Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space remake from Motive Studios

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Last edited by a moderator:

JDR13

Arcane
According to Gematsu, the new Dead Space game will be a “reimagining” of the series, rather than a straight sequel to the existing trilogy of games.

Good. Dead Space 3 was hot garbage as far as the plot. I'm glad they're not continuing from there.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
IP can stay dead with Visceral tbh.
Letting the Andromeda devs do a "reimagining" of their baby just seems like petty vindictiveness, what the fuck is their problem?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What are the chances EA revives Dead Space?

If the remaster/nostalgia trend continues to print money as it has been for the past couple of years, you are GARANTEED some sort of Dead Space release. Be it a new coat of paint on the old games, or new games, or mobile spinoff.
Basically lets see if Mass Effect remaster sells well, and if that is the catalyst to release a new big AAA+ Mass Effect game, and if that does well. If all the planets align, you could see the same tried with Dead Space.

Codex Year of the Donut
This is the studio that EA turned Bioware Montreal into.
No, it's not : Motive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motive_Studios
The Montreal studio of BioWare, another EA developer, was merged into Motive in August 2017.

Which do you think had more employees:
A studio recently founded that produced nothing
OR
a studio that just recently shipped a AAA game with a massive budget?

Motive is Bioware Montreal under a different name.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It's possible, considering this whole remaster and remake age. It's also a way for them to see how much interest it is in this franchise anymore. From what I heard, it will be a reimagining of sorts. Who knows? Maybe it'll be stunning and brave with a female, black, lesbian, amputee lead fighting an army of toxic necromorphs, mutated by the recombinant virus of masculinity who wish to make everyone whole into an enormous patriarchal Brethren Moon. Can you imagine?

Wow I’m dumb. For a second when I saw Motive I mistook them for Motion Twin and thought it was an incredibly gutsy and possibly massively inclined move on EA’s part.

But of course this is not the reality where we can have nice things.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
It's possible, considering this whole remaster and remake age. It's also a way for them to see how much interest it is in this franchise anymore. From what I heard, it will be a reimagining of sorts. Who knows? Maybe it'll be stunning and brave with a female, black, lesbian, amputee lead fighting an army of toxic necromorphs, mutated by the recombinant virus of masculinity who wish to make everyone whole into an enormous patriarchal Brethren Moon. Can you imagine?

Ellie is half way there she was missing an eye and is brown. I always thought it made more sense to have her instead of Carver as the second player in 3.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
If EA revives Dead Space as a AAA it's going to have:

Season passes
Loot boxes
Multiplayer
A battle royale mode
etc.

Realistically, the best use of the license EA would greenlight is an Among US rip off.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Would Dead Space be more frightening in first person? I don't know if reimagining only means for the story or the gameplay as well.

JDR13

Arcane
The first two games are still the best action-oriented sci-fi horror games out there.

The only thing that hasn't aged well are the M+K controls which were never very good to begin with.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://venturebeat.com/2021/07/01/dead-space-remake-is-in-the-works-at-motive/

Dead Space remake is in the works at Motive

Electronic Arts has Star Wars: Battlefront II co-developer Motive working on a new Dead Space game. Eurogamer and Gematsu first reported the existence of the game, and GamesBeat can confirm parts of what each outlet has heard. While a new Dead Space is coming, Motive is rebooting the franchise with a full-fledged remake.

I’ve reached out to EA for comment, and will update this story with any input from the publisher.

For its Dead Space game, Motive is taking notes from Capcom’s recent Resident Evil remakes. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake, expect the next Dead Space to use the original game as a strong foundation. But it should also have modern visuals. And it will likely bring in new gameplay mechanics inspired by other entries in the franchise.

And speaking of Capcom, it is likely a major reason a new Dead Space is happening. While EA has let its horror franchise wither, the Resident Evil series is larger than ever. And Capcom has provided an easy blueprint for EA to follow.

EA has likely also warmed back up to the idea of producing single-player adventures after the success of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. The publisher has made statements in the recent past about shifting its focus to live-service games. And that was part of a deliberate decision to invest less in single-player experiences following poor results for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst.

Developer DICE created Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, and that game came and went for EA. The next year, DICE released Star Wars: Battlefront II, which was even more of a disaster at launch. And yet, as a service, DICE was able to turn that game into a success over time.

EA will still pursue success in live-services, but now it may also turn to single-player franchises like Dead Space, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect to diversify beyond that business model.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What are the chances EA revives Dead Space?

If the remaster/nostalgia trend continues to print money as it has been for the past couple of years, you are GARANTEED some sort of Dead Space release. Be it a new coat of paint on the old games, or new games, or mobile spinoff.
Basically lets see if Mass Effect remaster sells well, and if that is the catalyst to release a new big AAA+ Mass Effect game, and if that does well. If all the planets align, you could see the same tried with Dead Space.

Told you.

Falksi

Arcane

SZtk5lt.gif

SALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reimagining... damn, that sucks. Might have been hard to continue the story, I don't know, but I would rather have a spin-off or something, not having all the lore already built up thrown away and restarted. Because it's current year it will be ruined.

Lemming42

Arcane
I like the original Dead Space, though I'm not sure what a remake could do for it. The only big criticism I have of the original is that your pal's betrayal at the end makes no sense - she's out to recover the marker for Earth, fair enough, whatever, but why does she also start cackling evilly and trying to leave you to die on tentacle-world? Why the sudden jarring shift into full homicidal chaotic evil? Did the game just need a villain at the last minute? Load of bullshit.

There's not really anything super-dated in the game that a remake could fix. The only hilariously 2008-specific thing I can think of is that bit where you get on the turret and shoot the asteroids, which is still fun even if it's completely tarded.

Would Dead Space be more frightening in first person? I don't know if reimagining only means for the story or the gameplay as well.

The benefit of third person is that they were able to make Isaac feel clunky and undextrous, which ties well into the whole Die Hard style where he's just some random unimpressive guy rather than an action hero. Not sure that can be easily replicated in first person without it just feeling awful to control. Those scripted bits where the tentacles grab you and your aim goes inverted would be tricky to do in first person too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom