Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline DEAD GAME

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is nobody else noticing or being bothered by the increasing cries that X game is dead, despite being perfectly functional?
It seems that even games which need 10 people to play, and have several hundreds, are DEAD DEAD DEAD RIP PRESS F because other games have tens of thousands.
This is a problem, because once people start calling a game DEAD, it actually begins to decline and die, as fewer new players join it. It used to be you had niche games hovering at 150-400 players online for years, getting new content, and new players replacing the ones that leave. But now if a game gets the viral reputation of being DEADDDD, no new players join, and over time it legit dies. Someone else make the banking analogy, I can't be arased.

I wish there was a bit more rational positivity to replace the irrational negativity, and a reminder that not every game needs to be a market leader, and there are enough players for a game to exist outside top 10 without being DEAD.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Your click bait Youtube gaming channel won't get enough views without daily "Why the Game X is DEAD?", "Why EVERYONE hates Game Y" and "Game Z Didn't Just Die, It was MURDERED" videos.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, like these whinners in BFV and CoD threads crying that WW2 shooters are dead, then you point them to games like Days of Infamy, Rising Storm 1 and 2 and they ignore it and continue whinnery.
meh

Turjan

Arcane
Your click bait Youtube gaming channel won't get enough views without daily "Why the Game X is DEAD?", "Why EVERYONE hates Game Y" and "Game Z Didn't Just Die, It was MURDERED" videos.
Hah, I even recognize the last title you mentioned. No exaggeration here.

Explorerbc

Arcane
A game with 200 players spread around the world is less accessible to most pleople. You can only play at peak hours and your options when it comes to maps, modes etc is limited to what the majority likes.
If you are a beginner, it is also hard to find players at your level, since at numbers that low the only people left are the hardcore veterans. If the community is shit or everyone is playing in private clan servers you are out of luck.
And of course with such a saturated market people consider a game with more players a safer investment for the future.

Here are some games with low numbers I decided to play after their prime (a year or two after release):

Natural Selection 2: Public games were hard to find and usually a mess. I had to join the ENSL and wait in their teamspeak for hours until enough people gathered to get one, maybe two decent games per day

Company of Heroes 2: 95% of people left played only axis because of horrible balance. This is an actual statistic the game displayed btw. So if you played soviets in public you got stomped by some nazi roleplayer clan, if you played germans you had to wait for half an hour to get into a match. There were a few clans that had requirements like "you need to have 500 hours on the game" or "you need to have no life and practice every other day" to join.

Nazi Zombie Army: I got this on sale simply cause I like the setting. It is a 4 player coop but I could only find people on the weekends. I had to roam the steam forums and leave my name in those "Looking for friends" threads, to get adds from random shady profiles and I finally found some people to coop with.

So yeah, you can still play and enjoy a lot of those games, but it requires effort, and a lot of people don't want to go through all that trouble to enjoy a quick game when they have other options.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Sometimes I like to call a streamer "DEAD STREAMER LOL" and watch them get really upset. Then their subscribers get upset, then the non-subscribers get upset, and here I am just eating a Snack Pack pudding like a proper lad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom