Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Harthwain

Magister
I liked the story for Dark Messiah. I always thought it was fitting the kind of game it was. My only criticism was that they made it way too easy to side with evil, because they made the "good" sorceress act like a bitch about you not getting rid of the nice demon lady. That was, like, no choice whatsoever.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I liked the story for Dark Messiah. I always thought it was fitting the kind of game it was. My only criticism was that they made it way too easy to side with evil, because they made the "good" sorceress act like a bitch about you not getting rid of the nice demon lady. That was, like, no choice whatsoever.

Well, Leanna coulde be a bit less annoying, but otherwise I think it fits. The temptation of evil, and all. Unlike many games where evil choices end up looking extremely stupid from all angles.

Sykar

Arcane
Xana
c8337853aaf241e109c0e3a18689a00a.jpg

:bounce:

Mikeal

Arcane

Well Xana constantly proposes to kill Leliana so they're even.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
The only thing this game lacks is The Third Way option. Xana possesses the body of Leanna and you do all kinds of kinky shit with it.
Eat the cake and have it too.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I'm playing it right now and enjoying it, but there are some serious annoyances. The hitboxes are really messed up in this game. I've lost count of how many times my weapon passed right through an enemy without registering as a hit. It's particualrly bad when fighting Goblins.

Harthwain

Magister

Well Xana constantly proposes to kill Leliana so they're even.
Not even close.

Xana acompanies Sareth almost from the beginning. She's entertaining and cares for her host's well being, which makes her seem nice. If I remember correctly, she manages to save Sareth at least once. When it comes to Leliana there is literally no room nor reason to grow emotionally attached to her. She is very dull as a character and has to be saved by the player every step of the way, which doesn't help paint her in a good light. I only picked Leliana to see the other ending. That was literally it.

I liked the story for Dark Messiah. I always thought it was fitting the kind of game it was.

Agreed. I also like the fact that Arantir can come across as either the good guy or a bad guy depending entirely on which choice you made in the end. If you freed your father then Arantir was the good guy of the story, he tried to protect the world from Kha-Beleth, and while doing this would mean the deaths of everyone in Stonehelm it was the only option he had available. If you imprisoned your father then Arantir was one of the bad guys in the story, who was going to kill a city's worth of people unnecessarily and who obstructed you from locking your dad away properly. And since he had no way of knowing which option you were going to pick, it casts him in a favourable light as a pragmatic character who did what he believed was necessary for the safety of Ashan.

High quality antagonist.

Semiurge

Cipher
The giant worm in chapter 6...wtf? I don't remember it being such a POS to get past.

It's considerably easier to get past it if you have a shield with you. Otherwise its attacks will always succeed, as I recall.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wait!! Can we really take that advice from a worm avatar? I suspect trickery. I too would have liked it on gog. Considering steam.

Semiurge

Cipher
WTF'ed by Max Damage, indeed. Blocking the worm's attacks with a shield may negate most, if not all of the damage. Of course there should have been some stuff like big rocks to hide behind so that the shieldless can get by. It's been about 10 years since my last playthrough though.

You can get by just by running and using the hiding spots unless you're on Hardcore difficulty. On Hardcore you basically need either Sanctuary spell, Sanctuary scroll (picked up much earlier in the game, iirc in that chest past the platform traps in the upper temple, near the mana and health rooms) or burn a Ring of the Phoenix, since it can one hit kill you. Any other difficulty you can typically survive a hit from it if you're not naked, so just use a healing item or spell.

If you're running properly and using the midway hiding spot it will get no more than one hit on you - although if it does that hit while you're on the wooden scaffolding right after the halfway point cave, you can get fucked over by just falling to your death when the floor disappears.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The giant worm in chapter 6...wtf? I don't remember it being such a POS to get past.

It's considerably easier to get past it if you have a shield with you. Otherwise its attacks will always succeed, as I recall.

My memory of Dark Messiah is that the stealthy rogue type stuff made the game much harder. I remember thinking it was obviously designed around melee, with maybe some fireballs thrown in. I'm pretty sure I started as a rogue and then started over with a more normal melee guy. I could be wrong though, it was a long time ago. Maybe time for a replay finally...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom