Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Envoy has switched to real-time combat, delayed to Q2 2021

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dark Envoy; Event Horizon

It seems like every real-time with pause RPG is getting a turn-based mode these days, so it's odd to see a game travel in the opposite direction. Yet that's exactly what happened to Dark Envoy, the technology vs magic-themed tactical RPG announced last year by Polish indie studio Event Horizon, who apparently decided in the end to remain in the comfort zone established by their first title, the real-time dungeon crawler Tower of Time. In the game's first proper development update since last year, Event Horizon announced today that they now aim to release Dark Envoy around April or May next year. They've put together a nine minute gameplay reel that showcases the current state of the game. It includes the intro cinematic and character creation along with an assortment of combat and dialogue scenes.

We’ve been very silent, we know. But when you’re doing a big puzzle, until the shape of the illustration starts to appear, there is little to show.

We think we have that shape to show now. So if you wondered how Dark Envoy will play, what is the world we are creating and how (and if) it is related to Tower of Time, below you can find the 9 min showcase of gameplay.

Dark Envoy soundtrack is composed by Dawid Majewski (also Tower of Time composer). For us good music is essential for storytelling, so we hope you like the few samples we put in the clip.

On the release date -- we're changing it 2021, aiming for April/May.

It's later than we hoped for, unfortunately, but we can release the game only when fully satisfied with the quality, to ensure that Dark Envoy is a game worthy of your time and which you will remember playing.

We're working now on finalizing the first few hours of the game, so we can share a free beta/demo with you. Join our discord channel if you're interested to try the game, we will do the beta invites from our community there.

https://discord.gg/qW636PF

We will share updates more frequently now, we have so much to show you and we're pretty excited about that.

Perhaps we'll see more of the new Dark Envoy at Gamescom this weekend.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I prefer turn based games generally, but if you recall this is what happened with Diablo, and it was a game-changing epiphany for them; and greatly improved the game. Some games are just better as realtime.

That said... I've never even heard of this one. My first question is... was this crowd backed? In such case switching combat style is a really bad idea. But if it's their private project, then they should be allowed to do as they see fit—no?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Everybody's talking about the combat and I'm over here like, why's the dialogue look like it was written for the after school special audience?

Codex Year of the Donut
I prefer turn based games generally, but if you recall this is what happened with Diablo, and it was a game-changing epiphany for them; and greatly improved the game. Some games are just better as realtime.

That said... I've never even heard of this one. My first question is... was this crowd backed? In such case switching combat style is a really bad idea. But if it's their private project, then they should be allowed to do as they see fit—no?
Because they already released a game with the exact same combat system they plan on using, and it was meh. The encounter design is the only thing that saved the game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Everybody's talking about the combat and I'm over here like, why's the dialogue look like it was written for the after school special audience?

Not my fault this time.

The opening narration is fine, but the dialogue between characters is... oddly modern for a fantasy RPG, and way too teenager-esque.

The devs are polish right? Maybe the original is better.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The combat encounters in the video looks like boring League of Legends skirmishes. Everything moves slowly.

And the maps look way too square/NWN1'ish. Maybe it made sense when the game was TB but now it just looks a bit cheap.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Tower of Time's combat was the drizzling shits.

Bleh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom