Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon

Dayyālu

Arcane
You replayed four times Darkest Dungeon?

Are you insane
?

Congrats however. I would have broken far sooner. Tbh, I did broke and restarted on Radiant to see the ending. On Radiant, game's fun. On your class evaluation, everyone is free to develop his own tactics, but Houndmaster is probably the strongest in-game class due to a series of quirks:

+ Can attack everywhere
+ Strong Camp abilities
+ Self heal
+ Guard
+ Stress debuff
+ Good basic stats

The only negative is a mediocre damage (that can be mitigated with Marks and with biscuits) and you have pretty much a perfect class to run everything.

Crimson Court for me is kinda divisive. On one hand, I love the theme and the graphics, as I like all the athmosphere and the style of DD. On the other hand, it's ball bustingly hard, the Crimson Course must be approached with a very specific mindset to do it without problems and without torpedoing your own game (translated: I ignored the content until I did all the bosses and then sent in my best self-regenerating teams that soloed the first two and the fourth mission, needed a second try just for the Viscount, fuck the Viscount). CC is pretty much the epitome of "overtuning" DD's combat: everything does so many things at once that the usual "PURGE THEM BEFORE THEY DO ANYTHING" is pretty much essential. Sure, the mechanics are nice, but we truly needed huge dungeons that are far more difficult than the Darkest Dungeon itself with no Camps? And with enemies that can self-heal, inflict a debilitating and incurable disease, assume a second strongest form, have a shitton of area-wide attacks (FUCK THE COURTIER AND HIS RAPIER) AND frankly bullshit bosses (VISCOUNT!).

CC is fun only if you alpha strike it with a top-tier team equipped with top-tier trinkets, as a "optional dungeon" thing.

EDIT:

You need some naked anime girls in your roster.

That also.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1139703086

Here.

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
You replayed four times Darkest Dungeon?

No, we restarted 3 times, 1st time within a few weeks, 2nd and 3rd time around week 18 :rpgcodex:

I didn't find Crimson Court made things much harder, it just forced us to attempt the next tier of difficulty without fully grinding out our gear. It altered the strategy aspect more than the dungeon crawling. If I knew exactly how the Blood mechanics worked going in, I would have begun digging at the Courtyard right away and avoided such a dramatic situation rather than attempt to grind out town upgrades. The invitation scheme suggests that you are not expected to clear the Courtyard in one go, so it'd have been easy.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Good luck! I'll just say that the thing most people complain about the game is that you must develop 16+ heroes, not just 4-6, to clear the game. That's the bad grind.

I think it's justified to call Houndmaster the most well-rounded, generalist character, and a top tier support balanced support character, and works best with other Markers, but by no means way better than other top tier characters. There's a ton of competition for Position 2, which is where he needs to be to fully use Blackjack, Hound's Rush and his support skills. He's one of the better characters for Position 4 (as your primary marker), but I like Plague Doctor much more than you seem to.

The two classes I have trouble with are Graverobber and Hellion just because they're both too frail to operate upfront, where they're the most effective (or in Graverobber's case, where she ends up after Lounging). Graverobber is good and Hellion obviously awesome offensively, but frailness is much harder to mitigate than the limitations of a sturdy character like Leper- which, like you've found, works great with a Jester.

But anyway I'm just rambling now. I like seeing that you're using characters in positions very different than me and having success and fun. It tells me that I need to experiment more next time I pick this up.

Eriador

Arbiter
This version of me is easily the worst. Not only is Eriador 3.0 still level 1 without any notable accomplishments, but the stress of being stuck in this buggy game finally got to him and he now actually enjoys it. Hence the Flagellant quirk.

Clearly, the Decline is real.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Wait you can disable vampires yet keep the rest of the dlc's features in?
Bleh almost tempted to get the dlc now since there's a sale on.

But then again, Darkest Dungeon is in a weird spot with me where I want to really like it but always end up finding the game tedious and give up about half way through (dayyalu pretty much summed up why earlier). Maybe mods fix everything?

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Darkest Dungeon is not fixable by mods (or devs). The game is by design a slog of 'process forward on this corridor where you can click on things, not click on them, retreat, or die', and compounds this lack of engagement (they call it 'losing is fun') with a shameless grind. 3 versions of all bosses with repeat missions, really? Every enemy a reskin?

Talk about style over substance. This is the oblivion of roguelikes. Literally a 'corridor rpg'. Even worse than the worst nu-jrpg about corridoring. At least blobbers have a true 2d dimension where you can walk on rooms instead of this unidimensional, single vector shit. I'd honestly expect this game to already have been cruxified by the codex, but whatever.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'd honestly expect this game to already have been cruxified by the codex, but whatever.

Good luck! I'll just say that the thing most people complain about the game is that you must develop 16+ heroes, not just 4-6, to clear the game. That's the bad grind.

But anyway I'm just rambling now. I like seeing that you're using characters in positions very different than me and having success and fun. It tells me that I need to experiment more next time I pick this up.

I think the two things are connected. DD is bad, yes, but it's also well managed. For example, the 16 character thing: find it tedious? You can change it in the options and use the same party for all the Darkest Dungeon. Like, they saw it was shit, and gave you a way out. And while you fight the same enemies dozens of times, many of them are well designed as far as "encounters" go (the Stress mechanic adds to that mightily). Again, it's the best polished turd ever.

And it's very funny to see how Jason Liang 's character evaluations are fairly different from my own:
"Who the heck uses HM in second position if not for emergency, Cry Havoc is a third position skill and it's essential for all Champion Dungeons, DD and CC stuff, Jester isn't reliable enough"
" Wait, someone finds Plague Doctor useful? Sure, she can do piddling damage against Blight-weak foes, but pretty much every direct class is stronger and direct healing from the Vestal beats his DOT skills every time. And the Vestal can stun!"
" Lunging Graverobber? Wait, someone does not build every Graverobber as a ranged damage dealer? How?"

That's the thing. DD has so much variety in the crap you can do, in the experiments you can do, in playstyle. The game is a glorious mess.

boot

Prophet
Darkest Dungeon is not fixable by mods (or devs). The game is by design a slog of 'process forward on this corridor where you can click on things, not click on them, retreat, or die', and compounds this lack of engagement (they call it 'losing is fun') with a shameless grind. 3 versions of all bosses with repeat missions, really? Every enemy a reskin?

Talk about style over substance. This is the oblivion of roguelikes. Literally a 'corridor rpg'. Even worse than the worst nu-jrpg about corridoring. At least blobbers have a true 2d dimension where you can walk on rooms instead of this unidimensional, single vector shit. I'd honestly expect this game to already have been cruxified by the codex, but whatever.

we are saving this until the end. Right now, just want to beat the game, focus on the positive stuff.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
" Lunging Graverobber? Wait, someone does not build every Graverobber as a ranged damage dealer? How?"
You can use several GR in one party so they just hop back and forth. It's like holy crusade but without crusaders.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How quickly the tides turns
4e4.gif

boot

Prophet
So I was re-reading my shitty lps and I realized I never properly concluded this one.

we are saving this until the end. Right now, just want to beat the game, focus on the positive stuff.

So, just for the record.

Darkest Dungeon is a shit game. I played it 4 times and each time it got worse. I will never finish this game and I don't want to. BrotherFrank was right, the proper conclusion was to end when I hit the game killing bug.

The End!

lightbane

Arcane
Wow, that was a short LP. I don't know much of this game except for what a friend of mine showed me, plus the Codex drama, but it seems to be edgy try-hard with shit mechanics. Nice art, but it doesn't compensate for the fact it seems they took every bad mechanic of Lovecraftian games and turned it to 11.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom