Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon II

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've clocked in over 500 hours in DD...

...and I want(ed) to like this game, but eventually it all falls apart. :(
That eventuality must've not come all that soon. Sounds like the game is better value than any recent game.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Champion level dungeons aren't even that hard when you have a decent team of adventurers. The problem is that, unlike in lower difficulty dungeons, when you get unlucky, no amount of skill will save you from it. You will lose your characters before you can do anything, and make it almost impossible to continue the dungeon.

Last edited:
From the sound of it it's moving away from the town management part, which seems like a bit of a shame as basically every aspect of that could have used improvement and been better fleshed out. It would've been nice to see a Darkest Dungeon 2 that better thinks out basically everything from the first game.

Hopefully this new one has some actual animations as opposed to that flash looking shit. Actual cel animations (I'm assuming they've got some money now) with its whole Mike Mignola art style would look so fucking good. They could also get quite a lot of mileage out of that on the marketing side of things, like Cuphead did. The flash kind of thing wouldn't even be so bad if the moving parts were upped and the fidelity of the image was better.

Kind of surprised they seem to be going with the same classes as the first game if they're going what looks like a Mountains of Madness route. If that is what they're doing it seems like this game would have character classes based on stuff that ranges from 1800s to the 1930s, like the original game had classes ranging from late 1100s (like the Leaper being based on Baldwin IV) into the 1600s and 1700s with the Highwayman.

Despite being extremely underwhelmed and disappointed with Darkest Dungeon I am interested to see how this turns out, as the idea of it was good, the execution just sucked. Hopefully this time it doesn't.

Black

Arcane
Could be great if they manage to do something about the grind/repetitiveness of the first one.
No. Just no. DD is still my worst purchase on Steam.
21124.jpg
In his defence, plague doctors are some of the most prestigious creations ever.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Problem with DD is that at it's core it's just a glorified mobage and fixing it would require a full overhaul of the mechanics.
"although Darkest Dungeon's combat system will be returning in a recognizable but "tuned-up" form, the studio is focused on creating a "completely different" structure for its metagame"
It sounds like they will be using a structure similar to Banner Saga where you must always push forward. Knowing the tone I'd expect the scars you obtain along the way will be front-and-center.

My hope would be that choices (and some random chance) from the journey push characters through a form of class tree.

No. It's fine.

Maybe the animation is fine in comparison to Clutch Cargo.

For the simplified squat characters in the dungeons and the simple colors they've got, it wouldn't be that hard to actually animate the characters frame by frame, especially with the almost no animation (and recycled animations) Darkest Dungeon has. Shit, you're looking at those fucking characters just standing there in the dungeons so fucking much that they should have really nice idea animations like fighting games have.

This is all using the same technique, one game is getting a little more mileage out of it than the other.

latest
rD7qLSu.gif
manatarms.gif

jf8350143

Liturgist
The simple animation of DD has it's own charm, and it's much easier for the mod creater to make their own character this way. I don't see the reason to change that. Mod is what keeps DD alive for so many years, they would only double down on this aspect.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Kind of surprised they seem to be going with the same classes as the first game if they're going what looks like a Mountains of Madness route. If that is what they're doing it seems like this game would have character classes based on stuff that ranges from 1800s to the 1930s, like the original game had classes ranging from late 1100s (like the Leaper being based on Baldwin IV) into the 1600s and 1700s with the Highwayman.

Agree with you on this, having the same classes as first game is extremely disappointing, there is so much opportunity to go with "Age of Exploration", ie. 1800s aesthetic, given the theme of mountaineering, arctic exploration, whatever they are planning on doing... Scientists, botanists, conquistadors, scruffy sailors, prospectors etc. But I guess they have to keep the old ones like Plague Doctor, because hipster nerds.

Regarding the graphics/animations, dunno why you would choose to sperg out on this? Its the only thing that everyone agrees on being good about the game. As already said the 'simple' animations have their own appeal, and there is a LOT more chance of getting new heroes/monsters if they stick to the same style that they are obviously proficient in.

I'd say the style of the characters has its charm, the extremely limited and lazy "animation" does not. Those Dragon's Crown animations are also simple, they're moving a still drawing around the same Flash Animation way Darkest Dungeon does it, it's just Darkest Dungeon isn't extremely lazy about it. Darkest Dungeon animations are so limited, and the characters so simple, I'm actually a little surprised they even do it the way they do because there's little point in it. Anyone that can draw the character out in the first place could properly animate it in no time too. Child of Light is another example of a game that animations in the exact same style as Darkest Dungeon too, only far better.

Making stuff shit so some mod has an easier go at making something that looks similar seems like a bad way to go about things...unless Red Hook is getting some mod money out of it.

Seethe

Arbiter

Generic-Giant-Spider

I feel obligated to say that Dragon's Crown sucked and was inferior to god tier beat 'em up Shadow over Mystara.

Edit: I'd still bang the Sorceress.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/talking-darkest-dungeon-and-darkest-dungeon-2-with-red-hook-studios

In a special interview episode of Axe of the Blood God, Kat sits down with Red Hook Studios developers Chris Bourassa and Tyler Sigman to talk about the making of Darkest Dungeon, the creation of its iconic characters, and its troubled ports to other platforms. Along the way, she gets some fresh insight into Darkest Dungeon 2, including how Red Hook Studios intends to tackle the story behind its growing universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom