Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

dunno lah

Arcane
Remember the Red Eye Knights in Demon Souls' 1-1? They were badass. You have to go out of your way to even agro the guy and if you're good enough you can take him down.

1365590-redeyesknight.png

Only viable melee tactic at the start is to backstab it until it dies.
First time I played I abused the AI and avoided breaking the barrels on that long staircase in the tower nearby, which 9/10 would cause it to try and charge me without touching the barrels and cause it to fall to its death.

You mean like this?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Remember the Red Eye Knights in Demon Souls' 1-1? They were badass. You have to go out of your way to even agro the guy and if you're good enough you can take him down.

1365590-redeyesknight.png

Only viable melee tactic at the start is to backstab it until it dies.
First time I played I abused the AI and avoided breaking the barrels on that long staircase in the tower nearby, which 9/10 would cause it to try and charge me without touching the barrels and cause it to fall to its death.

You mean like this?

yep

Amn Nom

Learned
Played Scholar of the First Sin (second time for DS2) through and it reminded me how much I enjoy these games. Really hope they take more influence from the first with the health system. Being able to spam 300 soul life gems kind of kills any challenge outside of bosses.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I hope the enemy attack animation follow will be changed. I hate when enemies change position or direction during their attack without a visual cue.

Kanedias

Savant
Here's the Dark Souls III Edge Interview

http://imgur.com/a/hwo5f

Tanimura is doing some map designs with me, and he's giving me advice on how we should manage bringing across some elements from Dark Souls II. While I was supervisor on Dark Souls II, I made sure to keep my distance, so his advice is very valuable to me.

Tanimura showed what he's capable of in the Dark Souls II DLC, so I'm glad to hear this.

Ivan

Arcane
I'll say it again: Crown of the Old Iron King is the pinnacle of the entire series (Bloodborne included)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'll say it again: Crown of the Old Iron King is the pinnacle of the entire series (Bloodborne included)

No. You keep on spamming this shit but it's simply no.

Artorias of the Abyss is at least on par if not better.

Brume Tower is actually full of various gimmicks and things to do. AotA is mostly a straight path to Manus. AotA has better boss design but shit everything else.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Brume Tower is actually full of various gimmicks and things to do. AotA is mostly a straight path to Manus. AotA has better boss design but shit everything else.

I don't say I'm not agreeing with you but I'm not completely sure about this.

The area's design is nice but I would not call it great considering that they clogged it with HP bloated mobs.

12 pieces for the Bride of Ash Soul is not fun. Why not 24 if we go that route?

Many players have missed Sir Alonne because he's optional. He should have been positioned prior to Fume.

For me this area is simply convoluted for the sake of it. Anyway fuck it. It's the best area from Dark Soul 2.

I'd go a step further and say Crown of the Iron King pretty much trumps AotA on all fronts.

AotA level design is decidedly below median for Souls games. The Dark Chasm is rushed crap and the Royal Woods are a reskin of Darkroot Garden minus the inter-connectivity that made it interesting to traverse and the moonlit forest motifs that made it puhwetty to look at. The "best" area is the Township, which is a mostly linear romp towards the Dark Chasm, filled with the same "encounters" Dark Souls 1 recycled over and over: clusters of hidden meleed00ds placed to punish players sprinting through the level and (multiple) ranged attackers in awkward spots, like enclosed rooms or while doing tightrope walks.

Brume Tower blows this out of the water. There's a ton of verticality in the level design, plenty of elevators to turn on, hidden alcoves to drop into, walls to destroy with explosives, and all sorts of other cool stuff.

AotA enemy design is rather lacking. The Humanity Phantom is one of the laziest designs in the entire series and everything else is some sort of one-dimensional meleed00d or a Bloathead Sorcereress, which mostly did nothing but spam Dark Orb (it almost never casts Dark Fog). Oh, and there's an invading phantom with a cool, but ineffectual special attack.

Contrast with the inhabitants of Brume Tower. Sure, the Ash Soldiers are rather generic, but the Fume Sorcerers, Iron Warriors, and Possessed Armors are terrifically designed enemies, some of the best in the series. The Barrel Carriers and Crawlers are interesting in the way they play around with environmental fire as well as fire attacks, giving the player a chance for easy chain kills or to do tons of damage to other enemies if they're smart about it. And the way in which everything interacts with the different Ashen Idols is a stupendous way of mixing up enemy encounters and melding the explorative and action elements of the game together; finding more Smelter Wedges allows you to "turn off" enemy buffs, curse zones, regeneration fountains, and Firestorms.

Bosses are really the only area in which AotA can even come close, and I'd still give the edge to Crown of the Old Iron King, even though the entire boss roster of the DkS2 DLC would be more appropriate given that AotA sold for twenty KWAbucks and each DkS2 DLC retailed for ten KWAbucks.

Both Fume Knight and Sir Alonne (along with Burnt Ivory King) do the "player-versus-knight" fight a lot better than Artorias. They both have movesets as deep and comprehensive as Artorias (if not moreso), and are far more fun to fight repeatedly due to the way they're attacks are less predictable; both can branch out their combos in different ways and slightly alter the timings of their attacks, having a variable amount of frames between the startup telegraphing of their attacks and the execution. That's huge in a game that basically reduces to dodge/block->jab, forcing the player to pay attention as opposed to run off of muscle memory. Faster action games like Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Bayonetta, etc. can get away with consistent windup into attack animations because they're blisteringly fast, but a slow-paced series like Souls doesn't have this advantage. "B-Team" (lol @ this pejorative and the people that use it unironically) came up with a really solid solution.

And this is coming from someone who loved Artorias forall the Devil May Cry references he sported (mostly notably Stinger and a "Devil Trigger" complete with the trademark purple aura and a DMC#-style DTE).

Kalameet was fun, but Sinh (in Sunken King) was a much better dragon fight, probably about as good as Souls games are going to get...they're not built to handle Dragon's Dogma types of shenanigans. Sanctuary Guardian was forgettable, kind of like Blue Smelter (who at least had the sweet windup-to-attack frame variance, even if he was a legit reskin). And Manus was overrated trash, unpopular as that might be to state.

I could probably continue this comparison with things like itemization or visuals, but I don't think it's really necessary at this point. AotA really doesn't compare well.

subotaiy

Cipher
Could you perhaps move this to one of DS1/2 threads ? Any time I see new posts here I'm expecting news of DS3, not your sperging.

Ivan

Arcane
Manus is ok. I just finished it with a 2 hand run and his swipes are so ez to dodge. The only thing that almost got me was some weird aoe attack that comes from the outside in.

Artorias is great though, so long as you don't shield cheese him and learn his moves and dance and hit.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow why do you think Manus is trash? He's fast, aggressive, has a lot of moves and combos at different ranges, spells that you need to deal with in a specific way, and his attacks all have different timings (unlike Artorias, who can always be dodged the same exact way). Also looks really cool and menacing, making the fight feel very intense. He's definitely the most difficult boss in Dark Souls 1, and I'd argue, also the best. Certainly better than anything in Dark Souls 2 DLCs 1 and 3.

[offtopic]
toro I feel like some of those are personal annoyances since I never had any trouble with ashen idols or HP bloat (ashen warriors die in 2 hits for me). Making the player waste a wedge on the first idol is 2trole4me.

Edward_R_Murrow Manus/Artorias have plenty of great combos and moves. I also agree that different combo chains and changes in attack timings are great in all DLCs. Blue smelter gave me a lot of trouble before I got used to the extremely delayed swings.

People complain about Sinh "flying too much" but that's the point of the boss - surviving long enough to kill him during small attack openings. You can still bait his flame attack and minimize flying.
[/offtopic]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Probably it was posted before but one thing must be emphasized: dedicated servers + SL online matching. This would be sweet if true.

DeS/DaS2/BB all have dedicated matchmaking servers. I wouldn't expect them to do anything different this time.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
DeS/DaS2/BB all have dedicated matchmaking servers. I wouldn't expect them to do anything different this time.
I didn't watch the video, but if they say they're going to use dedicated servers, that's layman's terms for authoritative servers, as opposed to cloud servers that they used in DS1 and DS2. It used to be that two or more players were connected to the cloud, each one sent his position and the servers only relayed that information to other hosts. Of course DS2 also had VAC, which prevented outright cheating, but it didn't help against the lags much.

Authoritative servers mean client-side movement prediction, server-side smooth movement interpolation, etc. The server is going to be the one to decide many things like if the stab happens or not, and just generally manage medium/high ping much better. Should make things run much smoother and punish idiots with their torrents on. Think of Quake/Counter-Strike servers.

Last edited:
My point is that they said "dedicated servers" before releasing DaS2. I don't expect Souls PvP to ever move away from P2P.

VAC in DaS2 was in effect for a few weeks after release and was never really implemented well.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Some hype.

Edit: Forum post:
Can't wait until this "impressions" bullshit stops. No one gives a shit about what your collection of fanboys have to say about the game. Kim Jong-un has more credibility.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
mayn, these "famous" souls personalities look like even bigger doofuses than they sound like (and they sound like marketing plants)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom