Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darkest Dungeon II - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Space Satan, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Parsimonious cook Erudite Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    I sympathise - DD made me update from Windows XP back in the day, when I downloaded the first EA version and found out that it wouldnt run on my old system.

• nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Heh. It was worth it though. Darkest Dungeon during early access is very fun. I dumped so many hours in the builds I managed to torrent from popular tracker sites - even if they were behind the official build versions; which is why I ultimately ended up purchasing it.

^ Top  
  3. Zariusz Savant

Zariusz
    So Antiquarian is now an enemy?
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ibn Sina Savant Patron

Ibn Sina
    Strap Yourselves In
    She was always a bitch.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Gypsies BTFO

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gradenmayer Learned

Gradenmayer
    Played DD1 a long time ago and thought high stress instantly put you on a death door, not 20% HP.
    Though, After spending more time playing, I am inclined to agree with you.

Relationship system is trashy. There is no indication to what can cause it to increase or decrease from run to run and it, just by itself, can force you to lose without any control over it (retards in group yell vague shit like 'do better', after ally oneshots with crit).

They added this combo token system, that half of the upgraded skills rely on and there is only handful of skills that generate it.

Driving through obstacles on the coach decreases hope for some fucking reason and with how that shit controls, it's annoying as fuck. Make that shit drive itself and just let player click on the direction. It feels more like a coated loading screen, than an actual mechanic.

Retards added death doors for enemies with 5 round limit you mentioned on top, so using any buffs or set-ups is discouraged. DOTs not killing corpses is also an unnecessary amount of tedium added on top.

Speaking of tedious- they could not fucking bother to add three syllables to each status icon or something. Look it up on a page of statuses, I guess.

Theme of hopelessness and madness is still there, teammates turning againts each other, refusing to help anyone, disruption their own allies even in the face of their death sets the atmosphere really well.
    Though they need to adjust a lot of it still, because some runs you have 4 goodies wipe out everything with power of friendship. First game had more consistency in that regard, I will give you that.

I still think with a lot of work they can turn this into a good game though. First game sucked huge one in early access too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Parsimonious cook Erudite Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah, the first DD changed significantly during the long EA period, so there is some hope Red Hook will fix the most retarded shit at least.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Salvo Savant

Salvo
    Not with the sycophantic fanbase they have they won't

^ Top  
  9. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ibn Sina Savant Patron

Ibn Sina
    Strap Yourselves In
    Here are my final thoughts on the game

postives:

1)individual character lore, backstories and missions that somewhat play like puzzles is cool
    2) graphics and animations are cool
    3) music and sound is so so

negative
    everything else about the game. the combat, the rogue like theme, the relationship mechanic , etc. They got rid of all the RPG mechanics and this game should not be considered an RPG anymore.

• decline x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. copebot Learned

copebot
    I think people liked the emergent appearance of relationships in the dialogue and written interactions of the first game, so they assumed that a convoluted system around that fluff would make it better. That was the wrong way to interpret it. People liked the illusion of relationships, but I don't think any game has ever had compelling relationship mechanics. The concept just does not apply well to games in the way that something like combat does. They should have just added more barks or more responsive barks to varying conditions instead of encumbering the game with something this goofy and unnatural.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Gradenmayer Learned

Gradenmayer
    Message from devs

[​IMG]

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    "Darkest Dungeon 2 was made by a team."

Translation: "I think we hired too many women."

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. copebot Learned

copebot
    This kind of messaging is missing the points made by critical fans. It's fine that they wanted to make a different game, borrowing from the brand equity of the first title. It's their right to do so. Fans are critical because the new iteration isn't that good. For example, I don't think anyone moaned that Hades was not like Bastion. Perhaps it's not exactly analogous because Supergiant did not attempt to draft off their previous successes and developed entirely new themes to go along with their new games and systems. It's hypocritical to deliberately cause customer confusion by titling it a sequel instead of making it clear that it was a spinoff or a title with totally different gameplay and then to decry the customer reaction because many have been confused about why this is not actually a sequel.

The problems also aren't necessarily just in the execution or the presence of balance issues: it's the bad core ideas. Fortunately, there are a number of other indies that have already made good to acceptable versions of "DD2" even when the actual developers and IP owners decided to make a spooky dating sim with the shitty wagon mechanic borrowed from Oregon Trail.

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ibn Sina Savant Patron

Ibn Sina
    Strap Yourselves In
    Not only that, but the game's namesake "darkest dungeon" when there is no dungeons in the game.. at all. there is no spelunking, finding treasure in rooms, fighting bosses in another room, no exploration.

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Actually come to think of it, what is the actual story in this game? DD1 made it clear about you inheriting a real shitshow that you're tasked to clean up, DD2 you're... going to a mountain? Why? Why do I care about that?

Hey, why is Wayne June back to begin with? Wasn't he the Ancestor from last game? Isn't he supposed to be gone? What the fuck.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I never had much attachment to the art style, backstory or character design in the first game, I mean, they were all whatever placeholders for the gameplay, no? It's not like they had much of a personality or anything.

Disappointing that whatever new formula they've cooked up may not be up to scratch, I suppose I might try it later but it's a missed opportunity.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Act 1 boss spoilers:

Show Spoiler
    It's a galaxy brain thing with four padlocks holding it in place. The padlocks on close inspection have a theme/motif that suggests they are dead or sacrificed heroes from the previous game. They are Vestal or Crusader (it's a Cross so hard to tell), Houndmaster, Arbalest, Abomination.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The Houndmaster's dog was cute. Other than that, no.
    Voice actors can play different roles, you know...? It's like... an actor thing. They just do that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    But he's using the same voice when he was the Ancestor. It's not like his voice changed, only now it's confusing because you have him narrating even though he shouldn't be and he's talking about hope and inspiration. His role isn't clearly defined on who or what he's supposed to actually be this time around.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ChaDargo Arbiter

ChaDargo
    Could you name some of those indies that are acceptable versions of DD2? I'd like to check them out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. quixotic Literate

quixotic
    “From the outset, we felt strongly that in order to grow the Darkest Dungeon world... we needed to make a different game.”
    By making Darkest Dungeon again, but this time it’s uglier, dumbed down, and stripped of all potential?
    Is this even an RPG anymore? Why make THIS the direct sequel?
    Why is every hero gay?
    Why even put romance in the game in the first place? This is a rougelike, that shit doesn’t have time to develop into anything interesting.

No, he’s still playing the Ancestor. They just brought him back because he’s iconic, that’s literally the only reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Non-Edgy Gamer Prophet Patron

Non-Edgy Gamer
    Strap Yourselves In
    Cart driving minigame is extreme decline.

This is a cellphone/console game now, complete with dumb minigames to keep the kids' ADHD brains from getting bored.

^ Top  
  24. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    I'm actually surprised they were even able to make a sequel to Darkest Dungeon AND bring back the ancestor considering all of these revelations :M

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    I don't think so. It was revealed that he became immortal(?) by the dark heart.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.