Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Generic-Giant-Spider Unwanted

Unwanted
    Replayed this for the first time since 2017. I forgot that every enemy is Havel on crack cocaine which makes all your attacks feel weightless, the amount of DS1 jerking off is worse than I remember and the Bloodborne-style movement feels retarded.

DS2 really does shit on this game.

Anyways I still maintain my ranking for the DS games are DS2 > Demon's Souls > DS1 > DS3

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Brofist x 5
    • Shit x 3
    • not sure if serious x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    DS2 will forever be trash.

• Agree x 4
    • No x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • meh x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    NO U!

Gottem!

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Silva Arcane

Silva
    To be fair to DS3, they try to explain the "where were all those places before they started convergin" by saying the world has been this mess of new civs piling up over old ones again and again for eons, to the point the land became this irrecognizable jumbled shit. That said, yes, they failed miserably to pass across the idea, while the other games in the series had some degree of success at it (DS1's "twilight of the world", DS2's "oblivion and loss of identity", BB's "unknowable truths leading to madness", etc). In this sense, DS3 is the most "empty" of all games.

^ Top  
  5. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    Recently spent about twenty hours going through the Cinders overhaul mod. It improved the game somewhat but I found myself asking why I wasn't playing Dark Souls II or Bloodborne instead. No amount of enemy placement changes and rebalancing will change that DaS3 has the worst content among all the recent From Software games. Honestly I feel like one game in that universe was enough for me, DaS2 felt like a King's Field sequel rather than a follow-up to Dark Souls so maybe I was just prepared to hate a continuation of Dark Souls no matter what.

The only good thing I'll say about Dark Souls 3 is that I like the increased speed and it doesn't look like shit because the intended aesthetic wasn't gutted last minute because of it needing to run on console hardware from 2006. Part of me feels bad shitting on this one so much because I always got the sense that it was rushed. Some of the cut mechanics like time of day, placing down your own bonfires and some sort of world tendency system would've improved it I'm sure but it wouldn't change the zones and bosses all that much.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Silva Arcane

Silva
    I disagree that DS3 doesn't look shit. It's color palette and levels (forest swamp, poisonous swamp, that cathedral) makes me wanna puke.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Yeah and on top of that I get very annoying texture lod transitions. Shit keeps popping in few meters in front of my character. At least DS II doesn't have that shit and has some color variety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Dark Souls 3 is without question the worst of the Souls games, except Demon's Souls Remake. I can't force myself to replay it today, it's just too linear and boring.

• Agree x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Puukko Arcane

Puukko

We're getting into total conversion/modder insanity territory. The results will be unpredictable, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested.

• WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kruno Arcane Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Kruno
    People call me retarded for loving PhillyD but you are far more retarded for not loving DS3. DS3 doesn't have all that good level design, but dear God does it have a ton of content and a lot of interesting combat.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Yep. Crucifiction woods looks like a PS2 game in some parts.

BTW, that's something that made me wary of Elden Ring so far. From the screens it looks to have that same "greyish hue" DS3 has.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    a sloppy joe I can dig

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    ^ Top  
  13. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    I played the Convergence mod for a few hours and it seems very promising. Where Cinders is more restrained, this completely overhauls several systems, expands areas (new bridges), switches bosses around and introduces new ones as well as adds plenty of visual flair. It's all very impressive stuff though it is still a WIP. Equally impressive is the hit to performance because damn, I had to make some sacrifices and I still can't hit a stable 60 on my ol' 1070. Now, I did add a relatively heavy Reshade preset (https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/544?tab=files) which in my opinion looks fantastic and greatly improves upon the normally washed out look. Still, there's something in need of optimization with this mod because most of the settings gave me precisely 0 fps benefits besides shadows and resolution which I had to drop down to a measly 900p. If you've got a beefy GPU though, these mods combined make for a near generational leap in the visuals.

For those unfamiliar, Convergence specifically focuses on the magic system, introducing new schools and making a magic focused playstyle more viable and interesting. I started as a necromancer, meaning I get to summon skelly lads, who are unfortunately fittingly braindead in terms of AI. They love getting stuck and attacking thin air and vary a lot in terms of usefulness. The devs probably did their best with what they had to work with, and you get an item to force your minions to target an enemy, and they also have pretty good damage output, so if they are positioned well, they can do some hefty cleave.

I won't spoil the bosses too much, but Vordt has had a substantial increase to difficulty without just turning him into a damage sponge, while the replacement for Rotwood is still thematically fitting for the area and entirely custom as far I can tell, not using any previous boss as a base. He's also there to tell you to git gud and to remind you to upgrade your stuff. You won't one shot this one. It's cool to have a Souls experience be actually difficult again.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Wherein Mapo figures out the whereabouts of Archdragon Peak

^ Top  
  15. Puukko Arcane

Puukko

• sheeeeiiiit sheeeeiiiit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    This is pretty much the correct tactic to beat Amygdala as a player, too.

^ Top  
  17. praetor Arcane

praetor
    jesus fuck, this looks as awful as the soundtrack to the trailer sounds, with the crappy transition to the kiddie myspace "death metal" at the end. why the fuck do these guys think adding tons of breakdancing moves to the combat is a good thing? modders, maaaan...

seems like Stayd3d's DS2 improvement mod is the only decent thing will be getting for Souls (and the only we really need, honestly)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Dark Souls: Nightfall and Dark Souls 3: Archthrones both look very promising too. Everything else seems like a bit too much though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    [​IMG]

I can't help it. I may be one step away from being a lich, but that doesn't mean I'll pass up on my ol' trusty lightning spears.

The lich form spell would have made this absolutely busted - it gives you 2x HP along with other effects while making spells cost HP, but the devs forgot to enable that effect for holy miracles, making them free. That and the darkwraith summon doing absolutely nothing were the first two definite bugs that I encountered.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    Nearing the end of Convergence. Still got ringed city left, but DLC scaling seems to be barely existent so I am not expecting it to be difficult. I am not a challenge run or self imposed limitations kind of guy, but I may end up doing something of the sort for this final stretch because the mod is definitely on the easier side now. Cinders was similar, but the biggest walls were still towards the end of the base game with Nameless King and Aldrich giving me serious trouble. Here, the big walls appeared in the early to mid game, with the rotwood replacement, Abyss Watchers (yes, really) and Champion Gundyr replacement being the toughest. Cinders had an easy way to give enemies more stats which is something I did intermittently - here, the handicap options are pretty severe, such as 75% less hp or damage dealt, or no FP regen (though many people seem to be of the opinion that the default regen in the mod is too much) so I'm not sure I'll use those. I may simply opt to forego lightning spear cheese for starters.
    Perhaps mix up my spell selection a fair bit.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    ^ Top  
  21. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Replayed the game with jumpy assasin (+another 60 hours).

If played immediately after DS2, the difference in art direction, colors and consistence is striking. DS3 feels more "adult" and realistic. Extremely beautiful also.

Ringed City PVP is still the best.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    FTFY

• Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Imagine actually preferring colors in DSIII. :lol:

• sheeeeiiiit sheeeeiiiit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Yes, I prefer to play the dark story about the end of the world in bleak setting and not in the retarded fairy-tale palette.

• Funny x 2
    • Fishy x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I prefer grimdark to Disney too but first, DS2 is not fairy-tale, and second, DS3 is not grimdark, just bland and washed out. Entire levels are just a vague blob of beige and grey.

Have you played Mortal Shell? Now that's an awesome bleak, stark vibe without being boring and sad. Also Ashen is kindda cartoony but some levels and dungeons have some of the best vibe in any vidya.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.