Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark and Light

kosie99

Novice
I know you lot do not like playing MMORPGs, but this ingame video of Dark and Light really impressed me. The world seems huge and I am an explorer/adventurer at heart when it comes to fantasy games.

You can even be a fairy and fly over mountains, etc.

Anyway, if you have not seen the E3 2004 ingame video yet, here is a link:

http://www.darkandlight.net/videos/E3_trailer_highdef.mpg

kosie99

Novice
Could some administrator please move this thread to the MMORPG forum? - don't want to upset fez here, you know.

Ah, I see it has been done, thanks.

redbomb

Novice
Meh, Dark and Light looks beautiful, but sounds boring. Odd, really.
A friend of mine played the closed beta (which is still oging on), and said it played pretty dtandard. Maybe they just hadn't implemented the highlight features yet, since this was in like, February.
Anyway, I'll pass on DnL.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Wait what

I remember the original dark and light, was a massive failure of crap code and missing features.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This actually looks somewhat interesting to me as I've always wanted a massive MMO with mostly sandbox features and open PvP.

Game obviously looks gorgeous with its UE4 engine.

Might consider downloading for Early Access to try, although I believe it's a whopping 50GB in size.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoy how a 12 year old thread is resurrected without any specific remarks about the fact, we just went on with our business

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is never too late to become a fairy.

sp32-20090424-184025.jpg

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Is this a survival/crafting game with some rpg elements or is it a real rpg with some crafting and survival elements? Is there going to be wipes?

Aothan

Magister
the overview sounds more like a typical craft-world rpg, if you mean advanced character systems being definitive of where a game can be identified in the rpg spectrum. The player reviews are reasonably positive, but that is normal for early impressions found on Steam and elsewhere

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
the overview sounds more like a typical craft-world rpg, if you mean advanced character systems being definitive of where a game can be identified in the rpg spectrum. The player reviews are reasonably positive, but that is normal for early impressions found on Steam and elsewhere

So a crafting game with no content then?

Aothan

Magister
possibly still too early to rightly say, but as a habit these days I don't really have much interest in mmorpgs until I know about the character systems and how much the game is craft based. To some extent the problem with crafting is how these areas of game design externalise and yet also homogenise 'gameplay'. A lesson I partially learned from playing NWN 1 & 2 onlne and yet continued in Aion. The former was okay for solo players who needed specific items of sufficient quantity (e.g. crafted enchanted arrows, always very useful for that type of game) the latter exemplifies why crafting is part of the bigger issue of affiliating with active guilds who organise around resource gathering or the odd chance a solo player can find a niche (or just presage the eventual but drawn out banning of bots)

anyway from the sum of reading the Steam page the game is very much in the wait and see phase for most interests besides enthusiasts or those who desperately want to join an open world game in the early access stages

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
possibly still too early to rightly say, but as a habit these days I don't really have much interest in mmorpgs until I know about the character systems and how much the game is craft based. To some extent the problem with crafting is how these areas of game design externalise and yet also homogenise 'gameplay'. A lesson I partially learned from playing NWN 1 & 2 onlne and yet continued in Aion. The former was okay for solo players who needed specific items of sufficient quantity (e.g. crafted enchanted arrows, always very useful for that type of game) the latter exemplifies why crafting is part of the bigger issue of affiliating with active guilds who organise around resource gathering or the odd chance a solo player can find a niche (or just presage the eventual but drawn out banning of bots)

anyway from the sum of reading the Steam page the game is very much in the wait and see phase for most interests besides enthusiasts or those who desperately want to join an open world game in the early access stages

I also look for the character system and how much the game is craft based. I have no interest in playing a game with no decent chardev. I also have no interest in playing games with no content, which is what survival and crafting games are (no content games).

Another strong hate of mine is any game that boasts a "player driven economy" by not having npcs that buy things. It means the hassle of gear being destroyed and needing to be replaced, the hassle of having to either craft or buy from players all equipment, and usually the hassle of having to run all over the place to buy anything. When I sit down to play a game I don't want to run across half the world to buy an item because the dev's want some hook for you to see a player's house. I want to kill shit and do quests, etc. Looking at a player's house or decorations holds zero appeal to me and I do not trust people who like that kind of shit. Its like Barbie dolls. I wouldn't trust a man who played Barbie dolls either. Granted, I have to play with them and have tea parties with my daughter but that isn't fun for me, spending time with her is. I would never have a fake tea party or play with Barbie dolls because I enjoy either. I think Anarchy Online became a much more enjoyable game when it added the GMI, etc.

Aothan

Magister
yeah I won't say we are identical but evidently there are similar inclinations as with a limited interest in apparently popular features, such as housing and the likes, I don't really understand the appeal but for whatever reasons it works for others, and so be it really

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
EQ has a player driven economy yet NPCs to buy and sell stuff as well. The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive and they aren't in at least a few MMOs I can think of. The housing thing is sad but apparently it is popular. It is The Sims which is one of the best selling games of all time, distilled into an MMO. It is Barbie in a doll house, but I guess that must be a large audience. Crafting I don't like and in single player games it is worthless. Although I have seen it done well in a couple of MMOs before. The worst thing is when the game just has no content, so they have you spend hours running around collecting crap like ground spawned plants and combining it to make an item, and they pretend that this is actual gameplay and content which it just isn't. But I've seen it done well like in Vanguard when you kill mobs and some of them can be skinned and harvested and turned into leather armor, or you kill a giant and it drops a sword for fighters to use, but it also drops a chunk of gold ore which can then be sold to a crafter who can turn it into a piece of jewlery in his crafting minigame. I think stuff like that is ok, it lets The Sims type people get involved in the game without just playing Barbie by themselves. And it also lets people who usually like to fight, have a break when they don't have time or focus to do a dungeon or whatever.

Don't know much about Dark & Light though. I remember reading about it back when it was first getting developed more than 10 years ago, and I read that Warriors will be able to take off their shield at the top of a big hill, and slide down the hill on the shield as a fast way of travelling. It sounds goofy but it reminded me of Midwinter which is a great thing.

Zibniyat

Arcane
:necro:

I've had this game in my .txt file of games to check at some time, and here I am - checking it. Apparently, the game was abandoned years ago, the developer has been silent for at least a year and a half. Too bad it looks interesting, and since I am not giving 15$ for a potentially unfinished piece of shit, I wonder if there is something here worth checking out. It appears to be an MMO but with a singleplayer component as well? I'm only interested in the latter.

Also, I can't believe this game was in development for whole 10 years and still ended up unfinished, and then abandoned, I can only imagine the developmental Hell it was in.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It got turned into a game similar to Ark, but it is buggy and dead and no more development. Some say it was worth 20 bucks to just play in single player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom