Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Envoy - guns n' sorcery RTwP RPG by Tower of Time developer

frajaq

Erudite
Any game similar to this one's premise (aka XCOM-like mechanics but in fantasy/steampunk settings) but already out there?

Deleted Member 22431

Upon closer inspection however, game is absolutely devoid of style.
It does have a generic art style. This generic art style seems a requirement to be well-received nowadays--see D:OS, for example. It is as if every cRPG looked like DOTA overnight. Depressing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Outside of a few aspects that *must* be changed from Tower of Time, like encounter design, random items and some character building stuff, I'm kinda hopeful. The ridiculous cover mechanics from nu-XCom make an appearance for some reason and it will just force combat arenas to have this really weird layout with a bunch of waist-high walls or whatever to facilitate the cover. It's pointless and adds nothing. The art style is a bit generic in ToT as well (it's basically the same thing here), but the setting is actually creative enough to successfully overcome that weakness.

Event Horizon

Event Horizon
Developer
Few new screenshots as an update - we're getting close to how the game will look like in the end.

ss_20798229e93f184f43701f63e6237831a4d7aae7.1920x1080.jpg

Turn Based combat scene (all UI turned off)

ss_27dfecb19202e26d0e73bbb1c08783b28159e813.1920x1080.jpg

A close up on our enviro and character models - they are exploring the area in real-time here.

ss_868372f616d7295a8e6f4140f3c59dee97446191.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f4ef2077a94dd1f20844ae261960550fccd26156.1920x1080.jpg

One of the city-locations. This one is a starting city - Pillars of Tyr-Mora, (locals call it City of Bones)

ss_c33259ca453c0a83dacfdf7f195c3a43835b5163.1920x1080.jpg

One of the bio-themes in game - we call it Dark Swamp. Here presented during the night.

ss_c8c596a9a644106fecf90e27647b3527e9a80322.1920x1080.jpg

Another bio-theme - Forest. Here we have day / end of day time.

Each theme will have day-night cycle with few lightning modes for each day/night period - that will impact the visibility, the importance of scouting and the enemies you can encounter

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Each theme will have day-night cycle with few lightning modes for each day/night period - that will impact the visibility, the importance of scouting and the enemies you can encounter
How did you manage to get me excited for a day-night cycle? I don't care, I can't wait to play your next game!

Event Horizon

Event Horizon
Developer
Thanks! It"s reassuring to get a confirmation from the external sources - as working so much on this already, we tend to loose the perspective.

Codex Year of the Donut
Graphics look great, especially for it being made by a small(?) team. I bought Tower of Time on Steam when it was in early access, can't wait to buy this.

Mazisky

Magister
I really like that there are many biomes with different light conditions (similar to Ufo:EU or Xcom2) but with the added value of gameplay implications.
Rain or weather would be the icing on the cake.

Are the maps procedural or handcrafted? If the latter, you'll need to make a nice amount of them to avoid stagnancy

V_K

Arcane
Every time I read "Event Horizon - developer", for a quick second I start rejoicing that Dreamforge got resurrected. Then I realize it's a different Event Horizon :negative:
The city looks properly city-ish at least, that's good.

Are the maps procedural or handcrafted? If the latter, you'll need to make a nice amount of them to avoid stagnancy
You mean the former, right?

Mazisky

Magister
Every time I read "Event Horizon - developer", for a quick second I start rejoicing that Dreamforge got resurrected. Then I realize it's a different Event Horizon :negative:
The city looks properly city-ish at least, that's good.

You mean the former, right?

If they are handcrafted, they need to be a lot in raw quantity.
If they are procedural, they need to have enough variation\pieces.

Bara

Arcane
Apparently this game will no longer be turn based. Or at least is in debate.

We are not happy with TB so far, feels too slugish and repetitive -- so we're experimenting now with Real Time with Bullet Time.

We try to make it very different than even done before - more tactical, with physics-based skills for nice combos and more flexibile approach to classes. We're not 100% sure yet - but it is far more dynamic and engaging than TB, but still it is not button smashing but more refined experience.

We'll post an update + some gameplay video soon.

This was posted back in May and as far as I'm aware they haven't posted a new gameplay video.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't see how going from TB to RTwP can improve a system that feels repetitive. If it is repetitive in TB, switching to RTwP will change nothing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Severely disappointed in the change. Tower of Time was no stranger to repetitiveness, so it's not the TB the problem. Maybe release a TB demo so we could give ideas about how to make it less repetitive instead of unleashing another abomination upon the world?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Apparently this game will no longer be turn based. Or at least is in debate.

We are not happy with TB so far, feels too slugish and repetitive -- so we're experimenting now with Real Time with Bullet Time.

We try to make it very different than even done before - more tactical, with physics-based skills for nice combos and more flexibile approach to classes. We're not 100% sure yet - but it is far more dynamic and engaging than TB, but still it is not button smashing but more refined experience.

We'll post an update + some gameplay video soon.

This was posted back in May and as far as I'm aware they haven't posted a new gameplay video.

Maybe they got the Bullet :)

Bara

Arcane
We'll even though I prefer turnbased over real time we've got a lot of turn based rpgs coming up for release in 2021 that I'm willing to give a shift back to real time a chance.

So long as its more baldur's gate with set pieces and areas to explore and fight in vs tower of times explore a cool map but every combat encounter is an instanced even where the fights are designed to be a multi-wave affair.

Like ToT was alright for me at the start but I got really bored of it.

Jinn

Arcane
Well, went from greatly looking forward to this to being mildly interested. Really hope they reconsider.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally an official update:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/945770/view/2766853536565770121

Dark Envoy 9 min Gameplay

Hello

We’ve been very silent, we know. But when you’re doing a big puzzle, until the shape of the illustration starts to appear, there is little to show.

We think we have that shape to show now. So if you wondered how Dark Envoy will play, what is the world we are creating and how (and if) it is related to Tower of Time, below you can find the 9 min showcase of gameplay.

Dark Envoy soundtrack is composed by Dawid Majewski (also Tower of Time composer). For us good music is essential for storytelling, so we hope you like the few samples we put in the clip.

On the release date -- we're changing it 2021, aiming for April/May.

It's later than we hoped for, unfortunately, but we can release the game only when fully satisfied with the quality, to ensure that Dark Envoy is a game worthy of your time and which you will remember playing.

We're working now on finalizing the first few hours of the game, so we can share a free beta/demo with you. Join our discord channel if you're interested to try the game, we will do the beta invites from our community there.

https://discord.gg/qW636PF

We will share updates more frequently now, we have so much to show you and we're pretty excited about that.

Cheers,
Event Horizon team

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Dunno, feels like Legend of Korra RPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom