Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always wonder why there aren't any big fan expansions for DMMM. It uses the Source engine which is quite easy to map for and there are probably thousands of fan made HL2 maps and campaigns! Did Arkane release the SDK too late or did fans have to made it themselves in the first place because Arkane didn't care, like with Bloodlines?

I was under the impression that the SDK was released pretty late.

Probably also didn't help that Dark Messiah got a pretty chilly press reception so never built much of a playerbase.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Probably also didn't help that Dark Messiah got a pretty chilly press reception so never built much of a playerbase.
Yeah, the game has always been a ghost.

Tried that Arena mod yesterday, hell what a rush! Certainly beats replaying story for the hundreds of times. It cannot be finished, unfortunately. The gates bug out on wave 97 and you can't finish the last 3 levels.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
It was fixed today apparently. I recommend to play it if you like the combat. Shit is crazy, 4 cyclops at once or 6 orc bosses but it also is surprisingly fair.

I always wonder why there aren't any big fan expansions for DMMM. It uses the Source engine which is quite easy to map for and there are probably thousands of fan made HL2 maps and campaigns! Did Arkane release the SDK too late or did fans have to made it themselves in the first place because Arkane didn't care, like with Bloodlines?

I was under the impression that the SDK was released pretty late.

A big part of why it died off was that the performance, specifically load times, was absolutely abysmal when it came out. You could easily be sitting there for ten minutes waiting for a multiplayer map to load. Singleplayer wasn't as bad but still took ages at the time.

Loads fast on modern computers, to be sure. But back then it was really, really bad. Enough so, I think, that it turned a lot of people off from sticking around and prevented the formation of a core multiplayer community to keep the game popular.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
A big part of why it died off was that the performance, specifically load times, was absolutely abysmal when it came out. You could easily be sitting there for ten minutes waiting for a multiplayer map to load. Singleplayer wasn't as bad but still took ages at the time.
Played it on a shitty laptop, it ran smooth like a shit through a goose.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Press F for our boi Garth.

20200823181634-1.jpg

deama

Prophet
I remember playing this back in... 2007 ish, around the release time. I indeed remember the load times being crap, I think it took minutes to load up a level, but those were the olden days of CRTs, HDDs, and I don't even know if I had the recommended GPU back then either lol.

Back in 2008-2009 I played the multiplayer, load times weren't an issue back then cause I got a new computer, and I remember the multiplayer being fun, was pretty similiar to overwatch but a midieval fantasy version of it, it also had level ups.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Back in 2008-2009 I played the multiplayer, load times weren't an issue back then cause I got a new computer, and I remember the multiplayer being fun, was pretty similiar to overwatch but a midieval fantasy version of it, it also had level ups.
There is a guy reverse engineering code to add coop for single player and bring back multiplayer.

Posts updates periodically, usually gets quite boring though because he mostly talks. TLDR for this one is that some original devs and valve are helping out with advice, progress is good, SDK improving, hopes to update balance for single-player campaign in coop one day (like adding more enemies) and reviving cut content devs dropped because of deadlines, also that encouraging comments help a ton.

deama

Prophet
There is a guy reverse engineering code to add coop for single player and bring back multiplayer.

Posts updates periodically, usually gets quite boring though because he mostly talks. TLDR for this one is that some original devs and valve are helping out with advice, progress is good, SDK improving, hopes to update balance for single-player campaign in coop one day (like adding more enemies) and reviving cut content devs dropped because of deadlines, also that encouraging comments help a ton.

Oh shit that's pretty good! I'd love to play the singleplayer with a friend!

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Completed the game several days ago. Pretty fun ride. It's more action than rpg, however different builds make a difference in how you play and proceed through levels.

It's also completely free of political correctness. Not really offensive or anything, just not caring about that stuff. Xana is sexy and happily uses this fact to influence the PC. Leanna is also sexy, but uses her 'gifts' without giving it much thought. While they are both powerful, there comes a time when they are also vulnerable and beg our hero for aid/mercy. These choices influence the ending, so take them seriously and consider your decisions (who you'll be shagging after the final credits).

Visually the game still holds up, despite somewhat blocky NPCs and enemies. The environments are cool looking and more importantly full of secrets.

It's an enjoyable little game, great for changing palette between more robust, turn-based rpgs which seem to release every week recently. Check it out, it's really cheap those days.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
It's funny that the giant spider is an optional boss, they must've realized they went too far with the spider tower. You don't even get amazing loot from that fight, only experience (?).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's funny that the giant spider is an optional boss, they must've realized they went too far with the spider tower. You don't even get amazing loot from that fight, only experience (?).
Not really. Iirc you have to do the spider if you want the ending path where you hook up with the human girl (which is necessary to get the holy weapons, which are the strongest ones in the game).

Check it out, it's really cheap those days.
Dark Messiah was my first steam purchase, iirc got it for 10 euro. Really good purchase, multiplayer was pretty fun too.

Max Damage

Savant
Yep, you need to rescue Leanna after killing giant spider, otherwise you can't purify yourself, church will be closed.

Semiurge

Cipher
Okay. But that's still "optional". Maybe even "suboptimal". Who needs that blonde manjaw helga.

82db18c38f51f98946e98709717fc036.jpg

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I gave up on trying to choose the "good path" because of still hearing the demoness's voice lines after the purifying ritual, as if nothing happened. This was on the last official version I believe.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Is there a way to play this godforsaken game without the camera shifting all over the fucking place? Take out a weapon, camera bob, land from a jump, camera bob, throw something, a whole shit ton of camera bob, because I can't have control of my own fucking neck in a first person game apparently. Clearly the entire damn screen has to shake up and down every time I pull out my primary fucking weapon, that's just good game design.

Someone at Arkane Studios has a semen demon of their own whispering in their ear to put this shit into their games. "Mmm, make half the screen dimmer every time they crouch, and don't let them disable it!! I'll reward you HANDSOMELY if you make their camera glitch into their own body every time they have the audacity to walk up a ramp or crouch! It's not acceptable unless the players are vomiting on the floor after even trying to play the game!" All in all Arkane Studios is harboring the IRL Antichrist. This is what he'd do, a constant stream of petty things that niggle at you until you kill someone. Anyone here ever read Perelandra by CS Lewis? There's a part in that book where the Devil's plans are mostly ruined and so he resigns himself to torturing the protagonist by constantly repeating his name ceaselessly, and whenever the protagonist broke down and responded, the Devil would just say "nothing", and this lasts for several days so the protag can't sleep. That's Arkane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom