Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise

Wunderbar

Arcane
If/when they eventually release DP 2 for PC, I hope they also port DP Origins. Perhaps that's a better way to experience the first game.
i've read that it's even worse.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Deadly Premonition was interesting jank because it was Twin Peaks filtered through the warped minds of some gooks. DP2 will be like Dark Souls 2, trying to recreate what was originally a fluke.

Malpercio

Arcane
Aye, the Director's Cut is definitely inferior to the original. Terribly framey, lighting and textures are off, and the added scenes detract from the story. The only upside is that the bad combat is far easier, but to the point of triviality.

I don't see why?

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Combat was people's main problem with the game the first time around, so invalidating its difficulty would help people get over it, although the flipside is that it can also again feel like a waste of time but for the opposite reason.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
oooooooo tuwinno peaksu? impossibru

PXHiExC.gif

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Swery was probably just making some kind of joke about that (saying he hadn't seen TP).

Repressed Homosexual
I completed Deadly Premonition on Switch. I agree that outside of the combat, this is one of the best games I ever played. It really doesn't get enough credit. In fact, no game so far has felt as close to making you part of a real world. All NPCs have their own schedules and goals, while the main story is fixed, there's a lot of tangential stuff to be involved in, and you have a lot of freedom in how you can accomplish a lot of goals.

The tone goes from comedic to serious back and forth very quickly, and never feels inappropriate. I think Swery is a very good writer, he has been able to make a game world with dozens of characters, all unique, all engaging and charming, all well written, and all well-developed. It's one of the very few times that I felt like a game wasn't treating me like a teenager, but rather like an adult. Impressive references throughout as well. I agree that this sort of style is very Suda51-like, and doesn't have that much in common with Twin Peaks.

I am 100% preordering DP2.

Most wtf moment in gaming history (don't read the comments if you want to avoid spoilers):

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
"doesn't have that much in common with Twin Peaks."

nigga...please

It's only very superficial elements that are. The setting, the "odd" characters, the eccentric FBI agent with very peculiar tastes, some stylistic elements like the velvet room... the rest is quite different and has its own style which is similar to what I saw in Suda51 games like Killer 7 or No More Heroes and stands on its own.

Even the heroes are very different. York is just a little weird and amusing and is actually very appreciative and respectful of everyone he encounters in town. Cooper, on the other hand, is an obnoxious, sarcastic know it all and a huge prick.

I also really like York's character development, I thought it was really well made, and surprisingly deep for a videogame. And you know what, every character in the game has an interesting backstory that can be expended upon.

I thought the reveal was really original too.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
The point is that it's clearly heavily inspired by Twin Peaks. There is nothing wrong with that. The world needs weird goofy Japanese Twin Peaks inspired games. This is good.

Why is this even a point of contention?

Latro

Arcane
The point is that it's clearly heavily inspired by Twin Peaks.
superficially though. this is why I don't think swery is really bullshitting about not watching twin peaks, it's very likely other people in his team did. the visual design and certain setpieces are twin peaksy sure, but the actual writing has little or nothing in common with TP, which swery did on his own I believe.

Jinn

Arcane
superficially though. this is why I don't think swery is really bullshitting about not watching twin peaks, it's very likely other people in his team did. the visual design and certain setpieces are twin peaksy sure, but the actual writing has little or nothing in common with TP, which swery did on his own I believe.

You can pay homage superficially to something while not copying it's essence, and still be inspired by it. There is too much there, from the setting, to York as a unique idiosyncratic detective, to the darkness creeping under the surface of a small town. It's not a straight copy, and clearly doesn't try to be, but there is no way Swery created something like this without having seen Twin Peaks. He was being facetious.

Latro

Arcane
There is too much there, from the setting, to York as a unique idiosyncratic detective, to the darkness creeping under the surface of a small town.
broad tropes that aren't unique to TP, which was partly satirical of detective soaps themselves

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"doesn't have that much in common with Twin Peaks."

nigga...please

Even the heroes are very different. York is just a little weird and amusing and is actually very appreciative and respectful of everyone he encounters in town. Cooper, on the other hand, is an obnoxious, sarcastic know it all and a huge prick.
Ok so this is a case of "I didn't like Twin Peaks therefore Deadly Premonition isn't a ripoff of it." I don't even care if something rips off another work so long as the end result can be appreciated in its own right (fact is that almost all creative works are taking ideas from somewhere else), but it starts to get annoying when people pretend something isn't a blatant copy.

Cooper isn't mean spirited towards the towns people at all, he loves the town and its people and is appreciative of all the changes from big city life. He has his own background, replete with quirks, which sometimes clashes with the small town, but over time he comes to like Twin Peaks and becomes good friends with his fellow officers and others. You know, just like York.

Superficial?

So I guess Swery just coincidentally made a game about a small town where a murder takes place, the murder victim being the most beautiful girl in town known by everyone, the investigation into her death uncovers darker truths about the town and its people, gradually unveiling a sinister, supernatural undercurrent. Yeah he just accidentally did that, while copying other minor but extremely specific details like the main detective's absurd love of coffee and diner food. (also bear in mind a lot of the shit in the game doesn't exist in Japan, so Swery clearly didn't absorb any of this imagery from his surroundings, he got it from American media -- like Twin Peaks)

It's interesting by virtue of being so blatant in its copying of Twin Peaks, and the fact that the only additions it makes are incompetent nonsense.

Latro

Arcane
about a small town where a murder takes place, the murder victim being the most beautiful girl in town known by everyone, the investigation into her death uncovers darker truths about the town and its people, gradually unveiling a sinister, supernatural undercurrent.

while copying other minor but extremely specific details like the main detective's absurd love of coffee and diner food.
yes, superficial details you can glean from watching the Japanese Georgia coffee commercials or a casual reading of TP's wikipedia page

GewuerzKahn

Savant
The point is that it's clearly heavily inspired by Twin Peaks.
But he wrote that the protagonist talks to some unknown person (Zach/Diane) and ends up changing his personality (Zach/Doppelganger Cooper). He even visits different dimensions (red room and white room and black lodge / white lodge).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom