Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Dead Monarchy: Open-World | Turn-Based | Mercenary Management | RPG - Fully Released May 19th 2023

Skorpion

Educated
Just stumbled across this, looks nifty. Wishlisted for full release as I dont touch early access anymore. Heres to a successful full release when that happens!

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Thanks guys, yeah it's been quite the journey, pretty crazy one for just one guy. It's more or less a few months out from full release at this point, just polishing and bugfixing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Thanks guys, yeah it's been quite the journey, pretty crazy one for just one guy. It's more or less a few months out from full release at this point, just polishing and bugfixing.

Congrats. Finishing gamedev, especially a long project, is always an accomplishment.

We'll see you at the finish line.

:hero:

Jinn

Arcane
This has a really nice price during the Steam Spring Sale, and since our friend Bantichai assures us a full release in the very near future, it's time I throw some money his way.

Hope everything is going smoothly for you in the final stages of Early Access, Bantichai! Congrats on your accomplishments so far.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
This has a really nice price during the Steam Spring Sale, and since our friend Bantichai assures us a full release in the very near future, it's time I throw some money his way.

Hope everything is going smoothly for you in the final stages of Early Access, Bantichai! Congrats on your accomplishments so far.

Thanks a lot for the support, yeah I was initially aiming to release this month but decided to hold back and implement a few more things before going to 1.0, most likely just a matter of months then I can start working on the free post-release content.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1037940/view/5572683499521991613
Dev Update #29: Build 17 (Full Release Date, Another Balancing Update)
(Live Build Update)
Hey guys,

Originally, I had planned for Dead Monarchy to release on the 23rd of March however I had to push it back. I have now decided on a new full release date.

Dead Monarchy will transition from early access to full release on the
19th of May (19/5/2023)
, so basically just over a month from now unless something drastically changes again.

This update will most likely be the last update before full release.

Change Notes:

- Fixed the issue with the extended HUD not remaining pinned making it impossible to inspect perks on combatants during combat.

- A combatant dying will now incur -5 Resolve to all members of the same party. This also stacks with the perk Courageous Thoughts, which reduces Resolve by -15 on a critical hit (kill).

- Made some updates to the battle log output.

- Nimble Movement has been removed from militias/deserters and replaced with Impact Anticipation.

- Critical hits from standard attacks and weapon abilities will now do a minimum of 20 damage to Vitality. The minimum amount of damage will bypass armour perks. 10/10 damage to Head/Body and 10/10 damage to Helmet/Armour.

- Minimum critical hit chance is now 5%, maximum critical hit chance is now 95%.

- Updated several perk descriptions to account for the new changes to critical hits.

- Updated party selection for when starting with player members. You can now select starting companions by weapon type. Equipment and traits will still be assigned randomly though, this won't change.

- The perk Organised Chaos (Tactics) will now reduce the AP cost for Quick Shot (Arbalest) from 7 to 5 and allow the user to shoot at targets on tiles directly adjacent to the user. Basically, it removes the minimum range penalty.

- Post-game boss Stamina, increased to 250, due to changes with "Exhausted".

- If you are directly flanking a target from the back, critical hit chance will be set to 95% regardless. This will make being surrounded even deadlier due to the changes to critical hits that allow bypass damage.

- When "Routing" status effect is applied, the chance to critical hit is 95% regardless.

- When "Routing" or "Exhausted" status effects are applied, the chance to hit is 95% regardless.

- Updated relevant tooltips to reflect the above changes.

- The amount of medallions in your inventory is listed in the champion/spectacle fights page.

- The marketplace and shelters (recruitment) is now available in the quick interactions menu.

- Updated the way deployment/placement tiles are displayed. I am hoping this will be the solution to the "invisible placement tiles bug" that occasionally occurs.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1037940/view/5572683499521991613
Dev Update #29: Build 17 (Full Release Date, Another Balancing Update)
(Live Build Update)
Hey guys,

Originally, I had planned for Dead Monarchy to release on the 23rd of March however I had to push it back. I have now decided on a new full release date.

Dead Monarchy will transition from early access to full release on the
19th of May (19/5/2023)
, so basically just over a month from now unless something drastically changes again.

This update will most likely be the last update before full release.

Change Notes:

- Fixed the issue with the extended HUD not remaining pinned making it impossible to inspect perks on combatants during combat.

- A combatant dying will now incur -5 Resolve to all members of the same party. This also stacks with the perk Courageous Thoughts, which reduces Resolve by -15 on a critical hit (kill).

- Made some updates to the battle log output.

- Nimble Movement has been removed from militias/deserters and replaced with Impact Anticipation.

- Critical hits from standard attacks and weapon abilities will now do a minimum of 20 damage to Vitality. The minimum amount of damage will bypass armour perks. 10/10 damage to Head/Body and 10/10 damage to Helmet/Armour.

- Minimum critical hit chance is now 5%, maximum critical hit chance is now 95%.

- Updated several perk descriptions to account for the new changes to critical hits.

- Updated party selection for when starting with player members. You can now select starting companions by weapon type. Equipment and traits will still be assigned randomly though, this won't change.

- The perk Organised Chaos (Tactics) will now reduce the AP cost for Quick Shot (Arbalest) from 7 to 5 and allow the user to shoot at targets on tiles directly adjacent to the user. Basically, it removes the minimum range penalty.

- Post-game boss Stamina, increased to 250, due to changes with "Exhausted".

- If you are directly flanking a target from the back, critical hit chance will be set to 95% regardless. This will make being surrounded even deadlier due to the changes to critical hits that allow bypass damage.

- When "Routing" status effect is applied, the chance to critical hit is 95% regardless.

- When "Routing" or "Exhausted" status effects are applied, the chance to hit is 95% regardless.

- Updated relevant tooltips to reflect the above changes.

- The amount of medallions in your inventory is listed in the champion/spectacle fights page.

- The marketplace and shelters (recruitment) is now available in the quick interactions menu.

- Updated the way deployment/placement tiles are displayed. I am hoping this will be the solution to the "invisible placement tiles bug" that occasionally occurs.

Cheers,
Kevin.
Thanks for posting!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Decided to play this again before full release. Some random, incoherent thoughts follow.

-Game has come long way from what it was back in -19, when I last played this. New portraits, new music, some nice attack/defense animations etc.
- Stuff in combat has been streamlined in good way (I complained that game then had redundant feeling break armour/helmet actions separately from damage dealing, current system is closer to how Battle Brothers handles things.)
-Combat overall feels much better.
-Ranged units of enemies still seem to always run away from close combat.
-This time player doesn't start with settlement to manage, but there are towns called havens which improve when you do missions for them or clear enemies from locations on map.
-After few false starts, my party is now around lvl 10 with 8 members which I've managed to keep somehow alive. Wandered around 3 towns nearest to starting area, mainly fighting low level bandits and now deserters. Haven't done starting plot quest yet, wandering further away with too small party sounds like recipe for party wiping ambush for now.
-I haven't seen anything supernatural in game yet, all enemies have been human.
-Towns seem to have some values like "security" which seem to go up when you do certain missions for them. What those numbers do? I don't know, but I'm going to pump those numbers up.
-When player goes to town screen, there's this extra step where player is taken to screen where only choices are "go inside" or "go back to town screen". I guess front of that church is supposed to be pretty, but it is still unnecessary extra step unless there's something else that can be done in these screens.
-Possibility to input number of items bought or sold via keyboard would be an welcome improvement.
-It would be nice if there was some marker that shows that party member has unused perk points, now I have to constantly manually check.
-My biggest current complaint would be about how camera behaves on regional map when you try move somewhere while zoomed far and screen is not centered on party. There's also some stuttering and other jank on that part of game.
-Game also feels rather grindy, I've fought several times against similar 6 man band of bandits, but that just might be my own fault for wanting to recruit polearm or arbalest men which seem to be rather rare for some reason.
-Every soldier has 2 weapon skills and they´re seem to be tied to using those weapons. As far as I can tell, there's no way to make hammer/shield dude wield a crossbow.
-I thought pavise referred to certain type of great shield used in sieges.
-I probably should play on "Emperor" difficulty which game recommends, but decided to keep some settings lower (and saves on) for testing purposes.

Some screens:
4fc34756f9e97bb5.png

a059ba52f93c0a45.png

921fe041e2b32b91.png

09666b6eeb48ad76.png

84947208095c26d9.png

[/ISPOILER]
610c91594cde814f.png

f23b3d31cc96bdd5.png

716f0a1fe6067b45.png

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I can clarify a few things too.

- Yeah ranged units will generally run away as well as polearm but there is a chance that they'll stand their ground too.
- Monster type units will make a return in the free post-release content.
- Settlement modifiers will impact what the town offers/contracts/recruits etc. Prosperity increases quality of goods in marketplace, Affinity increases contract payout, buy/sell prices, recruit quality. Security initial recruitment price, military will increase the level cap that recruits can start at.
- There is an option called "Quick Interactions", if you toggle it on, in the town menu you can skip all that except for the manor/arena for contracts/arena fights.
- The input and perk marker are solid ideas, I'll put it down on the list for the future and see what I can do about it.
- For the camera you can press "Left Shift" to centre the camera back on the player, works in overworld and combat maps. If you get map stuttering with the camera, you can press "H" to enable a simplified HUD and it should reduce the stuttering.
- It does get grindy on harder difficulties, but there is an EXP slider and leaving "Killing Blow" off which would give EXP to all party members instead of only the one that killed the enemy should speed things up considerably. Once you get enough crowns, you can buy "Supplies" to set up camp and each day, you can train once which will grant EXP to all party members so it can be a quick way to level up recruits again.
- Yes the backgrounds are tied to weapon types and have specific combinations.
- I called it a Pavise as in future games I want to implement different shield types and just wanted to go with one word for each shield type and avoid calling it tower shield, kite shield etc.
- You'll get longer playthroughs on Emperor difficulty, but yeah better to try it out on more forgiving settings first to get a feel of things.

Looks cool. i didn't see the option to rent wenches to boost soldier morale though. Not historically accurate enough.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started this up today, just dipping my toes in. Ran around, recruited some dudes, fought a battle. The presentation is extremely like Mount and Blade, which is pretty neat. The production values are higher than I'd expected from a one-man project. Liking everything I've seen so far.

Hey Infinitron, how about a newspost about the release? You did one for the Early Access launch, after all.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
oh
Game is now out of EA and is at 40% off :salute:

Cheers mate, was just about to do my rounds here.

it's already out. Bought.

Yeah I bought it without a second thought too. It's only $6 and the dev is a fellow monocled member of this prestigious magazine. Plus game looks good. Hopefully this will pave the way for a bigger project.

Cheers mate, yeah it was the codex that discovered me after all, all those years back. Always will be grateful for that. Yup, that's the plan, there will be more games to come after this.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Started this up today, just dipping my toes in. Ran around, recruited some dudes, fought a battle. The presentation is extremely like Mount and Blade, which is pretty neat. The production values are higher than I'd expected from a one-man project. Liking everything I've seen so far.

Hey Infinitron, how about a newspost about the release? You did one for the Early Access launch, after all.

That would be great but I'm fine either way. Thanks a lot for supporting, I'm glad you are enjoying it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom