Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

wrong del toro buddy

tormund

Arcane
This game is still launching on PC some time after PS4, right?
They promised that very early on, and then soon retracted that statement. It is doubtful how much of this project even existed at that point.

Given that they use Sony's engine, given the Sony's financing and the involvement of their staff in the development, I'd say that it is unlikely that this will appear on PC.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This will be another third person stealth game? Kojima hadn't done anything else.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.shacknews.com/article/97...ing-will-run-on-guerrilla-games-decima-engine

During today's special Death Stranding presentation lead by Geoff Keighley and featuring Hideo Kojima himself, we learned a good chunk of new information surrounding the game and the engine it will be running on.

Kojima's new studio Kojima Productions will in fact utilize the Decima engine, which was developed by Horizon Zero Dawn's studio Guerrilla Games, for Death Stranding. PlayStation 4 system architect Mark Cerny was onstage with Guerrilla Games director Hermen Hulst to chat about Decima, which is coincidentally known as "Dejima" in Japan.

Utilizing the Decima engine, which is more than just rendering, as Hulst remarked, is appropriate when it comes to working on "open worlds," according to Hideo Kojima. While the company is hard at work putting the game together, a smaller version of Kojima Productions will be launching from within Guerrilla Games in Amsterdam.

So it's based on Guerilla's engine, not the one from SuckerPunch.

Gerrard

Arcane
pK3pxvK.jpg

Did you rike it?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It'll be overhyped to fuck once he shows any actual gameplay, he'll blow through 50+ million dollars and make a shit to average game and disappoint everyone. Konami did nothing wrong.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Judging by the hype the game will suck majorly. I can't remember any game that was super hyped and ended up as nothing but a wet toss. Still even if it is bad there will be a lot of entertainment coming from the fandom. The worst thing that could happen is to just fizzle out and flop silently without anyone giving a fuck about it.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
We´ll see. I have the opinion that Kojima is the type of creative genius that needs bounds and restraints to not get out of control and maintain some kind of focus.

Konami is evil and shit, but they gave him a lot of time and money to make MGSV. If they hadn't forced him to release, he would have spent another five years with the project stuck, spending tons of money, hiring new B grade actors acquaintances to make motion capture and 20 lines of voice.

Sony need him for hardcore gamers trust, image and loyalty, but they are business sharks and I guess they know how to deal with this stuff. I hope they have given him limited freedom and understanding support. I think this is the kind of environment where Kojima can make his best. Too much freedom or too much control, and his fail would be the most epic one in the last 5 years of gaming.

PD: maybe you think I'm mad, but my main concern with Kojima is how much mesmerized is with western current culture. I follow him on twitter and he is obsessed with modern Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Blade runner 2017 and other recent shitty movies. For me this is worse signal than 2 years without showing gameplay.

If he likes so much the declined present western popular culture, something is very wrong. People like Japanese culture in part because is fresh air compared with the dull and rotted western one. Western mainstream gaming is boring nowadays, the last thing we need is another westernized mainstream creator. We all felt in love with MGS because it's craziness, creativity, attention to detail, weirdness. We are not going to get that with a popamolized Kojima fascinated with Horizon Zero Dawn or GTA like he has been recently.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
We´ll see. I have the opinion that Kojima is the type of creative genius that needs bounds and restraints to not get out of control and maintain some kind of focus.

Konami is evil and shit, but they gave him a lot of time and money to make MGSV. If they hadn't forced him to release, he would have spent another five years spending tons of money, hiring new B grade actors acquaintances to make motion capture and 20 lines of voice.

Sony need him for hardcore gamers trust, image and loyalty, but they are business sharks and I guess they know how to deal with this stuff. I hope they have given him limited freedom and understanding support. I think this is the kind of environment where Kojima can make his best. Too much freedom or too much control, and his fail would be the most epic one in the last 5 years of gaming.

PD: maybe you think I'm mad, but my main concern with Kojima is how much mesmerized is with western current culture. I follow him on twitter and he is obsessed with Wonder Woman, Blade runner 2017 and other recent shitty movies. For me this is worse signal than 2 years without showing gameplay.

If he likes so much the declined present western popular culture, something is very wrong. People like Japanese culture in part because is fresh air compared with the dull and rotted western one. Western mainstream gaming is boring nowadays, the last thing we need is another westernized mainstream creator. We all felt in love with MGS because it's craziness, creativity, attention to detail, weirdness. We are not going to get that with a popamolized Kojima fascinated with Horizon Zero Dawn or GTA like he has been recently.
2993581-jj.jpg

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's what I was talking about. Kojima with Jew Jar Abrams.

Feel the decline.

Cross

Arcane

Konami is evil and shit, but they gave him a lot of time and money to make MGSV. If they hadn't forced him to release, he would have spent another five years with the project stuck, spending tons of money, hiring new B grade actors acquaintances to make motion capture and 20 lines of voice.

PD: maybe you think I'm mad, but my main concern with Kojima is how much mesmerized is with western current culture. I follow him on twitter and he is obsessed with Wonder Woman, Blade runner 2017 and other recent shitty movies. For me this is worse signal than 2 years without showing gameplay.

What fantasyland do you live in? Kojima paved the way for crap like Uncharted. Kojima and other prominent Japanese developers pioneered and popularized 'cinematic gaming' trends like quick time events, cover-based shooting and having hours of elaborately choreographed, expensive cutscenes (with awful writing and voice acting to boot). Guess who's responsible for funding Naughty Dog's, David Cage's and Guerrilla's games? Sony, a Japanese company.

The gameplay mechanics in the MGS series have always been abysmal compared to its stealth game contemporaries. With the exception of MGSV, and I'd sooner attribute that to the rank and file employees of Konami rather than Kojima, considering how much of an anomaly it is. The fact that Metal Gear Solid has been by far the most influential title on the stealth genre is one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

And I will never understand why people praise Kojima for his writing of all things. The MGS series is nothing but a juvenile, incoherent pastiche of Kojima's favorite Hollywood blockbusters. That's all Kojima seems to be capable of (see also Snatcher, aka Blade Runner anime edition). Intellectually and creatively, his body of work is no better than something like GTA or The Last of Us. And that's not even going into the specifics of his writing, such as how nobody in Kojima's games behaves remotely like a normal human being. His characters are walking exposition devices, who will talk for sometimes hours about the most inane military trivia in extremely stilted and unnatural dialogue.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What fantasyland do you live in? Kojima paved the way for crap like Uncharted. Kojima and other prominent Japanese developers pioneered and popularized 'cinematic gaming' trends like quick time events, cover-based shooting and having hours of elaborately choreographed, expensive cutscenes (with awful writing and voice acting to boot). Guess who's responsible for funding Naughty Dog's, David Cage's and Guerrilla's games? Sony, a Japanese company.

The difference is that before Kojima was influenced by James Bond, John Carpenter movies like Escape from New York,etc. Now he is Jerking off with Mary Sue Star Wars and Wonder Womyn. You are the one living in a fantasy land if you are not able to see the difference.

It's true that Kojima's games were cinematic, but not in a popamole modern way, at least until MGS4. It's also true that some of the mechanics were not the best. But the overall package was compelling.

I get you don't like his style and you can sperg all you want about his shortcomings, we can do that with almost every game or director ever with some notable exceptions. But comparing his creativity to Naughty Dog or popamole gaming is insane. I'm not even a Kojima fanboy, but for me it's clear that if he is not going to deliver a good game, it's another nail in the coffin of mainstream gaming, you like it or not. What else do you have around that at least has some kind of personality?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
eh and still no gameplay

graphics, story and presentation gonna be great...... but this is a game, where is muh gameplay?

Black

Arcane
Of course, kojima and gameplay go hand in hand.
He's a wannabe film director, concerned about the rise of "right wing" in USA and hanging out with similar hacks like jew jew abrams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom