Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun Series

Wened

Educated
I just installed Dark Sun (gog version) and have few questions. Any helpfull ansvers will be much apriciated.

1. I noticed that on char creation i can max my stats and hp without roling. Is it supposed to be like that? Are there any reasons not to do it? (aside from spoiling my fun because game will be less dificult)

2. I heard that dialogue in game can be affected by 3 things. Charisma score of party leader, if he is psionic and if he is thief.
Is there anything else?

3. Is there cloth robes for spellcasters? And can druids use them (they can't use armour afaik)

4. Do i gain much if instead of multiclassing my casters i make tham human gladiators and later dual class them to casters? And on which lewel should i dualclass?

5. Can thieves backstab witch longswoirds or only witch daggers?

6. Is this ok party?:

Leader: Mul Fighter/Psion/Thief (max Cha for dialogue)
Giant Fighter/Psion (once i bump his dex he will be dualwielding :) )
Halfling Fighter/Druid (Fire sphere cause it has better spells i heard)
Elf Fighter/Preserver

7. Druids can't use armor. But can Fighter/Druids use armor? If they cant than maybe i should make a Tri-kren F/D

Last edited:

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
all of your pcs should be triple-multiclass except for half-giants who should be fig/psi (because psis use wis and con) (half giants get 24 str and double hp so it's well worth having at least one).
spellcasters with a fighter multiclass can use good armor and weapons so theres no need to use cloth
ive never used dual classing in this game and i doubt it works as well as multiclassing
don't sell the really big gems :P

edit: everyone should always dual wield since there are no penalties at all

Wened

Educated
change the half giant to fighter/cleric and you should be ok

Why? I already have druid and they are suposedly better (no bug witch missing high level spells)

all of your pcs should be triple-multiclass except for half-giants who should be fig/psi (because psis use wis and con) (half giants get 24 str and double hp so it's well worth having at least one).
spellcasters with a fighter multiclass can use good armor and weapons so theres no need to use cloth
ive never used dual classing in this game and i doubt it works as well as multiclassing
don't sell the really big gems :P

edit: everyone should always dual wield since there are no penalties at all

LoL. Mages can cast in hevy armor?

Your party needs a bug (Thri-kreen)

I heard they are good at the begining (AC and extra attacks) but once i find good weapon and armour they lag behind cause they cant equip arms and armor.

Last edited:

Wened

Educated
I understand why i should tripleclass (level cap). But by my understanding psionics are way op and make this game too easy. So maybe i should go:

Half-elf Fighter/Thief
Half-Giant Fighter/Cleric (Fire sphere?)
Halfling Fighter/Druid (which sphere?)
Elf Fighter/Preserver

It's more classic (i do not like psi powers in fantasy) and i won't be tempted to use any op stuff that psions have.

kmonster

Augur
Thri-kreen are still very powerful at the end of the game. They still get an extra paralyzing bite attack per round if they use weapons. It's far more useful than the missing equipment slots, especially if you consider that there are 3 others to use this stuff.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For most of the games it doesn't really matter much which party you choose, since the game is quite easy.
And then comes the final battle, and you regret not exploring fully what all items and spells do...

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
1. I noticed that on char creation i can max my stats and hp without roling. Is it supposed to be like that? Are there any reasons not to do it? (aside from spoiling my fun because game will be less dificult)

From the GoldBox games this feature purportedly should allow players to put their own AD&D characters into the game, what I suspect though is that it's an early example of fan service.

Sinatar

Arbiter
giphy.gif

Cael

Arcane

From the GoldBox games this feature purportedly should allow players to put their own AD&D characters into the game, what I suspect though is that it's an early example of fan service.
GoldBox games practically require you max out relevant stats and not roll a few 1s for HP. They are pretty brutal combat-wise and substandard characters (by GoldBox standards, natch!) get runned over like a possum.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I beg to differ.
The only place you need a max stat (DEX for Initiative) is the final battles in Pools of Darkness.

Generally DEX is the most important stat. CON is nice, but not that important, and STR will eventually be gigantic with the long lasting Enlarge spell or Girdles of Giant Strength.
As for HP, all the games except PoR give you higher than average HP increase when leveling up.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I beg to differ.
The only place you need a max stat (DEX for Initiative) is the final battles in Pools of Darkness.

Generally DEX is the most important stat. CON is nice, but not that important, and STR will eventually be gigantic with the long lasting Enlarge spell or Girdles of Giant Strength.
As for HP, all the games except PoR give you higher than average HP increase when leveling up.
You haven't played the Krynn series, then.

Also, I have rolled 1 for hp in the Savage Frontier series before.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I beg to differ.

You haven't played the Krynn series, then.

Only thrice.
Never maxed out stats or savescummed HP.

Waterd

Augur
Yes, to save you infinite rolling i think its fine, the proper way to play though is to roll once and go with it.

2. I heard that dialogue in game can be affected by 3 things. Charisma score of party leader, if he is psionic and if he is thief.
Is there anything else?
it's possible i missed something but unlikely. if there is is something irrelevant and just cosmetic.

3. Is there cloth robes for spellcasters? And can druids use them (they can't use armour afaik)
No, spellcasters depend on spells for armor and trinklets.

4. Do i gain much if instead of multiclassing my casters i make tham human gladiators and later dual class them to casters? And on which lewel should i dualclass?
No

6. Is this ok party?:

Leader: Mul Fighter/Psion/Thief (max Cha for dialogue)
Giant Fighter/Psion (once i bump his dex he will be dualwielding :) )
Halfling Fighter/Druid (Fire sphere cause it has better spells i heard)
Elf Fighter/Preserver
As long as you have a preserver and a druid/cleric in a team, any team is ok. I think you need a druid/cleric and a preserver to stand a chance in the final battle. The rest of the game you can really beat it with any team.

7. Druids can't use armor. But can Fighter/Druids use armor? If they cant than maybe i should make a Tri-kren F/D
Fighter druids can use armor, if some class can use it, then it can.

Saduj

Arcane
Agree on the end battle being way more difficult than the rest of the game. Unfortunately, on my 1st attempt, I had a party of single classed characters. There were a couple of battles where I reloaded but nothing too bad. Then I got to the final battle and just couldn't beat it. I think I had a preserver and cleric in that party but it just wasn't enough. Two psions, a druid and a preserver will probably do it though.

There is really no reason not to put three classes on all your characters unless you you've just run out of useful combinations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom