overboard with it, just a few planks that catch fire) and a bit more of the procedurally generated terrain.
Looks a bit like stalker meets oblibion. I remember being more impressed with the previous vids tbh.
Coming out in four days and the price tag is 13 dorra.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Is there any actual gameplay? Story? Enemies to fight? Survival mechanics to engage with? Don't get me wrong, it's impressive and a great base for a game, just curious because it seems more like a tech demo based on what's been shown.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't know, just seems like too huge of an undertaking for a single guy to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom