Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Database for CYOA-type forum games

Since we are necroing here is a recommendation. Only a few turns into this one but it seems to be really fucking cool ok

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/magna-graecia-a-city-state-quest.17910/

Greek city state quest with a good balance between narrative and mechanics (I have problems with some quests that turn into number crunching but purely narrative quests generally don't hold my interest either; this one treads the line very well IMO) and, more importantly, the author seems to know their shit about ancient greek history/customs and goes into significant detail about their relevant aspects without killing the pace of the game.

lightbane

Arcane
Note though that the quest above is old and abandoned. Had that one been run in SV nowadays, there's a big chance some modder would eventually ban the writer and cancel the quest because it is "being offensive to 'x' minority groups" (aka being historically accurate), such as what happened with the other Roman one with the Arabs being "mistreated".

Kipeci

Arcane
Note though that the quest above is old and abandoned. Had that one been run in SV nowadays, there's a big chance some modder would eventually ban the writer and cancel the quest because it is "being offensive to 'x' minority groups" (aka being historically accurate), such as what happened with the other Roman one with the Arabs being "mistreated".
The author actually kept on continuing with that quest, reboots were set some time in the future and the most recent incarnation was updated into last year. Unfortunately he had some sort of epiphany that pouring in the effort of writing that CYOA was not worth the hollow enjoyment he got back so he canceled it for real this time

Here’s the final thread, I think there are links to the earlier iterations buried in all of that

lightbane

Arcane
:necro:

It's been a long year, but the clown ride never ends. Lately I dropped SV completely, as I'm fed up with commie scum, so I'm checking SB, QQ and akun/fiction.live more for Quests to participate.

Nevertheless, I would like to recommend a pair of quests which are quite unique due its nature.

The first one is a SMT-based quest, starring someone that was also trust into a Vortex World and cursed/blessed with the demonic parasite Magatama. Then an encounter with Stephen and Metatron changed everything. It doesn't require knowledge of Atlus games, but it helps. The QM is Gatling45, is young if his profile info is true, and a newcomer at writing, but he keeps improving:
https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...t-is-shin-megami-tensei.873799/#post-69477097

The second one, from the same writer, is much crazier: A Super Mario universe (plus Wario) Quest, starring a Goomba, of all things!
As you may expect, the setting is quite crazy, and it doesn't take itself seriously all the time, but it's still fresh as hell:
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/wario-land-mario-quest-greed-is-king.888436/

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been enjoying a lot a quest on SV (moved to QQ later on) and remembered that thread for recommendations, so if anyone's interested:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.c...nant-legion-warhammer40k-great-crusade.87248/
https://forum.questionablequesting....nant-legion-warhammer40k-great-crusade.16588/

I really enjoyed it because how much it's embracing its theme, taking things to their extreme and not shying from the consequences; it also feature rather evil protagonist & characters, which I'm finding rather well done. It was too extreme for SV, so the author decided to move to QQ (all the content has been copied to QQ, but you need an account there to read it).
It's set in the 40k universe, before the start of the Great Crusade, the character is a space marine in the Blood Angels Legion, fighting in the unification wars. And the themes are a mix of taking the vampire theme that's sometime associated with the Blood Angels, but with a cannibalistic side. If you prefer Blood Angels characters to be tortured by their flaws (red thirst/black rage), that's not really for you, because here the Blood Angels (not having yet met Sanguinius), fully embrace it and go full monsters.

oscar

Arcane
I'm trying to find an old Vampire the Masquerade CYOA on here that had a Sabbat protagonist (I think set in Poland?). No luck but I remember it well. Anyone remember the title or thread?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom