Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space remake from Motive Studios

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Woketards don't understand subtlety. Also, making the ship darker and scarier BEFORE the zombie mutant aliens show up is missing the point. This is not meant to be WH40k.
I wonder if/when the sequel is "remastered" whether they'll touch up the blatantly evil not-Scientologist wackos to some degree. We can't have cultists as villains not anymore, or as frequently, because actual cultists are in positions of power.

Yeah, mentioned that before. Who builds a ship horror themed?
Someone who watched Event Horizon.

Machocruz

Arcane
Woketards don't understand subtlety. Also, making the ship darker and scarier BEFORE the zombie mutant aliens show up is missing the point. This is not meant to be WH40k.
I wonder if/when the sequel is "remastered" whether they'll touch up the blatantly evil not-Scientologist wackos to some degree. We can't have cultists as villains not anymore, or as frequently, because actual cultists are in positions of power.

Same energy as that behind the Demon's Souls remake's visual changes. They can only think in the most obvious, linear, and literal directions, everything has to be a direct symbol of the theme, and the only way they know how to convey that is to turn up the dial/put glaring markers on things. "This goes to 11." It's the equivalent of putting a halo and peace medallion on Christ.

Dexter

Arcane
1674860958450452.jpg

1674923349010894.jpg

1674906653879139.jpg
1674905219228449.jpg

Where the fuck is the torrent!?!
There won't be one due to denuvo. And why would you want to play it? Go play the original, it's aged like fine wine.

I've played the original 2-3 times IIRC, also played the sequel a couple times too.

Didn't like the sequel enough to play DS3.

There's plenty of stuff depicted in the remake's gameplay footage, so I'm not about to drop $60 on a remake that doesn't improve upon the original.

Machocruz

Arcane
Further proof the human race is regressing. Alien already showed how to make a spaceship foreboding while still looking "normal", 44 fucking years ago. And it hit on diversity as well, in a way that felt convincing and natural. I would say Sunshine did so too, 16 years ago, Now Including Aijinz!

lightbane

Arcane
The ending and "new" ending, so that you don't have to play this. It looks like the idea is to force the plot of the second game and third, which made ZERO sense in comparison to the first one due the change of writers and how the mysterious aliens from the first game went from being mysterious and neutral... To LOOLEVIL!!!

I like how everyone is as ugly or uglier than the alien zombies.

The ending and "new" ending, so that you don't have to play this. It looks like the idea is to force the plot of the second game and third, which made ZERO sense in comparison to the first one due the change of writers and how the mysterious aliens from the first game went from being mysterious and neutral... To LOOLEVIL!!!

I like how everyone is as ugly or uglier than the alien zombies.

How is it possible that a character model in 2023 looks worse than one from 2011. :o

Fargus

Arcane
Less personality too, Isaac looks like an npc from GTA5.
SteveHaines-GTAVee.png

What is the point of the second "imma go build some shit" ending?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

The same companies that build the ships in the Alien universe. Also in Alien (1979) there is a reason why the Nostromo is so shitty.

lightbane

Arcane
Less personality too, Isaac looks like an npc from GTA5.
SteveHaines-GTAVee.png

What is the point of the second "imma go build some shit" ending?
What's wrong with quotes? I can't quote specific people. Anyway, it's a set-up to the second game, where Isaac inexplicably builds Markers despite having no incentive to do so, in order for plot to happen. Isaac's mental state in the second game was rugged but fine, so the second ending makes less sense unless he got better offscreen.

The same companies that build the ships in the Alien universe. Also in Alien (1979) there is a reason why the Nostromo is so shitty.

I would say the ship of the OG game wasn't that bad. It even had handrails IIRC. And the setpieces with blatant videogame-y traps such as flamethrowers and spinning saws was mining equipment repurposed against you.

Ravielsk

Magister
This is a game remade for todays more modern and progressive audience.

The games Lead Senior Experience Designer Christian Cimon says

In a first for this type of game, Dead Space includes a content warning feature to allow the player to be fully informed about potentially sensitive content—and even an option to hide that content if the player chooses. “The first option will warn you of a potentially disturbing scene ahead of time,” Christian says, “by displaying a non-intrusive popup that gives a brief description of the type of event that’s waiting around the corner, or in an audio or video log before you play it. The other option will actually hide the upcoming scene behind a screen effect. You’ll still hear any audio, but a blurring effect will hide the visuals until the scene has played out.”

ds-accessibility-blog-in-text-image-2.png.adapt.1456w.png

https://www.ea.com/en-ca/news/accessibility-and-player-choice-in-dead-space
If you need to play a horror game with constant warnings that you're about to see something that may diusturb you, I think you've missed the point.
Yes, but you need to understand that the people who made this are fundamentally dysfunctional. Their worldview is so much at odds with reality that even the slightest mention of that clash causes them to hyper ventilate. A person who cannot handle seeing their own reflection or their real name is absolutely not capable of handling even a fantasy depiction of where they are ultimately headed so they need everything to be cushioned like a toddler.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Iirc, in the first game the marker is some alien device of unknown purpose, which repurposes all biological matter in its vicinity as a defense mechanism.

In the second, the protagonist is revealed to have gone insane and is building copies of it for unknown reasons (and the government is helping him, for even more unknown of a reason, probably something something bioweapon research). I think you also have a direct conversation with the new marker, but I can't recall what it says.

lightbane

Arcane
Iirc, in the first game the marker is some alien device of unknown purpose, which repurposes all biological matter in its vicinity as a defense mechanism.

In the second, the protagonist is revealed to have gone insane and is building copies of it for unknown reasons (and the government is helping him, for even more unknown of a reason, probably something something bioweapon research). I think you also have a direct conversation with the new marker, but I can't recall what it says.
IIRC, there were the Red Marker, the OG one, and the Black copies. Both cause hallucinations, but the first one was implied to be a deterrent to NOT build the second ones, as it disabled them. For unknown reasons though the Red Marker still made people insane, so it wasn't clear what the aliens' intentions were.
In the sequels any ambiguity is thrown out of the window by making the Markers lol-evil by tricking people into the "making us whole" scheme... Which is not really clear besides something like an evil Instrumentality plot until the third game, were a grimderp reveal is made.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
IIRC, the Red Marker was an inferior copy of the original Black Markers, created by the Earth government as part of some research into what they can actually do. I think the implication is that they knew what the Necromorphs were and were trying to find ways of controlling them.

Then the later games added stuff on the Brother Moons and that doomsday cult and it got weird.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The markers weren't developed enough in terms of lore, abilities, origin etc. Only the black marker had that "do not build more" function or whatever and it was mentioned in the book Martyr. The others (the copies built by humans) were evil by default.
The Moons as the final version of the necromorphs was a satisfactory idea, I think, but also underdeveloped.

JDR13

Arcane

Eh? That's not how I remember the second game. The government was building copies of the Marker, but Isaac Clarke had nothing to do with it other than the fact that they were trying to rip information about it out of his brain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom