Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Dead Monarchy: Open-World | Turn-Based | Mercenary Management | RPG - Fully Released May 19th 2023

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
https://dead-monarchy.com

Greetings fellow gamers,

I've come over from the Battle Brothers forums after I was suggested to make a post here about my game. Dead Monarchy is my passion project, the closest I can get to my dream game on my own. I have been working on this full-time for a year and a half but it has been in conceptualization since I was 18, I am 24 now.

As of now, I am still working out the kinks in my combat system, there is a lot of polish that I am still working on implementing but I feel like it's at the stage where I can show it off to at least give you guys some sort of idea of what direction I'm going in.

I am aiming for a demo somewhere between now and the end of September. If all goes well, early access version will release by the end of the year. EA version will contain "Survival Mode", which is a combat heavy focused mode, with minor base management mechanics. Over time I will continue expanding Dead Monarchy until I am able to implement "Monarchy Mode".

Monarchy Mode is kind of like Battle Brothers meets Total War but on a more intimate scale. Most of the framework is actually done already but seeing as I am one person, I don't want to promise too much too soon. Nevertheless this is my dream game and my passion project so I will continue working on this for years.

After playing RimWorld and BB, as early access games I thought they did EA justice, so I would like to continue that trend. At this point in time, I don't think I'll go the kickstarter route as I am unproven. Once the demo is out and I get some real feedback I may reconsider my approach but for now I am doubling down on getting a combat level out with the majority of the mechanics implemented inside.

You can find more information about my game and myself on my website. My website is updated frequently and just bear in mind it is still under going "construction".

https://dead-monarchy.com/

Cheers,
Kevin.

Last edited by a moderator:

laclongquan

Arcane
That name~ It's not very inspiring or catchy

"From the ashes of dynasty...
Deads of Dynasty...
Fall of Dynasty...
Dynastic Demise..."

Something a little bit catchy or tickle our tender sensibility.

Not that bland name monarchy

PrettyDeadman

Bantichai, could you please change the layout of your blogpost? An image shouldn't take half of a screen space while text take other half. It would be easier to read your updates if text is centered.

This is what I am talking about:

I am using Google Chrome ver. 55.0.3029.110, screen resolution 1920x1080.

If I sacle UI to 200% (or open chrom developer tools in regular scale) text goes under the image.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Bantichai, could you please change the layout of your blogpost? An image shouldn't take half of a screen space while text take other half. It would be easier to read your updates if text is centered.

This is what I am talking about:

I am using Google Chrome ver. 55.0.3029.110, screen resolution 1920x1080.

If I sacle UI to 200% (or open chrom developer tools in regular scale) text goes under the image.

I'll look into it, thanks for the feedback :)

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Interesting that a Thai developer has named his game "dead monarchy"... As the saying goes, any resemblance to actual events is purely coincidental...
:martini:

Purely coincidental my friend, contrary to popular belief I am in fact, full Chinese. Born and bred in Australia. As to my surname, that's another story :)

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer

Deads of Dynasty...
Fall of Dynasty...
Dynastic Demise..."

Thanks for the feedback :)

PrettyDeadman

I am not sure how it works, my account is ancient by codex's standarts, but since you are a developer mods can probably make an exception for you (if there are any restrictions to new users accounts) if you write them, one of them already posted in this thread (Infinitron).

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
I am not sure how it works, my account is ancient by codex's standarts, but since you are a developer mods can probably make an exception for you (if there are any restrictions to new users accounts) if you write them, one of them already posted in this thread (Infinitron).

Ahh great. Thanks for that :)

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Interesting that a Thai developer has named his game "dead monarchy"... As the saying goes, any resemblance to actual events is purely coincidental...
:martini:

Purely coincidental my friend, contrary to popular belief I am in fact, full Chinese. Born and bred in Australia. As to my surname, that's another story :)

Here at the Codex we love stories about people's ethnic backgrounds.

Deads of Dynasty...
Fall of Dynasty...
Dynastic Demise..."

I think "dead monarchy" is a bad title for a very different reason: There are wayyyyyy too many games starting with "dead" in the title, 7 in my steam library alone, so you're just going to invite confusion and crowd yourself. Give us a summary of the plot and we will be happy to brainstorm some appropriate alternatives.

You do make a good point. However currently I am more focused on getting a combat demo out first. Story details and perhaps my own story will come in time, I will be sure to post it here. The dev-blog on combat may come across a little convoluted so I would like to make videos to address that first :P

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Oh I see you made it over. I registered on your site to tell you to come here. Kindly disregard that password I used, I use it for banking, etc.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Oh I see you made it over. I registered on your site to tell you to come here. Kindly disregard that password I used, I use it for banking, etc.

LOL, thank you for registering to my forum regardless. Someone over on Battle Brothers forums told me to come on over here. Looking forward to sharing more information in due time and always open to feedback :)

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
can you make units "RUN" in battlefield instead of walking?

Animations are pretty easy for me to adjust, I do have run animations. If your main concern is animation speed, I am looking into ways for speeding up animations, at that point running/walking probably wouldn't make a difference :P

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys, just a quick video in between working on the bigger combat update. I've established the foundation for basic NPC pathfinding and triggering animations along certain points in the path. This will allow for more complex NPC movement like drunkards, wandering villagers, patrolling guards that interact etc.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Also just a quick update to the combat, I'll list here the things that will be implemented in the next videos covering combat. I am aiming to have it functional hopefully by the end of the month. From that point on, I really want to focus on pushing out a combat demo so you guys can rip it apart :P

1. AOO (Attack of Opportunity) system that functions similar to the one in AOD/Expeditions/BB.
2. Knockback attacks.
3. Quality of life features for cell highlights, IE yellow flashing tiles for active unit.
4. Camera transitions, IE so camera focusing on start of active unit's turn. (I am thinking of giving the player the ability to toggle on and off in combat)
5. Small UI updates, you might notice that some of the text and ability icons are somewhat blurry.
6. Flanking modifiers are already implemented too, but the immediate player feedback that the UI provides to the player is currently somewhat convoluted. This is due to units rotating on unrestricted angles rather than following the grid orientation. If I restrict rotation to grid orientation you get situations where archers that attack in non-linear directions, not "realistically rotating" to the target which I find awkward. The flip side is when engaging a unit that has rotated on a unrestricted angle flanking becomes harder to judge as their backs/sides are no longer lined up the grid orientation. I am thinking of implementing "flanking lines" that project to any units that might result in a flank based on where your unit moves. A back flank would have a red line project from the tile you are moving to and the flanked unit, flanking on the left/right would project a yellow line. The other way would be to rotate the units back to grid orientation angles after an attack, but nevertheless flanking indication needs to be clearer on the UI side.

As mentioned, in the upcoming combat video I will go over these features and explain more in-depth about the combat. Still working on features for speeding up animations.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom