Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Tehdagah

Arcane

Looks very stealthy, you can even disguise yourself.

disposable

Novice
I have a feeling this whole thing is in many ways similar to these legendary failed projects that are called "the greatest X never made."

Something like Jodorowsky's Dune. Have you seen the documentary about it?
It was supposed to be the ultimate film. Born from the wild ambition of a surrealist artist-director, supported by a ridiculously high profile crew and cast. At the time of its planning it was projected to be the most expensive picture ever shot. Jodorowsky himself expected his film would be literally world-changing.
Of course it turned out to be too big, unconventional and expensive to make, so the project never moved past the conceptual stage. The legend survived however.
It influenced later films to a degree as some of the art made for Dune was later re-used in different movies, but that's hardly unique in film industry.

The documentary about this "greatest film never made" is interesting, but if you take a step back and look past the aura of wonder and fascination evoked by the narrative it's pretty clear the film itself wouldn't be anything special.
It would have been just another weird 70's experimental movie, made notable only by the virtue of being created by a supergroup of some of the most notorious artists of their time.
In the end I think its legend and the story of its failure is better and more interesting than the real thing could ever be.

Deff Strangling gives me the same feeling. It's going to be something you don't see every day, but it's unlikely it will live up to its own ambition or the audience's expectations.
More likely than not you will hear Hideous Kojomous complaining for years about not having enough time and money to do his vision justice, spinning tall tales of what could have been.
I expect my reaction to the completed product will be the same as it is now: an ambiguous "...interesting."

Latro

Arcane
The fact that he thinks inventory/encumbrance limits or open-world exploration are groundbreaking things never before seen
because prior to this game, they are mere incidentals meant to limit the player from zooming around the map too fast, with DT it's part of the game and the thrill. kojima has the right to talk big, nobody's given this concept the AAA treatment before him. at best, you have indie AA efforts based on survival like the long dark and etc.

kojima isn't kidding about the "need" for sequels either, DT looks like the sort of open-world game kojimmers was going for in MGSV - only he's not weighed down by the need to meet certain brand standards.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
The fact that he thinks inventory/encumbrance limits or open-world exploration are groundbreaking things never before seen
because prior to this game, they are mere incidentals meant to limit the player from zooming around the map too fast, with DT it's part of the game and the thrill. kojima has the right to talk big, nobody's given this concept the AAA treatment before him. at best, you have indie AA efforts based on survival like the long dark and etc.

kojima isn't kidding about the "need" for sequels either, DT looks like the sort of open-world game kojimmers was going for in MGSV - only he's not weighed down by the need to meet certain brand standards.
It's like Minecraft then.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

It's like Minecraft then.

No it's not.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Seems the online elements will play a larger role, for example if a lot of players will be using same path a lot, eventualy it will transform into a road

xv5e1y28v8n31.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
gameplay translated

Items can level up, you can leave rope in a place and when you will return it will be there so you can use it, ground can be slippery and you can fall down depending on your balance stats, the packages will get damaged if they fall down, you can place items like ladders and ropes anywhere you want, when climbing you have to use sensor to avoid the slippery ground so you won't slide all the way down, the side missions are as you would expect.... delivering optional stuff

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
You know how some games offer things like "hide helmet"?

After you're done playing "backpack balancing", I hope they include the hide option so I don't have to look at that incredibly stupid shit as I'm traversing the world.

Zep--

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
gameplay translated

Items can level up, you can leave rope in a place and when you will return it will be there so you can use it, ground can be slippery and you can fall down depending on your balance stats, the packages will get damaged if they fall down, you can place items like ladders and ropes anywhere you want, when climbing you have to use sensor to avoid the slippery ground so you won't slide all the way down, the side missions are as you would expect.... delivering optional stuff

People laught at this game being a walking simulator, but with this level of actual simulation, this can be bloody good. Who says that the only gameplay in a videogame should be some kind of action/figthing stuff? This can be just as rewarding.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Chiral network is the online element, you start the game without any chiral network, when you explore and complete objectives you enable also chiral network, so it means that you play without any online element at first and as the game progresses the online opens up for the areas you visited, other players leave marks on the ground (similar to dark souls shadow).

When someone else uses your item online you automaticaly get a 'like', the gear you equip on yourself brakes down and it can level up also, sam needs to sleep, rain damages packages.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
gameplay translated

The scan exposes the slippery grounds and dangerous spots and tells you where you have to go. It's like a puzzle game that answers the questions to the player.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You can build bridges, roads and houses, players online can help, whoever makes the biggest resource contribution gets his name credited.

You know how some games offer things like "hide helmet"?

After you're done playing "backpack balancing", I hope they include the hide option so I don't have to look at that incredibly stupid shit as I'm traversing the world.

Zep--

Given you can lose your equipment, I doubt they do that.

Neerasrc

Learned
Adam does not work with fox engine. The "horizon zero dawn" effect will be felt in the game. Decima game engine is not a very advanced game engine. It is best not to keep your expectations high.

sample:
uH5tkGWg.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Murder simulator >>> Walking simulator every time

Worse if you see monsters in a game with no mechanism to kill them

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Adam does not work with fox engine. The "horizon zero dawn" effect will be felt in the game. Decima game engine is not a very advanced game engine. It is best not to keep your expectations high.

sample:
uH5tkGWg.jpg

decima is not a 'horizon zero dawn' engine, it was first used in killzone shadowfall so if anything, it's an fps engine

Neerasrc

Learned

sample:
uH5tkGWg.jpg

decima is not a 'horizon zero dawn' engine, it was first used in killzone shadowfall so if anything, it's an fps engine

I like Kojima, but this time he has a game engine problem. Even if you find the most genius man in the world, if you give him a game engine that doesn't have enough mechanics, he can't do anything. Because if everything he wants to do isn't mechanically written in the game engine, there's nothing he can do. He has to make a game according to the mechanics allowed by the game engine. This limits freedom and imagination. Unfortunately, this is the case.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

sample:
uH5tkGWg.jpg

I like Kojima, but this time he has a game engine problem. Even if you find the most genius man in the world, if you give him a game engine that doesn't have enough mechanics, he can't do anything. Because if everything he wants to do isn't mechanically written in the game engine, there's nothing he can do. He has to make a game according to the mechanics allowed by the game engine. This limits freedom and imagination. Unfortunately, this is the case.
There is no such thing as "a game engine doesn't allow a mechanics" That's why there are gameplay programmers who tailor the engine to their needs. Death Stranding doesn't seem to have revolutionary gameplay mechanics from a programming standpoint, so if Horizon Zero Dawn worked well with the Decima engine, I'm sure DS will work as well.

Neerasrc

Learned

sample:
uH5tkGWg.jpg

There is no such thing as "a game engine doesn't allow a mechanics" That's why there are gameplay programmers who tailor the engine to their needs. Death Stranding doesn't seem to have revolutionary gameplay mechanics from a programming standpoint, so if Horizon Zero Dawn worked well with the Decima engine, I'm sure DS will work as well.

Is it important to keep thousands of mechanics running smoothly or to add new mechanics? Game programmers also have limits. Especially when it comes to the game engine. When the game comes out we will see it, but what we can see is not very good level. (gameplay) Also kojima seems to have made its own touch. That's good news.

Camera angle and look. -)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom