Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon II

Poseidon00

Arcane
New artstyle is plain bad. Everyone is way too bulky. Man At Arms barely looks human.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What is sad is that this style is a deathblow to DD modding scene and custom classes. Players keep coming back to DD to try new custom classes released by the talented modding community, and this 3d approach will basically kill it. This game will not have the same legs as DD.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
image.png

:prosper:

New artstyle is plain bad. Everyone is way too bulky. Man At Arms barely looks human.

New art style is literally the exact same one in the original game...but now in the dungeons you don't have squat Chibi versions of it for almost everything. I say almost everything, because in that Fist of the North Star, sprite based Final Fantasy kind of way bosses are shown bigger and not in the Chibi style in the original game.

This complaint of how this game looks in comparison to the previous one is just fucking stupid to me, they both have the exact same knockoff Mike Mignola art style. I could kind of get this bitching and shock over the dungeon stuff not being the Chibi versions anymore if the original game didn't also already have characters drawn regularly too, but it did; hell, you can even see art of the hero character classes in the game not drawn in their Chibi forms. It's the same art style, and they're coloring the characters in the exact same way they colored them in the original. It's not even some super dramatic shift from the Chibi look of the original game to the normal proportioned look now since they didn't go as crazy with the Chibi thing as they could have. It's very Western Chibi, they didn't exaggerate as much as normal Chibi stuff, but the Darkest Dungeon characters in the Dungeon are something like four heads tall; now they seem to be six, which is still smaller than normal.

What is sad is that this style is a deathblow to DD modding scene and custom classes. Players keep coming back to DD to try new custom classes released by the talented modding community, and this 3d approach will basically kill it. This game will not have the same legs as DD.

This is a dumb complaint too. Some of you act like people don't makes mods for 3D games. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if this game has the player base of the original it's probably going to have more mods, since modders won't have to fuck around with Spine or whatever it is they used to animate the characters. This is a fuckin' Unity game, you might even get more drastic mods than just new characters out of this one. The move to 3D may mean you don't have all the exact same people making mods, but I can't see modding being a problem simply because of the 3D.

Last edited:
About Darkest Dungeon 2 - I am not sure I will be getting it. I have to see how much do they change the game first.

While it is possible to remove excess grind from Darkest Dungeon formula, there was some stuff I felt was severly underdeveloped and I am not certain the sequel will improve in these areas (rather, I expect the developers to go with "more" over "better", with only slight tweaks). What aspects I am talking about?

1) Sanity - All it really does is mess up your action economy. It lacks gameplay effects that really make you question your sanity (The Consuming Shadow is the prime example here. Another good example - although not really related to sanity as such - would be HellSign). Imagine that enemies can move across the map in real time (could be sticking to some random patrol pattern, similarly to how guards move around Invisible Inc.), meaning it is possible for your party to avoid them or bump into them. Now add extra darkness and footsteps. Your party stops moving, but you still hear the footsteps. Is the enemy closing in or moving away? Or is this merely a "trick of the mind"? One of the scariest experiences in video games for me was playing Thief: Deadly Shadows. There is a mission in an abandoned orphanage where you clearly hear footsteps behind you AFTER you stop moving. When you turn around nothing is there, of course, but the psychological effect was tremendous.

2) Scouting/Exploration - The maps are way too small. You shouldn't be able to explore everything as easily as you can in Darkest Dungeon 1 and you shouldn't "teleport away" when you finish the mission. On top of that, scouting doesn't really do anything interesting and there is no real room for error on the part of the scouting hero (it's a binary result). This is huge missed opportunity in itself, but evenmoreso considering how a scout that's low on sanity could mess up with the player's head (messing up directions without knowing it, scouting less further ahead than ordered but not informing the player about it, etc.).

I feel like "this is a huge missed opportunity" is something that can be said about basically every aspect of Darkest Dungeon.

Jinn

Arcane
Sweeny continues the fight for fair and even game distribution practices!

What a hero of the industry.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Wow, they really needed to be an Epic exclusive? The first one wasn't like, a huge success?

From a game that has been ported to every toaster to an Epic exclusive. Excellent move to broaden the market and please the previous fans.

Last edited:

copebot

Learned
The bad design decisions kind of make sense now. They're getting their Tim Sweeny sponsored Epic Basic Income. No reason to make something that people actually want.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

You mean people keep jerking off to anime coomer classes.

Harthwain

Magister
It was known for quite some time that Early Access will be an Epic Exclusive. The full release should be available everywhere though. Unless something has changed.

But, yeah, I don't get the people who claim that Epic practices are supposedly good for the industry. Somehow.

flabbyjack

Arcane
It was known for quite some time that Early Access will be an Epic Exclusive. The full release should be available everywhere though. Unless something has changed.

But, yeah, I don't get the people who claim that Epic practices are supposedly good for the industry. Somehow.
Well they just won a big court case against Apple's monopolistic practices. So we got that going for us. Oddly enough, Apple is claiming (via PR ofc) that the loss of the lawsuit is actually a big win for them.

Edit: Darkest Dungeon only $4 on Steam. IDK about the DLCs tho.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Still stunned how shamelessly they ripped off Mignola's art style. Like literally copying specific markmaking

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

You mean people keep jerking off to anime coomer classes.

There is plenty of that for sure, but there are many classes that are legit - Ronin and Conquistador being good examples.

Gradenmayer

Learned

New art style is literally the exact same one in the original game...but now in the dungeons you don't have squat Chibi versions of it for almost everything. I say almost everything, because in that Fist of the North Star, sprite based Final Fantasy kind of way bosses are shown bigger and not in the Chibi style in the original game.

This complaint of how this game looks in comparison to the previous one is just fucking stupid to me, they both have the exact same knockoff Mike Mignola art style. I could kind of get this bitching and shock over the dungeon stuff not being the Chibi versions anymore if the original game didn't also already have characters drawn regularly too, but it did; hell, you can even see art of the hero character classes in the game not drawn in their Chibi forms. It's the same art style, and they're coloring the characters in the exact same way they colored them in the original. It's not even some super dramatic shift from the Chibi look of the original game to the normal proportioned look now since they didn't go as crazy with the Chibi thing as they could have. It's very Western Chibi, they didn't exaggerate as much as normal Chibi stuff, but the Darkest Dungeon characters in the Dungeon are something like four heads tall; now they seem to be six, which is still smaller than normal.

This is a dumb complaint too. Some of you act like people don't makes mods for 3D games. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if this game has the player base of the original it's probably going to have more mods, since modders won't have to fuck around with Spine or whatever it is they used to animate the characters. This is a fuckin' Unity game, you might even get more drastic mods than just new characters out of this one. The move to 3D may mean you don't have all the exact same people making mods, but I can't see modding being a problem simply because of the 3D.
Not having old Chibis is a decline then. It looks way less stylish than the previous game and lost it's grim comicbook-ish look.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom