Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon II

Yoomazir

Educated
It's early access release date and EGS exclusive.

You know the game's gonna be shit when it becomes a Epic exclusivity.
What was the last Epic exclusivity deal, that Saints Row "reboot"? LMAO

Generic-Giant-Spider

Crusader will probably be some enemy/boss because whooooaaaa did you know the CHURCH and those of FAITH can be easily CORRUPTED? So new and cool. Never thought of that one.

Gradenmayer

Learned
How the fuck are they going to ship this game without Crusader and Vestal? I blame Epic Games, Covid, and rusty.
They will add more before the actual release. 9 heroes shown are early access material.

Also game will release on Steam right after exiting early access, for those who were mad about Epic store.

Generic-Giant-Spider

One of the newer trends I've noticed in these games that do a gothic or dark fantasy approach is trying to deny the warrior of light archetype being the posterboy or being in the game to begin with. Take Diablo for example, they've made their token melee hero the Barbarian. It's a game where you fight the Devil and if you thought of a knight-in-shining-armor then you're wrong because it's actually some fat muscled mountain man that will deliver us all.

It's coming to the point where making a game that plays it straight with a Good vs. Evil angle is going to be more original than the hundred attempts to shake things up needlessly.

Harthwain

Magister
I didn’t even like DD1 that much and I still feel disappointed.
I did like it and I am disappointed too, because so far they don't seem to be innovating enough. Most of what I can see is some fancy new coat of paint and while I admit it is fancy, I am more interested in spicing up the gameplay, because there is a lot that could be improved from Darkest Dungeon 1.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
One of the newer trends I've noticed in these games that do a gothic or dark fantasy approach is trying to deny the warrior of light archetype being the posterboy or being in the game to begin with. Take Diablo for example, they've made their token melee hero the Barbarian. It's a game where you fight the Devil and if you thought of a knight-in-shining-armor then you're wrong because it's actually some fat muscled mountain man that will deliver us all.

It's coming to the point where making a game that plays it straight with a Good vs. Evil angle is going to be more original than the hundred attempts to shake things up needlessly.

Leftard attempts at being subversive while in reality simply indulging in their hangups and grudges.

And they very much are leftards, considering the stronk womyn and nigs in DD1.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Crusader is probably the one who died in the battle with the Heart of Darkness.
His helmet is on the poster, in the lower right corner. R.I.P.

2dd_jgvs.png

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Just like the first one I like the visual direction and art style most. It seems fairly similar to it overall, i'll probablly get it at a discount if ever, the RNG can be infuriating in the but for some reason it doesn't keep pulling me back like BB.

Salvo

Arcane

2dd_jgvs.png

White Male Crusader saving everyone? In this day and age?

Yeah nah, he either got merk'd or was corrupted, can't have a normal hero's journey in 2021

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

2dd_jgvs.png

White Male Crusader saving everyone? In this day and age?

Yeah nah, he either got merk'd or was corrupted, can't have a normal hero's journey in 2021
hey, the crusader's got a helmet covering all his face and wears gloves, so he could be of any race

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Stealing everything not nailed down was most notable crusader thing in first game so i say he was either gypsy or nigguh.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Just like the first one I like the visual direction and art style most. It seems fairly similar to it overall, i'll probablly get it at a discount if ever, the RNG can be infuriating in the but for some reason it doesn't keep pulling me back like BB.

Battle Brothers was quite a bit better. At first I lose men left and right as I learn the game and struggle with no experience and no equipment, and as a core of men come through I began to learn their names finally. It does an outstanding job at making me give a shit about my troops. Darkest Dungeon never made them feel like more than just a template. Its got a great art style and does a lot in terms of atmosphere, but it didn't stay with me. And some decisions like restrictions on entering apprentice level dungeons when at lvl 3 strike me as odd and infuriating. Just stop experience growth if they want the player to try riskier stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom