Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Dawn of War Tournament - SEASON 3 NOW OVER

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
a7625563882413ef1ab23ac935619f97.png

Truly none can stop the alliance of tau and ig.
Thanks for the games everyone. Feels good to have the trophy return to its rightful keeper.
I'm pretty happy with how my IG skills have increased. But as the first game of finals showed, I still have quite a bit to go with Tau in terms of mastery.
I'll still be around for random games if anyone is interested.

whocares

Savant
Dropped a single game before the finals, got second place overall, successfully implemented the METAL BOX strategy against my mortal enemies, the Tau. Not bad for a guy who last played the game 15 years ago.

I am content. Good times, everyone.
It's funny how in our practie games with Jaedar, I only ever won one game as Chaos vs Tau, and he only won one as IG vs Eldar. And then the finals happened. In hindsight, we both could use some more practice with our "good" matchups.
Now to not touch the game for at least a year.

Darth Roxor

Wielder of the Huegpenis
Staff Member
Das it then. The trophy returns to the winner of Season 1. You can tell he's a butthurt tryhard because he went with two OP factions just to get it while everyone else had to struggle with honest picks!

P. cool tournament, everything went very smoothly and with no quitters.

See you in 15 years for season IV
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

Final Imperial thought of the day: Never take a gamble you’re not prepared to lose.

and final standings:

dowleague23.png

Sarathiour

Cipher
My only regret is not beating zen even once in sparring match before the end of the tourney.

So a tau that does not you use trap nor shas'ui end up winning the cup, the blame is on all the other player.
Joke aside, it's a well deserved win, jaedar was the most consistant player here, and was often around for sparring and mastering IG.

Ninjerk

Arcane

whocares

Savant
DoW Bros. The JewTube randomly suggested this masterpiece to me and I thought you hafta see it:

Darth Roxor

Wielder of the Huegpenis
Staff Member
hey what do you fags think about a vynter league starting around christmas
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

whocares

Savant
ZOG

In my advanced age refractory period takes a hwile. Right now the idea of dowwage fills me with disgust. I'm still toying with the idea of getting back into warcraft 3 instead but no one's biting. And going at it alone is no fun.

But 2 months is a long time. I might be DoWn by then.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm still toying with the idea of getting back into warcraft 3 instead but no one's biting.
Is wc3 decently balanced for mp? I only ever played campaign and custom maps.

The whole reforged edition debacle is making me wary as well.

whocares

Savant
I'm still toying with the idea of getting back into warcraft 3 instead but no one's biting.
Is wc3 decently balanced for mp? I only ever played campaign and custom maps.

The whole reforged edition debacle is making me wary as well.
Compared to DoW it's Josh Sawyer's heaven. Once you get up there in the ranks you start seeing some OP shit, but up until pro-level personal skill trumps faction balance. As in, I used to play Orc and was supposed to win against Undead every time, but I threw like 80% of my games against them. Similarly, Night Elves going Druids of the Talon was supposed to be a tough matchup, but I had way more trouble even with the bog-standard bear/dryad than talons.

Starcraft players seem to be offended by the variance of neutral item drops from creep camps where you can either get claws of attack or an armor ring and whatnot, but I always found that to be exciting.

But the biggest thing WC3 has going for it for my taste is that you don't just build workers the whole game. You set up your economy in the first 3 minutes and then you're good, only build more workers if your old ones die or you need to expand, which contrary to starcraft doesn't happen all that often unless you're playing Human. But who would do such a thing?

And as for reforged - there's no two ways about it, it sucks major ass. But if you have an old CD key (or can get one for cheap from wherever), you don't have to buy it. You'll still have to download the bloated 30 gigs of it, but then you'll get to play the game with classic graphics and like 95% of it is the same as it used to be pre-reforged (some sounds got changed, diversity skins for a couple of heroes got added, online community features and lobby UI got gutted, and some occasional new bugs were introduced; maybe I'm forgetting a few points against it off the top of my head).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
And as for reforged - there's no two ways about it, it sucks major ass. But if you have an old CD key (or can get one for cheap from wherever), you don't have to buy it. You'll still have to download the bloated 30 gigs of it, but then you'll get to play the game with classic graphics and like 95% of it is the same as it used to be pre-reforged (some sounds got changed, diversity skins for a couple of heroes got added, online community features and lobby UI got gutted, and some occasional new bugs were introduced; maybe I'm forgetting a few points against it off the top of my head).
As I understood it they broke the whole online aspect of it to make it reforged compatible, and even with the old version you are still running reforged engine which added a bunch of bugs.

whocares

Savant
As I understood it they broke the whole online aspect of it to make it reforged compatible, and even with the old version you are still running reforged engine which added a bunch of bugs.
Funny thing is, they're actually still working on fixing it. They've recently added official ladder back into the game (and had a bug where in the first day some players had 5 million ranked games listed as played) and in the next few weeks they're looking to reintroduce player profiles and Klans.

But at the end of the day it's mostly fluff. It's still inexcusable that it got removed in an update, but the game works just fine and the bugs are greatly overstated. I played about a dozen online games since reforged launched and encountered 0 technical issues at least.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Having to suffer trough reforge is heavily curbing on my enthusiasm to ever play war3 online. AoM player bypassed the EE trough volby, isn't a similar solution possible for war 3 ?

whocares

Savant
Having to suffer trough reforge is heavily curbing on my enthusiasm to ever play war3 online. AoM player bypassed the EE trough volby, isn't a similar solution possible for war 3 ?
The difference is that it's the same game unlike the AoM EE. You just have to deal with some shitty menus. Who cares, honestly.

But there is a player-made custom ladder with its own client, maps, tournaments and even balance adjustments where all the pros play. It still uses reforged as its base though.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you want to play WC3 you can go for some rutracker version of the old one and play through virtual LAN

Nahel

Arcane
WC3 is playable in custom maps despite reforged but they pretty much killed the ladder to the point people use some external ladder. Could be fun honestly, it uses micro like DOW but as who cares said no retarded matchup. Even the infamous BM got nerfed. With friends it can be fun or in a codex format, but no reason to play real ladder those days.
But 2vs2 is the real fun part

whocares

Savant
Here's a non-exhaustive list of what Reforged fucked up for wc3:

Visuals - reforged graphics look terrible, have shitty hitboxes where you click on things you don't want to click all the time, and run like ass even on high-end machines.
Campaign - they started updating it, then abandoned the idea halfway through so now like 3 missions are very different and the rest are mostly the same but with botched balance because RoC campaign uses TFT rules.
Menus and Community features - I can't say I ever cared about clans and profiles but they got removed (but will be reintroduced soon) and the game's menu and lobbies were changed to run on Chromium and so now it's sluggish and clunky and has lotsa small bugs.
Custom maps - Blizzard now claims ownership of all of them so no one's bothered making any new ones.

The above is some heinous shit, but how does it affect playing some pvp games using classic graphics? It pretty much doesn't.

The only things reforged does to the classic mode are some changed night elf death sounds (which is so minor I never would've noticed if I didn't watch a video of a guy comparing them), a few jokes you got for clicking a unit 20 times got removed (because this is the current year bigots), and demon hunters and death knights now have diversity female skins (which have to be manually enabled and pretty much no one does that).

And yes, real ladder is a clown fiesta of people who have no idea what they're doing going for cheesy builds. But if you want a true ladder experience, there is an unofficial one where all the good players hang out and it does some ping magic so you can play with people from across the world with very little lag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom