Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News David Gaider talks about dialogue choices AGAIN!

obediah

Erudite
Surlent said:
In future when they start using sound synthetisators, voice recognition, word processors and advanced neural networks for AI in computer games we don't anymore need dialogue options. Anything less than that is a compromise.

I'm not sure about the voice recognition - I'd probably end up committed if I sat around yelling at my computer in a shitty english accent.

I'd like to see some work done on replacing specific dialogue options with a more free-flowing goal, demeanor, method system. So instead of choosing "I'll pay 5 gold, take it or I'll kill you", I could select minimize price, surly, intimidation - or something like that. It would be complex, and I'm not sure if it would be fun, but it would allow for more arbitrary control by the player.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Surlent said:
In future when they start using sound synthetisators, voice recognition, word processors and advanced neural networks for AI in computer games we don't anymore need dialogue options. Anything less than that is a compromise.

There would still be value in dialogue options. There are things that the writer thinks up of that are much more witty than what the player could think of. My example would be the dialogue between Thor and a stupid PC in FO2. My stomach hurt from laughing after reading all of it. So yes, complete dialogue freedom has its merits, but reading what the writers thought up of can be hilarious at times.

Shadowstrider

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
obediah said:
An interesting take on that would be a dialogue system that starts out like that but learns your personality through your initial choices and prunes later options. If I establish early on that I'm a saintly do-gooder, just remove the ass hole options and only offer them again if I gradually shift in that direction.

I've been asking for a system like that for quite a long time now. Seems we're in tune on that one.

A system like this wouldn't be hard to implement. The problem is that it completely alienates the idea of redemption/fall. If you start off as an evil cleric of the blood demon M'ahp Sae'rvar and through the game progressively became 'goodly' it'd be impossible. The dialog options would be gone.

What I do is start with 3 generic replies. Usually yes, no, and ignore. I then add the characteristic options, such as accept but demand a reward(greedy), offer to help in anyway(goodie-goodie), etc... I also add in skill checks and ability checks. As you develop the character a series of variables are stored in a database, these variables don't take away options that would seem unfit for the character, but rather ADD more specific options that would fit the character.

Lets say you go through the first two chapters choosing the goodie-goodie options. Around the time of Chapter 2 you'll start to notice more goodie-goodie options, which have other epithets attached to them. By the end of chapter 4-5ish you could have 10+ dialog choices, 5 of which all seem to be goodie, but each are good in different ways. One could be a selfless option, another a leadership option, another could be a diplomatic reply, while another could be a polite rejection. Some might see this as too many options, to me it is only too many if they have no effect on the actual character development or gameplay.

If all of the goodie-goodie options led to the same result, then by all means trim them down.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
The two best games for dialogue, in my opinion of course, is Torment and Bloodlines. Bloodlines, probably because I played it so recently. It wouldn't take much to convince me otherwise.

Anyways, part of the dialogue's appeal is the fact it was simply well written, entertainy to read if you will. Next, it would be nice if a game recognized your background and gave you appropriate dialogue options. For example, in trying to convince Terese to end the fued with Bertrum she asks you to go through some sewers. A Toredor gets an option to complain about this, but a Nosferatu instead gets to say, "no problem". Thats good dialogue. In addition, if your character ends up with low humanity, their dialogue options become much more animalistic and evil. Finally, if your prersuasion, intimidation, or seduction was high enough and the situation was appropriate, one of these dialogue options would be available.

It is right to say fluff dialogue is a bad thing, it just gives the gamer the sense it doesn't matter what they pick, it will just end up the same. But if somebody asks you what your philosophy on life, the universe, and everything is, you need more than four options for the player to feel like he can really state what his is. Also, if dialogue options are obviously based on some formula of greedy, good, or sadistic, it becomes a drage on dialogue pretty quickly.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Shevek said:
Dave's use of the numbers "10-12" is simply a clever rhetorical device. He knows any reasonable person would agree that that number is too high.
No, actually Dave is saying 10 - 12 is bad because the original poster in that thread where this response by Dave Gaider has been pulled from said "I would like to see about 10-12 options, and not the same old ones every time for each minor or major NPC. I realize this can not be done for every NPC so just focus on some interesting ones.".

Given I'm working on the greatest fan-made Fallout project EVAR I've got some comments on this from a design perspective. Dave is right when he implies "there's only so much you can do" because everything you do does have to be scripted, created or coded into the game in some way. The reality is, what are your real options anyway? People don't play PC games for some kind of dialogue re-creation. They play RPGs for quests and to explore a really cool world (if your opinion differs, please elaborate as to why - I'd be interested). That leaves us with the simple fact that the player is talking to an NPC to:
  1. Get a quest.
  2. Get some info about a quest he's already got.
  3. Find out some info (important or otherwise) about the game world.
If it's to get a quest, then again, there's only so much you can do. At some point the NPC has to tell or indicate to the player that they have a quest to give. The PC has to be able to show interest in the quest, find out more and accept it or be able to reject it if they're not interested. Players generally don't won't to talk to an NPC about the kids and what they did last weekend and what they thought about Star Wars Episode III. They just want the quest or some info about the game-world. Really, that's it.

That said, delivery is certainly important and building up to the quest is a lot better than having a player walk up to a character and simply ask "Quest PLZ?" but you don't want to go too far with it. Asking farmer Joe "What he's doing" and being told "I'm planting these here witchity-trees but my witchity-polanterer is on the blink so I'm doing it by hand" is a nice lead in to a quest ("Hey, I'll fix your quest item for you! XP++"). Being told about the kids, the holiday and how good the wife is in bed - or more appropriately, anything other than information that the player can use in some way in the game - isn't.

The problem of course is, that if you accept that these characters shouldn't say anything other than what may be of use to the player, then you can't really have a conversation with them (point of clarification: What would ultimately be a meaningless, pointless, irrelevant and "unfun" conversation). If it's a quest, then the player doesn't really have many options. Either he / she has to accept the quest, refuse the quest or maybe see if he can go away to think about it and come back later. What else really, is the player going to do?

We can elaborate and bring this into real world conversations. Most conversations in games have to be broken down into question / answer sessions. The player isn't really having any "conversations" at all. He's just a walking quizz show host and the NPCs are his unfortunate contestants. Think about any conversation you've had in real life. Now imagine it was a game. Hopefully you'll see how it wouldn't work.

The other issue is that even in these generic real-life conversations, your options aren't really all that unlimited. I mean really, if someone asks you "What did you think about the new Star Wars movie?", what are your responses?
  1. Fuck you areshole!
  2. I haven't seen it yet.
  3. It sucks because... here's my 5 minute speech on why it sucks.
  4. I blew a load in the cinema at its greatness... here's my 5 minute speech on why I blew my load.
  5. I didn't see Star Wars but I saw Mr and Mrs Smith... Here's my 5 minute speech about how hot Angelina Jolie is.
  6. Say, would you like to join me in a quest to the canteen for some lunch?
  7. Can I ask you another question?
Only 3 of those really make any sense (2, 3, 4). The rest are simply changing the subject to "anything else other than what you're talking about right now" while one is completely idiotic (No# 1). Even then, that's only 7 options and nowhere near 12. I could make 12 but then it'd become noticeable that they're simply variations on the same "change the subject" theme. The person has asked you a very specific question. Your only real options are "yes / no / avoid the issue".

You can't replicate a "normal" non-question conversation in a game simply because it is impossible. You'd end up talking about things that are either irrelevant to the game or situation the player finds themself in or in a long-winded conversation that achieves nothing ("Why did I spend 10 minutes talking to that guy when he didn't know anything about the quest or the big bad Foozle? What was that all about? What was the point?"). Dialogue responses suddenly become overly long and it's just not fun.

The key to good dialogue in a game is therefore quite remarkably simple (and as usual, simple things are often the hardest to achieve):
  • Players aren't interested in information they can't use (Some good background information about the world or other characters is useful info as it helps build the game into something interesting).
  • Keep the discussion to the topic on hand. Work out what information you need to give the player and figure out how you're going to do it. Pad it out a bit if it makes sense to do so but don't go overboard.
  • Players don't want to be able to ask "quest-related" questions to NPCs that don't know anything about the quest.
  • The players options need to make sense. He should be able to say "yes / no / maybe later" (you'll be surprised at how many times you don't get to say "no" and have it matter - especially with regard to main plots).
  • Different options that end in the same result should have more than a mere superficial difference. IE: If there are two "yes" options, one should result in a better reward or be otherwise different in some way to the other option (for example the "yes" and "yes with angst" style options where appropriate - or even "yes, but it'll cost you"). One thing we do a bit in Fan Made Fallout is have two options which ultimately lead to the same result but one is a "nice way" and often has less conditions attached to it (lower speech skill check) where as the other way is the "more insulting way" and has more conditions, such as leading to another skill test, having a higher initial skill check or having some other affect on the NPC - good or bad. They're not provided with every NPC and are used sparingly.
  • Use skill checks where appropriate. Options like the player bartering down the price or even asking for a price / reward when none has been suggested. Intimidating / bribing the NPC into giving out more information and so on. These are where your extra options come into play. Given they're based on skills, players find them more rewarding because it rewards "their" character for having the right stat bumped up for this situation. Again though, the situations have to make sense. Bartering where no money is involved is just daft or intimidating an NPC who can be easily bribed doesn't make sense. There's no need to provide multiple ways to do the same thing - use the skills and rewards sparingly and people suddenly feel like they've gained something, even more so than if you had provided generic "bribe / intimidate / persuade" options with every NPC.
Seriously, all you need is good writing and most of the complaints about lack of options disappear. Provided you cover the basics - throw in a few more options where it makes sense to do so and make sure the scenarios that the player finds themselves in are plausible - you generally end up with some good dialogue.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Role-Player said:
obediah said:
An interesting take on that would be a dialogue system that starts out like that but learns your personality through your initial choices and prunes later options. If I establish early on that I'm a saintly do-gooder, just remove the ass hole options and only offer them again if I gradually shift in that direction.

I've been asking for a system like that for quite a long time now. Seems we're in tune on that one.

But how would you role-play an unpredictable character with multiple personalities then, eh? :lol:

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
I swear I could comment on my ass and it would appear on the news here. (My comment, not my ass.)

Anyhoo...

I wasn't really saying that the role-playing had to be simplistic (though of course VD knows that), just that you couldn't get carried away with supplying different solutions to problems in the game. The context was the poster that I was responding to suggesting that even in the case of simply getting past a door guard there can/should be a whole slough of options available to the player... each of which, of course, would have to be scripted and tested and so forth.

Options and multiple paths are great, and yes Bioware should do more of that, but the KISS principle still applies.

obediah

Erudite
Hazelnut said:
Role-Player said:
obediah said:

But how would you role-play an unpredictable character with multiple personalities then, eh? :lol:

Now that could be an interesting trait to take at character creation (or pick up in the game), at the beginning of every conversation you'd get a random personality setting that dictated you're choices for that conversation. Not a compelling feature but if you got the above working, this would pretty much come for free.

Spazmo

Erudite
Dgaider said:
I swear I could comment on my ass and it would appear on the news here. (My comment, not my ass.)

You send the pictures, we'll post them.

Otherwise, Gaider is essentially right. A chilling prospect indeed.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Dgaider said:
I swear I could comment on my ass and it would appear on the news here.
Only if the pictures are exclusive and could be clearly identified as David Gaider's ass. A tattoo would help. Or a marker.

I wasn't really saying that the role-playing had to be simplistic (though of course VD knows that)
I do. However, I draw the line between what Dave thinks and what Bio does :wink:

Options and multiple paths are great, and yes Bioware should do more of that, but the KISS principle still applies.
Goes without saying, as long as you guys don't do overdo it (the KISS part)

Avin

Liturgist
a picture of gaider's ass? but how would they remove volo from there before take it? HAHAHAHA

no pics, thanks :)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Hazelnut said:

By choosing options that accomodated that scenario. obediah was mentioning reducing, then extinguishing, a set of options the more options of the opposite nature you chose, but that's not to say you couldn't get a couple of other options that simulated other mindsets (unpredictable, greedy, necrophile, etc).

Talorc

Liturgist
Dgaider said:

Get with the Future David!!

Just put yellow exclamation marks above the heads of any NPC that will hand out loot in return for fetch and carry tasks, and get the player to click accept a couple of times before updating their quest log. That is the current best practice KISS!!

Its good for 2 million copies sold at least.

Im sure we would all rather you didnt keep it TOO simple.

Jinxed

Liturgist
obediah said:

When I started playing bloodlines I was under the impression that the humanity thing would work that way. Depending on your character's personality, being mean or just plain psychotic dialog options would change and your intimidate skill would get a boost. Too bad it didn't happen.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Dgaider said:

Anyhoo...

when gaider were young(er) and had big dreams... dreams 'bout being prime minister or a famous curler or maybe Pope, did he ever thinks that his fame would stretch so far as the rpg codex? rock stars and pro athletes get beautiful women hanging on their every word... gaider gets a legion o’ socially retarded twenty-something malcontents.

well, to be fair, the rock stars and pro athletes gotta deal with geeks and nerds too, but is probably easier to tolerate if you gots the women.

write dialogue ain't so tough... if you is tom stoppard. write game dialogue. imagine writing a play wherein each possible dialogue gots four or six or twelve (HA!) different and equally plausible responses that when linked together (though not necessarily in a linear fashion,) form a coherent and intriguing single story.

ain't gonna happen... it cannot possibly work if approached that way... which is why it don't work that way. but for the folks that seem to be clamoring for each and every dialogue option (or even most dialogue options,) to be poignant and important, you is inevitably gonna be disappointed.

am not making excuses for dave. he gets paid to write game dialogue that is compelling... gets paid to make it look easy. if dave can't do it, then bio should hire vd or some other clown.

HA! Good Fun!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Jinxed said:
When I started playing bloodlines I was under the impression that the humanity thing would work that way. Depending on your character's personality, being mean or just plain psychotic dialog options would change and your intimidate skill would get a boost. Too bad it didn't happen.

Ummm... It did effect the game. Basically, if your humanity was low enough (I'm thinking 3 or 4) you got a new set of dialogue options that reflected your baser self, though I'm not sure they effected the outcome very often. It didn't boost your intimidation, though, that would have broken the character sheet if you ask me.

Balor

Arcane
Hmm, just for fairness - in P:T, there were up to like 20 dialogue options. (I recall such happened in dialogues with Ravel and Transcendent one)
And I absolutely loved it.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Balor said:
Hmm, just for fairness - in P:T, there were up to like 20 dialogue options. (I recall such happened in dialogues with Ravel and Transcendent one)
And I absolutely loved it.

20? am not so certain o' your recollection. as we recall, the longest list o' responses in the ravel dialogue were following the, "What can change the nature of a man?" bit, and that were simply a laundry list kinda thing.

planescape dialogues were long more tha they were numerous... is not that you got 20 responses, but rather you would sometimes get 5 or 6 really long responses.

HA! Good Fun!

Jora

Arcane
What about the conversation with The Practical Incarnation in the Fortress of Regrets? There were a lot of things you could ask him about.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Jora said:
What about the conversation with The Practical Incarnation in the Fortress of Regrets? There were a lot of things you could ask him about.

perhaps you could explain what is relevance of recollecting one encounter in a game of 40-60 hours? regardless, we not recall having a dozen possible dialogue responses with which to respond to the practical incarnation.

*shrug*

typical suituation in ps:t, as with most story-driven crpgs, were to have 3-6 possible responses. the most signifficant difference 'tween ps:t and other games were in the length o' those responses. can you find exceptions in ps:t and bg and kotor where you had more than 6 possible responses? yeah, but note one or two such instances in a game o' 40+ hours hardly seems probative.

folks got tired of reading ps:t... were a common complaint. is all kinda speculation 'bout what the problem with the ps:t dialogue were... and Gromnir not seem to agree with many conclusions. however, at least one developer adopted a 3-line guideline for dialogues post ps:t. draw your own conclusions as you will.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir

Liturgist
p.s. we thinks some o' you is doing some odd counting

repost:

Hey Everyone,

I am kinda tired of the same old dialogue options. Even though, Pirates of the Sword Coast tried to improve on that by using skills, I think more needs to be done. For instance usually there are 4-5 main results with a conversation:

1. Agree to do what NPC wants
2. Agree with reward wanted
3. Disagree (sometimes insulting character)
4. Close dialogue and do nothing

I would like to see about 10-12 options, and not the same old ones every time for each minor or major NPC. I realize this can not be done for every NPC so just focus on some interesting ones.

Here are some ideas that maybe could be implemented somehow in Dragon Age (realizing we dont know exactly what kind of stats or game engine DA is using).

1. Recruit - I think it would be great to use something like a Charisma factor to be able to hire NPC's for a brief period (depending on how much cash you have and the amount of Charisma)....this would be seperate from the NPC's that are with you till the end.

If you fail to recruit someone...this could get around town and maybe lower your standing in the area.

2. Blackmail- If a warrior walks into your store with a huge battle ax and wants a free room or some of your magic items......are you going to say no? Most local guards are not stupid and going to attack some great fighter...these interface option could be used to get free bed or items while the store keeper is too afraid to go to the authorities

It would not lower your standing in the community because no one knows but it could affect your personal alignment.

3. Enthrall.....lets say you are not allowed in a building for some reason....The mage could use magic or abilities like the Dominate spell....to have a NPC enter a building for them to retrieve something...

If this fails the victim could attack or flee or maybe even spread the rumor around town to lower the parties standing

4. Barter - This would allow the character to maybe exchange weapons and items or information. Natually, this option would probably only be available for high level NPC's.

Well, if anyone else has more ideas feel free to post them....this was just a little brainstorming. Let me know what you think.

-Nathan

end repost

this is the post that spawned the current thread at bio and now at codex.

am thinking that some o' you folks is getting confused as to what is meant by having 4 responses/options. just 'cause you has a long conversation with ravel or malak or some other character not mean that you is getting loads o' options.

HA! Good Fun!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hmm, just for fairness - in P:T, there were up to like 20 dialogue options."

Hahaha. Why do people feel the need to make shit up?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom