Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Disciples II

Fez

Erudite
This is the comments thread for <A HREF="/gamedetails.php?id=417">Dark Disciples II</A>

The sequel to the old-school freeware CRPG Dark Disciples. Includes an editor for constructing your own areas and quests or just to cheat in and poke around at the included adventure.

Codex Year of the Donut
any of you nerds play this? any good?
The game that surprised me the most in a totally unexpected way was Dark Disciples II, the freeware-RPG. The game looks so absolutely simple, even primitive from an aesthetic perspective - but gameplay is some of the best I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Great quests, interesting puzzles (some stuff I never saw in another game), a massive world with different cultures, lots of adventuring and exploring... I must have invested months in playing this game and have nothing but the fondest memories on it.

https://ancient-architects.com/?page_id=225
DD2 is much, much better than DD1. There are so many interesting puzzles and quests in this game and so different ways to approach them. Additionally the world is massive and varied, the exploration is great, the story is interesting enough and there is just so much to do. DD1 was a fine game but DD2 is brillant and entertained me for many, many weeks. I just began playing it one day without great hopes and got completely sucked in for a long time.

The game that surprised me the most in a totally unexpected way was Dark Disciples II, the freeware-RPG. The game looks so absolutely simple, even primitive from an aesthetic perspective - but gameplay is some of the best I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Great quests, interesting puzzles (some stuff I never saw in another game), a massive world with different cultures, lots of adventuring and exploring... I must have invested months in playing this game and have nothing but the fondest memories on it.

https://ancient-architects.com/?page_id=225
DD2 is much, much better than DD1. There are so many interesting puzzles and quests in this game and so different ways to approach them. Additionally the world is massive and varied, the exploration is great, the story is interesting enough and there is just so much to do. DD1 was a fine game but DD2 is brillant and entertained me for many, many weeks. I just began playing it one day without great hopes and got completely sucked in for a long time.
Yeah, even though my praise seems a bit overly ecstatic it is indeed that good, one of the finest RPG experiences for me. I still have to play Temple of Eternity though (which is basically DD3, even though the creator is another guy). This one seems to be even more elaborated than DD2.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Nope never heard of these before now, just came to say Fez was cool.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
My pleasure Gandalf ! :) Checking it out now and yeah, it's a nice little gem for sure! Very cool stuff here. Looking forward to more adventuring!

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. I have a question. I would like a spoiler-free hint or tip if someone here could give me one, it's about a password I can't figure out. Basically,
I am in Smuggler's Run, the tunnels beneath the Thieve's Guild, and a statue is asking me for a password. The only clues I got so far are someone posted a note saying the password is "TKBAQQMS" but the dialogue also said "obviously this is encrypted, but how do we decrypt it??". And then the Black Hand's boss's son was dead later in the dungeon and had a note about something something a cipher, and the code was 1,3,2,4. So if someone can give me a spoiler-free sort of hint or tip on this, would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks! :)

Acrux

Arcane
I played the first one a lot 20 years back or so. I haven't tried 2 and had completely forgotten these existed. Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it out now.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
think this is the website https://ancient-architects.com/?page_id=225

I'm still in the first town you visit after the intro gameplay and I'm having a blast with it. It's old school and cool yet simple to get into, with a wide variety of things to see, do and acquire. It sort of asks you to build your character via specialization a bit, whereas i spread out my skill points, but i'm still making good progress and the game overall isn't *too* hard. I started an LP for the game on my channel, feel free to check it out sometime. Peace! :)

Edit - Oh yeah, there are puzzles galore here. Some real tough ones and easier ones too. Deterministic skill checks, turn-based combat, several ways to interact with the world plus unique dialogue for a lot of unique events/interactions in the world make exploration a joy. Plus it's got actual MODULES as in like little D&D modules/campaigns BUILT IN to the game! lol. Pretty wild stuff actually. I'm currently in the level 3-5 module fighting against an evil secret cult. Oh, and the game has tons of secrets too! Lots of real good RPG elements here, which is always my main concern.

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
I played the first one a lot 20 years back or so. I haven't tried 2 and had completely forgotten these existed. Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it out now.

Same. The guys "company" was known as "Dodgysoft" back then.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The game is great. The only 'problem' is that if you come upon some issue with the game, you're stuck on a puzzle or something isn't right, good LUCK trying to find an answer online to help you. :-D Maybe the few of us in this thread who are playing or have played it can help each other if situations like that arise. Heck of a game though. Really impressive CRPG stuff here.

The game is great. The only 'problem' is that if you come upon some issue with the game, you're stuck on a puzzle or something isn't right, good LUCK trying to find an answer online to help you. :-D Maybe the few of us in this thread who are playing or have played it can help each other if situations like that arise. Heck of a game though. Really impressive CRPG stuff here.
Yeah, the game has some pretty challenging puzzles! But oh what unique and exciting puzzles it has! I still remember that one cursed village with its time anomaly... absolutely brillant stuff. I don't remember how I solved all puzzles but somehow I got to the end. I think there was a walkthrough available for download on the website though...

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks Ludwig von Eisenthal ! Please no spoilers though about future content, thanks. :) I grabbed the walkthrough but I let my friend download it too so I can just ask him my question and he can find the answer. I can avoid spoilers better that way. Cheers! Unique and exciting puzzles FOR SURE! The game itself is super unique and exciting. :)

Ladonna

Arcane
There is apparently a cluebook available for the 3rd game as well, but you have to contact the guy to get it.

:shocked pikachu face:

I did not even see that until checking the Games page after reading your post. This has become the Best Codex Thread of 2022 for me.

It was news to me until I checked the page out. But it isn't working when I click on the email link in the "contact" area.
I guess you have been on this site, right? Clicking on the email-address won't work as it's an image (to avoid bot activity I reckon). You have to manually type the email address.
I wrote the guy some weeks ago and we had a great chat about his game (DD3 alias Temple of Eternity) which seems to be even more intricate and complex and full of secrets and clever quest design. I still have to seriously play it myself (somehow DD2 left such a tremendous impact on me I never even tried to start DD3. The game had a similar effect on me like Grimoire had). He's a german guy who knew the original creator of DD1 and 2 (Jacques Levfebre or something similar). He's a pretty cool dude and very eager to help if you have a problem. He made the games running on modern OSs again. The original creator seems to have vanished from the net altogether.
If it's wished I can upload the walkthrough to DD3 too, must be here somewhere.

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
The original creator seems to have vanished from the net altogether.

That's a shame. I had an email convo with him years ago and he was very friendly. I guess this new guy is making the games using the DD2 creator software. Thanks for the heads up.

Would be handy to have the walkthrough for 3 too. Always good to have them in case some impossible shit pops up.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah please do upload the walkthrough for 3 Ludwig von Eisenthal , would be greatly appreciated. Also, I may go ahead and grab one of those cluebooks for 3 or any cluebook for the series i can find, I'm really into 2 at the moment and kinda blown away by how unique it is and the interesting RPG design. I think I mentioned I started an LP of 2 if anyone wants to check it out, here's Ep. 2, where the action begins (Ep. 1 I go over the manual a little.)

Ep. 2 -

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah please do upload the walkthrough for 3 Ludwig von Eisenthal , would be greatly appreciated.
Ok, I bundled everything regarding DD3 (Temple of Eternity) in a .zip. Cluebook, FAQ, Maps, Manual. Here you go.

Heyyy thank you so much! I can't wait to delve into this one too! Going to continue with DD2 for the meantime. I will also try to play the first game in the series but after I play 2 and 3. :)

As i've said several times now I feel much the way about Rise Of The Earth Spirits as you do! Seeing some stuff I've *never* seen in an RPG before, and the way it's built is pure class. Very slick design and professional. And when I saw that world map spanning 3 different continents, I was like :o! I'll shut up now and continue doing the LP. Thanks to rusty_shackleford for reviving this thread too, appreciate u guy! :salute:

Yeah please do upload the walkthrough for 3 Ludwig von Eisenthal , would be greatly appreciated.
Ok, I bundled everything regarding DD3 (Temple of Eternity) in a .zip. Cluebook, FAQ, Maps, Manual. Here you go.

Heyyy thank you so much! I can't wait to delve into this one too! Going to continue with DD2 for the meantime. I will also try to play the first game in the series but after I play 2 and 3. :)

As i've said several times now I feel much the way about Rise Of The Earth Spirits as you do! Seeing some stuff I've *never* seen in an RPG before, and the way it's built is pure class. Very slick design and professional. And when I saw that world map spanning 3 different continents, I was like :o! I'll shut up now and continue doing the LP. Thanks to rusty_shackleford for reviving this thread too, appreciate u guy! :salute:
I have to say I do envy you for the chance to experience this game for the first time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom