Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Waters (NWN2 mods)

Erebus

Arcane
Dark Waters is a series of three NWN2 modules (very closely linked, especially the second and the third ones). It's pretty hard to describe, because it has tons of diverse things, but I'll give it a try.

You start as a level 1 PC, with two companions who'll remain with you during the whole series (a ranger and a wizard). At the start of the first module, you're just a young (wo)man living in a village on an isolated island. Your life and future prospects aren't exactly exciting. Then you discover the subterranean citadel of a pre-cataclysm civilization (that island you're living on used to be a mountain) and you get the memories of one of its inhabitants. During the rest of the module, you'll be exploring the citadel, discovering many things and looking for a way out.

In the second and third modules, you'll be travelling to other islands to gather keys and pieces of a map that are supposed to lead you to a mysterious treasure. These modules are much less focused and linear than the first one : the quest for the keys and the map is mainly a reason for you to encounter many different places and challenges.

Dark Waters is a highly hybrid series. There are times (such as the beginning of the first module and some islands) when it is very close to being an adventure game. And there are also plenty of mini-games : naval combat, a spelling game, a game similar to Magic the Gathering, Lute Hero (seriously !), a game of tower defense, etc. It's really quite amazing what the makers of the mods managed to do with the NWN2 engine. I didn't find all of these mini-games to be equally entertaining, but you usually don't have to spend too much time on them if you don't want to.

The story's rather focused during the first module. It tries to be too many different things in the second and the third ones, but it's not that much of a problem. The quests we face on each island tend to be rather independent from one another, but they're usually creative and enjoyable. I remained entertained during the whole series. The atmosphere also varies a lot (though the second and third modules are largely inspired from pirate stories).

The characters are interesting and the dialogue entertaining (and often pretty funny). It's worth noting that there are plenty of minor original elements, such as the jewels you can use to enhance your equipment or the psychic powers you can discover.

The difficulty's not usually very high, but the non-linearity in the second and third modules mean that it can vary a lot depending on which quests you decide to do first. By the end of the series, I had reached level 10.

There's a fatal bug that sometimes happen in the second or third module (loading screens keep freezing). It's apparently rather rare, but it happened to me the first time I played the series and forced me to give up.

Other than that, I'd really recommand Dark Waters to those who haven't played it.

Erebus

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
a spelling game
Sounds awesome.

It's actually one of the mini-games I liked. You're exploring a mystical library and you can use letters to form words that will create magic effects to fight all the monsters around.

Malakal said:
BTW is this based on the cartoon?

What cartoon ?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Erebus said:
Andyman Messiah said:
a spelling game
Sounds awesome.

It's actually one of the mini-games I liked. You're exploring a mystical library and you can use letters to form words that will create magic effects to fight all the monsters around.
Huh. That sounds kinda cool.

Malakal said:
BTW is this based on the cartoon?

What cartoon ?
Pirates of Dark Water. It was almost as good as Centurions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirates_of_Dark_Water

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Adam Miller puts out some good shit when he's not being too distracted by going "look what I can do with scripting, ma" to make something actually fun. I was worried about which side Dark Waters would fall on, but from general feedback it seems to have come out pretty well, so it's on my play list.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I played the first one and it was.... ok. The second one was far better and pretty cool.

Erebus

Arcane
Jaesun said:
I played the first one and it was.... ok. The second one was far better and pretty cool.

The first module is really very different from the second and third (which might as well be a single module). I like all of them, but I understand why some may find the first module to be a bit boring : it's rather linear, with a lot of flashbacks and not many choices to make.

I'd never heard about the "Pirate of dark water" cartoon until now. As far as I can tell, it hasn't inspired the modules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom