Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darker/explicit/disturbing Rpgs

Sakura Dungeon is nasty.

cg_35_jewelry2_01BAM3PQQYTXKA7PGY19GDZGHM.png

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Aleshar - World of Ice, very gory
It's brutal as well. Cardiac arrest: the game. It's a game that I try to finish almost 20 years, and made a progress just about 70%.
Blind Justice, you're a shapeshifter who was experimented on by the government
How far you progressed in the game? I tried to play it once or twice, but encountered some bugs or something, can't remember now.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
More than I now remember:
Shadowcaster, the game itself isn't that messed up, but when you read the story that comes along with it, in the strategy guide of all things, you realize how fucked up things became in that game.
Elvira/Waxworks, adventure/RPG hybrids that don't skimp out on the gore.
Psionics, shareware gorey dungeon crawler set on a space station where they're doing experiments on psychics, aka, you.
How far you progressed in the game? I tried to play it once or twice, but encountered some bugs or something, can't remember now.
I think the furthest I got was way, way long ago, back when I still had period accurate hardware and the demo, not advancing a single place. I think it crashed pretty quickly after starting. Speaks wonders about the stability of that game. I should give it another shot I guess.

Kichikuou Rance- Haven't played it but has some pretty gruesome stuff. Best of all the MC was actually written by a female
Rance X- When it gets translated in about a decade

Himegari Dungeon Meister- MC is an demon king trying to regain his former glory. There is a LAW and CHAOS route although you do sick stuff in both of the routes.Only has an interface translation
Arterial of Origins- MC gets transferred to another world and is drawn into a greater conflic and must decide his course of action. The LAW route is a fluffy lovestory, NEUTRAL route focuses on the plot and in the CHAOS route MC turns into a r*pe meister. The three routes are also very distinct in terms of mission structure. Only has an interface translation

curds

Magister
Can't think of any genuinely disturbing RPGs (and I doubt there actually are many, if any) but here's a few off the top of my head that attempted to be at least somewhat gritty:

Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV (haven't played Tactics or 4 - the first is probably the most genuinely dark, FO3 tries the hardest).

The Witcher 1 and 2 (haven't played 3).

Vampire Bloodlines. Edgy in a camp, tongue in cheek way.

Dragon Age: Origins made a pretty weak attempt at being grimdark. Haven't played the other DA games.

Age of Decadence and Prelude to Darkness. Neither are disturbing, but they both have a dark, almost noir-ish feel to them.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Stardew Valley

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom