Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise

distant

Learned
Finished it on Yuzu emulator just now. Clocked in at 17 hours, did just only a couple of side quests though since I was most curious about the story.

Surprisingly the game runs great (well, not worse at least), seems DP fans got lucky here - from what I've seen on the website, half of Switch games don't even start or deliver extremely subpar performance, like Zelda BotW running 4 times slower than on Switch. And let's not forger Switch has worse hardware than fucking iPhones.

I'd go so much to say that's basically a perfect sequel. Wouldn't you agree, Zach? Basically everything was enjoyable and as it was supposed to be aside from mob shooting sequences, those definitely overstayed its welcome. Especially that fucker with a door on his back. I have more nitpicks but after the ending I just cant bring myself to criticize it at all.

Nice! What specs were you running it on? As long as it's fully playable we are good to go.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Finished it on Yuzu emulator just now. Clocked in at 17 hours, did just only a couple of side quests though since I was most curious about the story.

Surprisingly the game runs great (well, not worse at least), seems DP fans got lucky here - from what I've seen on the website, half of Switch games don't even start or deliver extremely subpar performance, like Zelda BotW running 4 times slower than on Switch. And let's not forger Switch has worse hardware than fucking iPhones.

I'd go so much to say that's basically a perfect sequel. Wouldn't you agree, Zach? Basically everything was enjoyable and as it was supposed to be aside from mob shooting sequences, those definitely overstayed its welcome. Especially that fucker with a door on his back. I have more nitpicks but after the ending I just cant bring myself to criticize it at all.

Were you actually able to run it at 30fps in the city? And how are the loading times?

GewuerzKahn

Savant
I think Deadly Premonition 2's launch is still worse than Cyberpunk 2077.
I completely forgot that the game came even out.

Zyondyne

Learned

Yeah, it's just that nobody expected Deadly Premonition 2 to be good or even serviceable from a technical point of view. Or good - period. Quite the contrary. The first game isn't considered to best worst game for nothing.

flyingjohn

Arcane
When your fan base is defending poor performance as a artistic choice,i don't think you need to worry about that.

GewuerzKahn

Savant

Yeah, it's just that nobody expected Deadly Premonition 2 to be good or even serviceable from a technical point of view. Or good - period. Quite the contrary. The first game isn't considered to best worst game for nothing.
I expected it too be playable.
The first game had outdated graphics, boring shooting mechanics and tedious sidequests, but it was still playable.

Wunderbar

Arcane
PC version is coming later this year, according to Thunderful Group's (owner of Rising Star Games) financial report.

7DKWtjH.png

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
I hope it's more stable than the port of the first game, and it's not like performance can be any worse than the Switch version anyway.

I played a little bit of the Switch version and just didnt feel the same magic, despite the technical issues. Could be proven wrong if I saw it through I suppose.

flyingjohn

Arcane
"Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise requires a controller in order to play. Playing with a keyboard and mouse isn't supported."
Also no graphical options?
What is with these stupid recent trend? Even the bad ps2 ports had more options.

Performance also seems to be fixed.

SumDrunkGuy

I never played the original but I watched a full hilarious lets play of it and found the story and characters genuinely engaging. Is this worth getting?

flyingjohn

Arcane
I never played the original but I watched a full hilarious lets play of it and found the story and characters genuinely engaging. Is this worth getting?
Just watch the game on youtube at 0.5 speed and you will get the authentic deadly premonition 2 experience.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The story is ok. Less David Lynch, more of a Netflix-style detective tv show feel. Much less atmospheric than the first.

SumDrunkGuy

I can purchase both this and the original game for just a little over 80 dollars. What a steal.

Latro

Arcane
Finished this. Objectively a weaker game than the first. Le Carre lacks the charm and aesthetic of Greenvale and you can tell things were cut because of off-kilter pacing, but I still enjoyed it. Buggy as always but ran 60+ FPS for me. It’s sad because there are enough mechanics to tell they wanted to make a good action game but settled for making it an easy corridor shooter at some point in dev. But if you like SWERY and DP1, you’ll likely like this. Some people were whining about the plot, but I thought SWERY did a wonderful job with the script and balancing the plot with the future frame. Clever subversion of expectations with Zack and Aaliyah too, and I loved the Silver Case 25th ward homage at the end. I’d be more than happy for a DP3 - as long as side quests are not skimped on this time

Latro

Arcane
Re: trannies

The tranny and the black guy are the villains. Basically swery was both kinda covering himself but also setting you up by ass kissing them so hard. All the controversy is basically because he dared made the tranny and her gay black lover the antagonists - even if manipulated by Kaysen. I will say even York/Zack flip flops between praising the tranny and calling him a dirtbag criminal.

Pretty sure he (swery) is honestly progressive, which won’t win him fans here, but it didn’t stop him from telling his story - which is commendable for an artist.

911 Jumper

Educated
My opinion of Swery changed when I heard he decided to apologise for apparently offending trannies. This kind of craven knee-bending bs only emboldens the freaks. I have a copy of the first game on 360, but I've never played it. I do intend to check it out at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom