Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Joined
Sep 6, 2022
Messages
11,242
German simulator?
 

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Joined
Sep 6, 2022
Messages
11,242
Why the fuck does Kojima hire so many different movie actors? Does he think they will make his walking simulators more deep or successfull?
 

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Joined
Sep 6, 2022
Messages
11,242
The high number of actors reflects the breadth of his artistic vision
Hah.
Yeah, I'll bet.
aQRbon8_460s.jpg
 

1451

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,372
What is this game about, I started playing and it says that I played for an hour and a half but I merely touched the controller for a good twenty minutes.
Kind of disappointed that online isn't functioning so I cannot farm likes to feed my vanity.
 

Dexter

Arcane
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
15,655
I started playing and it says that I played for an hour and a half but I merely touched the controller for a good twenty minutes.
Game really starts once you reach Episode 2 with the first "larger" map opening up, but you're still trapped in a "Tutorial size" map with the game trying to introduce new gameplay mechanics gradually and teach you the basics. It really really starts once you reach Episode 3 with an even larger map with lots of other possibilities and gameplay means opening up.
 
Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Joined
Oct 26, 2014
Messages
8,441
Location
Crait
I started playing this today after finding out it was actually a part of my PS Plus Extra subscription. Got to chapter 2. This game is on the same wavelength as Werner Herzog and La Jetee/ 12 Monkeys.
 

Hellion

Arcane
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,629
"Wait, Sam, before you deliver your 600th parcel, there's something you should know..." *3-hours-long lore dump/exposition cutscene starts playing*

Meme value aside, the Asynchronus Multiplayer aspect of this game is what all single player open-world games should aim for when trying to incorporate multiplayer of any type. You know there are other people playing the game, you see their structures/cargo/gear/signs in-game and may even opt to use them to your benefit, but at no point do you actually see other players wandering around like it's an MMO. I would have preferred it if e.g. Diablo IV followed that same spirit instead of going full MMO.
 

orcinator

Liturgist
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
1,741
Location
Republic of Kongou
Meme value aside, the Asynchronus Multiplayer aspect of this game is what all single player open-world games should aim for when trying to incorporate multiplayer of any type.
Dork Souls did the whole thing better by letting you choose whether you want other people to beat the game for you.
 

illuknisaa

Cipher
Joined
Dec 23, 2013
Messages
676
I got this free from epic and I think it is ok. The game has a lot of cool mechanics that are undermined by how easy it is. I played the game on very hard and thx to servers crashing mostly offline too. I would also only do premium deliveries. Lot of times you can just press mouse buttons to win and you can driver over the roughest of terrains max speed and your cargo wont get damaged. Enemies are contained within zones that wont move so you can always plan your route to ignore them. Even timed missions are easy once you figure out the best route (you don't really need any skill executing the planned route).

Game could use more varied missions. Most can be beaten by just dumpin all the cargo on your back/truck and pressing w for 5-10 minutes. There is no mission eg. where you need chase a MULE for stolen cargo. Funnily enough the pizza missions are one of the more unique missions.

Prolly the worst part was end credits. It was like an hour long and it just repeated the story parts several times over.

Meme value aside, the Asynchronus Multiplayer aspect of this game is what all single player open-world games should aim for when trying to incorporate multiplayer of any type.
Dork Souls did the whole thing better by letting you choose whether you want other people to beat the game for you.
This isn't really true. In order to use other peoples structures you need to unlock the area first and by the time you have unlocked the area you have essentially beaten the area. You can also just play offline.
 

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Joined
Sep 23, 2012
Messages
7,528
Directors Cut is so much better it was obviously half the game getting released as per usual. Stuff like the jetbooster and catapult look really neat. I do feel the game can be too easy once you get the hang of it but you would think the reviewers never figured that out since they had issues with rocks and the bike.
 
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
190
Directors Cut is so much better it was obviously half the game getting released as per usual. Stuff like the jetbooster and catapult look really neat. I do feel the game can be too easy once you get the hang of it but you would think the reviewers never figured that out since they had issues with rocks and the bike.
Haven't really found a use for catapults yet, since zip lines exist. A lot of people seem to build catapults in the mountains where it is easy to set up a zip line network. I got a network from the area around Mountain Knot City and Photographer and Weather Station to Waystation North of Mountain City and Distribution Center North of Mountain City. Now being allowed one carrier along the zip lines it's really easy to zip around delivering goods. I went from being a 100% long range trucker building all the roads east of the mountains to South Knot City to now full on flying man. Loving the game, so much I'm started to become irritated when boss fights and whatnot interrupts my gameplay. And also started to realize I must be nearing the end of the game.
 

orcinator

Liturgist
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
1,741
Location
Republic of Kongou
This isn't really true. In order to use other peoples structures you need to unlock the area first and by the time you have unlocked the area you have essentially beaten the area. You can also just play offline.
Putting down structures is basically the only depth the gameplay has since the rest is just forward +RTLT, and don't pretend like you're always going into new areas and aren't regularly doubling back to places that are already connected.
 

Harthwain

Magister
Joined
Dec 13, 2019
Messages
5,034
Putting down structures is basically the only depth the gameplay has since the rest is just forward +RTLT, and don't pretend like you're always going into new areas and aren't regularly doubling back to places that are already connected.
You have ghosts to avoid and people with guns who want to steal your stuff. If you kill people with guns (instead of knocking them out), you have to carry them to the incinerator or it's Game Over.
 

orcinator

Liturgist
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
1,741
Location
Republic of Kongou
Putting down structures is basically the only depth the gameplay has since the rest is just forward +RTLT, and don't pretend like you're always going into new areas and aren't regularly doubling back to places that are already connected.
You have ghosts to avoid and people with guns who want to steal your stuff. If you kill people with guns (instead of knocking them out), you have to carry them to the incinerator or it's Game Over.
Oh you mean the ghosts who you can clear out by leaving the cargo behind, getting caught and running out of the zone? And the people who are trivial to fight even on the hardest difficulty?

If you kill people with guns (instead of knocking them out), you have to carry them to the incinerator or it's Game Over.
Why would you even mention this when they give you a nonlethal gun at the same time as the lethal one?
 

Harthwain

Magister
Joined
Dec 13, 2019
Messages
5,034
Oh you mean the ghosts who you can clear out by leaving the cargo behind, getting caught and running out of the zone?
Wow. I had no idea people can game the system like that. Is there even a point in playing when you're doing it this way?

And the people who are trivial to fight even on the hardest difficulty?
Your point was that the gameplay is shallow as it only has balance to consider, so I provided a counterpoint.

Why would you even mention this when they give you a nonlethal gun at the same time as the lethal one?
Two reasons:

1) Because it's nice to have a game where there is no ludonarrative dissonance, even though the setting itself is crazy.
2) Because it makes killing people a choice that has actual gameplay consequences.
 

orcinator

Liturgist
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
1,741
Location
Republic of Kongou
Wow. I had no idea people can game the system like that. Is there even a point in playing when you're doing it this way?
Almost like the mechanics are retarded when the punishment for failure is less punishing than trying not to fail. (trying not to fail involves doing what you're always doing but at a slower pace).
Your point was that the gameplay is shallow as it only has balance to consider, so I provided a counterpoint.
Walking makes up 95% of your playtime, it IS the gameplay and the remaining 5% is just as shallow.

Two reasons:
Neither of which has anything to do with the gameplay since lethal/nonlethal is a non-choice and the game wouldn't have changed if they never gave you lethals.



There is no mission eg. where you need chase a MULE for stolen cargo.
There is at least one.
There's one part where mules are carrying the crap you have to fetch but there's never a moment where you're chasing them through the terrain.
 

Harthwain

Magister
Joined
Dec 13, 2019
Messages
5,034
Walking makes up 95% of your playtime, it IS the gameplay and the remaining 5% is just as shallow.
Ah, the oversimplification fallacy.

It's not just "walking" - you can use various vechicles as well. You can also climb, ride the zip-line, etc. The game is less about "walking" and more about navigating the terrain. It's not the same. The gameplay has so many moving parts attached to it that trying to sum its gameplay as "walking" is flat out wrong. The game is literally packed with stuff: various vehicles, structures and items (including weapons). You also have environmental effects, such as snow or rocks. Hell, you even have to pay attention to such details as weight distribution, power of the current or balance. But according to you you're just walking... Honestly, I'd love to see more games able to accomplish 5% of what Death Stranding can do within its "5%" and maintain a similar level of "shallowness" when it comes to gameplay.
 

orcinator

Liturgist
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
1,741
Location
Republic of Kongou
Ah, the oversimplification fallacy.
Your main brainworm here is mistaking complexity for depth. The game has a ton of stuff and NONE of it matters. Climbing involves pressing jump and putting down ladders (if there isn't a ladder there already) Traversal tools just make the already shallow walking even easier. Rocks show up twice, whiteouts show up once and neither offers any sort of challenge. Weight distribution just means don't max out your load limit and press a button to automatically put stuff on your shoulders. "Power of the current" just means don't step in the deep water....

Walking makes up 95% of your playtime, it IS the gameplay and the remaining 5% is just as shallow.
 
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom