Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun Series

Ringhausen

Augur
Remember to play the organ for extra lulz.

I think I did. Don't remember what happened though.

But I'm now at the end of the game, the genie teleports me to the desert and.. nothing. The Draj army doesn't spawn, which blows. Is there any way to fix it?

Also I have to say that the combat was damn easy. I don't know if I did something wrong, maybe maxing the stats, multi-classing and playing on balanced was designed for wimps. I could just punch my way through most fights. The only hiccups were Dagolar, Balkazars guards and wyverns which killed my giant in one hit.

ALSO how do you get over these walls?

oo_50
oo_50

oo_50
oo_50
oo_50
Untitled7.jpg

I skipped a few dungeons because I couldn't figure it out. But this game is definitely worth replaying someday.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That endgame bug seems really to plague the game. I have no idea why I never got it! Shame this was never fixed...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
But I'm now at the end of the game, the genie teleports me to the desert and.. nothing. The Draj army doesn't spawn, which blows. Is there any way to fix it?
Do you have a save from right BEFORE you enter Teaquetzl for the last time? when you can no longer get out without being immediately taken into the ruins? If yes, upload it somewhere where I can get it. I have a theory to test, but never had the patience to play through the whole game again to do that.

Also I have to say that the combat was damn easy.
I just hope I can fix the final battle bug. Not just because I'm a bro and I like to help people, but also to make you eat these words :smug:

ALSO how do you get over these walls?
Did you reunite Tynan and Tristram? This is required to go everywhere in the temple.

I skipped a few dungeons because I couldn't figure it out. But this game is definitely worth replaying someday.
It definitely is. Which dungeons couldn't you figure out though? There were some things I couldn't figure out either the first time, but by the second run I had a full playthrough (minus a couple of things that not even the cluebook knows how to deal with, such as the Sword Blank and that weird totem thing that the two crazies worship outside the Wyrm)

Ringhausen

Augur
That endgame bug seems really to plague the game. I have no idea why I never got it! Shame this was never fixed...
It's particularly infuriating because I didn't face any serious bugs beforehand. Just can't get to the damned boss fight.

Do you have a save from right BEFORE you enter Teaquetzl for the last time?

I had no idea the endgame was going to be then and there, so my last saves are inside the ruined city and from long ago unfortunately.

I'm still fairly certain my guys would've punched everything into puddle and asked for more in the final fight. That health draining sword being duplicated by the genie, the strength enhancing items - crazy power.

As for the walls I think they were both in the dungeons you find beneath the towns. So the town that's held captive by the wizard, beneath the well, there's a shadow there that doesn't say anything important and then the wall. I could even hit one of them so I thought maybe the pick axe would do it but nope. There were some other head scratching parts, like the treasure beneath the dragons eye. I tried the shovel, tried the metal detector - nothing. Oh well.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
What seems to cause that bug - as far as I can tell - is when the hermit or whatever it is in that area doesn't fully leave before you do on a previous visit. No idea if it's fixable.

I'm still fairly certain my guys would've punched everything into puddle and asked for more in the final fight. That health draining sword being duplicated by the genie, the strength enhancing items - crazy power.
Nope. I found the game to that point as easy as you did - with the exception of Dagolar, which was utterly piss-easy thanks to mass domination - and... nope.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, I've seen multiple explanations for that end game bug but I haven't tested any of them. I think one of them had to do with that magic wand you get that can talk or whatever. It happened to me last time I played too.

Also I wrote an essay on Dagolar's lair on Monday for a game design class I'm taking. The essay's terrible because I did it in 15 minutes but it was cool to see it next to a bunch of awful essays on Halo and Gears of War or whatever. The class is awful and I wish I wasn't taking it though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
As for the walls I think they were both in the dungeons you find beneath the towns. So the town that's held captive by the wizard, beneath the well, there's a shadow there that doesn't say anything important and then the wall. I could even hit one of them so I thought maybe the pick axe would do it but nope. There were some other head scratching parts, like the treasure beneath the dragons eye. I tried the shovel, tried the metal detector - nothing. Oh well.
As I already said, you need to reunite Tynan and Tristram. If you talked to Tynan (accessible through Teaquetzl well) then he would've told you what needs to be done.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
my wife is using the Roland MT-32 for Dark Sun Shattered lands, and I won't experience MM3 with anything less than the best.
She should be using a Gravis Ultrasound, as that's what DS1 was made to work best on. Then you get your MT-32 back.

No can do. I don't have a machine in my house that can handle the ISA...they're either too old or too new. I'm stuck with external sound modules all the way. I'm just glad that modern computers have so far retained the compatibility with them.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
No can do. I don't have a machine in my house that can handle the ISA...they're either too old or too new. I'm stuck with external sound modules all the way. I'm just glad that modern computers have so far retained the compatibility with them.
The DOSBox GUS emulator is pretty good, mainly because the way the GUS used RAM to upload sound samples makes the the ROM dump much more faithful to the original than with say the MT-32 (where the inital ROMs were terrible). I would suggest trying that mode. I personally found the music in DS1 sounded a lot better with GUS than it did with either MT-32 or SC-55 (in GM mode, which the game also supports).

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Neat! I'm going to have to give that a spin. If it actually sounds better, though, I'll shit my pants. Everytime she boots up that damn game I can barely remain seated, the desire to do a jig is so great.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The DOSBox GUS emulator is pretty good, mainly because the way the GUS used RAM to upload sound samples makes the the ROM dump much more faithful to the original than with say the MT-32 (where the inital ROMs were terrible). I would suggest trying that mode. I personally found the music sounded a lot better with GUS than it did with either MT-32 or SC-55 (in GM mode, which the game also supports).

So Gravis Ultrasound is generally better than Roland sound?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
So Gravis Ultrasound is generally better than Roland sound?
I meant in DS1 specifically. Edited the above post to make it clearer. Generally speaking Roland is better, mainly because very few games were composed specifically for the GUS.

But, what Jaesun said.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
But with the MT-32(LAPC1) you get the cool wind sound as well as the Applause sounds when playing Dark Sun. :smug:

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Mhokay, I tried two different ways, Gravis 4.11 and the pro patches 1.61. I liked them both leaps and bounds above that disgusting sound blaster emulation, they just didn't sound as good as the Roland sounded. The Roland's got this "wah-wah" in the opening credits that's just too much fun, and the sharp bits are sharper with it. This is definitely personal preference, though. I think the Gravis emulation sounds awesome on Dark Sun, just the Roland adds some emphasis and sass here and there, and I've grown quite fond of that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Here is an audio comparison of the DOSBox Gravis (with the PPL116 drivers/instruments) and a MT-32/LAPC1 (Roland CM-500 MODE B):

I still like the MT-32/LAPC1 better. The Gravis DOES have some fucking sweet sounding instruments though.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mhokay, I tried two different ways, Gravis 4.11 and the pro patches 1.61. I liked them both leaps and bounds above that disgusting sound blaster emulation, they just didn't sound as good as the Roland sounded. The Roland's got this "wah-wah" in the opening credits that's just too much fun, and the sharp bits are sharper with it. This is definitely personal preference, though. I think the Gravis emulation sounds awesome on Dark Sun, just the Roland adds some emphasis and sass here and there, and I've grown quite fond of that.
You should be getting Wake of the Ravager today... hope you like it even if it wasn't in the best of condition for a Codex Bro :salute:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I forgot how SNES-looking the graphics of the Dark Sun games were :lol: I remember them having less spastic walk animations.

Reminds me of Albion, too. These games were so much more fun than the FR gold box games.

Saduj

Arcane
What seems to cause that bug - as far as I can tell - is when the hermit or whatever it is in that area doesn't fully leave before you do on a previous visit. No idea if it's fixable.

Nope. I found the game to that point as easy as you did - with the exception of Dagolar, which was utterly piss-easy thanks to mass domination - and... nope.

Yeah the boss fight was a bitch for me too. On my 1st playthrough, I didn't multi-class at all. Got through the game no problem and then couldn't win the last battle. Had to start over with a multi-classed party to ensure I had enough magic to throw at the end..... Duplicating the draining sword does surpisingly little for you in that fight although I still think that is the best wish....

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
You should be getting Wake of the Ravager today... hope you like it even if it wasn't in the best of condition for a Codex Bro :salute:
\

It may not be perfect, but IS in VERY satisfactory condition, though. I used those $5 you sent me as refund to support that Charles fellow and his wonderful Swords and Sorcery game. As much as I'd like to, I can't just live in the gaming past, got to support the incline in whatever form it comes.
Here is an audio comparison of the DOSBox Gravis (with the PPL116 drivers/instruments) and a MT-32/LAPC1 (Roland CM-500 MODE B):

I still like the MT-32/LAPC1 better. The Gravis DOES have some fucking sweet sounding instruments though.

My sentiments upon hearing those two side-by-side exactly. Damn cool of you to upload a comparison for members of this Esteemed Gentleman's Club without the means for hearing those golden Midi notes properly.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands is next on my play list, so two quick questions while I'm reading the manual:

1. Is the pregenerated party good enough?

2. Is there any way to get a grid in combat? Also, no opportunity attacks?
With the difference that Dark Sun is stricktly turn based, the combat feels closer to the combat of the Infinity Engine games than the Gold Box games' combat did.

BTW, a crossbreed of Human and Dwarf is called a "Mul"? That is cringeworthy...

Saduj

Arcane
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands is next on my play list, so two quick questions while I'm reading the manual:

Don't remember the pre-gen party but I would recommend dual or multiclassing at least a couple of guys and having at least 2 characters that can cast preserver spells. It may seem like overkill until the very endgame but I found it necessary. The level cap is pretty low too so you'll max out early if you don't.

Gozma

Arcane

Why? It's a reference to mules (and I remember they were supposed to be sterile like mules too). Kind of Dark Sun doing a realist poke on generic fantasy/sci-fi interbreeding where everything is a pure 50/50 analog blend.

Any party is good enough because the game is really easy and not level-scaled (so you can just go around finding the path of least resistance until you get enough power ups to do anything you can't do right off). You might have to refight the final battle multiple times until saving throws cooperate I guess.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I think the instruments are much better on the MT-32 actually (though they're SO much better on GUS compared to shitty OPL). But I don't like the way some of them sound derpy, esp in the main menu theme, whereas the equivalent tone is much more subtle with the GUS. The applause makes me very butthurt though, as it does seem the MT-32 score was a major one and not a simple adaptation as I had originally suspected. Of course now it makes me want to go back and see what it sounds like on the SC-55...

It's a pretty easy game so you can probably do with it, though I never tried. Much more fun to make your own though.

2. Is there any way to get a grid in combat? Also, no opportunity attacks?
With the difference that Dark Sun is stricktly turn based, the combat feels closer to the combat of the Infinity Engine games than the Gold Box games' combat did.
No grid and no attacks of opportunity. The latter of course works both way - enemies can and will walk around your fighter to go hit your squishy mage. Combat still has a unique tactical layer not found in any other D&D game IMO because fights can take place over HUGE distances (Western Oasis is a good example, if you got the violent route) and so the non-damage spells see a lot more use than they would otherwise.

Muls are regarded pretty lowly in-universe so it's not too far fetched.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom